AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2018-06-10, 13:21   Link #1
Izumo Kousaka

Could anyone confirm this translation? ENG to JAP

Hi all, I've been trying not to rely on Google Translate so much, but I haven't found much information via searching online so I was hoping maybe someone could give me a hand or hopefully confirm a translation for me.

The phrase is "The Terror of Death", the title of the character Haseo from the .Hack//G.U. franchise of PlayStation 2 games.

So far, this is all I've found:
死の恐怖
shi no kyoufu

composition:
死(shi) = death
の(no) = of ; AのB is B of A
恐怖(kyoufu) = terror

If anyone could help me confirm this, I'd be very grateful. Long story short, this has been my favorite game franchise since forever, and I want to get a tattoo but want it in Japanese characters.
Izumo Kousaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-12, 04:28   Link #2
Jaden

It's correct, not even any alternate reading or double meaning to worry about. Though it is a rather ominous phrase.

I think kanji tattoos are cringe, but at least doing the research and getting it right makes you better than most
Old 2018-06-12, 07:46   Link #3
TwilightsCall

Send a message via MSN to TwilightsCall
Like Jaden said, that's accurate, yes. Though I'd keep in mind that's basically like getting a tattoo that says "I'm afraid of dying." Which isn't such an unreasonable thing to say, but might not be exactly what you're going for. There isn't really a way in Japanese to distinguish it as the kind of moniker or title like how it's used in .Hack, so the average person reading it will just see "fear of death" and probably interpret that in whatever way seems most plausible.

Though the vast majority of Japanese people will have a very coloured perception of you just from the fact you have a tattoo, so you probably don't need to worry all that much about what it says to them :P If anything, that might work in your favor as far as how they interpret it.
TwilightsCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-13, 21:47   Link #4
Izumo Kousaka

Thank you both for your replies and help. I don't mind other people interpretations of it though. On the other hand, it won't be just the text by itself, it will be a multi-step project which will incorporate other elements and images to go with it, all having to do with the game of course.
Izumo Kousaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-16, 07:26   Link #5
Zefyris
図書館狼

FYI, regularly for stuff like"cool titles", just trying to translate it xord by word won't give you the correct answer. In this precise case however, after checking the japanese wiki page, this is really his title, so np for this one~.