AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2008-02-05, 10:32   Link #1
Hunter
Bubbly and super fun

[Manga] Chapter 388 Discussion

Welcome to the weekly manga chapter discussion thread. This thread is created early to discuss spoilers and speculation about the upcoming chapter.

As per the forums rules, please don't ask for or mention about where to download the (licensed) manga. Also remember not to post or link to any translations of the manga, since this is illegal as well. Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome) but please do not discuss scans, raws, translation groups, etc.

Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant part of the chapters. This stands for pics and direct translations.
Summaries are ok, crops of pics are ok as well if you want to illustrate your point but this is it.

鼬「もう片方も貰うぞ」
Itachi: "One more eye left for me."

サスケェ、鼬から離れる。鼬、片目をしまう
Sasuke gets away from Itachi, sans one eye from Itachi

鼬「これが力の差だ、お前とオレの瞳力の差だ」
Itachi: "This is the difference in power between us. The difference in the power of our eyes."

鼬、サスケェの背後に回り羽交い絞め
Itachi has Sasuke's arms bound behind his back

ゼツ「案外早かったね。イタチの勝ちだ」
Zetsu: "Well, that was surprisingly quick. Itachi won."

右目を抉り出される刹那何か時間が止まったのか止まってないのか分からん描写
The moment the left eye is gouged out, there's some scene where we don't know if time has stopped or not

ゼツ「だって月読食らったんだよ。もう動けないんだからあとは好きに料理できるでしょ・・・あ れ?」
Zetsu: "Then again, he DID take that Tsukuyomi blast full-on. He won't be moving anymore, so I wonder if I can help myself to a nice little snack afterwa-....wait huh?"

サスケェの両目は無事
Sasuke's eyes are safe and sound

サスケェ「ハァハァ・・・(ニヤッ 言ったハズだ。アンタがその眼をいくら使おうがこの俺の憎 しみで幻は現 実になると」
Sasuke: *huff* *huff* "I thought I told you. It doesn't matter how many times you use your eyes. Hatred will make my dream a reality."

鼬「その台詞、そのまま返しておこう。さっきの月読で己の眼がもがれる幻は見ただろう。ならば それを現実に してやる」
Itachi: "I'll say the same thing back at you. You saw for yourself the illusion of your eyes submerged through that Tsukuyomi. Now I'll make it a reality."

ゼツ「鼬の醸す空気が変わった!本気になったようだ・・・あの天照が見れるかもしれんぞ
   え!天照を!?そりゃ楽しみだ、やっぱこっち来て正解だった!!」
Zetsu: "Itachi's mood has changed! Looks like he's taking it serious. May even be able to see that Amaterasu of his."
"Huh!? See Amaterasu! Ooh, can't wait to see that! I knew coming here was the right thing!"

鼬、印を結ぶポーズでおわし
It ends with Itachi forming seals

Last edited by Hunter; 2008-02-07 at 06:39.
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 10:49   Link #2
Rurik
Golden

Interesting indeed, It seems that Amateratsu has a reputation amongst Akatsuki based on Zetsu comments. But, I wonder was is the purpose of Itachi using Amateratsu against Sasuke, when he needs Sasuke's Eyes. I hope Kishi is not planning one of those WTF moments favoring Sasuke.
Old 2008-02-05, 10:59   Link #3
Adediran242
Konoha-nin =[(:<@-:)]=

3RD POST, w00t!!! Tis possibly the closest i'll get to first so i'm gonna savour it!

Anywho, back on topic, I believe that most of us knew it was a genjutsu, Sasuke couldn't have his pretty little eyes plucked or fanboys/girls would pipebomb Kishi's house! I like Rurik's idea of Amaterasu and Tsukuyomi having a reputation in Akatsuki. But this raise interesting questions about Zetsu himself. He seems to know alot about Itachi's techniques, could he be Madara's left-hand man?

Desperately need a good artist with some time on their hands. PM me if you are him (or her)
Adediran242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 11:15   Link #4
Hunter
Bubbly and super fun

Well considering there clearly was a close up of Itachi's MS just before the attack where Sasuke was overwhelmed, MS Genjutsu was the most probable answer but I'm still a little disapointed even if not surprised.
I expected at least a Genjutsu chapter to get it out the way since the both of them have the same ability and at least another one to see Sasuke resisting against MS Genjutsu but I would have prefered something different -and later in the fight.
Old 2008-02-05, 11:26   Link #5
Adediran242
Konoha-nin =[(:<@-:)]=

I agree with you, but only to an extent. I believe that Kishi is getting the nin/tai/genjutsu quite right. The last issue was impressive because of the brilliant display. Plus, we all know Itachi's specialty is Genjutsu, so his falling back on his laurels. This shows me that for once, Saskue poses a threat to his older brother if he keeps forcing him to revert to petty illusions.

Desperately need a good artist with some time on their hands. PM me if you are him (or her)
Adediran242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 11:42   Link #6
Quzor
It's the year 3030...

I wonder about the possibility of seeing the third MS technique during this battle. With Zetsu making such a big deal about the other two (Tsukuyomi and AmaterIasu), I wonder if the third one (Susanoo?) will be revealed in this battle.

Also, I hope there's more information released about Zetsu, either after or during this fight. There's so many unanswered questions about him: How did Tobi/Madara become his subordinate? Does he know about the whole "Tobi is Madara" thing? Does he have any battle abilities? These are the questions to which I want answers.
Old 2008-02-05, 11:45   Link #7
Hunter
Bubbly and super fun

He didn't force Itachi to revert to "petty" illusion, Itachi just used a Tsukuyomi on Sasuke.
I don't know if you noticed but the end of last chapter and apparently the beginning of this one is the repeat of what happened in the hotel's corridor pretimeskip.
Itachi blocked Sasuke's attack, kicked him away toward the opposite wall, punched him in the gut and used Tsukuyomi to mental rape him... Except this time Sasuke apparently took the blow and is still good enough shape to keep fighting.

As I said I'm not surprised because we basically knew it was going to happen since Itachi used this attack for the first time and said only someone with the same blood blahblah could defeat it but I think the Genjutsu part of this fight is too... How can I say that, too concentrated.
There should be more Ninjutsu inbetween these instances to mix up what they are doing. Now I'm yet to see the chapter and perhaps the Tsukuyomi will show some funny pics of Itachi gouging out Sasuke's eye over and over which would give a different touch to this Genjutsu (I'm not sure what the whole "time seems to have stopped or not is meant to represent) so I'm going to wait until Friday but I hope the Tsukuyomi kept its distinctive appearance.
Old 2008-02-05, 12:09   Link #8
Alleluia_Cone
Prospective Cog

I might be slow here, but is the spoiler basically saying:

-- Itachi used Tsukuyomi on Sasuke just to mess with his head?

-- Following this, Itachi has a hold of a fake Sasuske...

-- The real Sasuke emerges and now Itachi is getting ready to use Amaterasu on him...

I'm completely lost here, and I'm not even going to speculate on the time-stop aspects of the spoilers because I'll end up sounding stupider than I already do...
Alleluia_Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 12:24   Link #9
Hunter
Bubbly and super fun

No, apparently Itachi used a Tsukuyomi on Sasuke to end the fight but Sasuke was able to withstand it so Itachi decided to get serious.
Zetsu isn't really saying Itachi is going to tuse Amaterasu immediately but since now Itachi stopped playing around they might see the jutsu eventually.
Old 2008-02-05, 12:30   Link #10
Sabaku Kyu
The Ironman

So Sasuke getting eye-gouged turned out to be an illusion. I figured that Itachi was using MS in order to trap Sasuke, no surprise that a genjutsu was Sasuke's salvation, but I groaned a little when I saw it was Itachi's Tsukuyomi. Now if Sasuke wins it's going to be one of those situations where victory came only because the villain foolishly gave up an obvious chance to win.

It's hard to justify Itachi's actions as anything other than pure cockiness. I like that Itachi's still stronger than Sasuke and that this is a David vs. Goliath type fight but is Sasuke going to win by Itachi giving him "do-overs" every time he's beaten? And if turns out Sasuke is going to lose, well then, there really doesn't seem much point in prolonging the battle.

On a positive note, I am looking forward to maybe seeing Amaterasu again (though this doesn't seem to be the situation to use it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quzor
Also, I hope there's more information released about Zetsu, either after or during this fight. There's so many unanswered questions about him: How did Tobi/Madara become his subordinate? Does he know about the whole "Tobi is Madara" thing? Does he have any battle abilities? These are the questions to which I want answers.
Judging by his talk with Pein, I'd say Zetsu is aware of Tobi/Madara connection.

Sabaku Kyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 12:33   Link #11
Dwolfwood
GUNSLINGING PREACHER MAN

it looks like sasuke whats to either (a) see the extent of the MS or (b) live long enough for itachi to completely destroy his own vision

now for the spoiler itachi was toying with sasuke showing him how easy it is to take sasuke eyes, i think that a bad move on itachi part because sasuke will eventually find out what itachi limits are, cause remember when he carelessly use the MS against kakashi and how burned out he was after he used it, he was so week he ran away from Gai,Asuma, and the other chick.

at this point sasuke surpassed them, so if itachi doesn't finish the job the next few MS attack he's is gonna be in deep trouble.
Dwolfwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 12:34   Link #12
siya
An Intellectual Idiot

Location: The Internet, ranging from the World of Warcraft------Deviantart----and much more!..My mostly WoW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaku Kyu View Post

Judging by his talk with Pein, I'd say Zetsu is aware of Tobi/Madara connection.
Now...If Zetsu is away of the Tobi/Madara connection...why would Tobi have any reason to act as he did when he was first introduced? Even when he was only with Zetsu he acted all goofy and what not...What would be the point to that?
siya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 12:38   Link #13
Hunter
Bubbly and super fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaku Kyu View Post
So Sasuke getting eye-gouged turned out to be an illusion. I figured that Itachi was using MS in order to trap Sasuke, no surprise that a genjutsu was Sasuke's salvation, but I groaned a little when I saw it was Itachi's Tsukuyomi. Now if Sasuke wins it's going to be one of those situations where victory came only because the villain foolishly gave up an obvious chance to win.
Hmmm what? I don't think Itachi used a Tsukuyomi to play, he wanted the jutsu to end this fight.
What are you talking about when you say giving up an obvious chance to win?
Old 2008-02-05, 12:52   Link #14
Sagittarius
'One'

I thought the same thing. Instead of just taking his eyes, Itachi used his MS in a sort of what seems like "adding insult to injury" kind of way. Which in turn gave Sasuke a "do-over". Meaning in the end one too many do-overs will lead to Itachi's demise.
Sagittarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 12:53   Link #15
Endrance
~Rock ☆~
*Graphic Designer

Interesting.....my one and only complaint is that it seems like were going to have 10 or so chapters of nothing but genjutsu fights and as fun as they are enough with the genjutsu already
Old 2008-02-05, 13:00   Link #16
Alleluia_Cone
Prospective Cog

It would be highly disappointing in my opinion if the only consequences of this fight for Sasuke are mental. Yet, the way the fight has transpired so far, it is probable that this will end up being the case, whether he kills Itachi or not.

At the same time, there is a dilemma I see with the current state of matters right now. On one hand, Sasuke cannot die, however, this must be balanced by the fact that if he kills Itachi, he will have achieved his goal. Kakashi specifically told Sasuke that killing Itachi and gaining revenge would bring no measure of peace, so if he were to do so, what would that say or what would be the result of that?

Then again, an argument can be made that by Sasuke finding out about Madara, that allows Itachi to be killed off without Sasuke having to suffer the consequences of having to deal with the emptiness of revenge since he would still have to kill Madara to complete it.
Alleluia_Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 13:10   Link #17
abazou
Uchiha Avenger

So now itachi starts getting serious and so does sasuke.. and maybe its CS2 time?
Old 2008-02-05, 13:18   Link #18
shaselai

i was thinking something lame like itachi took his own eye out instead of sasuke's but I guess sasuke's gonna win this one
shaselai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 13:20   Link #19
siya
An Intellectual Idiot

Location: The Internet, ranging from the World of Warcraft------Deviantart----and much more!..My mostly WoW
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaselai View Post
i was thinking something lame like itachi took his own eye out instead of sasuke's but I guess sasuke's gonna win this one

Well, we know that Sasuke has gotten stronger, but don't forget, we still don't know the true extent to Itachi's power....We don't know what he is capeble of.
siya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 13:31   Link #20
DeDe
Ino-Shika-Cho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quzor View Post
I am honestly not expecting too much on Zetsu anytime soon. It seems like Kishimoto is just using him as a commentator for this fight. With all genjtusu flying around we going to need one. We need someone to tell the audience what the heck is going on.