AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Sword Art Online - Episode 11 Rating
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 45 34.62%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 37 28.46%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 27 20.77%
7 out of 10 : Good... 7 5.38%
6 out of 10 : Average... 8 6.15%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 1 0.77%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 1 0.77%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 4 3.08%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-09-15, 19:18   Link #61
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

It's also not uncommon for people to refer to one by the name they first learned of instead of one's real name. A number of people I'm friends with online know my real name, and still refer to me as R.D. or Rising Dragon instead of it.
Old 2012-09-15, 19:43   Link #62
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Red, orange, it's from the same part of the spectrum.
If you want to get technical, so is green, but you won't find anyone saying that green = orange.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-15, 19:46   Link #63
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

A somewhat nice relaxing episode.

We are now seeing the married life of Kirito and Asuna.

Yui really doesn't seem normal.

In any case, they now have a child albeit a temporary one until they find Yui's real parents.
Old 2012-09-15, 19:51   Link #64
Kamui04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard View Post
Umm, WE don't even know his name... remember?

Also, that's a pretty standard MMO trope. I've played MMO's for damn near a decade and I really only knew the real names of a few player's, and it feels highly weird to be referred to with my own real name in a MMO... not something I enjoy much personally, and it's got nothing to do with role playing.
Same for me, I never got to know the real names of a lot of players. Most of those who I know their real name was after I met them in real life. And it was just as cliched as you'd expect it if SAO ever reaches that point: -"Oh, sorry but I've always called you by nickname and never bothered to ask but would you mind telling me your real name?". And even then whenever there's some party, meeting or reunion of MMO players we end up using our nicks.
Kamui04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-15, 19:53   Link #65
Wintersun
C.C.'s Servant

i hate yui... retarded kid
Wintersun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-15, 19:58   Link #66
Sphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard View Post
Umm, WE don't even know his name... remember?

Also, that's a pretty standard MMO trope. I've played MMO's for damn near a decade and I really only knew the real names of a few player's, and it feels highly weird to be referred to with my own real name in a MMO... not something I enjoy much personally, and it's got nothing to do with role playing.
Uh, am I the only one then taking their relationship seriously? I know in 'normal' terms, no one's going to care about age or name in an MMO. Although you do get marriages from them, but that is uncommon. However, this show isn't a 'normal' MMO in the first place. So I assumed a more serious take. If KiritoxAsuna are just together for the hell of it, that would make the build up not so dramatic. Pointless even. Like I said, makes the love rather cheesy.

I wasn't really serious about the name thing, but damn, I'd still expect her to know, even if we don't. Most of their 'romance' built up off screen anyway, I just assumed, since the show forces assumptions. Especially after how they fawned all over each other in the last episode (and this).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
It's also not uncommon for people to refer to one by the name they first learned of instead of one's real name. A number of people I'm friends with online know my real name, and still refer to me as R.D. or Rising Dragon instead of it.
Yea, I don't have a problem with that. Just stating how lame it would be if she didn't even know in the first place though.
Old 2012-09-15, 20:02   Link #67
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
If you want to get technical, so is green, but you won't find anyone saying that green = orange.
Ahahahah I was just joking. I merely said 'red' when I meant 'orange'.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-15, 20:05   Link #68
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphire View Post
Uh, am I the only one then taking their relationship seriously? I know in 'normal' terms, no one's going to care about age or name in an MMO.
Asuna seems to be taking the relationship seriously, to the point of making sure Kirito knew that they'd continue the relationship outside...

But she's known his name as Kirito for two years, now that the relationship has turned 'real', how weird would the conversation be "So, umm, we've slept together, known one another for years, and rescued one another from death a few times... but... what's your name again?" Eventually you reach a point of critical mass where it's just too weird. Double so when you consider they're at least 3/4's of a year from escape (10'ish days per floor, 25 floors to go).

Also, being reminded of the real world when you have no real hope of getting there anytime soon would just be painful. The LN's did a much better job (obviously) of exploring the reasoning behind it, but as a standard MMO trope it's not too peculiar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintersun View Post
i hate yui... retarded kid
Assuming she's a player, she would have been trapped in a death game at the age of 8... remember the death game bit... and the fact that she's apparently wandering the wilds without a way to eat / caretakers. I'd say the trauma / regression bit makes sense.

Assuming something else isn't going on.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-15, 20:14   Link #69
Kamui04

Quote:
Uh, am I the only one then taking their relationship seriously? I know in 'normal' terms, no one's going to care about age or name in an MMO. Although you do get marriages from them, but that is uncommon. However, this show isn't a 'normal' MMO in the first place. So I assumed a more serious take. If KiritoxAsuna are just together for the hell of it, that would make the build up not so dramatic. Pointless even. Like I said, makes the love rather cheesy.

I wasn't really serious about the name thing, but damn, I'd still expect her to know, even if we don't. Most of their 'romance' built up off screen anyway, I just assumed, since the show forces assumptions. Especially after how they fawned all over each other in the last episode (and this).

Yea, I don't have a problem with that. Just stating how lame it would be if she didn't even know in the first place though.
Well the world is a really strange place. And from personal experience I know of two cases just like in SAO, became couples in-game kept using their nicks to address each other. Married in real life, it didn't go as far as not knowing their real names till they signed their marriage certificate but close.
Kamui04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-15, 20:18   Link #70
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
At this point in the anime we don't know if they discussed it or not but it may have come up off screen. Or maybe the name "Kirito" is simply his real name to her. It goes both ways btw - Asuna's real name did not come up in the anime yet as far as I can remember. Not to mention, netiquette (which pretty much no one follows these days, apart from a few diehard folks like me) makes it rude to ask about a player's real-life name or other personal data, and IMHO it cheapens the character when you do that, implying that your life online is somehow less real than your "real" life. Although SAO circumstances are anything but usual indeed.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-15, 20:19   Link #71
Deltaray

SAO is actually not about MMORPG's alone, it's more like can virtual world be real and so on.

And one "random" observation, why is Kirito able to lift Asuna on his shoulders? well he has Extended Weight Limit at level 949 (1000 is max).
Deltaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-15, 20:48   Link #72
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domonkazu View Post
nice episode overall, but kinda bit boring, anyway I didn't expect Asuna to be this playful, I thought she would be more strict.
Well, as we've seen before, Asuna tends to be an overachiever who goes all out in whatever she does - she joined the strongest guild and ended up as the strategy planner & 2IC; she mastered Cooking, a noncombat skill, to recreate the taste of food... as Murder Case shows, she was a lean mean clearing machine, and it's only after meeting Kirito that she started to slow down. Note that during Murder Case, she doesn't smile at all, and has a very serious default expression; contrast that to eps 9-10, where she's more cheerful.

Besides, the whole point of this honeymoon/vacation to the rest and relax. I kinda get the feeling that Asuna is trying to make up for two years of fun that she missed out.

...also, Yui is just too cute. Too cute. And End Card is daaaawwwwwwww.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-15, 21:04   Link #73
Dark Wing

Quote:
So, some were adamant there was absolutely nothing more that could have been shown in previous episodes with regards to KiritoxAsuna's romance build up. But then, and I quote Asuna:

"He isn't younger than I am, is he?"

Cheesy love confirmed? She doesn't even know his age? Should I be surprised if she doesn't even know his full name? Unless that was some bad translation or something added in the anime, that is totally weak.
I took that line more as her wondering if he lied about his age...but maybe it's because I'm not thinking too much into it like you are?

Anyway this episode really did melt my heart. Dear little Yui so cute and innocent it would be really sad if something happened to her...OMG someone please tell me nothing happens to her!?
Old 2012-09-15, 21:05   Link #74
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Anyway this episode really did melt my heart. Dear little Yui so cute and innocent it would be really sad if something happened to her...OMG someone please tell me nothing happens to her!?
Nothing happens to her.

(Caveat emptor - all you said was to tell you that phrase. ;D)

In all seriousness, good things come to people who wait. Yui's story isn't over yet - it will unfold as it unfolds. Don't worry about trouble in next week's episodes. Look at the virtual squirrel. It does not sow or reap, or store away in barns, and yet the game system keeps it fed.

Thus, do not worry about Episode 12, for episode 12 will worry about itself. ;D

I thought it was rather cute, the way Asuna was riding on Kirito's shoulders, and Kirito being torn between wanting to complain and realising that he has a pretty girl with her legs wrapped around his head.

Edit: Memo to self: Never piss off Asuna. No matter how beautiful she gets when angry, as the fire in her heart increases her hotness.

I believe in miracles.

Last edited by Wild Goose; 2012-09-15 at 21:20.
Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-15, 21:28   Link #75
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronelm2000 View Post
Asuna x Kirito = Yui
Sounds better this way.
Old 2012-09-15, 21:35   Link #76
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

A very cute and heartwarming episode. I enjoy the lovey-dovey moments between Kirito and Asuna. Of course, i'm really interested on where Yui comes from if she never been to the 1st floor before.
Old 2012-09-15, 21:40   Link #77
Quadratic
SIBYL salesman

Quote:
So, some were adamant there was absolutely nothing more that could have been shown in previous episodes with regards to KiritoxAsuna's romance build up. But then, and I quote Asuna:

"He isn't younger than I am, is he?"

Cheesy love confirmed? She doesn't even know his age? Should I be surprised if she doesn't even know his full name? Unless that was some bad translation or something added in the anime, that is totally weak.

Otherwise, slow episode really. Have to wait and see where it goes. But at least Yui interrupted the cheese. At first I thought she was that chick who died in that party Kirito joined. Hair looked similar. Thankfully, it's not that bad of a twist.
What romance build up? I haven't read much of what others have said (since it tends to be rife with novel spoilers), but that question shows just how naive their relationship is.
A lot of the Asuna-Kirito interaction was based on their views on the connection between the real world and VR world, and how they don't want to lose sight of "reality".
The past episodes with their interactions also emphasized a lot on how they saved each other, so their relationship appears to me to be based on I saved you-you saved me-lets protect each other type love. I can't remember much of their romance being developed other than "lets have sex" (someone is free to remind me of some parts though).

EDIT: Ok maybe I'm wrong. Saved by knight-in-shining-armor is a type of romance, I guess.

Anyway, I thought it was an interesting episode, though the whole Asuna scared of ghosts thing was strange to me, considering her reaction to seeing Griselda.

Last edited by Quadratic; 2012-09-15 at 21:54.
Quadratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-15, 21:57   Link #78
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadratic View Post
What romance build up? I haven't read much of what others have said (since it tends to be rife with novel spoilers), but that question shows just how naive their relationship is.
A lot of the Asuna-Kirito interaction was based on their views on the connection between the real world and VR world, and how they don't want to lose sight of "reality".
The past episodes with their interactions also emphasized a lot on how they saved each other, so their relationship appears to me to be based on I saved you-you saved me-lets protect each other type love. I can't remember much of their romance being developed other than "lets have sex" (someone is free to remind me of some parts though).

Anyway, I thought it was an interesting episode, though the whole Asuna scared of ghosts thing was strange to me, considering her reaction to seeing Griselda.
Actually, I'd say the main thrust of their romance is "eating". Asuna cooks things, Kirito eats things. While on the face of it that sounds kind of silly, symbolically it all comes back to what happened in episode 2, when he taught her how to make the bread taste better with butter. Before then, she had never even thought about actually enjoying anything in SAO. This led to her leveling up cooking, as a way of making life more tolerable while she fought to escape.

Later, when they meet up in episode 5, something similar happens with the nap. Basically, their relationship is based around the idea that even if they're trapped in here they're still alive, and have the right to enjoy themselves. Symbolized by eating good food and taking breaks from clearing. To Asuna, Kirito represents a new way of living that she'd never imagined on her own. Just... living in SAO. Which is of course the theme of the episode, since they're not doing anything of life and death importance, nor will it help them clear the game.

...I have no idea why Kirito likes her in any non-shallow way though. It's kind of one-sided.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-15, 22:06   Link #79
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadratic View Post
EDIT: Ok maybe I'm wrong. Saved by knight-in-shining-armor is a type of romance, I guess.
Spoken like someone who has never been, nor never talked to, nor ever read things written by / for a teenaged girl.

Hmm, ironic, isn't that pretty much exactly what Asuna is?

Fairly certain the knight-in-shining armor trope is one of the oldest romance tropes out there..... Except maybe for the 'club the girl and drag her back to your cave' trope.

Last edited by Adigard; 2012-09-15 at 22:26.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-15, 22:50   Link #80
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
...I have no idea why Kirito likes her in any non-shallow way though. It's kind of one-sided.
This strikes me as a bit of a strange comment. She's someone he can trust completely, she saved his life, she complements his weaknesses, and they pledged to protect each other through the game and beyond. He'd probably see her as an ideal partner, in addition to the fact that she's obviously beautiful and clearly in love with him. So... I'm not sure if that's "shallow", but seems like a pretty good "reason" for loving someone... though love doesn't necessarily need a reason either. I've never seen it as one-sided, but equal. He's not exactly the most sociable or expressive person, though, so I'm not sure if we can expect him to be as open about it.