AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2015-09-13, 08:21   Link #61
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

To me, though, Charlotte's plot was like playing Battle City while not firing a single shot on the enemy tanks. Sure, you can survive by weaving your way across the map, but you will inevitably face the increasing number of tanks (unresolved plot threads), and completing the level (the series) would be impossible if not all of those tanks are dealt with.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-13, 10:53   Link #62
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I recently caught up on Charlotte, and I have to say that I disagree with the level of criticism its receiving here on Anime Suki.

The show has some issues, to be sure, but I do think it's superior to Angel Beats. Charlotte's narrative focus feels tighter to me than AB's did, and I also find Charlotte's fictional setting more interesting than AB's.

Charlotte has also become an excellent page-turner anime for me, its 2nd half especially. Its 2nd half does a pretty good job of keeping me on the edge of my seat, and greatly anticipating just where the show will go next. For the most part, Charlotte hasn't been predictable to me. It goes certain places at certain times in ways that are often surprising to me, especially from the end of Episode 6 on.

However, some of this is due to how Charlotte appeals to the comic book fan in me. Its story has come to remind me a lot of X-Men comics that I read as a kid.
Oh, look, more Charlotte discussion!

I too have recently marathoned the second half of Charlotte, and well, that thing that I ended up comparing it to was more Steins;Gate than Angel Beats.

I will actually agree with you, in spite of what I said in my post on the main Charlotte thread that it does a pretty good job getting you excited for the next episode.

That said, I will maintain what I said in the other thread that it really could have been better done with 24 eps instead of 12, giving more time for development of characters and subplots, as well as making the shift from comedy to drama less sudden.

I am enjoying Charlotte thus far, but I still think its short length and consequent sudden introduction of the whole time travel plot and the new characters holds it a back, and that Steins;Gate handled a similar plot a lot better.
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-13, 13:16   Link #63
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
The important thing that I've been peddling elsewhere is that we are forgetting AIR, Kanon, CLANNAD were shows that had other people adapt an existing story, mainly Ishihara Tatsuya and Shimo Fumihiko. So whatever worked in the VNs their teams have painstakingly transformed that into something that works for anime. Obviously the originals themselves were strong enough, since even Toei's Kanon adaptation was to my taste very strong.

In fact, I think the Toei version tops KyoAni's. There were too many obnoxious meme-worthy KyoAni moments in their adaptation for me to like it.

The supernatural + effective foreshadowing, exactly! That's what makes these series work and why I love them. CLANNAD I feel is a very good show for other reasons.

So you think Little Busters has that quality to it too? Better put it on my to-watch list, couldn't get past the gags the first time.
Yea, that's the thing. A lot of these shows have themes that they stay quite close to.

Kanon
Spoiler:

AIR
Spoiler:

Clannad
Spoiler:

Little Busters
Spoiler:

So yea, it's possible to reach these interpretations with minimal observations, regardless of one's individual feelings towards each shows. And that's how I look at things-- what they tried to do and what they achieved. I'm not that big of a fan of say, AIR, but I understand what they were getting at and did appreciate its finer points, but it's honestly just not as polished as the later ones and I don't find myself coming back to it.

As for Little Busters, the first season is of highly questionable qualities but I do get a sense whoever was working on the show seemed to be getting their grasp eventually. I personally ended up liking it and especially the EX OVAs where it does feel a lot more polished, however, there definitely is a lot of that obnoxious humor that falls flat because it's just so repetitious and falls flat, so it could be kind of a chore, though I think it was worth it personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
Toei? Seriously? The adaptation with long munted faces?
Hah, dear lord. Toei AIR is actually a interesting spin IMO and Toei Clannad is not worth talking about.

Toei Kanon definitely had terrible character designs and it felt really disjointed, now that's something which 13 episodes hurt, because Kanon had trouble with twice as many episodes. However, I guess given that someone had to try it first all the way back in 2002, the script can be excused but that's no reason for having 1982 style visuals. Yuri fans might have more to do with 2002, as there was some really bizarre yuribait additions that added over the place and in an OVA. Now only if they'd remake THAT with better graphics; you know I heard Kyoani was good at that kind of thing, you know both with visuals and yuribait.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-13, 17:18   Link #64
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Yea, that's the thing. A lot of these shows have themes that they stay quite close to.

Kanon
Spoiler:

AIR
Spoiler:

Clannad
Spoiler:

Little Busters
Spoiler:

So yea, it's possible to reach these interpretations with minimal observations, regardless of one's individual feelings towards each shows. And that's how I look at things-- what they tried to do and what they achieved. I'm not that big of a fan of say, AIR, but I understand what they were getting at and did appreciate its finer points, but it's honestly just not as polished as the later ones and I don't find myself coming back to it.

As for Little Busters, the first season is of highly questionable qualities but I do get a sense whoever was working on the show seemed to be getting their grasp eventually. I personally ended up liking it and especially the EX OVAs where it does feel a lot more polished, however, there definitely is a lot of that obnoxious humor that falls flat because it's just so repetitious and falls flat, so it could be kind of a chore, though I think it was worth it personally.

Hah, dear lord. Toei AIR is actually a interesting spin IMO and Toei Clannad is not worth talking about.

Toei Kanon definitely had terrible character designs and it felt really disjointed, now that's something which 13 episodes hurt, because Kanon had trouble with twice as many episodes. However, I guess given that someone had to try it first all the way back in 2002, the script can be excused but that's no reason for having 1982 style visuals. Yuri fans might have more to do with 2002, as there was some really bizarre yuribait additions that added over the place and in an OVA. Now only if they'd remake THAT with better graphics; you know I heard Kyoani was good at that kind of thing, you know both with visuals and yuribait.
Personally, I have not seen Kanon 2002/Toei version in its entirety, only a few clips and images from it, and I figured it was not worth viewing do the issues with the absolutely horrible art style.

Even discounting the Jay Leno chin and other facial abnormalities, there also the fact that the demons in Mai's arc looked way to cheesy and generic. IMO the amorphous translucent demons of the 2006 version had a lot more a mysterious, and more menacing air about them.

But beyond the art style, I was not aware of the yuri-baiting, having not seen the series though I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that you can't spell Sayuri without yuri!

Last edited by SPARTAN 119; 2015-09-13 at 17:30.
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-14, 13:10   Link #65
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
I didn't know Kanon '02 had yuribait; bad faces prevail over everything else, it seems. Since we've also brought up Angel Beats! multiple times despite it not being an adaptation, I'll say the same for it as I do Charlotte. They're different genres from the actual adaptations (Charlotte moreso), and even some of my own misgivings with Charlotte lie in mismatched expectations. That still doesn't excuse its extreme convenience, life hinged on plot twists, and being tone deaf with many of its side characters (the last point would be a minor one if there were only a few, but the loads and loads of them + pretending they're important creates a death of a thousand cuts). But yeah, holding AB! and Charlotte to the VN adaptations is about useful as comparing The Avengers to Star Trek.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-14, 20:50   Link #66
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Right, I have no idea why this thread was done to reflect on Charlotte and AB anyways. Maybe the title should be changed as the original thread was way too specific. It didn't seem OP had the best of intentions honestly and seemed to have some kind of thinly veiled agenda to troll people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
I'm everyone who's watching Little Busters must be sick of people spoiling other series via comparisons, so I wanted to make this thread for cross-series analysis and ranting.
Wait, never mind, that wasn't even thinly veiled. The OP's a dick. Oh wait.

And yes lol Toei for the worst looking demons ever, and panty shots IIRC. >.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-14, 20:57   Link #67
IceHism

I don't get why these pleb studios and committees can't adapt our Lord and Savior Tanaka Romeo's rewrite. I mean... It's actually good and written by a critically acclaimed writer. Maeda Jun is still pumping out his same formula like 16 years since air came out
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-09, 22:34   Link #68
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

https://twitter.com/Liabobo3/status/1269972331134242817

Angel Beats/Clannad/Charlotte composer Kamachi Ai passed away......This is scarcely comprehensible. RIP
Old 2020-06-10, 00:08   Link #69
Kurohane

Dang..... Rest in peace.
Old 2020-06-10, 01:40   Link #70
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Yeah, she was only 48