AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shana

Notices

View Poll Results: Shakugan no Shana II - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 4 4.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 15 15.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 25.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 27 27.00%
6 out of 10 : Average 13 13.00%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 8 8.00%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 3.00%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.00%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 2.00%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 2.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-11-03, 15:45   Link #61
DazarGaidin
There there, Maggie-chan

*yawns* There is much better romance/harems out there. I think part of whats bothering me is that shana used to be such a badass character with occasional cute moments slipping in, now all the badass is kinda gone ( i mean where did the shana who made the teachers cry, only cared what yuji thought and others be damned go?). She is like generic harem tsundere number 1000. Yuji doesn't seem as sharp either. My interest in this season is starting to wane.

I loved the romance element/development they had between them, but it was always framed in reference to their struggle in a world outside reality, and their fated circumstances (she a flame haze, and he no longer a human). Even the stalker girl made a little sense framed in that, she was there to emphasize the humanity Yuji was no longer a part of..and couldn't ever really be. (this point was clearly negated this season..)

Old 2007-11-03, 15:49   Link #62
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638
Look, after learning about events in the novels that the anime clearly missed, here's my conclusion: Takahashi is adding these events for one reason - that some important events in the past 9 novels that have been missed need to be expressed. If they were skipped, they have to come up with some way to go back to that. Fumina is the best way to go back to one particular scene that creates another stepping point in Yuji and Shana's relationship.
Old 2007-11-03, 15:54   Link #63
taelrak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazarGaidin View Post
*yawns* There is much better romance/harems out there. I think part of whats bothering me is that shana used to be such a badass character with occasional cute moments slipping in, now all the badass is kinda gone ( i mean where did the shana who made the teachers cry, only cared what yuji thought and others be damned go?). She is like generic harem tsundere number 1000. Yuji doesn't seem as sharp either. My interest in this season is starting to wane.
Eh, Yuji was never really that sharp to begin with though. He's always been one of those main characters that struggle and struggle and FINALLY comes up with the right path and you just want to smack him thinking "wtf...it took him that long to come up with THAT?"

There's too much focus on that other blonde girl too (Yoshida? or something? she's so boring that I don't even remember her name). Sure, it was nice for a girl with actual awareness of what she wants as a mechanism to develop the main characters--but that was season 1. It's over and done with--we don't need her to be hanging on and dragging the show down in what's obviously a lost cause.

Same with Konoe and Pheles - okay, Shana gets jealous. Sakai likes her...we get the point, moving on then to the actual story...?

Shana spent 13 episodes of season 1 sulking....maybe this season she'll grow up after only 12?

Basically same criticisms as Zero no Tsukaima--just overall weak and trite characters (all the worse since the author wrote two series using the exact same characters).

Still, I've always liked the premise of the Shana series, and Wilhelmina and Rammie rock!
Old 2007-11-03, 15:58   Link #64
Rhyel
*Graphic Designer

Quality drop?

Wilhelmina is the same height of Shana?

This episode is boring like episode 4, all events in this episode already happened before, and this is not a "eternal dream" spell.

5/10
Old 2007-11-03, 16:00   Link #65
taelrak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyelys View Post
Quality drop?

Wilhelmina is the same height of Shana?

This episode is boring like episode 4, all events in this episode already happened before, and this is not a "eternal dream" spell.

5/10
Growth spurt! She's at that age and all....
Old 2007-11-03, 16:07   Link #66
Shabazza
transcendental

Well... absolutely nothing happened in this episode 8/
Old 2007-11-03, 16:08   Link #67
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taelrak View Post
Well I doubt Margery knows how to cook either, and I doubt she's as old as Wilhelmina
No, but she at least knows how to drink. How to feel pleasure.

Quote:
Still, Wilhelmina is just odd. Even the oldest flame haze guy was more in tune with contemporary human practices than her--but then he actually travels from human city to city, whereas I guess she was just isolated for centuries.
That only makes it weirder. Whereas Khamshin could conceivably eat at restaurants all the time, Wilhelmina had to rely on her own cooking. How did she survive?

Quote:
I'm also going to venture the theory that a typical young girl in the middle ages would not have been able to be exposed fine dining. She probably would never have been able to even eat meat save for the rare annual village festivals unless she had quite a lot of social status, which may be unlikely.
She grew up as a European princess. (See the metaphysics thread.) Sure, they didn't have access to the kind of variety in ingredients we do (year-round, too!), but they did know how to eat for fun.

Quote:
She has a point though--a variety of foods isn't very practical or even necessary as long as you have the essentials.
Eating nothing but cup ramen can't be healthy. Though I suppose Flame Haze have magical ways of dealing with malnutrition.

Quote:
I'm sure Shana didn't really care about variety before she met Sakai either.

Maybe she just carries cup ramen with her everywhere she goes!
Shana's odd because Wilhelmina raised her. What's Wilhelmina's excuse?
Old 2007-11-03, 16:14   Link #68
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Um... is it just me, or did Margery have an orgasm in this episode?
Old 2007-11-03, 16:16   Link #69
puretsundere
Tachibana Isana

Again, another nice and enjoyable episode for me. I really liked episode 4, so episode 5 was another great episode. I still enjoy the jealous tones from Yoshida and Shana.

It's was nice to Wilhelmina try to cut dinner for Shana. And it was also nice to see a little romance between Eita and Ogataa.

Again, another episode that made my day.
Old 2007-11-03, 16:25   Link #70
taelrak

Incidentally, am I the only one who preferred Shana the way she was before she met Yuji?
Old 2007-11-03, 16:30   Link #71
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Quote:
Incidentally, am I the only one who preferred Shana the way she was before she met Yuji?
Did the old Shana ever smile? Uh... that would be your answer.
Old 2007-11-03, 16:33   Link #72
taelrak

Quote:
Originally Posted by minhtam2448 View Post
Did the old Shana ever smile? Uh... that would be your answer.
Sure she did - every time she ate melon bread.

Is smiling really relevant or important?
Old 2007-11-03, 16:41   Link #73
Aquifina

The reconciliation of sorts between Shana and Wilhelmina saved the episode, but for the most part, this ep. has been the dog of the season for me. The jealousy thing is definitely being dragged out too long, although at least there was some development in other areas--the mystery behind Konoe, Shana and Wilhelmina, etc.
Old 2007-11-03, 17:13   Link #74
Edel
Guardian Of The Dale

Send a message via MSN to Edel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Though many might complain that this episode can be better you also should remember that it can be worse as well, to prove that - you can always watch Zero No tsukaima 2 season to see how excatly JCC Staff can screw things up. Though Shakugan No shana might be at some points not all that pleasing, its still way WAY better than anything that ZnT 2 had to offer.
I am Dissapointed with this comment , ZnT 2 has the last episode FUCKING FILLER! and a lot of excesive fanservice but the animu is simply great ... in Exchange, Shana Second is getting TOO BAD! 5 episode of Fillers and SHOUJO ELEMENTS that ruins the season, I WANT THAT EPIC BATTLES WITH A LOT OF FRAMES! at least ZnT 2 has "Saito vs 70000" last battle ... SnS 2 now is like School Days
Old 2007-11-03, 17:48   Link #75
ashlay
the red string of fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edel View Post
I am Dissapointed with this comment , ZnT 2 has the last episode FUCKING FILLER! and a lot of excesive fanservice but the animu is simply great ... in Exchange, Shana Second is getting TOO BAD! 5 episode of Fillers and SHOUJO ELEMENTS that ruins the season, I WANT THAT EPIC BATTLES WITH A LOT OF FRAMES! at least ZnT 2 has "Saito vs 70000" last battle ... SnS 2 now is like School Days
don't you think it's a little questionable to compare the first 5 episodes of a 26 episode series to the end of a 13 episode one? -_-
Old 2007-11-03, 17:54   Link #76
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Quote:
Growth spurt! She's at that age and all....
She is a flame haze. Flame hazes dont grow. Neaither will Sakai since he is a mystes.
Old 2007-11-03, 17:56   Link #77
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitemoon648 View Post
She is a flame haze. Flame hazes dont grow. Neaither will Sakai since he is a mystes.
Of course Shana could grow. Just give her platform shoes.

Seriously, once a human becomes a Flame Haze, their physical maturation completely halts.
Old 2007-11-03, 18:27   Link #78
Kisuke06
I see...

It's getting painful to watch this show... nothing happens...
Old 2007-11-03, 18:40   Link #79
tabun
rawr!

While watching the episode, I was frantically waiting for the point at wich Shana or Yoshida would snap and confront Yuji directly, but it never came. Not even after Ike got a little more direct did anything happen. It was quite frustrating, but then again, no judgement till the last episode.

Actually, mintham2448's comment helps me keep my breath a little longer now. Of course, this forced situation is annoying, but if the result justifies it, then so be it. There were, at the very least, some nice scenes in there.

Although, after a week of waiting, it leaves a stale taste.
Quote:
Um... is it just me, or did Margery have an orgasm in this episode?
You should get out more, IMO. j/k
Old 2007-11-03, 18:45   Link #80
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabun View Post
You should get out more, IMO. j/k
Urusai, urusai, urusai! It's bad enough after seeing the subbed version of Wilhelmina's explanation of how she made her cabbage roll and go into a rant of how a cabbage roll should be made.
Closed Thread