AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-10-27, 11:33   Link #161
Sumeragi
Banned

I would also think that it shows just how fragile the will to be good is. In a way the Templers are right in that humans need discipline, and that giving people free will can lead to grave results.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-28, 03:55   Link #162
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Just so you know, the King Washington DLC is not part of AC3 storyline. It's just a "what if" story if Washington became power mad rather than the good, responsible leader that he was.
I know what the DLC is all about and that those packs can be considered as standalone storyline/tangents. I just wish they stuck to historical accuracy, as that was one of the major sources of fun for me.

Anyway, this is a French commentary of an ACIII preview (the final version will be released in less than a week), but it shows a couple more things about the urban environment:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
  • Connor's free-running moves are completely different from of Altair's and Ezio's - Ubisoft completely overhauled his movements, even the most basic ones, so don't expect to see Connor running the same way as Ezio or Altair - you'll notice the difference immediately
  • Geographical synchronizing is still present in AC3 - this time, unlike Ezio and Altair, you're not crouching when you're synching with the landscape, you're standing
  • On the console, it seems the "jump over obstacle" and "run" buttons were merged
  • Remember those infuriating minstrels in AC2, the beggars in AC2B and imporverished women in AC2R who hounded you for money and kept slowing you down as you walked through a city? This time it'll be young orphans pestering you at every street corner (yep, there'll be more children NPCs present this time around)
  • Unlike AC2B/AC2R where your playground was a gigantic city, this time you get to travel between towns/cities and the wilderness. One limitation: if you've started a certain part of the campaign/storyline, you can't fast-travel to a different location until you've completed the said part of the storyline (not just the current mission, but the current set of missions...or so it seems) or canceled it altogether DX
Old 2012-10-28, 03:59   Link #163
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
Remember those infuriating minstrels in AC2, the beggars in AC2B and imporverished women in AC2R who hounded you for money and kept slowing you down as you walked through a city? This time it'll be young orphans pestering you at every street corner (yep, there'll be more children NPCs present this time around)

Oh God no... At least with beggars and minstrels we can hit them- but there's no way they'll let us hit children npcs
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-28, 04:17   Link #164
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Apparently, giving them money does the trick...but with the financial crisis going on, I don't think we can all afford it. XP

Time to free-run, then...that is, if you can find a way out of their encirclement - they looked pretty insistent in the video and appear to be using swarm tactics. XD

BTW, I was kind of pleased at seeing Connor swinging his arms while running. I had always been perplexed with Ezio's own running stance (arms stretched behind him) - he seemed to think he was an airplane getting ready to take off.
Old 2012-10-28, 08:48   Link #165
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Oh God no... At least with beggars and minstrels we can hit them- but there's no way they'll let us hit children npcs
Definitely not...

Shame I used to enjoy throwing the beggers into groups of guards

Anyway this hasn't been posted yet and its pretty out there! for a fan made live action, especially the end which is almost priceless.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-28, 13:53   Link #166
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

The thing that's been discouraging me from getting hyped about this game is how obvious biased it is against the British... can't say these advanced previews have really allayed that fear.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-28, 17:11   Link #167
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

apparently the ending is a stupid as other trilogy

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 01:58   Link #168
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
apparently the ending is a stupid as other trilogy
Nothing will ever be as stupid as Mass Effect 3's ending, thank god.
I've heard just a little bit about how AC3 ends and honestly I'm not too surprised that they did what they did.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 02:20   Link #169
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Which does suggest...
Spoiler for big AC3 spoiler:
Old 2012-10-29, 03:06   Link #170
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Which does suggest...
Spoiler for big AC3 spoiler:
Spoiler for ending:

Old 2012-10-29, 03:59   Link #171
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

^--

What I mean is
Spoiler:
Old 2012-10-29, 03:59   Link #172
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
^--

What I mean is
Spoiler:
probably just ret-con really

Old 2012-10-30, 07:23   Link #173
Edge Meltdown
AxS HxM TxA RxS JxK HxM

Benny... you "mad bastard" who knew you'd be the naughty type

"Nothing is true, Everything is Permitted" - Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad
Edge Meltdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 10:30   Link #174
willx
Nyaaan~~

Thought I'd pop in here and mention a headline I just saw:

http://kotaku.com/5956011/store-sell...beat-hurricane

"Assassin's Creed III isn't supposed to be out until tomorrow, but you know what? There are more important things in life than honouring street dates when your town is about to be swallowed up by water."

PS: Just noticed Kotaku is down, but I thought it was amusing.. some people are playing it right now!!!
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 05:16   Link #175
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I generally play the PC version of any cross-platform games, if only for the improved (usually), visuals, but Assassin's Creed always pisses me off at the lag time between the console and PC versions. At least this time it's only 20 days...
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 08:23   Link #176
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
I always buy games on the original platform for which they were released (or the original brand, if they span multiple generations of systems). So, for example, I will only buy Call of Duty games for PC because that's where CoD got its start. On the flip side, I will only buy Medal of Honor games for SONY consoles, because that's where MoH got its start.

AC is a SONY-console-only game series, for me.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 08:45   Link #177
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
I always buy games on the original platform for which they were released (or the original brand, if they span multiple generations of systems). So, for example, I will only buy Call of Duty games for PC because that's where CoD got its start. On the flip side, I will only buy Medal of Honor games for SONY consoles, because that's where MoH got its start.

AC is a SONY-console-only game series, for me.
I'd generally agree .. although I have trouble with the AC series and pretty much all J-RPGs nowadays. Too many side-quests and too much backtracking.. I just don't have that much free time to spend sitting on a couch these days, although a couch is more comfortable for games of this duration.. At least on a computer I can multi-task though ..
Old 2012-11-01, 14:27   Link #178
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama

Greatest video game commercial ever just cause of who's in it.

Seriously that's the last person I ever expected to be under that hood, but if something needs saving (hurr hurr) he's definitely the man for the job.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-01, 15:46   Link #179
willx
Nyaaan~~

From reddit (captioned, moments before the police arrived)

And this, just.. just cause:

Old 2012-11-04, 06:38   Link #180
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

So, I blasphemied against myself and went ahead and got the PS3 version.

About 20 hours in. Getting close to the end I think.

My review:

AC II, Brotherhood, and Revelations were far better. AC 1 was worse.

That's not to say ACIII is bad. It's just not as good.

Some points as spoiler free as possible:

* First off, be prepared to spend a few hours in what is essentially a very long tutorial/prologue.

* Conner is the worst protagonist of the series. Boring, angry, petulant, boring, did I say boring? His voice actor does a good or bad job depending on your point of view. He does capture the native american feel, if you (consciously or not) had this image in your mind of native americans being sub-standard brutes, as so much of Hollywood has over the years. It's wooden, and devoid of life, and a huge bummer after having played Ezio over the course of three games and so many hours.

* I also emphasize far more with the "white man" over tree-hugging hippies, so that probably added to my complete lack of empathy for Conner.

* That said, Conner does have a few moments where his boorishness can't completely hide his genuinely "good" motives.

* Tried to cram an entire life into one game. Ezio got three games. Altair got two. Conner gets one. Suffice to say, Conner's story suffers from this. The number of plot holes are staggering. I don't mind a few, but this was just sad.

* Improved movement. Freerunning, etc, has always been mostly a joy, and it's been smoothed over even more in AC 3. Still has its throw your controller through the window moments, but still, this is the most refined control of the AC games.

* Mostly boring plot. Instead of giving us a rich story about Conner, it really felt like the writers took the highlights from the Revolutionary War and haphazardly threw Conner into those points.

* If I haven't made myself clear, the AC 3 story is, by far, the worst of the entire series.

* Allies. I ******* hate allies. Their AI is insanely bad, and they are so slow, when you are forced to keep them close to you, it puts a serious cramp in your freerunning.

* Sandbox elements are all there. If you enjoy brain-numbingly boring things like trapping rabbits, and then you-tubing it with commentary, you'll have a ball.

* I realize the AC director/producer/whoever made that comment earlier saying women couldn't be an assassin, but I can't help but feel that individual doesn't like women at all. I don't think I've ever played a game of the modern era in which there are so few women at all. Major sausage fest.

* There are a number of literal invisible walls. We're not talking about the animus deconstruction thing as you try to move off the map. We're talking about invisible walls where Conner even goes into the animation of standing against an...invisible wall. Plus, a number of large swathes of cliffs that are completely unclimable to force you to a specific path, which sort of flies in the freerunning spirit of AC.

So, if I was to give AC II and Brotherhood both 9/10s, I'd give ACIII a 6. I kept thinking, the story is going to pick up. It's going to get interesting, but the only thing that's been remotely interesting are the Desmond bits, and that's just because you get to listen to Juno slowly reveal everything to you. If you strip out the story, or don't give a rat's arse about story, the underlying game is rock solid though, so keep that in mind when looking at that 6.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote