AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-08-15, 11:29   Link #41
wao
OK.

Ahh, I watched episode 5 and I have to say one thing, I <3 Mansairaku and his character It's just so cool and interesting~

I'd say more but I gotta go now, I just had to say that. Will add more later.
Old 2004-08-17, 21:45   Link #42
Secca
nya`
*Artist

I tought Abeno Seimei were going to help Hikaru with her journey based on the website, I guess he cannot go.
Spoiler for ep 5:
Old 2004-08-18, 00:54   Link #43
Codex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secca
I tought Abeno Seimei were going to help Hikaru with her journey based on the website, I guess he cannot go.
Well ... it seems like he has plans of his own ... and he'll probably use and discard Hikaru/Raikou as necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secca
Spoiler for ep 5:
Spoiler:

And now, a bit about episode 7 ...

Spoiler:
Old 2004-08-18, 02:14   Link #44
PW_

I'm starting to really enjoy this anime I hope Hikaru and Mansairaku get together in the end . Although I quite like Sadamitsu.
Old 2004-08-18, 03:42   Link #45
wao
OK.

I'm dead sure they will! They have to

Anyway, I cannot stand the forces of wootness and am getting raws of ep 6 and 7. Mysteriously I can't find ep 6 actually...

I personally find Mansairaku at least from episode 5 to be a rather mystifying character... While he seems generally calm, self-assured and also very haaaaaawt (sorry), it's not like he's perfect... he has his own problems, and also, I'd like to know, where the hell did he learn to fight so well? o_o

EDIT: I watched ep 7, and
Spoiler:

EDIT2: I think the first part of episode 7 was actually
Spoiler:
I didn't know Production I.G. had an English page for Otogizoushi, you can see episode preview text for episode 8 and 9 there! And it's not Engrish, mind you Great stuff! http://www.productionig.com/English/...gi%20Zoushi/~/

Last edited by wao; 2004-08-18 at 05:48.
Old 2004-08-18, 11:01   Link #46
BigFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
Spoiler:
One of the point in episode 5 was the fact that Mansairaku's dance was not appreciated by the court ministers. He felt extremely disconcerted that they cut short his performance (afterall, his only reason for coming to the capital is to perform for the Emperor), and ask himself who his audience should be. His dance for Hikaru was another matter altogether...
Old 2004-08-18, 11:39   Link #47
BigFire

Kaidomaru or Kintoki in episode 7

The kid with the Kintaro shirt is most definately Kaidomaru (to be rename Kintoki later), the last of the 4 retainer of Minamoto no Raikou. At least they're sticking closely to the legend (he is a child raised in the wild with tremendous strength). Odd they they would change Urabe's sex (at least with Hikaru, they had an excuse).
Old 2004-08-18, 16:42   Link #48
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

hmm... so he is the last of the Four Heavenly Kings under Raikou? And that girl is the third?
Old 2004-08-18, 17:34   Link #49
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
hmm... so he is the last of the Four Heavenly Kings under Raikou? And that girl is the third?
Could someone tell me something about this? I'm unfamiliar with the original source material. I gather that this is based on an old Japanese novel? Could someone tell me something about this novel and if there are any large divergences from the original source.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-08-18, 17:49   Link #50
Codex

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
I'm dead sure they will! They have to
Of course they will! Remember this moment in the opening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
I didn't know Production I.G. had an English page for Otogizoushi, you can see episode preview text for episode 8 and 9 there! And it's not Engrish, mind you Great stuff! http://www.productionig.com/English/...gi%20Zoushi/~/
http://www.production-ig.com/ works as well. I've been visiting there since the beginning - and read the chapter 7 preview way back then too! Ahh! It's been such a long wait for this episode!
Old 2004-08-18, 18:07   Link #51
Codex

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Could someone tell me something about this? I'm unfamiliar with the original source material. I gather that this is based on an old Japanese novel? Could someone tell me something about this novel and if there are any large divergences from the original source.
Some people have mentioned the various stories before. Apparently, there are several folktales concerning Minamoto no Raikou. Here are some:

- the Tsuchigumo reinterpretation

- the Rashoumon story

- upcoming story line (as mentioned in ep 9 text preview)

And, an explanation of the term 'Otogizoushi'
Old 2004-08-18, 18:13   Link #52
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codex
Some people have mentioned the various stories before. Apparently, there are several folktales concerning Minamoto no Raikou. Here are some:

- the Rashoumon story

So, the Raiko in those stories was actually man, not his sister Hikaru?

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-08-18, 19:36   Link #53
Codex

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
So, the Raiko in those stories was actually man, not his sister Hikaru?
That's right. In another Production IG anime 'Kaidomaru', the titular character (also known as Kintaro) is female but raised as a male. Just a spin on an old familiar story, I guess.
Old 2004-08-18, 19:51   Link #54
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Ahh I didn't know Kaidomaru OVA is about Raiko too.

I like Kaidomaru I think it was very interesting animation, but story wise it was too short, I couldn't grasp what's going on. I was hoping they would make it into a TV series.

Which Otogizoushi all about I guess. ^^
Old 2004-08-18, 23:58   Link #55
BigFire

Quote:

- the Rashoumon story

Also, in keeping with one of the legend, it would appear that they're following the one where Usui no Sadamitsu is the one who encountered Kentaro first. I'm not sure if they're going to do the one legend where Kentaro/Kaidomaru avenges the disgrace (which leads to the death) of his father.

Last edited by BigFire; 2004-08-21 at 19:31.
Old 2004-08-19, 08:16   Link #56
wao
OK.

Well I think it's good that they're not sticking entirely to one story and sticking to it closely too; because while it seems respectful to stick to it, I see no harm in adapting it differently and doing something creative... I believe there's been enough direct telling of the traditional stories so well it doesn't hurt to change the genders and so on.

I think it's actually more interesting that Raikou is played by Hikaru; even in a very traditional Japanese society we can see that people of courage and valour and being able to fight and all those manly-sounding-things, don't necessarily have to be men - even if society says otherwise. Ultimately, humans are humans...
But of course because in those times I think it would be too much of a stretch for a female to act completely not like a traditional female from that time, especially for Hikaru who is brought up in a noble family, she isn't completely like that. Which is also good, it's not like all that manly-sounding-stuff is all good (I personally can't stand Tsuna, he's... just...)... and yes, we want to see more girly fantasies of Mansairaku! Ahahahahaha.... sorry.

Making everybody a male is just too bland, well, to me anyway. I don't think I could explain why, though. I don't have a knack for that sort of thing.
I suspect they made Urabe female so as to pair Tsuna up with somebody besides Hikaru who has to go with somebody else... Heh, but it also makes another point that females don't have to be docile fools who do not think...

I suppose I'm largely tainted by the fact that a director is female, which doesn't necessarily mean anything...

Excuse my fangirlness as I go off and act in a typical ditzy-idiot-girl style and drool...

EDIT: http://www.ntv.co.jp/otogizoushi/ Click there and go to the fifth thingy on the top from the right. You'll find a very interesting character relationship thingy there... It might give some spoilers. My Japanese, as I will say again, sucks but I'll try give some rudimentary translation here.... wait... I think I should go edit the picture... it's easier.

EDIT2: I made a mistake, the character map has no spoilers, but it's helpful anyway (so I am "translating" it for the hell of it, heck, it's a bit of experience). It's the character short-write-ups themselves that have the spoilers I will "translate" that too! But first, I need to finish the map.

EDIT3: Character map can be found here: http://www20.brinkster.com/shoreii/otogizoushi.html (feel free to use and change it, just don't hotlink the image because brinkster won't load it!)
I know my translation sucks, which is why it's just rudimentary and basic. I can say it's not totally off the mark though. Translations I'm most unsure of are the "Nice chick to hit on", "Some ol' flirt", "Clingy Child" (very unsure), and "Puzzling person" relations. I applied a lot of "poetic license" to some of the translations :[

No spoilers though, nothing very amazing there... I think.

Last edited by wao; 2004-08-21 at 09:02.
Old 2004-08-21, 11:31   Link #57
wao
OK.

Sorry for the double post. I hope this might keep things more organised...

Why am I doing this? I don't know... Maybe for people who haven't watched the seires, but more like I want to act like a fool and waste my time when I have a lot of homework to do. I'm really lazy now so my "translations" will be worse than the last time! (Please give corrections!)

All names (including seiyuu) are lastname firstname.

Minamoto no Hikaru - 源光 - 17 years old
Voiced by Mizusawa Fumie
A 17-year-old maiden who goes on a warrior's journey, dressed up as a man to replace her elder brother Minamoto no Raikou, to retrieve the legendary Magatama.
When she returns to being a noble lady, usually she puts on a facade that shows an unusually weak side of her. An expert flute-player.

Watanabe no Tsuna - 渡辺綱 - 20 years old
Voiced by Miyake Kenta
Bound by oath to be Raikou's sworn brother, he is Hikaru's brother, and is a loyal fighter who travels with Hikaru as her shield.
When he had both eyes, he could mow down flying arrows and daggers with a sword, an expert at arrow ambush.
He is the wielder of the large long sword Onikkirimaru.

Mansairaku - 万歳楽 - 22 years old
Voiced by Miki Shinichiro
A handsome young sarugakushi (court entertainer) who entertains the highest authorities. He was always called to the Imperial Court, and his frequenting the Imperial Court mansions was made well known.
Spoiler for Spoiler?:
and he wanders around various countries in order to dedicate his dance to somebody.

*-Who are they referring to? I'm not clear. (the * is in the spoiler)
Note: If I'm not wrong his name literally means "10000/myriad years [of] music/ease/happiness"

Minamoto no Raikou - 源頼光 - 18 years old
Voiced by Miki Shinichiro
Hikaru's brother, who
Spoiler:
. Well known in the Capital as an expert archer and a famous warrior, he is the heir of the Minamoto clan.
His body is delicate as a result of the sickness he has had from birth.

Usui no Sadamitsu - 碓井貞光 - 19 years old
Voiced by Sugiyama something (I don't know which reading of 大)
A kebiishi (warriors who acted as a police force in the Heian period) who carries two swords at his waist.
He loves women, and certainly always loves feeling them up. He hates kids, but they are always one-sidedly attached to him. "I will even let go of my life for women" is a frequent phrase of his. Even though he grumbles under his breath a lot, his high level of swordsmanship is certain.*

* - Don't know how to translate the last line properly.

Urabe no Suetake - 卜部季武 - 20 years old
Voiced by Sakuma Kumi
An intelligent beauty who has a clear, sharp mind. She has a strong sense of responsibility, with a very rational character, but sometimes she appears to be cold and cruel.
Spoiler for Possible?:

Kintarou - 金太郎 - 11 years old
Voiced by Mizuta Wasabi
A young boy who was born and raised on the Mountain of Ashigara. He wanders around the land to defeat the country's strongest bear. He is naive and innocent, with an active sense of curiosity. His favourite phrases are "Is that guy strong?" and "Isn't the food done yet?", when he just puts something in his mouth for the time being to see what it is. *

* - I'm totally unsure how to translate after "Isn't the food done yet".

Abe no Seimei - 阿部晴明 - More than 100 years old
Voiced by Tokumaru Kan
An old onmyouji (diviner) who wears a mask and is said to be more than 100 years old. He reads the movements of the stars and predicts the future.
Spoiler for Spoiler?:

For that reason, he walks around holding onto the small girl known as Matsumushi.

Matsumushi herself doesn't have a page

I don't know whether you should read the spoilers or not, but they're rather interesting (especially the Mansairaku one :>)
Old 2004-08-21, 18:19   Link #58
Codex

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
EDIT3: Character map can be found here: http://www20.brinkster.com/shoreii/otogizoushi.html (feel free to use and change it, just don't hotlink the image because brinkster won't load it!)
I know my translation sucks, which is why it's just rudimentary and basic. I can say it's not totally off the mark though. Translations I'm most unsure of are the "Nice chick to hit on", "Some ol' flirt", "Clingy Child" (very unsure), and "Puzzling person" relations. I applied a lot of "poetic license" to some of the translations :[
Thanks for translating the character map! I've looked at the untranslated image several times, really wanting to know what the arrows said. BTW ... the arrows pointing to and from Sadamitsu are so hilarious!
Old 2004-08-21, 22:38   Link #59
wao
OK.

Quote:
Thanks for translating the character map! I've looked at the untranslated image several times, really wanting to know what the arrows said. BTW ... the arrows pointing to and from Sadamitsu are so hilarious!
What is more intriguing is the "?" between *ahem* and *ahem* (Sorry, I can't help it.)

Especially when you read the 'spoiler' for Mansairaku... Well okay, it's not that huge, but it provides an interesting memory to the story I wonder if it has any actual significance, though. Can't wait for more eps...
Old 2004-08-23, 04:46   Link #60
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Spoiler for ep 6:
Closed Thread

Tags
historical