AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-05-16, 08:32   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Hyouka - Character Discussion - Ibara Mayaka

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Ibara Mayaka related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Hyouka fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.
  • Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.
  • Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.
  • Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.
    • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2012-05-16 at 20:32.
Old 2012-05-17, 01:54   Link #2
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

Mayaka role in the story

I'm still a little puzzled (as of episode 4) about the role of Mayaka in the story. Houtara is the main character. Satoshi is to give him information, and Eru is his motivation. But so far, Mayaga doesn't really have a roll in the story. (Well, except for being cute when Houtarou solve a problem she can't. Not that I complain about that.)

Of course it is easy to dismiss it as the author just want to include a childhood friend character, but at this point I don't think that's the case. The usual childhood friend role and my best guess is to represent Houtarou's past, but Satoshi is kind of doing that also. So it seems unlikely.

Another thing is I'm torn between hoping she keep her romantic interest on Satoshi, so she's out of the usual cliché, and her switching to Houtarou since, IMO, she's at her cutest when she's pouting because Houtarou did something she can't. Maybe we can have both.
Old 2012-05-19, 02:15   Link #3
Lilith
Your average fangirl

I believe that she's there because she's the informant since she works in the library. Or did she joing the club? And why does she dislike Oreki so much?
Old 2012-05-19, 02:31   Link #4
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

I believe her dislike for Oreki might come from before the novel, when they were in middle school ( remember the 3 of them were classmates? )

As for her role in the series, I completely trust the original author, a fellow writer, not to have put a main character just because. I'm pretty sure that her abilities and/or persona itself will become a big turning point. That said, the series itself is about growing up, and what are 2 boys and 2 girls going to do... huh

Just my 2 cents.

Arturia

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Old 2012-05-19, 10:18   Link #5
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

At this point in the series, Mayaka seems to serve as a sort of skeptical foil to Houtarou. Clearly, they have some sort of history from their time in middle school, so there's tension between them. She's smart and she views him as a kind of rival; so she's not apt to breathlessly accept Houtarou's deductions. So, having her around allows Houtarou to better explain his deductions to those of us outside the fourth wall. Recall that she, and Satoshi, tried (without success) to solve the mystery of the tome of history before Houtarou and Eru showed up. Mayaka was also the one who demanded that Houtarou explain how he convinced the newspaper man to dig up the Classics Club's anthologies for them.
Old 2012-07-23, 22:02   Link #6
Excorsism

Surprised this isn't getting more responses. Latest episode shows that Mayaka is still hot for Satoshi. Get on it!
Old 2012-07-23, 23:24   Link #7
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

^^ The fact that Irisu's thread has more answers just shows how superficial this character seems.

Up until the last episode, I honestly didn't even consider her mildly interesting. Now that we know that the can draw and cook, and be something other than a cute face to balance the boy/girl ratio... I might consider her a better character.

Arturia

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Old 2012-07-24, 00:56   Link #8
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

Because most of what have been said about her are in episode threads?

For someone who is clueless about guy/girl friendship, I like the few short scenes Mayaka and Houtarou are alone together. It feel like a real "just a childhood friend" to me. Take their walking to the clubroom in episode 12, for example. They know the distance to keep, which is just a little bigger than Houtarou/Eru or Satoshi/Mayaka pair. Houtarou also understand what's going on her mind and the right level of warning to say. Their "not a best friend, but stuck together for a long time" relationship is portrayed well.
Old 2012-07-24, 05:25   Link #9
WooChan

Ibara Mayaka is the otaku of the group, the latest episode showed her collection of manga! Now that's interesting about her
Old 2012-08-09, 20:10   Link #10
Senshigeia

An OK character since the beginning, but she is getting more and more interesting and sweet in the festival arc. She is very sensitive towards manga art and she is showing feelings for Satoshi. I am expecting a lot from her in the last episodes!

Sig credit to Bila / Avatar credit to SweetHoney

Check out my anime and manga lists!
Closed Thread

Tags
characters