AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-12-04, 21:03   Link #221
s'my
watashi wa chiisaikeredo

Sorry my bad, considering this is in the DVD&Licensed forum Anyhow, was just expressing my appreciation for the series and I'm enjoying the new arc, but was wondering - do the japanese urban legends really exist or were they made up for the show?
Old 2004-12-07, 00:19   Link #222
runpsicat
Engrishator
*Fansubber

Japan is well-characterized for being very rich in folklore and ghost stories (which are basically urban legends, just not necessarily in an urban context ). Urban legends and rumors are prevalent in modern society as well, more recent ones being kuchisake-onna ("split-mouth woman") and such. As if anime didn't make it obvious enough, but Japanese people are very into superstitions, charms (omajinai), and the supernatural in everyday life. I can't really say why, but I suppose it may have something to do with that Japan has a long history of animism. Perhaps Dreamless has more insight into the matter .

As far as I know, most of the specific urban legends in Otogizoushi's modern arc aren't real ones. Seeing how the Heian arc was a compendium of modified legends and characters borrowed from existing legends, the modern arc was probably also set up along a similar vein.
Old 2004-12-09, 12:03   Link #223
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

well, I'm not from Japan so I only heard it from some others. I heard that in some supermarkets in Tokyo when you buy things the subtotal will be indeed 1 cent more than the correct amount. And they'll return it to you if you ask for it, but if you don't ask for it then you pay 1 cent more. The official explanation is some bug in the OS used in the cash registers.
Old 2004-12-15, 10:12   Link #224
wao
OK.

Whee, ep 21. I think I've lost faith in the writing of this show, but I keep watching. :P

Spoiler:

This ep was bleh, even though it had lots of sexy and cool Mansaicoatu, but next ep should be worth looking forward to.
Old 2004-12-17, 05:51   Link #225
Wolfsbane68

Re ep. 21
Spoiler:
Old 2004-12-22, 04:22   Link #226
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

ep21 is fun
Spoiler:
Old 2004-12-23, 12:47   Link #227
wao
OK.

Geh. I watched ep 22 just now... I declare that I only watch this show now for Mansairaku - the scriptwriting has gotten really stupid and the animation went to an all time lo wthis episode. Even Mansairaku's gotten campy. It's lost all the magic of the first 13 episodes which were *much* better...

Ahhh, at least Mansairaku was still so sexy in this episode even though everyone else's faces were screwed up. Urabe always gets the short end of the stick when it comes to being drawn it seems... and next ep she looks absolutely terrible. T_T
Old 2006-01-10, 14:12   Link #228
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

I finally got around to watching this series and I can't believed it took me this long

This is very good series. I love this type of reincranation/doom lover type stories I just eat it up I only gotten to the dog episode. I am looking very forward to everyone getting their memories back.
Old 2008-06-11, 14:07   Link #229
Lawfer

Does this have anything to do with Otogi the video game? They mentioned "The Capital" and some of the music seem to come directly from the games themselves.
Closed Thread

Tags
historical