AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-09-06, 12:59   Link #1
Shoeshefied

Send a message via AIM to Shoeshefied
Thumbs up An anime called Fancy Lala

hello everyonee!.. hmmm.....I was just wondering if anybody ever watch this anime called "Fancy LaLa", bout some girl with an amazing imagination..... im into not so old but old anime.. uh.. ^^' , also anime like Hime-chan ribbon... (yes i know ..this thread will die shortly)
Old 2004-09-06, 14:51   Link #2
Ending

To help out those who have never even heard about it...
Quote:
" Miho is a young elementary-school age girl who draws manga and has fantasies about cute male idol types, in other words, a perfectly normal Japanese schoolgirl. Then she meets Pigu and Mogu, two little fairies who look like SD pastel dinosaurs. Miho first thinks they're just little stuffed animals, until she starts hearing these voices which seem to be coming from the stuffed animals. Of course, they are in fact coming from the stuffed animals, but Pigu and Mogu aren't entirely sure they've got the right girl and are being very careful about not revealing their true selves... until she says, quite pointedly, that they're pretty weird-looking dinosaurs and she's going to just throw them away. THEN they crack. Pigu cracks, I should say; Mogu is much more controlled.
They explain to her what they are and offer her a gift of magic. This takes the form of a sketchbook and pen, which have the following abilities:
- She can draw clothing in the sketchbook and it will become real.
- She can use the pen to transform herself into an older girl - actually, to transform herself into the model/idol singer character she created named Fancy Lala (no wonder the title's so dorky, it was thought up by a little girl).

Naturally, she's thrilled about this. She goes to a talent agency and gets a job as a model. Then the real fun begins. She's got two lives now; she's a student and has friends and family as Miho, but she's also got the excitement of a modelling career and friends as Lala. And they tend to conflict. And her friends wonder what she's doing with that cell phone, and it tends to ring when it's very inconvenient. And she has to find places that are safe to change clothes and transform into Lala. And she's got these two little gluttons of dinosaurs on her hands who aren't trying very hard not to get discovered...needless to say, Chaos ensues."
Sounds interesting, although a bit too aimed for younger audiences.
Old 2004-09-06, 16:05   Link #3
Shoeshefied

Send a message via AIM to Shoeshefied
Thumbs up

=** ), that was beautiful.... wish they did made it for audience like 15 and up. =T..
Old 2004-09-06, 17:09   Link #4
TechnoMage
Shoujo-Anime Member

Re: Mahou no Stage Fancy Lala

I watched DVD1 of Lala... I quite enjoyed what I saw. Still need to watch DVD2 (it's only been on my shelf for nearly 2 years ~_~) and order DVD3-6 (with Bandai's recent price reduction of these disks, there is no reason for me to not have them...).

If you enjoy shows of the mahou shoujo (magical girl) sort, I'd suggest you try this one out. Heck, with the MSRP of the 6 DVDs being 9.95 (or thereabouts) USD, you can't really go wrong.
Old 2004-09-06, 17:49   Link #5
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirhe
Sounds interesting, although a bit too aimed for younger audiences...
That's not the case. The plot summary is accurate, but the show is not quite that simple. In the first ten episodes or so the main story is set up. And that story, regarding the industry surrounding models and idol singers, is told more from the point of view of the adults working in the industry than of Miho/Lala as the newcomer to the scene.

The series then gets into a more reflexive type of storytelling. There is more being told than Miho can necessarily grasp at a schoolgirl level of comprehension; the show is not really about Miho's awareness of what is going on around her (or her career), but tells the story of her growing up from a third-person perspective.

Not everyone enjoys growing-up stories but many Japanese like them. This is one of the best anime based on this theme, and one of the best mahou shoujo series ever made.
Old 2004-09-06, 18:59   Link #6
bluemist
i am the mist

We had this show locally and also on cable. It's been widely compared to Full Moon wo Sagashite a while back, but Fancy Lala was produced first of course. And just now I discovered that there was a manga counterpart of it which also ran in Ribon.

It's such a nice show, with interesting characters. I liked her older sister Chisa very much, and the few episodes to her credit. Of course I adore Miho/Lala. Unlike Mitsuki/Full Moon (who has too strong a character for her age), she is easily hurt in the smallest of problems. Very child-like.

One thing I didn't like about Fancy Lala though are the multiple fillers that have the 'fantasy' theme (Miho going to magical places and have pointless adventures). Thankfully there are only a handful of that. Also, the consistency of the art/animation of the characters are very varied. As usual, this is a Studio Pierrot production.
Old 2004-09-06, 21:54   Link #7
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemist
...One thing I didn't like about Fancy Lala though are the multiple fillers that have the 'fantasy' theme (Miho going to magical places and have pointless adventures)...
Those episodes are full of symbols and symbolic events. They provide commentary on Lala's condition. I thought they were interesting - they certainly set the show apart from the more formula-driven mahou shoujo series.
Old 2004-09-07, 04:23   Link #8
bluemist
i am the mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
Those episodes are full of symbols and symbolic events. They provide commentary on Lala's condition. I thought they were interesting - they certainly set the show apart from the more formula-driven mahou shoujo series.
Hmm.. I think I didn't enjoy those symbolisms in its full effect because what I was watching were dubbed versions, one in Filipino (Philippine channel) and one in English (Animax-Asia).
Old 2004-09-07, 14:59   Link #9
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
I think it is a very CUTE magical girl anime
Old 2008-07-27, 00:08   Link #10
ohtori_akio
Gold Saint of Pisces

This anime surprised me by how mature it became towards the end. Sure, it was set up to be so early on but I never paid much attention as I just enjoyed the cute nature of it. By the end though, I realised how wonderfully crafted it was and also how maturely the whole scenario was handled. One of the best of its genre and features in my top 5 animes ever. Highly recommended.
Old 2009-03-16, 11:38   Link #11
christine_cute
A total anime freak^^

I personally love this anime because the story, graphics and characters are very cute!
Old 2009-03-16, 17:52   Link #12
metamorphic
ことわり
*Fansubber

The art and background for the show was pretty good and had an almost nostalgic flavor attached to it... it certainly helped sweep me into the show. Nowadays, it really does make you feel like it was from a forgotten, but truly beautiful age.
Old 2009-03-16, 22:35   Link #13
denice25

that was beautiful...
Old 2009-04-06, 13:28   Link #14
Allenby
Riceball

Send a message via MSN to Allenby
I seen it. Age really doesn't matter at all in my opinion. It's a fun-filled drama that can reach anyone's heart.
Old 2009-04-06, 20:47   Link #15
Liddo-kun
is this so?

I espescially like the ending song of this anime, very cute!
Closed Thread