AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-01-20, 14:54   Link #6621
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
Why is mother "mama" in about every language?
Because they are the first sounds babies make.
Old 2013-01-20, 15:24   Link #6622
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Why is mother "mama" in about every language?
It is a matter of linguistics and that "ma" is one of the first syllables a baby can pronounce. Babies come equipped to make every sound of every language on Earth. They listen and by the time they're 2 or 3, they've unwired all the sounds not in their native language.
Old 2013-01-21, 17:22   Link #6623
Kudryavka

Thank you.

What tv do you need to watch bluray? And cable?
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 16:49   Link #6624
monster

In the English language, is there a term/label to differentiate between we as opposed to singular/plural you and we as opposed to they?

I'm not asking about how to differentiate the two in a sentence. I'm asking if there's a name for each usage.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 19:11   Link #6625
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

We always means first person plural. There is no alternative meaning.

The only alternative meaning, and it's a rare one, is the royal "we".
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 19:46   Link #6626
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
We always means first person plural. There is no alternative meaning.

The only alternative meaning, and it's a rare one, is the royal "we".
No, I meant, say you're talking to person A.

You could say: We could go to the movie.
Meaning: You and person A.

You could also say:

We're going to see you later.
Meaning: You and some other person B.

I'm asking if there a term that differentiates the two usage.

It seems the answer is no.
Old 2013-01-26, 19:53   Link #6627
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

No, English is particularly broken in the area of pronouns.
Old 2013-01-26, 20:04   Link #6628
monster

Oh well, thanks anyways, people.
Old 2013-01-26, 23:05   Link #6629
Kudryavka

I'm seeing a whole lot of pictures linked to forums being hosted at imgur.com now. Is imgur the new cool place for picture hosting? Does it offer anything special over Photobucket and the older sites?
Old 2013-01-26, 23:30   Link #6630
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
I'm seeing a whole lot of pictures linked to forums being hosted at imgur.com now. Is imgur the new cool place for picture hosting? Does it offer anything special over Photobucket and the older sites?
I'm a Photobucket user at first but the loading of the page lags my computer.. and evry images are moving.... While in Imgur... the lag is minimal and the images just moves when you click them...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 23:34   Link #6631
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Quote:
In general, imgur was designed for sharing images quickly and easily (whereas photobucket seems more inclined towards general image archiving, and even then it pales in comparison to simply using Dropbox or some other cloud storage service), whilst keeping out intrusive ads (mostly).
It's not as good for sharing larger images (it performs compression once an image hits 2MB, which imageshack doesn't do IIRC), but it's one of the best image sharers out there for general ease of use (you can also look at where an image originated from as well, URL-wise).
Old 2013-01-27, 05:29   Link #6632
NoemiChan
Banned

Question: Is there any difference between a game that is installed and the other that was just copied form another computer and saved in a folder? They are both working though but does it have any effect to the computer? Performance or anything?
Old 2013-01-27, 05:39   Link #6633
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Question: Is there any difference between a game that is installed and the other that was just copied form another computer and saved in a folder? They are both working though but does it have any effect to the computer? Performance or anything?
well it depend with the game really. some small game (Flash, Indie) can be play by just copied to other computer. most big game however need to be installed in other to be played properly.

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 05:46   Link #6634
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
well it depend with the game really. some small game (Flash, Indie) can be play by just copied to other computer. most big game however need to be installed in other to be played properly.
I already had the idea about that but my concern is more of if I could play the game uninstalled, could that decrease the load on the processor?.
Old 2013-01-27, 05:52   Link #6635
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
I already had the idea about that but my concern is more of if I could play the game uninstalled, could that decrease the load on the processor?.
ehhh I dont think so if the game is needed to installed

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 06:02   Link #6636
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
ehhh I dont think so if the game is needed to installed
Hmmm.. example. I installed a game, it will make a folder right? Then I copied it and paste it somewhere else. I then uninstalled the original. I play the game using the copied folder. will it affect the game or the computer's process...
Old 2013-01-27, 06:17   Link #6637
Kudryavka

Thanks, I got an imgur.

Quote:
Well, it depends. If you use Windows, then yes, just like RRW said, you need to install the game. A very few games can run in their own folders (like fan games), but most commercial games need to be installed so that they're recorded in the registry. Otherwise the game won't run. The only games I ever seen and played that didn't need to be in the registry were very light and easy on the performance, so I don't know. But I know that any difference doesnt matter because you need to install any game that takes up a lot of performance anyway.

But if you use Mac, then you can copy and paste any app on another computer and it will work fine, no installation needed. So no, if you have a Mac

Quote:
Hmmm.. example. I installed a game, it will make a folder right? Then I copied it and paste it somewhere else. I then uninstalled the original. I play the game using the copied folder. will it affect the game or the computer's process...
Please dont do this, it's going to break your game. And it won't run on the new computer. If you're using Windows.

You will need to reinstall the game on the new computer from the disc. Or edit the registry information in manually, but trust me when I say you dont wanna do that...
Old 2013-01-27, 06:20   Link #6638
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
A very few games can run in their own folders (like fan games), but most commercial games need to be installed so that they're recorded in the registry. Otherwise the game won't run.
Funny, I got AOE, SC, RTW and RTCW playing in folders...
Old 2013-01-27, 06:23   Link #6639
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

It won't affect performance in any way (assuming it runs).

The installer merely copies the necessary files, performs necessary checks and configuration and installs whatever dependencies it has (ie. update directx, etc). Windows doesn't care where and how it came to be in said folder. So as long as it is properly configured it will run, and either way there's no "performance problems" to speak of.

That said outside of indie bundle I have yet to see any commercial game you would need to copy/paste. I would guess you have pirated copies.
Old 2013-01-27, 06:25   Link #6640
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
It won't affect performance in any way (assuming it runs).

The installer merely copies the necessary files, performs necessary checks and configuration and installs whatever dependencies it has (ie. update directx, etc). Windows doesn't care where and how it came to be in said folder. So as long as it is properly configured it will run, and either way there's no "performance problems" to speak of.
I see... cause I'm currently copying them and uninstalling them.. Thank to everyone!!!

Tags
problem, q&a, serious