Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-06-18, 03:51   Link #521
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velsy View Post
I really like turned based combat. Feel kinda down cause I cant get it. Is it really worth spending 680++ to play one game ?
No single game is worth spending 680+ dollars on. No matter how great they are. If you are willing to buy a console, make sure you have at least a few games in your mind you want to play. Whether they are already released doesn't matter, just make sure VC isn't the only game you'll ever play on it.

For me, VC was the game that tipped the proverbal scale. I was already tempted to buy one, but there was never a game I wanted to play that hadn't been released on the 360 as well. VC changed that. And with the PS3 being a hellalot more quiet, I prefer playing my games on the PS3.

On that note, 360 > PS3 in terms of online stores. Not owning a credit card, it is impossible for me to buy things in the Playstation store as a European gamer. Which is why, no matter how much I want it, I haven't been able to touch the Valkyria Chronicles DLC.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-18, 04:04   Link #522
jwai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
On that note, 360 > PS3 in terms of online stores. Not owning a credit card, it is impossible for me to buy things in the Playstation store as a European gamer. Which is why, no matter how much I want it, I haven't been able to touch the Valkyria Chronicles DLC.
Are you able to get one of them debit cards that has a valid credit card number but draws from your bank account rather than borrowing money? That's how I get things done.

Haha, rifle grenades are great. Things get a lot easier when you can take out more than one guy without leaving yourself open.

Say, what tank parts do you guys use for Edelweiss (and by extension Shamrock)? I've recently gone towards things that boost accuracy, although that obviously means giving up a lot of other things, although having Reinforced Barrel for extra range may help reduce return fire.

Last edited by jwai; 2009-06-18 at 07:11.
jwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-18, 07:15   Link #523
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Went to EB today and they had all types of specials

Did what I set out to do and check up on Valkyria Chronicles the game. They had it w00t and it was marked with a 30 dolllars off sticker. Its price was $99. Then went and asked how much the playstation 3's were.... $680 I looked liked this O_O.

stupid its only for ps3, do the game makers forget that games come on PC's awell ?

I really like turned based combat. Feel kinda down cause I cant get it. Is it really worth spending 680++ to play one game ?
What kind of dollars are we talking, here? That can't be USD. PS3s are down to about 400USD of late.

Not that this makes Keroko's point any less valid, and I find it amusing that his and my tipping points for the PS3 were the same game.

And a lot of games never come out for PC. Most casual gamers could (you know, before consoles became more expensive than they really should be) afford a console more than they could a nice gaming PC.

Quote:
I'm upset for you man. jwai's point is valid; a debit card is probably your friend here... though at 21 you really should be getting a credit card and establishing a credit rating anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwai View Post
Say, what tank parts do you guys use for Edelweiss (and by extension Shamrock)? I've recently gone towards things that boost accuracy, although that obviously means giving up a lot of other things, although having Reinforced Barrel for extra range may help reduce return fire.
I never really paid much attention to tank parts. I kinda threw in defensive stuff and left it at that.
Old 2009-06-18, 09:07   Link #524
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
I think (without actually checking) that I try to put one of every type of piece on the board. Sometimes I can't do that because I want to specifically use a very big piece of one type. Like I use at least one captured tank part for accuracy. Poor accuracy of the tank cannons and machine guns always pissed me off a lot so both tanks have the top accuracy+ parts on.

I also found that treads tended to take more damage than the hull so I put a middle-grade tread defense part on.

When I play later today I'll list my exact specs on the Shamrock and the Edelweiss.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-18, 09:38   Link #525
Barbobot

The only really important parts are Accuracy for the tank. I just try to load up as much +Accuracy as I can and a +Ammo one for 2 mortar shots. After that I fit whatever defense stuff in the left over space.
Barbobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-18, 14:01   Link #526
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Am I the only player here that virtually never used the tanks? <_< Really, I only used them when I really really needed to. The points were more spend on Welkin's orders.

Quote:
Are you able to get one of them debit cards that has a valid credit card number but draws from your bank account rather than borrowing money? That's how I get things done.
A what? I'm going to have to do some research into that... Thanks for the advice, I'll see where that ends up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
Not that this makes Keroko's point any less valid, and I find it amusing that his and my tipping points for the PS3 were the same game.
Amusing indeed.

Quote:
I'm upset for you man. jwai's point is valid; a debit card is probably your friend here... though at 21 you really should be getting a credit card and establishing a credit rating anyway.
Not really, almost anything in my country can be done using PIN passes that draw directly from your bank accounts. Being that all you have to do is swipe a pass and enter a four digit code, it's just as easy as a credit card, but infinitely more secure. Online payments are often done with the bank account itself or security programs like Ideal or paypal.

The things I need a credit card for are only a handful of exceptions. Unfortunately, this includes the Playstation Store.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-18, 14:07   Link #527
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Am I the only player here that virtually never used the tanks? <_< Really, I only used them when I really really needed to. The points were more spend on Welkin's orders.
Hence my defensing the thing up and ignoring it otherwise. I just needed it to take hits, most of the time.

Quote:
Not really, almost anything in my country can be done using PIN passes that draw directly from your bank accounts. Being that all you have to do is swipe a pass and enter a four digit code, it's just as easy as a credit card, but infinitely more secure. Online payments are often done with the bank account itself or security programs like Ideal or paypal.

The things I need a credit card for are only a handful of exceptions. Unfortunately, this includes the Playstation Store.
I mean, getting a credit rating. Now, this could be entirely off-base, as your country (NED?) may not have this concept, but a credit rating is entirely necessary to buy a house in mine. I needed three credit lines (read: two credit cards and a rent payment) in order to get my mortgage approved.

A debit card is almost the same thing as a PIN pass, except it can masquerade as a credit card in cases where payment must be by credit.
Old 2009-06-18, 14:10   Link #528
JagdPanther

Quote:
I rarely used tanks as well, but when I DID use them I wanted them to be as powerful as possible.

I preferred to do things with infantry as well. It cost less CP and it was more fun to use my favorite characters, like Lynn, Freesia, Nina, Audrey, etc. Why use the Edelweiss or Shamrock when Audrey, with Ultimate Anti-Armor every action, could just blitz behind a tank and take it out?

That said I refused to equip any Lancers with the mortar so the Edelweiss and Shamrock were really useful in that respect, especially now during my second play-through when in earlier levels I'm using tanks with end-game parts and weapons. It's really easy to take out 2+ enemies at a time with the mortar now.

Old 2009-06-18, 15:34   Link #529
Velsy

680 in Aussie dollars. Ever since the new Prime Minister was voted in, the Aussie dollar has dropped significally

Donated by Om Nerabdator
Velsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-18, 15:46   Link #530
JagdPanther

Out of curiosity, has anyone applied the Valkyria themes and/or backgrounds to their PS3s? I noticed them when I was buying the DLC and I've been running the VC theme on my PS3 ever since. I really like it.

Old 2009-06-18, 15:53   Link #531
jwai

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
Out of curiosity, has anyone applied the Valkyria themes and/or backgrounds to their PS3s? I noticed them when I was buying the DLC and I've been running the VC theme on my PS3 ever since. I really like it.
Where did you find them?
Old 2009-06-18, 16:14   Link #532
JagdPanther

Quote:
Where did you find them?
When I entered the SONY store on my PS3 I searched for the Valkyria Chronicles entry and inside were about 10 items including the new DLCs, a demo, some videos, and a VC theme for the PS3 and 2 backgrounds. They're free. I downloaded one background and the theme. The theme changes yours background and restyles all the icons in the browser to be almost like avatars of VC characters.

If you don't find them maybe they're only an American thing.

Old 2009-06-18, 16:39   Link #533
Woopzilla
Desensitized

The official japanese site allows you to download the themes. You will have to download it to your PC and put it on a USB stick or external harddrive and connect it to your PS3.

You'll then have to install the theme. I've not tried it though since I've never had a need for either a USB stick or external drive ;|. I've heard some people say that Mobile Phones can server the same purpose.
Old 2009-06-18, 17:40   Link #534
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
A what? I'm going to have to do some research into that... Thanks for the advice, I'll see where that ends up.
I don't think debit cards exist in NL. However, if you're a student then most student bank accounts allow you to apply for a credit card. That's how I got my card. If you are not a student but have a reasonably good paying job (not minimum wage) getting a "real" card from any bank shouldn't be a huge problem either.

Quote:

Heh. I'm not entirely sure PIN (the way it's implemented now) is "infinitely more secure" as all a criminal needs is to hack/adapt a card reader at a shop or ATM to get the info from the magnetic strip and install a hidden camera to get your PIN code. PIN cards will get better protection if they start using chips inside the cards rather than magnetic strips.

But I'm getting rather off-topic here...

Quote:
I mean, getting a credit rating. Now, this could be entirely off-base, as your country (NED?) may not have this concept, but a credit rating is entirely necessary to buy a house in mine. I needed three credit lines (read: two credit cards and a rent payment) in order to get my mortgage approved.
Afaik, there is definitely no such thing as having to need one or more credit cards to get a mortgage here. There is such a thing as a credit rating (BKR = Bureau Credit Registrations) but those only register bad credit (debt). A registration at the BKR is what could make getting a mortgage more difficult, not the absence of one.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-18, 18:34   Link #535
kalbron

Quote:
680 in Aussie dollars. Ever since the new Prime Minister was voted in, the Aussie dollar has dropped significally
Eh? Around about March I got a "great" deal. $599 for a PS3, CoD4 (fun), Killzone 2 (crud), and then ended up paying ~$90 for VC. And I believe the dollar was lower around then too.

You can blame Little Kev for many things, but the price gouging that goes on in our video game retail sector isn't one of them.
kalbron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-18, 19:18   Link #536
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

$90 AUD for VC? I think it's possible to go cheaper, as long as you don't mind importing (PS3 is region free) and you don't get hit by Australian customs.

I got VC from this site a few months back. Even with shipping that comes out cheaper than $90 AUD. Oddly when I got it, it was $5 cheaper. Getting it through eBay might even be cheaper still (as low as $49 USD) but I'd carefully examine the sellers' history, payment and shipping options in that case.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-18, 21:38   Link #537
Velsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
$90 AUD for VC? I think it's possible to go cheaper, as long as you don't mind importing (PS3 is region free) and you don't get hit by Australian customs.

I got VC from this site a few months back. Even with shipping that comes out cheaper than $90 AUD. Oddly when I got it, it was $5 cheaper. Getting it through eBay might even be cheaper still (as low as $49 USD) but I'd carefully examine the sellers' history, payment and shipping options in that case.
it was $99

but had I bought it yesturday, I would of had 30 dollars off (EB special it seems) so would of been $69 if my maths is correct. But yah, normally its selling for 99.

Alot of new games in Australia seem to be anywhere from 89 - 109 nowdays <.<

Donated by Om Nerabdator
Velsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-19, 04:19   Link #538
Guppy

Even USD$49 sounds a bit high these days. Just to take one example, 365games.co.uk ship internationally for 50p, and they're listing Valkyria Chronicles at UKP25 (USD$40/AUD$51).

If I recall rightly, Australia is one of the countries that falls under Sony Europe, so it'd even be compatible with the Australian PSN Store for DLC...
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-19, 04:28   Link #539
jwai

Quote:
it was $99

but had I bought it yesturday, I would of had 30 dollars off (EB special it seems) so would of been $69 if my maths is correct. But yah, normally its selling for 99.

Alot of new games in Australia seem to be anywhere from 89 - 109 nowdays <.<
VC is selling for $69 at JB Hi-fi without any sale discounts.

Do Engineers and Snipers get any nifty bonuses or new weapons when they reach level 11?
Old 2009-06-19, 06:07   Link #540
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Quote:
VC is selling for $69 at JB Hi-fi without any sale discounts.

Do Engineers and Snipers get any nifty bonuses or new weapons when they reach level 11?
They only get some marginal accuracy and evade boosts to my knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
DLC is tied to the game version, so if you own the NA or PAL copy, the jpn DLC won't work.
I've got the NA, PAL and JPN releases. ;D

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote