AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-08-06, 10:44   Link #1
Aqua Knight

PC game recommendation

Looking for a good single-player game with good story. Games I liked:

Mass Effect 1,2
Dragon Age Origins, DA 2
KOtOR 1,2
Devil May Cry
Batman Arkham Asylum
Star Wars: Force Unleashed, Star Wars: Jedi Academy
TES:Morrowind, Oblivion
Prince of Persia 1-3
Fallout 3
GTA series
Max Payne 1,2
Gothic
Heroes of Might and Magic 3,5

Something with a 3rd person/action view would be nice. Game should be not older then 5-7 years. Some stealth action is nice too; I didn't like Assasins Creed.
I have a gamepad so ported games aren't a problem.

No horror like Dead Space, Silent Hill please.
I also don't want games like FIFA, Need for Speed i.e. sports and racing.

Last edited by Aqua Knight; 2011-08-12 at 15:57.
Old 2011-08-06, 11:15   Link #2
4Tran

It sounds like you're looking for the Witcher and Witcher 2. It's one of the relatively few games out there with good writing and where your decisions can dictate how events turn out without some sort of good/evil meter.
Old 2011-08-06, 11:30   Link #3
Aqua Knight

Oh totally forgot about Witcher. Read mixed reviews about it, saying that 1st one is very buggy is that true or patches fixed that?

Anyways thanks for recommendation, I will play it.
Old 2011-08-06, 12:07   Link #4
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Would Bioshock fits your interests? It has a dark atmosphere, though I wouldn't call it horror, but it is pretty heavy on, shall we say, story involvement. Many conflicting emotions to be had among the usually boneheaded mainstream nerd gamers with the Little Sisters and their plight on that one and its sequel.

As for a more traditional PC RPG, you don't have the Neverwinter Nights franchise listed. Personally, most of the franchise campaigns are too generic to care for (though if you get by with TES Oblivion's "story"...). Two exceptions though: the Hordes of the Underdark expansion for the first NWN is pretty good, while the first expansion for NWN2, Mask of the Betrayer, blew me away. Think KOTOR 2 with magic for that one, same lead writers I think -- unfortunately it has the same "rushed/unfinished" flaw at the end like KOTOR2, albeit not nearly as fatally. And there are always mods, it's a franchise that's meant to transplant D&D RPG gaming onto the PC after all, and the "successor" Dragon Age modding tools are simply outright less useable by far.

I can also recommend a criminally overlooked dark RPG title in Vampires: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Troika's last and greatest work. It has a gripping story, amazing dialogue and voice acting (play Malkavian for the lulz), sexy vampires, and the bugs and instability which plagued its early releases have long since been purged by the community unofficial patch. It could be hard to find though what's with the company being bankrupt and all, though there's always...other means of acquisition if you do not have issues with that.

And if you don't mind...age and gameplay limitations...there's always the legendary classic Bioware titles Baldur's Gate (II: Shadows of Amn at least, the first title was less good) and Planescape: Torment. And Fallout 1 and 2, since you've played 3 and all. But you said they shouldn't be too old, so I guess they're out.

Oh and do play Fallout 3: New Vegas if you haven't already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murasaki View Post
Oh totally forgot about Witcher. Read mixed reviews about it, saying that 1st one is very buggy is that true or patches fixed that?
The Witcher Enhanced Edition/Director's Cut fixed most of the problems and made it into a much more polished game. So yes, they fixed it.

I don't know about the state of the second title. I hear good reviews though, but then you can read them yourself too...
Old 2011-08-06, 12:32   Link #5
Aqua Knight

Irenicus,
Thanks for a detailed answer

I tried playing NWN, but I wasn't into the complex (compared to today games) system, so I dropped. It's not because I liked dumbed down games, but because I don't have much time now to fully engage in a game like this.

Concerning Oblivion, I liked gameplay and Dark Brotherhood but not the story

As for BioShock I am not really into singleplayer FPS.

I liked Fallout 3, but it wasn't superb, and I am not really keen on post-apo genre too. Also I don't feel like playing old games at all.

Pity that KOtOR is discontinued as singleplayer game, it was brilliant.

So I guess I'll stick to Witcher for now.
Old 2011-08-06, 13:54   Link #6
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
I tried playing NWN, but I wasn't into the complex (compared to today games) system, so I dropped. It's not because I liked dumbed down games, but because I don't have much time now to fully engage in a game like this.
It's actually almost the very same system as the KOTOR games, Bioware just masks the underlying system better there. Though I suppose the mages (in particular) in D&D are a lot more complicated than KOTOR force powers (legacy pen and paper fault). Playing a simpler class it's basically like KOTOR though.

That said, I just realized there's another Bioware title. Have you played Jade Empire? It's pretty short, it's 2005 so not that old, and it has a unique martial arts-based combat system (it's set in a China-like environment). It's a pretty good game and doesn't demand heavy investment in time and effort. The story is pretty good, too.

The Witcher is somewhat like it in that they both have "unique" combat styles that involve the player more than traditional pen and paper-originated RPG stat systems.

Quote:
Concerning Oblivion, I liked gameplay and Dark Brotherhood but not the story
Well that clears it up. I'm of the same opinion.

Quote:
As for BioShock I am not really into singleplayer FPS.
Got it.

Too bad though. I was thinking if you like it maybe you'd really like Deus Ex. Then again, maybe you'd still really like Deus Ex. Everybody -- and I really mean everybody -- does.

And try Vampire Bloodlines if you can get it. It really is a great game IMO. :X
Old 2011-08-06, 15:40   Link #7
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Icewind dale and neverwinter nights are great rpgs very long too and a lot of fun but a bit old.
If your looking for a up to date rpg and has good graphics and story just play witcher 1 and 2 there perfect.
Old 2011-08-06, 16:11   Link #8
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
I can also recommend a criminally overlooked dark RPG title in Vampires: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Troika's last and greatest work. It has a gripping story, amazing dialogue and voice acting (play Malkavian for the lulz), sexy vampires, and the bugs and instability which plagued its early releases have long since been purged by the community unofficial patch. It could be hard to find though what's with the company being bankrupt and all, though there's always...other means of acquisition if you do not have issues with that.
Yeah, I'll second this. I'd get it over The Witcher--the first one at least was really really boring. It might have some fairy interesting story-telling going on, but I stopped caring after the first few hours of inane combat. Also the narrative is harmed by the jarringly cheesy "romantic" encounters.

You might take a look at Gothic II and/or Risen.... and perhaps Fable if you're up for a simplistic though entertaining RPG.
Old 2011-08-06, 16:12   Link #9
Aqua Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post

That said, I just realized there's another Bioware title. Have you played Jade Empire?

Too bad though. I was thinking if you like it maybe you'd really like Deus Ex. Then again, maybe you'd still really like Deus Ex. Everybody -- and I really mean everybody -- does.

Maybe I will play Jade Empire someday

I don't like all these Vampire themes, so no. And don't know about Deus Ex, I think I am biased toward newer games as the have better graphics. I know that's wrong to give more attention to graphics than to gameplay but ...

I hated Fable, after playing I felt like throwing up
Old 2011-08-06, 22:04   Link #10
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Maybe I will play Jade Empire someday
I'd recommend Jade Empire good game.

Quote:
I don't like all these Vampire themes, so no. And don't know about Deus Ex, I think I am biased toward newer games as the have better graphics. I know that's wrong to give more attention to graphics than to gameplay but ...
I'm a little saddened you don't like SP FPS, some of the best games for the PC are FPS.
Deus Ex/System Shock 2/Half-Life are classic titles I think any avid PC gamer really should play at some point.
BTW I do believe there is a HD texture Mod for Deus Ex, so that maybe worth a look into.

Anyway a slightly older game dating back to 2001 you could try Severance: Blade of Darkness.
A rather forgotten title of great 3rd person adventure action but pretty sure graphics from then will look dated even tho it was considered pretty good for it's time.

I don't see Splinter Cell anywhere, theres really any pick from the whole series but I'd go with Chaos Theory, I believe to said to be the best one.
Also don't see Hitman series anywhere, quality gaming fun to be had here btw.
Can't remember how well the story held up cause I was having to much fun with all the silient killing!

Anything else I liked or thought was worth a mention probably wouldn't make the cut, it's mostly mediocre stuff but stuff I still found pretty enjoyable.

It's a real pity Uncharted wouldn't make it to the PC
Old 2011-08-07, 03:19   Link #11
Aqua Knight

I did both Half Life games of course :P
Oh, yeah , which Hitman series is the best? I also want play it.

And do you think the new Deus Ex Human Revolution worth playing, when it comes out?
Old 2011-08-07, 11:46   Link #12
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
I did both Half Life games of course :P
Oh, yeah , which Hitman series is the best? I also want play it.

And do you think the new Deus Ex Human Revolution worth playing, when it comes out?
Hmm tricky one saying which is the best Hitman but in general terms I'd say the lastest outting which is Blood Money.

But I did quite enjoy Contracts.

If you really got time then maybe starting from the 1st game might be good but I can't recall if you really need to play the games in order or if there was a overall pig picture spanning the games.
Sure someone else can clear that up.

Atm I'd hazard a guess and say yea Deus Ex: Human Rev is gonna be worth it, sure no doubt it will have it's little problems just like any other game but it just looks so damn good!

Remembered another title worth a look, Gears Of War.
Yes very action like, basically just a FPS with a 3rd person perspective really but I found it to be pretty good.
Old 2011-08-07, 13:20   Link #13
Aqua Knight

I started playing Witcher, but it didn't look to me nice maybe for now and my eyes hurt from its graphics, not because its bad, but the colors..
Old 2011-08-07, 14:02   Link #14
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
I started playing Witcher, but it didn't look to me nice maybe for now and my eyes hurt from its graphics, not because its bad, but the colors..
Force yourself through, that is what I am also going to do. The play part 2 which looks much better.
Old 2011-08-08, 17:25   Link #15
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

The Witcher 1+2 are amazing games!
A while back I have been playing a lot of PS2 games I missed/just for replay value through PCSX2, some games such as Ico and shadow of the colossus are definitely worth the time.
Old 2011-08-09, 14:04   Link #16
Aqua Knight

Oh, yeah before starting this thread I tried to launch Shadow of Colossus on my PC , but it lagged like hell
Old 2011-08-09, 14:47   Link #17
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

base on your OP post. i recommended you Darksiders. is like PC version equivalent to Zelda/GOW

Old 2011-08-11, 13:47   Link #18
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
In no particular order:

Fallout
Fallout 2
Fallout New Vegas + DLC
Thief 2: The Metal Age + Thief 2X: Shadows of the Metal Age (fan-made expansion)
Deus Ex
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura
Bioshock
Bioshock 2
Metro 2033
Call of Duty: Black Ops
The Suffering
Manhunt
Freelancer
Torchlight
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
The Witcher II: Assassins & Kings
Anachronox
Mirror's Edge
Afraid of Monsters Director's Cut (HL1 mod, will scare the shit out of you)
Arx Fatalis (very much like TES, only harder)
STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl
STALKER: Clear Sky
STALKER: Call of Pripyat

Get over your hate for FPS games. Third-person is not common on PC, if you really want third-person action games, use consoles. PCs are dominated by first-person games.

Also, get over your graphics addiction. Some of the best PC games ever made were developed back in the late 90s and early 2000s.
Old 2011-08-11, 15:39   Link #19
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
What if you only like games with good graphics? What if only good graphics please you? There's nothing to '' get over '' then and it's his '' loss ''if he doesn't want to play older games. I would actually want to know what are the '' best '' old games because I too, like my games with graphics, and I don't play old games.

I agree about the FPS thing though, you'll miss out on a LOT of games if you concentrate on 3rd person. But, seeing as you have played TES and Fallout, I don't really see where the hate for FPS is when these are in first person. You should play Fallout New Vegas by the way. The STALKER games are also excellent. Both were suggested by syn already, I see, so I'll just second those and Blops too. Usually FPS games that focus on MP have awful story, but not this one.. You really should play it.
Old 2011-08-11, 15:43   Link #20
calorie

Quote:
Something with a 3rd person/action view would be nice. Game should be not older then 5-7 years.
Gothic I and II are amazing RPGs with challenging gameplay and a very good storyline and atmosphere. Give them a shot and you won't regret it.
Closed Thread