AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2009-08-30, 12:46   Link #281
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
On Snow Leopard there is a minor graphical issue with the progress bar/scrubber in the mplayer os extended window. As the little diamond shaped icon moves right as the video progresses, the area to the left of it has a larger border around it that flashes on/off.

Spoiler for screen shot of issue:
Old 2009-08-30, 16:20   Link #282
sk3

Mine is a macbook pro 3,1 with a 2.4Ghz C2D.

the thing is, i've watched more anime then and i've never noticed high cpu usage like that. It could be some background process (damn i miss iStat menu )

I would try with a 1080p file but i don't remember any at the moment to check the cpu usage. I might try tonight so i'll post something when i check it.

If i'm not mistaken my currently cpu usage while watching 720p is around 30% max. I must check this information carefully while using the laptop (which i'm not atm )

I'll post more info tonight to clear up my doubts and results
Old 2009-08-30, 16:37   Link #283
sk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon9283 View Post
On Snow Leopard there is a minor graphical issue with the progress bar/scrubber in the mplayer os extended window. As the little diamond shaped icon moves right as the video progresses, the area to the left of it has a larger border around it that flashes on/off.

Spoiler for screen shot of issue:
That's the same problem i noticed. must be something about the new APIs. I hope the hackintosh community works fast so anime_layer can start testing mplayer on SL

It would be interesting to see OpenCL implementation in FFmpeg. they just implemented dual-core support and with the growth of hackintosh users, the implementation of OpenCL might be faster than we think which is a good thing
Old 2009-08-30, 19:37   Link #284
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

The Hackintosh community already have Snow Leopard running on a vanilla Intel machines already... it will probably take awhile until we see AMD computers be able to use Snow Leopard.

I'm also curious if Mplayer OSX Extended can take avantage of Grand Central Dispatch so it can better take avantage of multi-core systems, but that requires that the program to be written only for Snow Leopard only, which leaves PPC, Leopard and Tiger users in the dust... Also, I'm hoping that MPlayer will become a 64-bit program on Snow Leopard...
Old 2009-08-30, 22:24   Link #285
sk3

i'm not really used to OS X programming but, can't it be written in a way that the compilation process differs from the versions in the same code? i mean, put all the code together, then with compilation flags turn the 10.6 features on or off depending on the target system.

i guess that turning mplayer into 64bit and taking advantage of Grand Central Dispatch will be quite a rewrite in the code, and since mplayer devs are a bit lazy on the mac side IMHO (i say this because it doesn't seem to have so much support as the other systems) i don't see that coming unless some team starts rewriting mplayer from ground zero
Old 2009-08-31, 01:34   Link #286
pigoz
YUKI.N>

Send a message via MSN to pigoz
forget about mplayer using GCD, ffmpeg might use OpenCL in the future but that is a hard call.

edit: Can anyone build this http://repo.or.cz/w/libass.git on OSX? It is giving me problems.

Last edited by pigoz; 2009-08-31 at 04:38.
Old 2009-08-31, 09:29   Link #287
sk3

Ok i've done a few tests with 720p anime yesterday.

i've watched 3 different files from different anime and during playback, and monitoring with activity monitor, i got around 50-60% cpu usage during playback. sometimes spikes but must be of some scenes or somebackground processes (i've seen fc-cache running out of nowhere on background).

I'm going to try a 1080p tonight and check the usage. i do remember my laptop running very hot during 1080p playback of some movies but i don't remember it getting this hot while 720p playback (temperature is around 75º).

It's not that big of a problem for me but, cpu usage is way higher than expected. Didn't Grand Central Dispatch already "auto optimize" programs for dual core usage? if that's the case, it might be some conflict with ffmpeg-mt.

Oh and i forgot to mention, i'm always using FFMpeg-MT. Gonna try with normal to see the differences.
Old 2009-08-31, 10:41   Link #288
pigoz
YUKI.N>

I haven't looked about the new stuff to much, I don't plan to switch anytime soon (will let the other users be betatesters untile 10.6.2 or 10.6.3).
Old 2009-08-31, 18:00   Link #289
Epyon9283
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk3 View Post
Didn't Grand Central Dispatch already "auto optimize" programs for dual core usage?
No. GCD has no effect on apps that don't specifically use it.
Old 2009-09-02, 23:15   Link #290
sonikku10
ørz_Phtgrphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoz View Post
HOW TO: Compile mplayer with ffmpeg-mt and ORDERED CHAPTERS
Code:
### install dependencies
sudo port install git-core pkgconfig freetype fontconfig libiconv ncurses zlib lzo2

### get mplayer from development git
git://repo.or.cz/mplayer
cd mplayer
git checkout -b mt -t origin/mt && git submodule init && git submodule update

### configure
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/opt/local/lib/pkgconfig"
./configure --disable-x11 --disable-gl --disable-mencoder --extra-cflags=-I/opt/local/include --extra-ldflags=-L/opt/local/lib

###build
make

### install
sudo make install
and here is a screenshot of it running in the MPlayerOSX Extended gui we all love
I'm not quite sure what's going on, but I followed the instructions on your blog exactly, but I'm getting an error when i enter in "make".
Spoiler for Code:

So close, yet so far... Oh, if it's important, I'm running Snow Leopard.
Old 2009-09-03, 02:24   Link #291
pigoz
YUKI.N>

EDIT: I looked into your error and yes it is a Snow Leopard problem. Apparently it it generating bad assembly code or something.

Try if this compiled version works on SL (it has ordered chapters and new libass to support stuff like qIIq bakemonogatari). You still need to install the dependencies with macports since the libraries are liked dynamically.

Last edited by pigoz; 2009-09-04 at 05:26.
Old 2009-09-04, 21:00   Link #292
darukaru

By default, everything in Snow Leopard tries to build as x86_64 code, and apparently mplayer doesn't like this. You need to change your configure line so that it includes --extra-cflags="-I/opt/local/include -arch i386", and also you need to build all your ports with universal binary support (so that the libraries have i386 and x86_64 code, instead of just x86_64). I did it the other day, and had a sticking point with libmad--I had to build it twice and assemble the universal binary with lipo.
Old 2009-09-07, 23:48   Link #293
darukaru

After a bit of poking around, here's a configure string which worked for me to build a 64-bit mplayer binary under Snow Leopard. Use at your own risk, as I've tested it on a grand total of two videos so far. I used the latest source available from git, following pigoz's instructions otherwise.

Code:
./configure --target=x86_64-Darwin --disable-x11 --disable-gl --disable-mencoder --disable-sdl --enable-apple-remote --enable-macosx-bundle --enable-macosx-finder --disable-liba52-internal --disable-mp3lib --disable-qtx --extra-cflags=-I/opt/local/include --extra-ldflags=-L/opt/local/lib
Make sure to add libmad and a52dec to the list of libraries you build with MacPorts. Once you run configure, edit config.h and change #define HAVE_EBX_AVAILABLE 1 to #define HAVE_EBX_AVAILABLE 0. Then make. (tip via http://blog.bloople.net/read/mplayer-on-snow-leopard )
Old 2009-09-08, 02:30   Link #294
Ripdog

I had a go at compiling mplayer using pigozs instructions, with darukarus configure line, on SL. Unfortunately, make failed with
Code:
rm -f libavformat.a
ar rc libavformat.a allformats.o cutils.o metadata.o metadata_compat.o options.o os_support.o sdp.o utils.o avio.o aviobuf.o raw.o id3v1.o id3v2.o aiff.o riff.o amr.o apc.o ape.o asfdec.o asf.o asfcrypt.o avlanguage.o assdec.o au.o avidec.o avs.o vocdec.o voc.o bethsoftvid.o bfi.o c93.o daud.o dsicin.o dv.o dxa.o eacdata.o electronicarts.o ffmdec.o flacdec.o oggparsevorbis.o flic.o flvdec.o 4xm.o gxf.o idcin.o iff.o img2.o ipmovie.o iss.o lmlm4.o matroskadec.o matroska.o isom.o mm.o mmf.o mov.o mp3.o mpc.o mpc8.o mpeg.o mpegts.o msnwc_tcp.o mtv.o mvi.o mxfdec.o mxf.o ncdec.o nsvdec.o nutdec.o nut.o nuv.o oggdec.o oggparseflac.o oggparseogm.o oggparsespeex.o oggparsetheora.o oma.o pva.o qcp.o r3d.o rl2.o rmdec.o rm.o idroq.o rpl.o segafilm.o siff.o smacker.o sol.o soxdec.o psxstr.o swfdec.o thp.o tiertexseq.o tmv.o tta.o txd.o vc1test.o sierravmd.o vqf.o wav.o wc3movie.o westwood.o wv.o xa.o yuv4mpeg.o 
ranlib: archive member: libavformat.a(avlanguage.o) cputype (7) does not match previous archive members cputype (16777223) (all members must match)
ranlib libavformat.a
ranlib: archive member: libavformat.a(avlanguage.o) cputype (7) does not match previous archive members cputype (16777223) (all members must match)
make[1]: *** [libavformat.a] Error 1
make: *** [ffmpeg/libavformat/libavformat.a] Error 2
The only divergence from instructions was when i freaked after seeing xvid and x264 of the disabled codecs line, and installed them with macports.

I'm gonna try starting clean again, but I'm posting this first, does anyone have any idea why it failed? My only guess is that some parts from my failed x86 compile were left behind to confuse the x86_64 compiler.

Also, what did qtx, liba52, and mp3lib do and why were they disabled? Didn't they compile on 64bit?

EDIT: Okay, a make clean, reconfigure and make once more generated a working executable! Not only that, a few command line tests show it does play ordered chapters! Only issue now is that it was lagging mightily on 480p, but it's quite possible other apps are causing that. Anyone else having performance issues? Also, is this compile multi-threaded?
Old 2009-09-08, 21:40   Link #295
darukaru

If you built it with pigoz's instructions (doing the second round of git checkout, etc.), it should be multi-threaded. I noticed a problem with some AVIs that use mp3 soundtracks--they wouldn't play audio and the picture eventually froze; I assume this is due to using libmad instead of the built in mp3lib. (Remuxing the files as MKV solved the issue, but obviously this isn't a solution for everyone.) Other than that, performance seemed to be on the level with x86, maybe a little better on high bitrate H264.

QTX is supposedly "support for QuickTime formats", I figure that can be safely skipped. liba52 is for decoding ac3; the one that came with mplayer wouldn't compile, but the standalone port did. MP3lib is an mp3 decoding library, it's something else that wouldn't compile as a built-in module, and libmad is supposed to provide the same functionality.

Unfortunately I don't know enough about mplayer internals to properly report or fix these bugs, I just disabled things/switched to external libraries until I got a working compile that played the things I threw at it
Old 2009-09-09, 07:33   Link #296
pigoz
YUKI.N>

guys you are using a building method that I haven't been using for weeks. To check out a more elegant way to compile mplayer refer to this.

As always this is tested on Leopard, maybe darukaru can test this on SL (sorry I'm not too fond of being an early betatester for SL).
Old 2009-09-09, 18:01   Link #297
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

I might try building mplayer on my old Macbook Pro since I have already installed the XCode tools (which came with Snow Leopard) to compile it already... so I will give it a try since I have some free time.

Edit: While trying to finally build it, it seems to fail to build with a Error 2 on Snow Leopard. Making Terminal run in 32-bit mode did not help either.

Here is the specific error:
make[1]: *** [libpostproc/postprocess.o] Error 1
make: *** [ffmpeg] Error 2

Last edited by chikorita157; 2009-09-09 at 19:17.
Old 2009-09-09, 21:03   Link #298
Epyon9283
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
Edit: While trying to finally build it, it seems to fail to build with a Error 2 on Snow Leopard. Making Terminal run in 32-bit mode did not help either.

Here is the specific error:
make[1]: *** [libpostproc/postprocess.o] Error 1
make: *** [ffmpeg] Error 2
You need to post more out of the build output. Those errors by themselves aren't particularly useful.
Old 2009-09-09, 21:38   Link #299
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Here is the full build log, it seems that the build fails when building ffmpeg.

http://chikorita157.blogdns.net/file...-build-log.txt

(vBulletin seems to don't like my long log, so I need to place it in a separate file)
Old 2009-09-10, 04:06   Link #300
pigoz
YUKI.N>

Its a snow leopard problem: having problems compiling in 64bit. I'm not really sure how to fix that.

You could try disabling libpostproc from the script/ffmpeg-config if you don't plan on using post processing filters, or force a 32bit build.

Tags
wiki candidate