Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-02-07, 13:55   Link #201
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
And we all know the answer to that question... it's the power of lurrrve! XD
Trust me, you don't want to know how and why Lenard is doing all of this stuff to save the princess. I facepalmed (even though I was expecting it) when they did show why. Level 5 badly badly needs some decent script/scenario writer.

Quote:
One thing that struck me...

"The story campaign is easily completed in 25 to 30 hours, so really the game makes an excellent rental."

Damn, there goes the 'epic' story. T_T
Now this is leading me to think that right now I'm probably closer to the ending than what I originally supposed...

Not good. I don't mind a serie of games (like Persona 2 or Digital Devil Saga) but man atleast make the story worth to be followed if you want to prompt me to buy a sequel...
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 20:59   Link #202
DeotoxSlayer

And thread Ressurection.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/...at-we-read-44/

They people there are going to go preview so games that will be playble at E3 and one of them is White Knight Chronicles. If you have questions you want them to ask Sony you should leave it in their comments.

I'm glad to see that localization is under way and that something will be shown at E3. Hopefully this means that we'l be getting this game sometime this year.
DeotoxSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-29, 22:43   Link #203
DeotoxSlayer

Joystiq Impression on the localized version of White Knight Chronicls the tried out at the event they mentioned above.

Joystiq hands-on: White Knight Chronicles

by Randy Nelson { Apr 29th 2009 at 2:00PM } /playstation.joystiq.com/">

Sony and Level-5's latest role-playing collaboration, White Knight Chronicles, has been out in Japan since December, but we recently got a chance to check out a partially localized version of the game at Sony Gamers Day 2009.

Starting up the demo, we were treated to an intro cinematic featuring final English voice-over. The sequence, featuring the game's hero Leonard and his party gearing up for their quest, immediately dispelled any doubt that Level 5 -- known for a typically more anime or cel-shaded art style -- could pull off an immensely detailed, more "mature" looking RPG. The cutscene also left us hopeful the voice acting we were hearing remained as solid throughout the entirety of the final game.

Speaking of sound, Sony confirmed to us that it's planning to implement voice chat in the US and European versions of White Knight Chronicles, something that was painfully absent from the Japanese release. We're told it's not 100% set in stone, but the dev and localization teams "really want to make it happen."

Given the compressed schedule of the event, it was far from the ideal environment to go deep with such a high-profile RPG. Still, we were able to adventure through the overworld and come to grips with the combat system. The world itself is very lush and conveys a grand sense of scale, the latter being helped by an incredible draw distance.

Why wail away with puny swords when you can run an enemy through with a blade the size of a bus?
The enemies we fought were mainly pesky, wasp-like creatures with giant stingers and venomous walking plants. In other words, typical JRPG fare. Actually battling the beasts was very easy to get into -- we get the feeling Level-5 is trying to introduce a degree of mass-market friendliness with the controls. It's possible to simply point Leonard toward an enemy, keep pressing X, and finish them off -- but where's the flair (or fun) in that? Fortunately, the range of attacks seemed quite deep and the ability to create customized sets of them that are quickly selectable is a breeze.

With just a few button presses, we were able to create rows of custom attack combinations that could be navigated with a quick up/down/left/right on the D-pad. The Sony rep guarding the kiosk said he'd leveled the characters up "quite a bit," so it was hard to really get a feel for the effectiveness of one attack over another. They all killed in one hit!

Maybe it was payback for our hubris in gloating over all the quick kills, but we soon found outselves squaring off against an overworld mini-boss of sorts: a giant boar. Effectively flanking it and backing off when necessary using the real time movement system was the key to toppling the roaring, huffing, impressive beast.

Not long after this encounter we got a chance to transform our character into the towering --and titular -- White Knight in order to do battle with an equally gigantic enemy. After all, why wail away with puny swords when you can run an enemy through with a blade the size of a bus? We'd watched an earlier player attempt to take down the Ent-like tree monster and have a pretty hard time of it as a mere human-sized Leonard. Battling it on its own level, in something that looked like a medieval mech fight, was over pretty quickly. Still, it was spectacular while it lasted.

Sadly, the online co-op component of the game wasn't being demonstrated, but we've gut a hunch we'll get to play -- and write about -- plenty of it before this gorgeous looking game ships at the end of '09. If Sony can deliver the same quality of dialog, voice-over and gameplay we experienced, combined with proper voice chat for online team-ups, we're looking at the next great PS3-exclusive RPG.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________

G4TV White Knight Chronicles Localization Update:

'White Knight Chronicles' Localization Update
Posted by Brian Leahy - Wednesday, April 29, 2009 9:00 AM

Level 5's PS3 exclusive RPG White Knight Chronicles will be released in the United States this Fall, but how close is the developer to finishing the translation? I spoke with producer Tsubasa Inaba at Sony's Pre-E3 gamer's day to find out how complete the translation is and find out if anything will be added for the US release.

English voiceover sessions have been ongoing and the game is about 75% translated at this point. Inaba is also hoping that extra missions that have been published for the Japanese version's online component can be incorporated into the Blu-Ray release so players won't have to download content when they boot up for the first time.

On voice chat, it's something that Inaba and team at SCEA hope to be able to get into the game before the US release, but there's no definitive answer there at this time. I really hope they get the feature in for the sake of the game. Japanese gamers tend to avoid voice chat, but it's a must in the US. If it doesn't make it, you'll still be able to plug in a USB keyboard to type out messages.

The online component of White Knight Chronicles has been a surprise hit for SCEA and Level 5 in Japan with over half of players trying it at least once. This is a huge percentage for any game, let alone a Japanese game where online games aren't as prevalent.

If you missed my hands-on impressions of the Japanese version, you can read my import report here.

Source
Old 2009-12-04, 14:10   Link #204
Statonxyb
hrm

Necro time!

White Knight Chronicles International Edition coming to PS3 February 2, 2010

"So we know there are a bunch of people out there who are going to be getting a PlayStation 3 this holiday (or already opened theirs). Many new owners are probably going to ask us what we have to offer, and as many of you know, there’s plenty!

Level-5 and SCEA would like to add to that list of fantastic titles by announcing the North American release of White Knight Chronicles International Edition February 2, 2010."

"The International Edition not only includes the fully localized copy of White Knight Chronicles, but it also comes with the following additional features and content:

* Over 50 disc-based online quests. You can complete these quests solo, or cooperatively with up to three other players to gain extra gear and experience. (That’s just on the disc. Wait until you hear what else we’ll have at launch!)

* Voice Chat. Need we say more? =)

* The Georama. Build an online village for your character where you can invite friends to complete quests online and purchase unique items and gear.

* Live Talk. Leonard and his companions will have side conversations during gameplay, adding a little more character to your travels through the world of White Knight Chronicles.

We hope you’re as excited as we are about this upcoming release! Be sure to check out this month’s coverage in Qore and keep an eye out for even more information on this incredible RPG in the coming weeks!"

Source: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/...bruary-2-2010/
Old 2009-12-04, 16:43   Link #205
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Ooh, smart. Released 1 week earlier than SO4 International, to steal its thunder.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 19:07   Link #206
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Holy crap! WHEN WHEN WHEN!?
Old 2009-12-04, 21:17   Link #207
MushroomSamba
Mad Scientist

I remember really looking forward to this back when it was about to be released in Japan. But then it got released and it all went downhill from there. Didn't this game bomb big time over there?

MushroomSamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 23:24   Link #208
DeotoxSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushroomSamba View Post
I remember really looking forward to this back when it was about to be released in Japan. But then it got released and it all went downhill from there. Didn't this game bomb big time over there?
If by bomb you mean being the highest selling JRPG on the PS3 so far then yes.

Anyways I can't wait for the release this is going to be awesome, gotta save up my christmas money.
Old 2009-12-05, 01:13   Link #209
MushroomSamba
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeotoxSlayer View Post
If by bomb you mean being the highest selling JRPG on the PS3 so far then yes.

Anyways I can't wait for the release this is going to be awesome, gotta save up my christmas money.
So I was a tad off then? What the hell, I thought I heard this game did poorly overseas. Whatever, back on the radar it goes, I guess.

MushroomSamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-05, 01:26   Link #210
Shadow Kira01

That sounds nice..

It seems that this is actually getting released before SO4, even though it wasn't even mentioned before. Either way, I am getting it..
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 19:50   Link #211
Shadow Kira01

Will the figure and costume for Playstation Home be available in the International Edition?
Old 2009-12-14, 21:24   Link #212
DeotoxSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Kira01 View Post
Will the figure and costume for Playstation Home be available in the International Edition?
Theres a costume for playstation home o.O

Is it a white Knight costume because that would be funny.
Old 2009-12-15, 08:20   Link #213
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushroomSamba View Post
It did well in terms of sales mostly because there was NOTHING ELSE available on PS3 of that kind.

However, as a JRPG it's not that great of a game. Technically poor, it gets boring amazingly fast, the story is the usual bunch of cliches and characters aren't that memorable either. The ending was also pretty lame IMHO. And also single player is stupid easy save for a few moments that I won't spoil. The only good thing is the online mode (where you actually have a fair bit of challenge as well) where you play with other people. But that's it and if you're planning to play this game for single player chances are you might end up disappointed.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-15, 16:04   Link #214
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeotoxSlayer View Post
Theres a costume for playstation home o.O

Is it a white Knight costume because that would be funny.
White Knight Chronicles items for Home coming to NA

I just discovered that it is confirmed awhile back..

Generally, there is a costume you can wear while walking around and also a figure that looks more like a statue. However, I really don't think anybody will actually wear it..
Old 2009-12-16, 00:10   Link #215
DeotoxSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Kira01 View Post
White Knight Chronicles items for Home coming to NA

I just discovered that it is confirmed awhile back..

Generally, there is a costume you can wear while walking around and also a figure that looks more like a statue. However, I really don't think anybody will actually wear it..
I would wear it it'd definetly creep out my friends.
Old 2010-02-09, 15:33   Link #216
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Urgh... battle system is so stupid.

At least for story campaign purposes, combos are stupid for Leonard. Every action chip you use could've been better used for the 'I Win' button, Transform. I even go so far not training him with magic so I can use his MP pool for more action chips to transform sooner; its just that unbalanced. >_<

Next is that you have so many attacks, but they're pretty much the same. Only difference is that they count as separate entities, which is important because you can't use the same move twice in a combo. Really, REALLY bland.

Magic is powerful... in fact, I'd say they outdps anything outside of Transform. That said, every spell but the first one is way too many intensive, meaning that the best spells are in fact the basic ones. And with the smart people behind the battle system, they made your MP regen based on your level rather than your mp levels, which means your mp regen outside of battle is patethic.

Sure, you can regen it in battle by changing action chips for MP via a staff skill, but the downtime still is way too much.

AI also is stupid. You cannot make it take advantage of weaknesses despite scanning the enemy. For example, despite me equipping Icebolt, my mage still insists on using fireball against a fire giant. So if I take my control off him for just a sec (and I need to, since the Threaten skill of my tank will never go off unless I manually do it), he starts spewing garbage spells.

So yeah, that was like the worst case of a battle system I've played in recent memory. It's slow, clunky, and pretty much boils down to spamming one attack over and over because the others are either too mana intensive (they don't scale properly in relation to their cost) or are limited by action chips which is better used elsewhere.

It's so bad in fact that I'm actually playing WKC for its story, and believe me, its pretty much crap as well. The only thing that kept me going was my shipping tendencies, but even then it wasn't enough after I saw this...

Spoiler for mid-game spoiler:

Yeah, so eyeroll worthy. Bah, I'm done with this piece of garbage until WKC 2, and only really then to see if they made any improvements at all. >_<

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-09, 17:18   Link #217
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

what annoyes me about the game is the lack of action from your character. like when Yulie gets attacked from behind in the start, ur char is just like <_> durrrr and the old guy saves her.

hell and atleast put it some interactiong between ur character and a opposite gender character. since the Princess is definaly the MC's Love interest.
Old 2010-02-10, 02:35   Link #218
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
what annoyes me about the game is the lack of action from your character. like when Yulie gets attacked from behind in the start, ur char is just like <_> durrrr and the old guy saves her.

hell and atleast put it some interactiong between ur character and a opposite gender character. since the Princess is definaly the MC's Love interest.
I have to say that is one of the things that stood out to me the most. Your character really feels like he's almost not there. I was waiting for him to do something when Yulie was about to get taken down. Thought "oh this could be a nice moment" then the old guy shows up. Was my character just planning on standing there the entire time with that stupid expression? But really no one seems to acknowledge the avatar's existence except the first 10 minutes of the game. I'm surprised no one said anything about letting this silent creepy person follow along.

I'd settle for interactions with anyone in the party. But yeah I think interacting with an opposite gender character would have made it more interesting. Pretty damn clear who Leonard is completely focused on, might as well create some interesting situations within the party itself.

I'm a bit mixed on the battle system. Wish you had more variety in the non-AP attack skills. Since I'd rather save them up to spend in one massive epic combo. Now honestly I think the long combos are fun when you are able to chain them together. Still was alright with the speed since it was like turn base battles. Though maybe they would have been better just making it a more clear turn base style since really while you can move around you have to wait a good amount of time before you can attack again.

Some nice things like making the towns and the online quests have been fairly fun. Though you do get some odd people out there at times.

Really hoping they take care of the more pressing issues when it comes to the sequel. The main things I'd hope for is making the avatar more relevant and feel like the avatar is part of the group. They definitely have to do something with that battle system. I think there is hope for it to really improve, but they have to try and do it right.
Old 2010-02-10, 12:04   Link #219
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

atleast the Avatar talks in combat like when u get healed "I owe you one" and my fav when Yulie gets low on health "YULIE!"

lol this doesnt stop me from imagining stuff tho :P
Old 2010-02-14, 01:47   Link #220
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

WOOOO! the Avatar gets a Knight in WKC2, I pray it looks like a Lion knight mech or something animalish.

hmmm idk if he was staring at me(avatar) Kara who wasnt there. but if he was, hint for Avatar's Knight in #2

Last edited by Kyero Fox; 2010-02-14 at 14:17.
Kyero Fox is offline   Reply With Quote