AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Log Horizon

Notices

Old 2014-01-30, 11:43   Link #1961
Breimoon

the smallest guilds as you can see in the anime too are just support guilds and help out novices.
Breimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-30, 12:25   Link #1962
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breimoon View Post
the smallest guilds as you can see in the anime too are just support guilds and help out novices.
and indie players with no guild
Old 2014-01-30, 23:40   Link #1963
XFire
150% done

Well, for one the Round Table isn't actually a governing body. It lays down basic rules that more or less everyone agrees with, and enforces them. But outside of that, they don't interfere with the autonomy of the guilds at all.
Old 2014-01-31, 00:35   Link #1964
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
Well, for one the Round Table isn't actually a governing body. It lays down basic rules that more or less everyone agrees with, and enforces them. But outside of that, they don't interfere with the autonomy of the guilds at all.
if that isn't a governing body, then what is it?
Old 2014-01-31, 09:57   Link #1965
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
if that isn't a governing body, then what is it?
An advisory body. It can't issue commands beyond that, and can't prevent the adventurers from doing whatever they like outside of Akiba.
Old 2014-01-31, 12:14   Link #1966
J4n1

Council is a governing body, but it governs the city of Akiba, not the adventurers of Akiba.

Laws are few, and very unrestrictive (kidnap or rape people, and don't kill low level people), and as long as people don't actively disrupt things they are free to do pretty much anything they want, and except maybe in the most extreme cases, the worst punishment is having to hanging onto your stuff instead of using bank (and even then you could just buy a small building and store your stuff there while keeping it locked from anyone not you).
J4n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-31, 13:17   Link #1967
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
An advisory body. It can't issue commands beyond that, and can't prevent the adventurers from doing whatever they like outside of Akiba.
neither can the US govt stop people form going over sea for Sex tourism. but once they got back tot he US they were charge with sex crimes.

I am pretty sure if the RT found out someone in the city was engaging in rape and murder outside in Akiba they would exile this guy form Akiba and probably kill him hundred times over.
Old 2014-02-01, 05:25   Link #1968
Blanchimont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
I am pretty sure if the RT found out someone in the city was engaging in rape and murder outside in Akiba they would exile this guy form Akiba and probably kill him hundred times over.
Would that work? Kill him enough times he forgets he's a criminal...
Blanchimont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-01, 07:23   Link #1969
Naole

Akiba's administration by the Round Table can not by any stretch of the Imagination be considered a Political Democracy; for the simple fact that neither the Round Table guilds or their Leaders were elected.

That being said political Democracy does not in itself guarantee freedom (case in point; The US was a political Democracy that legalized Slavery, and untill the 70's had unfair racial laws). Thus Just & Fair Laws that respect Universal Human Rights can secure freedoms enshrined in Universal Human Rights.

The Akiba Round Table agreed to Universal Human Rights for Adventurers and Landers, and that's the principle difference with Plant Hwyaden; The freedom to Create, join or leave a Guild and The freedom of movement, association and expression

As I see it The Akiba Round Table enforces Universal Human Rights and leaves the rest to Guilds or the individual.

Last edited by Naole; 2014-02-01 at 07:55.
Naole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-01, 10:26   Link #1970
Jinggo

Baka tsuki is starting to translate kanami story
(just finish reading until chapter 3 , u guys right...kanami is so adorable xD )
Jinggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-01, 12:31   Link #1971
tsunade666

BT is not a translating group -_- its a site where translation can be post or hosted.

And if I remember it right from DQueen. The actual translation is being done in different link while if its finished then it will be copy paste on BT.

Btw what is the link for it again? I haven't save the link and haven't tread to relocate the link in the tread. Not sure on how many pages its been buried.
Old 2014-02-01, 12:33   Link #1972
DQueenie13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
BT is not a translating group -_- its a site where translation can be post or hosted.

And if I remember it right from DQueen. The actual translation is being done in different link while if its finished then it will be copy paste on BT.

Btw what is the link for it again? I haven't save the link and haven't tread to relocate the link in the tread. Not sure on how many pages its been buried.
This is the pastebin, but the actual Google Doc translation is somewhere else and I don't feel like digging for it at the moment.
Old 2014-02-01, 13:23   Link #1973
RDNexus

And actually it was only the Prologue and the three parts of Chapter01 (of 9 released online so far) that have been translated so far, I've just gone to Mamare's site and confirmed it.
But I actually enjoyed it and Kanami is as cutely crazy-minded as it's been mentioned here, I hope the following chapters get translated as soon as possible.

I also went and read the whole topic from page01, which was quite a pain in the ass, but the intel and spoilers I got to read along the way kind of compensed me that pain.

Most surely, since I'm busy writing my own original novel, I may only try to read the Novels from Volume06 onwards, since (as far as I know) the Anime has been adapting the Novels quite nicely. If I'm wrong, I'm open to read the worths of reading it all from Chapter01.
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-01, 15:33   Link #1974
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Just got my copy of volume 7 with the drama CD woot woot!
gonna listen to it later on
Old 2014-02-01, 15:36   Link #1975
DQueenie13

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Just got my copy of volume 7 with the drama CD woot woot!
gonna listen to it later on
Please give a summary later~~ (I've been dying to hear about its contents ... because all pixiv is telling me is that it REALLY pushed the tsundere Isaac image and boosted the popularity of the Krusty/Isaac ship.)
Old 2014-02-01, 16:21   Link #1976
Rendius

I came for Log Horizon, I'm staying for the discussion.

I feel that there are three important distinctions that separate Plant Hwyaden and the Round Table Council as governing bodies. Both PH and the RTC represent all of the adventurers in their respective cities, but I think it's disingenuous to claim that there are no significant differences between both "countries".

1. Proportional Representation

PH's government is a caste system with a single political party, where adventurers are forced to join but cannot have any influence on the party's policies unless (s)he is privileged enough to know someone on the central executive committee. There are some real world countries that operate like this. Shiroe notes that there are advantages to a single party working towards common goals, with departments dedicated to single purposes.

The RTC operates similarly to a collation government where twelve parties (well, eleven) must achieve consensus to enact policies. Adventurers can choose (not) to be affiliated with any of the twelve parties, and can voice their concerns to their RTC representative. What's important here is that the larger parties have the same level of representation as the smaller parties; the larger parties cannot easily use their size to bully the smaller parties to vote their way. This also means that it can be hard to get constituents to agree.

It doesn't matter that both PH and the RTC were founded without an election. There are few examples in history where a country peacefully voted itself into existence; countries tend to become democratic after they've been established, and not before.

2. Domestic and Foreign Policy

The RTC has laws that it enforces on its citizens, as does PH; but when Shiroe compares Akiba to PH, he notes that the council provides full disclosure about what it discusses when the council is in session. People outside of PH's executive committee receive information on a need-to-know basis, in controlled conditions.

RTC formed an alliance with the East, PH effectively absorbed the West; that should already tell you what you need to know about their foreign policy. Also, unlike PH, the RTC does not discourage negotiation and trade between individual guilds and the Landers (almost like a free market), but it will intervene when it believes that Akiba's interests will be affected as a whole.

3. Law Enforcement

This arguably is the most important distinction between PH and the RTC. Imagine if you were an Akiba adventurer or a Minami adventurer who suddenly decided to play "sovereign tactics" because you don't think that any of their policies should apply to you.

If you do not like the way the RTC operates, if your values do not align with any one of the representatives on the council, or if you disagree with any of the laws created by the council, if all of the guilds no longer interest you, and you want to say that none of the laws and policies should apply to you, then at worst, your assets will be frozen when you are banned from the Guild Building. The state will not incarcerate you or execute you.

Contrasting with PH, if you do any of the above things, dissenting with the supreme party or causing civil disobedience, you will be executed and unable to resurrect at the cathedral. No one knows what happens to you; this instills a culture of fear upon the populace.
Rendius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-01, 20:40   Link #1977
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Started reading the kanami side story and darn does Mamare really like to use Western references in this series. First, Krusty the Clown and now Leonardo from TMNT. LOL. That slow build up to revealing the joke reference really made me chuckle. xD

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-02, 04:53   Link #1978
Breimoon

are there any news about the classes suggestion project of mamare?
Breimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-02, 07:35   Link #1979
Aggelos
The one whom passes by

The 10th is when the submission closes isn't it?
We will most likely not hear anything til sometime after... 2 weeks to a month?
(Wishful thinking on my part)
Aggelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-02, 12:30   Link #1980
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Tags
alternate reality, database, economics, political theory, spoilers