AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2007-06-24, 22:18   Link #81
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I actually noticed that with Oswald, it looks (very briefly) like he moves his hand to switch the sword over to the other hand. Sprite mirroring is common, but it does seem as if they included an animation to show the character moving the weapon over. I wouldn't be surprised if this happened with the other characters as well (excluding Velvet).
I noticed this independently of you guys with Cornelius. I pressed R1 to charge/suck souls and Cornelius does it with his right. If I pressed left and R1 in consecutively, quickly, the sword shifts to his left hand.

The animation isn't really the sword moving to the left hand but rather right hand -> keep to center animation, and center -> extend to left hand animation.

Probably mirroring still.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-30, 02:25   Link #82
Tommy
Mr. Prince

I'm on Velvets quest right now and she sucks soooo much. It's especially bad coming off of Oswald's strory because he's the strongest.

My longest playtime for a character so far is Gwendolyn at 8 hours and 50 minutes and my shortest is Oswalds at 4 hours.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-30, 03:34   Link #83
problemedchild
ô_ô

I can't seem to find this game T_T

Damn retail and lack of stock.
problemedchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-30, 22:17   Link #84
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Beldor and Belial are pissing me off so much right now. Damnit I hate velvet. /rant.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-01, 20:30   Link #85
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
Beldor and Belial are pissing me off so much right now. Damnit I hate velvet. /rant.
These days I only play this game once a week, but I just reached this point today: I feel your pain! I tried it a few times before just returning "home" and powering up the psypher a bit. I originally tried with a psypher level of 29 and a health level of 27; now I'm at 32 and 30. I also loaded up on a few Elixers and Healing potions. Should go more easily now.

It's really the lag that gets annoying. Any tips for what happens when the random armor/swords start dropping down? I've been hit by one of those things four times due to the lag, and at ~33 damage each time that starts to hurt. I've found that you can clear all of the debris pretty well by using Velvet's charge shot... but you have to time it carefully, or you'll likely catch a fireball from Beldor. Terrible, terrible.

I initially started out going after Belial, but it seems that Beldor can heal him. In theory it'd be possible to keep Beldor away, but you'd really need to stay on Belial pretty hard. I figure it's better to just go after Beldor first, but the random armor rain really gets annoying.
Old 2007-07-01, 20:49   Link #86
Kazu
Flowing

I beat them,but it took forever, so then I tallied on this piece of paper how many times I lost,I even lost to them in easy mode,and for some reason,it looks like velvet is stronger than some characters in the beginning,y'know what I mean?
Old 2007-07-03, 10:41   Link #87
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Velvet is actually a lot easier for me compare to character like Oswald.

She got long reach especially with her final combo move so use that to your advantage. She is also one of the most mobile character with her chain swing, while you are swinging, you are also invincible so make full use of that in boss fights.

By now you should have memorized the monsters' attack pattern so time you combo since she is also slow in executing her move and be prepare to break early.

Might be me but i do find her cyclone a lot more powerful than the rest, might be because i m powering her psypher quite exclusively. It's easy to swing out, cyclone and clean up the survivors with her.
Old 2007-07-05, 22:49   Link #88
Ledgem
Love Yourself

True, the cyclone + charged chain is pretty good. I ended up taking out Belial before Beldor. Once Belial had low health, he seemed to do less armor rain and more lunging and trying to get you in his mouth. Pretty easily avoided.

I've finished with Velvet, but now I have a question:

Spoiler for After Velvet...:
Old 2007-07-06, 01:22   Link #89
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Spoiler for After Velvet...:
Spoiler:
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-06, 18:18   Link #90
Js2756
Thread Killer

In terms of what characters are the best, it partially depends on playing style. However, if I were to rank the characters in terms of ease of use (from easiest to hardest), I'd probably rank them:
1) Gwendolyn
2) Oswald
3) Cornelius
4) Velvet
5) Mercedes

Mercedes is by far the hardest because she is the most different. She is a natural air born fighter, but that drift when you want her to stop takes time to get used to. She also has to land to reload, and her best attack is at point blank range despite being a predominantly ranged fighter (this is her best because it pierces, then homes back on the target for double damage).

Velvet is next due to the fact that she has issues going toe to toe with pretty much anything. Her most effective non-magic attack is actually in the air due to the huge lag on her last hit of her ground chain (both the circle swing or her forward chain). Her charge chain is cool, but uses a lot of POW.

Cornelius would be easier than Oswald if he didn't move so fast when executing his aerial down attack (sword spin). It's essential to use this though, because it is hard for stuff to penetrate and allows him to gain height he couldn't normally achieve (especially useful against Belial to get behind him).

The only difficulty with Oswald is managing his transformation so that you don't dizzy yourself. He'd be as easy as Gwendolyn if her flight didn't make it so easy to get breathing room. As the first character, Gwen is just really easy to use, and there aren't a lot of tricky things you need to learn to make good use of her.
Old 2007-07-06, 18:23   Link #91
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Mercedes took the most getting used to, but I don't think she's the hardest to use. Isn't the the second most powerful character, too? The real challenge is just in timing the reloads. Also, the homing doesn't have to be fired at point blank in order to hit twice (although I'd imagine that it greatly increases the chances of that happening).

Velvet is the overall weakest. It takes time to get used to the distance she requires to fight properly. Similarly, Oswald requires a lot of getting used to, because his final strikes are generally annoying and move your position. Shadow form is only really useful with Unlimited Power potions, and even then, you need to watch the gauge.

I don't really know that any one character was harder to use overall than others. It's always a matter of getting used to their specific nuances and all. I will say that Gwendolyn, while being very straight-forward, feels much less responsive than the other characters when moving around (Cornelius seems to be most responsive). Just my opinion, though; once you get used to any character, you're set.
Old 2007-07-07, 18:03   Link #92
Js2756
Thread Killer

Quote:
Mercedes took the most getting used to, but I don't think she's the hardest to use. Isn't the the second most powerful character, too? The real challenge is just in timing the reloads. Also, the homing doesn't have to be fired at point blank in order to hit twice (although I'd imagine that it greatly increases the chances of that happening).

Velvet is the overall weakest. It takes time to get used to the distance she requires to fight properly. Similarly, Oswald requires a lot of getting used to, because his final strikes are generally annoying and move your position. Shadow form is only really useful with Unlimited Power potions, and even then, you need to watch the gauge.

I don't really know that any one character was harder to use overall than others. It's always a matter of getting used to their specific nuances and all. I will say that Gwendolyn, while being very straight-forward, feels much less responsive than the other characters when moving around (Cornelius seems to be most responsive). Just my opinion, though; once you get used to any character, you're set.
Problems with Mercedes is that you still need to be close to effective use the charge shot. She also never criticals, so you lose a lot of damage potential (and Oswald's and Mercedes' multi-hit criticals do bucket loads of damage). She is also the slowest character (her flight is nowhere near as fast as the other characters' run). You really have to think with her ie. when to move in, when to shoot from a distance, when to reload, etc.

The thing with Gwen is that she is very simple and straightforward. You do damage by hack and slash, and that's simple to understand, simple to execute. Her moveset is simple, and rarely repositions you.

As far as the controls go, they could be a bit tighter and more responsive in general. I'm used to 2D fighters, so it just seems a bit laggier than what I'm used to.

My list isn't really who is best, since I don't think that Gwen is, probably Oswald due to his damage and high HP.
Old 2007-07-19, 19:17   Link #93
problemedchild
ô_ô

Has anyone tried running this game on a PS3? Does it get rid of the slow downs?
problemedchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-24, 22:27   Link #94
Slayerx

Well i finally got around to buying and playing Odin sphere, and god damn is it a beautiful game. I'm in the middle of Mercedes' story right now. So far there is only one slight dissappointment. The way the game is structured, you have the same setting but 5 different stories, kinda like 5 alternate realities. Events that occur in one storyline do not occur in others. It's a bit of a disappointment because when i started playing and noticed the story timeline thing they got (where you can replay cutscenes) i thought it was going to be ONE story that was to be told from 5 different point's of view. I always found that concept to be more interesting. You hear about many events going on but it's not until you play the other points of view do you see those events, and it's only after playing all 5 characters do you see the FULL story of the game and have all the questions answered (they kinda do that, since certain events always happen, such as Hindel's fate, but still, overall, they are 5 alternate storylines instead of poits of view)

Still that's more of a pet peeve for me, overall the game is great. Love the art, love the music (can't wait for OST... anyone have an idea if that's coming out), and i like the gameplay.
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-03, 13:44   Link #95
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Maids! Maids! Maids! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-03, 16:19   Link #96
bigdave
Falling for Ginsama ^3^
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to bigdave
Maids>> I think the fourth to last one is a repeat ^^;

Nice finds as always. That first one is just Gold

anyways Im stuck in the final chapter of Velvets story, I know I will eventually beat it but its just so annoying cuz of those guys with the axe don't flinch to most of velvets attacks. the only thing they even flinch at is the chain shot.

and I at the part where its just enemy after enemy, the highest amount of stars level. T,T

and I only have a few items to deal with huge amounts of enemies. =/

bigdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-04, 20:08   Link #97
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
The way the game is structured, you have the same setting but 5 different stories, kinda like 5 alternate realities. Events that occur in one storyline do not occur in others. It's a bit of a disappointment because when i started playing and noticed the story timeline thing they got (where you can replay cutscenes) i thought it was going to be ONE story that was to be told from 5 different point's of view. I always found that concept to be more interesting. You hear about many events going on but it's not until you play the other points of view do you see those events, and it's only after playing all 5 characters do you see the FULL story of the game and have all the questions answered (they kinda do that, since certain events always happen, such as Hindel's fate, but still, overall, they are 5 alternate storylines instead of poits of view)
It's actually as you wanted it. They're not five alternate realities, but a progression as seen from different points of view. When you go to that "watch cutscenes" (or whatever the option is called) and you see all five books, and the different boxes - the boxes are placed in a timeline. So some characters (I think Mercedes is the big one) have gaps in the timeline, during which other events occur with other characters. And, of course, any sequence where you'd fight character A as a boss with character B will be a blank in the time period when you play as character A.

You fight Hindel X number of times not because it's an alteranate reality, but because Hindel is one angry dragon and likes to get a beat-down. Same for the Queen of the Netherworld, etc. Beating those bosses usually doesn't kill them - if they're killed, you won't be fighting them with another character unless you're fighting them in the timeline before they're killed.

I think the fact that there are seemingly random gaps in the sequence of events makes it a bit confusing, to realize that everything is actually taking place along the same timeline.
Old 2007-08-09, 04:42   Link #98
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

@Maids!:
1st pic, 2nd row is actually Lujei from Grim Grimoire. ^^;
Otherwise, GREAT! I'd rep you for this (and a plethora of other things as well) but I never get around to spreading rep much. xD

After playing as Mercedes, playing Oswald can be such a pain. >.> I miss Mercedes's safety.
Oswald's final hits can be a real pain. *does a 4th hit by mistake on epilogue boss* OH SHI-!! *dies*

Reloads for Mercedes aren't really a problem. Phozon release and then draw and you're all set. Also I find her normal shots more powerful than her charged shot, since those can deal 300 per hit and spammable! IIRC, she can take about 1/3rd HP from a single clip of ammo. Of course, I'm always at lowest possible health and wearing Adversity Ring. xD
celcius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-09, 14:49   Link #99
Slayerx

Quote:
I think the fact that there are seemingly random gaps in the sequence of events makes it a bit confusing, to realize that everything is actually taking place along the same timeline.
Actually, now that i've been playing through the game more i've been seeing where i went wrong and got a bit confused... For instance their is that part you mentioned "And, of course, any sequence where you'd fight character A as a boss with character B will be a blank in the time period when you play as character A." this had not occured to me that that game would not reshow these events during character A's storyline, so that threw me off a bit.

Another thing was misreading the course of events, such as thinking event A occured before event C but it was actually vice-a-versa; i think i messed up tracking how that ring was being passed around for one thing.

Another big thing was that when i made that post, it was midway through Mercede's, after Oswald "died", but before it was revealed to still be alive; not to mention i had thought Mercedes killed the dragon Belial, not just KO'd (since made that post right before the fight aginast Beldor, where i realized that Belial was still alive)

So ya, i'm starting to see everything fall into place as it should and likeing it all the more

Quote:
Originally Posted by celcius
After playing as Mercedes, playing Oswald can be such a pain. >.> I miss Mercedes's safety.
Oh ya, i'm getting the same feeling... At first i dispised Mercedes because i would so often miss hitting the enemy by shooting right below or above them, and early on i felt i was doing very low damage and not being able to kill things as fast as i used to... but as i leveled up i built up in power, i killed things just as fast and began to appreciate Mercede's ability to stay out of danger; Hell i ended building up so well in level's that i destoryed bosses with much ease... and now with Oswald, i'm once again right in the fray... its especially annoying since it can take just a very small amount of damage to ruin an S-rank... another thing about Oswald is that i'm disppointed in the use of Unlimited Pow is not as effective as i had hoped, however, the short additional time the potion adds to the shadow form can be enough to do some serious damage to the enemy before wearing off.

I think the games later boss are getting easier and easier for me... i think it's because my leveling is getting more and more efficent... making good use of hoarding and the Pooka kitchen, i can gain serious HP levels with very little need of phozons (to grow seeds); and the less phozons i waste on seeds the more i use to bring up my phozon level, which adds to attack power and makes bosses easier.
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-09, 18:30   Link #100
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx
I think the games later boss are getting easier and easier for me... i think it's because my leveling is getting more and more efficent... making good use of hoarding and the Pooka kitchen, i can gain serious HP levels with very little need of phozons (to grow seeds); and the less phozons i waste on seeds the more i use to bring up my phozon level, which adds to attack power and makes bosses easier.
So true~ I'm at Velvet's 3rd act and I'm quite happy how my game is pregressing. Unlike before, I used to just make potions and ended up storing them in my bags for all eternity. Now I just create a bunch of 9x potions and rake in the phozons. Got Velvet to a sweet 21/2 by the end of ch.2 without revisiting stages. xD It's quite a good thing for Velvet since she can just hold square and everything half a map away dies in one hit. xD
And the boss patterns are quite easy to read now after fighting them oh so many times. About the only boss I still loathe would be Belial, ugh.

EDIT: Okay. Before when I was first playing the game, I thought that the 4th hit would become a crit by timing the button presses. Before I set out on figuring out the timing, I first checked gamefaqs. I read that it was a chance.
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm761292
So then, could someone tell me if this is real or hacked? That Gwen play had crits for ALL 4th hits, regardless of air.4th hit ot ground.4th hit. o.o

Last edited by celcius; 2007-08-09 at 19:17.
celcius is offline   Reply With Quote