AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2015-03-24, 00:44   Link #181
Alastoryagami

There are many factors when grading an anime's quality. Character design and animation is one of those factors. It's also the only real factor until we see more than just a promotional video. So when an anime has designs that turn you off it will factor into hurting the overall experience. Another problem is that there is nothing deep or profound about Vivid in the first place and it's mostly fanservice and a tournament arc. The fanservice heavily relies on the quality of character designs and the tournament relies heavily on the animation. If both are a bust Vivid watchers are going to be in for a rocky ride.
Alastoryagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-24, 12:38   Link #182
FlamingMangos

I don't get how a character design can ruin your overall experience. It still makes no sense whatsoever. I just never seen anyone talk about an art style ruining their overall experience or seen it in reviews nor has it affected me badly in any way in my entire life. Its not a picture here and the art style for Vivid isn't even bad at all. You say that it relies on the quality of character designs but has there ever a bad character design for any fanservice show? Please name me one show. This one isn't bad at all. Theres no such thing as bad character design. They're unique in their own way..

Last edited by FlamingMangos; 2015-03-24 at 12:54.
FlamingMangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-24, 15:36   Link #183
APNki

APNki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-24, 17:51   Link #184
Alastoryagami

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingMangos View Post
I don't get how a character design can ruin your overall experience. It still makes no sense whatsoever. I just never seen anyone talk about an art style ruining their overall experience or seen it in reviews nor has it affected me badly in any way in my entire life. Its not a picture here and the art style for Vivid isn't even bad at all. You say that it relies on the quality of character designs but has there ever a bad character design for any fanservice show? Please name me one show. This one isn't bad at all. Theres no such thing as bad character design. They're unique in their own way..
Not everyone is the same but series such as K-ON for me were at least partly ruined by the character designs. I have a harder time coming up with fanservice series with good character designs. They're mostly generic because they don't need to try very hard to pander to their intended audience. Also "bad" is subjective, I am more inclined to call character designs generic. That is how I feel about Nanoha Vivids design.

There is such a thing as bad character design, how could their not be. I could draw a stick figure and animate it, would you approve of it? Anime is a form of art, the quality of the designs matter. They don't exclusively matter, but they do matter. Especially for series that rely heavily on eye candy.

Let's compare images.

The most recent Nanoha art

Past Nanoha art:

In the first image, Nanoha doesn't even look like an adult, she's more akin to Vivio's sister. She lacks curves and her eyes are taking up a lot of room on her face even for Nanoha design standards. Meanwhile, Vivio looks seven kinds of derpy. Their chins also look more like a pointed object than an actual chin.

The second image. Look at those curves! That ass, those hips, that bust. Truly a titillating image. The faces are also very cute and well proportioned.

One is good art, the other is generic art. I understand that while both images are official, they're not the exact character designs used in the anime. But it is a compare and contrast between high quality art and average art.

Last edited by Alastoryagami; 2015-03-24 at 19:33.
Old 2015-03-24, 18:07   Link #185
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Art style while not a deciding factor can be quite influential to how the audience perceive a show. I for example had always found the storylines of One Piece quite interesting but cannot into reading the manga because the art style is so very distracting to my eyes. It prevents me from fully enjoying the story. Doesn't mean it's a bad design, it's famous and lots of people enjoy it but it simply doesn't cut it for me.

ViVid design is not bad but it feels different. If that's good or bad I'll find out while watching it. Although my main beef is with the narrative and pacing. I hope thus anime keeps some of the Nanoha spirit and doesn't try to be another Kaleid Prisma Ilya (god I hate that series).

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-24, 23:52   Link #186
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastoryagami View Post
Let's compare images.
You do realize that using promotional art to compare the anime art style isn't really a good method of comparison, since most of the time the promotional artwork is much, much better than the anime's?

Yes, the selected promotional art for Vivid in this comparison is a bit simplistic compared to the selected StrikerS artstyle, however this is only indicative of the art between the promotional arts themselves, and not the anime.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-25, 00:01   Link #187
Alastoryagami

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
You do realize that using promotional art to compare the anime art style isn't really a good method of comparison, since most of the time the promotional artwork is much, much better than the anime's?

Yes, the selected promotional art for Vivid in this comparison is a bit simplistic compared to the selected StrikerS artstyle, however this is only indicative of the art between the promotional arts themselves, and not the anime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastoryagami
One is good art, the other is generic art. I understand that while both images are official, they're not the exact character designs used in the anime. But it is a compare and contrast between high quality art and average art.
I did mention that. The debate was character designs and animation matter, not which anime has better character designs and animation. That being said, it's not a good sign when the promotional art for Vivid has been inferior to StrikerS promotional art in every instance. StrikerS has had a few QUALITY promotional art but it's pretty uncommon. The Nanoha movie art has also been really good.

As far as the anime itself goes, Vivid may have more consistent animation because it's newer and has a bigger (Probably?) budget,but I still think the character designs are far weaker than A's/StrikerS. Nanoha has always had really good character designs, what they lacked was consistency while animating them.

Last edited by Alastoryagami; 2015-03-25 at 00:14.
Old 2015-03-25, 12:16   Link #188
FlamingMangos

Quote:

I did mention that. The debate was character designs and animation matter, not which anime has better character designs and animation. That being said, it's not a good sign when the promotional art for Vivid has been inferior to StrikerS promotional art in every instance. StrikerS has had a few QUALITY promotional art but it's pretty uncommon. The Nanoha movie art has also been really good.

As far as the anime itself goes, Vivid may have more consistent animation because it's newer and has a bigger (Probably?) budget,but I still think the character designs are far weaker than A's/StrikerS. Nanoha has always had really good character designs, what they lacked was consistency while animating them.

Wow, you guys are just proving my point even more. The art style is the only thing u guys are talking about. Also, I don't know why you keep saying that its a bad sign when the character design for Vivid is inferior like its a fact. Its clearly subjective and your own opinion. You can't possibly compare two art style because they have their own appeal and they're different. I still don't understand whats you guys mean by generic art....

Last edited by FlamingMangos; 2015-03-25 at 12:30.
FlamingMangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-25, 18:18   Link #189
Alastoryagami

Quote:
Wow, you guys are just proving my point even more. The art style is the only thing u guys are talking about. Also, I don't know why you keep saying that its a bad sign when the character design for Vivid is inferior like its a fact. Its clearly subjective and your own opinion. You can't possibly compare two art style because they have their own appeal and they're different. I still don't understand whats you guys mean by generic art....
The artstyle/Character designs is the only thing we can talk about. It's the only thing of relevance going by what we've seen so far from the anime. A bunch of still shots with a tiny bit of animation thrown in.

Warning, opinion alert below this line!

You can call it an opinion, but you asked what our problem is with the character designs, and we told you. Some people think K-ON designs are good, I personally think they're an abomination and are the reason a lot of modern anime have stooped to their level. I also think it's the reason Kyoani has went to crap over the past years. They were so much better back with Clannad and Kanon. Their most recent series aren't even a shadow of their former glory...And I feel the new art they use is part of the problem. Generic is when something is unoriginal to a large extent. Most artists have their own unique style, yet lately studios have been trying to mimic each other trying to make designs that sell. The Nanoha series has designs I couldn't find in any other series, yet Nanoha Vivid designs look like something PA staff or even Kyoani has done in the past.

Last edited by Alastoryagami; 2015-03-25 at 18:46.
Old 2015-03-25, 20:33   Link #190
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
In the first image, Nanoha doesn't even look like an adult, she's more akin to Vivio's sister. She lacks curves and her eyes are taking up a lot of room on her face even for Nanoha design standards. Meanwhile, Vivio looks seven kinds of derpy. Their chins also look more like a pointed object than an actual chin.
The Nanoha cast has always suffered from looking like kids heads planted on adult bodies since StrikerS. It's an artifact born from the attempt to keep the character designs while making the girls look like they grew up, but it ended up making them look out of place with the rest of the cast. The new style changed the overall design, which as a side effect means the trio looks less out of place.

Quote:
The second image. Look at those curves! That ass, those hips, that bust. Truly a titillating image. The faces are also very cute and well proportioned.
Well, yes. That's because the second image is going for sexy, while the first is going for cute. Of course the second is going to look more titillating.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-25, 23:33   Link #191
Alastoryagami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
The Nanoha cast has always suffered from looking like kids heads planted on adult bodies since StrikerS. It's an artifact born from the attempt to keep the character designs while making the girls look like they grew up, but it ended up making them look out of place with the rest of the cast. The new style changed the overall design, which as a side effect means the trio looks less out of place.
I don't agree with that. They looked good to me in StrikerS. They're only nineteen, they don't look "old" but they certainly don't look like children, either. Their facial structure is also quit a bit different if you compare their child selves with their adult selves. I'd need some kind of image reference for what you're referring to, because I don't remember that at all.

The new design does not make them look any older, and Vivid takes place four years after StrikerS. It just makes them look like entirely different people. Certainly not a good thing when you've becomes accustomed to characters looking a certain way for over ten years.

Quote:
Well, yes. That's because the second image is going for sexy, while the first is going for cute. Of course the second is going to look more titillating.
The second image is both cute and sexy to me. The first image is neither. Poorly drawn is the first word I came up with when I first saw it.
Old 2015-03-26, 03:16   Link #192
ramlaen

Quote:
Let's compare images.
The old art is the epitome of generic, have some tits and ass just don't mind the awful faces. Perfect for horny teenagers, which some of us were when Nanoha first aired.
ramlaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-26, 05:44   Link #193
Alastoryagami

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramlaen View Post
The old art is the epitome of generic, have some tits and ass just don't mind the awful faces. Perfect for horny teenagers, which some of us were when Nanoha first aired.
*snip*

Have you even watched the Nanoha series, or did you just come to troll? Or perhaps it's because you're salty that I remarked how I dislike Kyoani in its former state. Either way, I understand people exist who think K-ON is a work of art, but it's very disheartening that 7arcs is putting this series in the hands of A-1. They already made the characters look like completely different people. I suppose altering their personalities is what comes next.

With that out of the way...

You do realize Nanoha Vivid is more related to tits and ass than any other Nanoha series, right? The original series has a lot more than tits and ass going for it, and I can't really say the same thing about Nanoha Vivid. And here lies the problem. A-1 chose the moeblob route over the sex appeal route for a series that predominantly relies on fanservice. Quite frankly, I would be embarrassed to recommend Nanoha Vivid to someone in its current form. If it at least went the sex appeal route I could lure in the horny teenagers! Hey, they're people too.

Edit: Aw shit, I forgot about all the naked lolis. I guess that explains everything.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2015-03-26 at 23:29. Reason: You can reply to other members WITHOUT using insults (also review forum rule 1.2)
Old 2015-03-26, 22:55   Link #194
rladls2121

Too bad Yuuno might not going to appear much.
He could have been the highest possibility of becoming Vivio's father, and Nanoha's husband but...

Vivio's narration, it makes me laugh too much.
I guess I was too used to Nanoha's narration.
Now it is Vivio that finally earned her peaceful daily life since StirkerS, she gets to start her own story.

The casting voice was too obvious for me to hear.
rladls2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-26, 23:32   Link #195
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Let's move away from discussing the art style of the upcoming series since it seems to ruffle the feathers of some people the wrong way. When the series begins, art style discussion can resume in a calm and civil matter.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-27, 02:06   Link #196
ramlaen

I am curious how they will (re)introduce Ixy, given that the TV watching audience cannot be expected to have listened to SSX.
ramlaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-27, 03:54   Link #197
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
Let's move away from discussing the art style of the upcoming series since it seems to ruffle the feathers of some people the wrong way. When the series begins, art style discussion can resume in a calm and civil matter.
But this aside, I would also like to point out: this anime is an adaptation of the Nanoha ViVid manga, and the promotional art is doing its best to reflect the art style of the manga, which has a different character designer (and an overall "cuter look") than the original anime. There's no sense chastising the anime in particular for being truer to the source material in this case. Preferences are fine, but please adjust your expectations accordingly.
Old 2015-03-27, 09:44   Link #198
NiwaDaisuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by rladls2121 View Post
Too bad Yuuno might not going to appear much.
He could have been the highest possibility of becoming Vivio's father, and Nanoha's husband but...
Masaki Tsuzuki doesn't have the balls to take that role away from Fate.
NiwaDaisuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-27, 12:25   Link #199
b33g

BTW, something about signboards.

http://nanoha-vivid.tv/news/index.html#news34114
b33g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-27, 12:28   Link #200
Alastoryagami

Seems they're putting up signboards for Vivid up in Tokyo. Not uncommon for anime promotion.

Tags
nanoha