AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-10-05, 21:50   Link #1
Puddingman

Your Method On Reading Manga

Hey all! I'm a noob to manga, so I wanted to make a thread like this to compile people's methods to reading manga. This will be similar to my topic, 'Your opinion about watching anime' in the general anime thread.

To clarify further, it's sort of like a, "How do you listen to music?" topic but for manga.

I recently became interested in anime, and shortly following, manga. The first manga I read I think I tore through it, just reading the text and following the story. I didn't seem to get much out of it.

However, I start purchasing manga for some of my favorite anime series and I'm trying to take my time, slow down, enjoy the art along with the story. And I'm wondering, how does everyone approach reading manga? What do you focus on while reading? Do you read the manga before watching the anime or the other way around? What makes "a good manga"?
I wanna make sure I get the most out of each experience, especially since they can be so costly
I'd like to know your ideas to help guide me and others in pursuing our interests.
Old 2011-10-05, 22:59   Link #2
Xaturas

80% of the time manga contains more story/sex/graphical exposure and such. Most of the time manga also contain better flow of things and such.
Basically most animes are made on manga/novel/games and they tend to be cut out here and there.
So either watch anime first then read manga, or read manga and see how it did turn out into anime.
Old 2011-10-06, 05:46   Link #3
jdennis007

If you feel like you rushed through your fist series go back and read it again and see if you get more out of it.
As far as anime first or manga first, I normally prefer anime first so I am not disappointed in the anime.
Old 2011-10-06, 20:40   Link #4
Puddingman

Cool, thanks everyone! So far I like to see the anime before reading the manga. I like to have the anime as the background information or the base so I know what's going on better in the manga. Not sure how I'd feel about reading manga first. When you pick out a new manga how do you usually judge if you think you'd like it or not (assuming you didn't see the anime first)?
Old 2011-10-06, 21:31   Link #5
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Ideally, I like to read my manga in large chunks. Like several years worth of chapters (if it's a once-a-month syndication) in one sitting. I say ideally, because the reality is I usually find manga when it's been out for several years, catch up in a night or two, then find myself torn between reading the next chapter when it is released, or ignoring it for a year or two before returning to the story. The former usually wins out on the latter.

If there is a manga and anime, I try not to read/watch both. Knowing what's going to occur tends to take 80% of the enjoyment of reading/watching any particular story. If I do read/watch both, it's usually only because the anime covers only a portion of the story.

I don't think anyone can tell you how to tell if you're going to enjoy something. Other than the obvious. Did you enjoy what you just read/watched, or not?

My own personal tastes vary. But, if a story has some sci-fi element, adults, "mature" rating, etc, I'll tend to give it a shot. That doesn't mean I'm not a sucker for some Josei revolving around working women trying to juggle her professional career with finding love as well. As I said, my tastes vary.

Mangaupdates is a good place to start if you're looking for ideas as to what manga to try. It's a database of manga, and has lots of different tags you can use to filter through the database (or simply filter by genre), as well as user reviews, scoring, and even email updates for when a particular chapter may be available by a given group that is translating a given manga.
Also, cake.
Closed Thread