AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-01-15, 12:32   Link #61
samuraislack

I seriously hope that more people will discover this Kamichu. It's nice to be able to watch an anime and not have to worry about being confronted with anything "heavy" in the process.
samuraislack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-19, 07:42   Link #62
CompShrink
getting in comps' heads

Send a message via AIM to CompShrink
Quote:
I'm not sure which is crazier .... that the production team obviously scouted this town out and took all sorts of reference photos to use in their design (and matched it so closely) ....
or that some fan took the incredible time and pain to track the town down AND take all these comparison shots.
Not as ellaborate, but some people in ToTan did that for monster too, they were very realist, and the manga author went all the way to Germany and the Czech Republic to do research.

OT but I wish the Czech members of the group didn't decide to revert back to Czech language only subs, but at least other groups finished it.

Um, to be on topic, I appriciate iichan's work! ^_^
CompShrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-20, 22:53   Link #63
misakichii

i just finished watching to first 2 episode and it was okay. i didn't think it was all that.
misakichii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-20, 23:22   Link #64
molitar

I really having a hard time waiting for the next episode.. but since they are doing it to the dvd releases.. they have to wait for the dvd to be released.. It's more of a heart felt enjoyable show than most series out there it's nice to watch something a bit different once in a while.
molitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-21, 03:50   Link #65
mj_mjohnson
Anything but Cliche

Smile

I think getting the cultural references (or simply living in a small town for a bit) certainly helps to understand the full charm of Kamichu.

Now I wonder if I could get away with building a shrine near my house :-)
mj_mjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-23, 21:13   Link #66
PixyMisa
Cabbit Farmer

I've just started watching what we have of Kamichu again. It's just a beautiful series.

Need more Kamichu!
PixyMisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-23, 21:23   Link #67
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj_mjohnson
I think getting the cultural references (or simply living in a small town for a bit) certainly helps to understand the full charm of Kamichu.

Now I wonder if I could get away with building a shrine near my house :-)
There's a few Shinto mailing lists but they get a bit dry sometimes .... you could probably build a small shrine, but it would need to be some special place that "called to you"

In my case, I have a forest on my property and there a few trees that just seem "special"

Alternatively, you could roll in some large stones and create a bit of special place with the right landscaping, moss, wetness...

yeah.... a Kamichu fix would be nice .... but to divert myself, I finally acquired and read/watched the Azumanga books and series. That was about the nicest New Year's present I could imagine to myself outside of another Kamichu fix. Azumanga Daioh is just a lovely little series, more like Calvin & Hobbes than PPD (as some mistakenly claim, imo).
Old 2006-01-23, 22:03   Link #68
PixyMisa
Cabbit Farmer

I have the raws for episodes 7-12, so I could watch them, but my Japanese isn't remotely up to the task.
PixyMisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-26, 07:53   Link #69
nojay
Scanlator

Azumanga Daioh and Kamichu!

OK, who's who? Which AD character is which Kamichu! character?

Yurie = Chiyo-chan (but without the brains).
Mitsue = Yomi (megane-ko, natch and a study-bug).
Matsuri = Tomo (Mitsue's Nemesis).
Miko = Kaorin (this is a stretch, maybe).
Tama-chan = Maya.
Yurie's mother = Osaka (Space cadets together).

Any others?

BTW if you liked Azumanga Diaoh you might want to look for the Yotsuba&! mangas, by the same artist/writer, from ADV. Yotsuba is a green-haired Japanese version of Dennis the Menace, very funny.
nojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-26, 13:58   Link #70
RoRo_en_el_foro

Quote:
Originally Posted by misakichii
i just finished watching to first 2 episode and it was okay. i didn't think it was all that.
That's because you won't be stick on this series until episode 5, or maybe until the swimsuit episode.
RoRo_en_el_foro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-26, 14:47   Link #71
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Hmmm, I'm not fond of Dennis the Menace but I'll take a glance. I don't see much connection between AD and Kam but they are both interesting little stories about people (though AD is told in snippets and snapshots).

The appeal of Kamichu! (to me at least) is the gentle spirituality of the show, the care in character definition, the music, and the animation style and quality. In that sense, the "alien" episode was a little odd though nicely quirky in its political jabs.

I've only seen 5 episodes but so far it ranks as a very quiet 10/10 for me.
Old 2006-01-26, 20:36   Link #72
FarthingRedFox

Chica wants to know
when are you sub this episode
Spoiler for screenshots from an unsubbed episode:

Last edited by xris; 2006-01-27 at 06:20.
FarthingRedFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-26, 20:49   Link #73
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarthingRedFox
Chica wants to know
when are you sub this episode
Tell Chica to read this: Do NOT ask when the next episode will be released
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-26, 23:05   Link #74
h2o2shadow
[AR]

hmm, first, as C1's kamichu! tler, i have to apologize to everyone who have waited for this long. sorry about that <(_ _)>

actually, some personal stuff happened to me during the past month, so all my projects are like stalled

:x

sorry guys, well, anyway, i am back on my normal track so i promise i will catch up ASAP, and I AM NOT GOING TO DROP this show.

--- h2o2shadow
h2o2shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-28, 20:39   Link #75
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Frankly, just keeping us posted is fine. I'm just befuzzled at the stuff that gets licensed while this one idles in R2 land...

At least its a once a month situation so you're not umpteen episodes behind
Old 2006-01-28, 21:09   Link #76
deftoned
deftoned, M.A.

Send a message via AIM to deftoned Send a message via MSN to deftoned Send a message via Yahoo to deftoned
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2o2shadow
hmm, first, as C1's kamichu! tler, i have to apologize to everyone who have waited for this long. sorry about that <(_ _)>

actually, some personal stuff happened to me during the past month, so all my projects are like stalled

:x

sorry guys, well, anyway, i am back on my normal track so i promise i will catch up ASAP, and I AM NOT GOING TO DROP this show.

--- h2o2shadow
thanks for the update! i hope things are running smoother now and we all look forward to your work!
deftoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-31, 22:34   Link #77
mj_mjohnson
Anything but Cliche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
Frankly, just keeping us posted is fine. I'm just befuzzled at the stuff that gets licensed while this one idles in R2 land...

At least its a once a month situation so you're not umpteen episodes behind
I certainly agree. Some of my favorite recent shows still idle in unlicensed land (Kamichu, Mahoraba and Keroro Gunso come to mind...). Then again I tend to like more Japanese style humour and story.
mj_mjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-31, 23:00   Link #78
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj_mjohnson
I certainly agree. Some of my favorite recent shows still idle in unlicensed land (Kamichu, Mahoraba and Keroro Gunso come to mind...). Then again I tend to like more Japanese style humour and story.
I kind of know what happens... companies tend to go back to the well where they had luck before (ooooh, MORE pocket monsters!!!!) and ignore actual quality analysis of what might sell and can we create new audience. Shows like Mahoraba, Honey & Clover, Kamichu .... all have wide audience potential but someone has to have the vision to risk spending license money on it.
That said... if it were just a matter of subtitling series, I think we'd see a LOT more ... but the English voice dubs and the cost of that are major obstacles.

I kind of agree... I (and frankly everyone I know, kid or adult) who watches anime watch it for the "japanese flavor" as part of the entertainment package. Over-americanizing it (anyone remember ALL those bagels and donuts the Pokewhatzit kids ate?) is just a bunch of guys in suits not "getting it".
Old 2006-02-01, 17:10   Link #79
RoRo_en_el_foro

Anyone knows about the Director's comments audio track from the DVD version? Are those going to be subbed someday? I have just learned DVDs come with it and I'm really curious about that. Kamichu! is a series that wakes up your curiosity and investigation.
RoRo_en_el_foro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-01, 19:18   Link #80
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoRo_en_el_foro
Anyone knows about the Director's comments audio track from the DVD version? Are those going to be subbed someday? I have just learned DVDs come with it and I'm really curious about that. Kamichu! is a series that wakes up your curiosity and investigation.
Probably not, unless the subbers get _really_ bored. Subbing an entire 25 minute episode's worth of comments by the staff isn't a particularly easy job, especially since they will talk normally, instead of anime style.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slice of life