AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2017-01-12, 03:57   Link #1
alanwaston

Most Anticipated Films of 2017?

2017 is upon us, and with that, brings a whole new crop of films. And, while, presently, we're out of season, feasting mostly upon the final course of yesteryear, while films of lesser respects like Monster Trucks (a film that Paramount has already made a 125 million dollar write-off for) and the fifteenth Underworld (11% on Rotten Tomatoes!) and thirtieth Resident Evil film hit theaters, we have a lot to look forward to.

Last year, The Nice Guys was my favorite of the year. I mention this because it shows that a film can come outta nowhere. Most of the films on my Most Anticipated Films of 2017 list are mainstream blockbusters, mostly because I don't know the other films exist yet. This is just a beginning of the year perspective.

Question: What are the films you're most excited to see in 2017? Feel free to mention films that are, technically, 2016 films, just now hitting wide-expansion, haven't seen yet, or are waiting for the DVD release.

---

2016 Leftovers:
La La Land
A Monster Calls

2017:

Science-Fiction: - Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 & War of the Planet of the Apes

Horror: - Saw: Legacy & God Particle (They're saying Saw will be a reinvention, which is good. I like the concept of the films, but the story-line is overtly complicated and stupid. Either way, I feel like the best horrors I will see will be from the indies this year.)

Animation: - Captain Underpants? (Weak year for animation, hoping some more films are announced.)

Superhero: - Logan

Fantasy: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (Nobody seems to like the Pirate films. I like them. A fair bit, in-fact.)

Action: The Mummy (I want to see if Universal's new Monster Universe will suck or not) and The Dark Tower

Last edited by alanwaston; 2020-04-11 at 19:05.
alanwaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-12, 16:44   Link #2
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

The films of 2017 that look interesting to me so far:

-The Lego Batman Movie
-Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
-Spiderman: Homecoming
-Star Wars Episode 8
Old 2017-01-12, 19:22   Link #3
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwaston View Post
Fantasy: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (Nobody seems to like the Pirate films. I like them. A fair bit, in-fact.)
What? They're extremely popular.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-12, 23:19   Link #4
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

I like POTC. The last one lacked the old dynamic between Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom to be fair, so I expect this to be better than the last.

Speaking of upcoming movies, I'm waiting for Christopher Nolan's rendition of the Battle of Dunkirk since it's a chapter of WW2 that was never truly covered.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-13, 20:46   Link #5
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
Speaking of upcoming movies, I'm waiting for Christopher Nolan's rendition of the Battle of Dunkirk since it's a chapter of WW2 that was never truly covered.
I'm really curious to see what they do with this... and, as always, how accurate it is. I'm especially curious to see if they pull a Black Hawk Down and change the story dramatically to give the heart-throb actor they cast substantially more screen time than the character he's portraying realistically should have given his role in the historical event.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-14, 21:52   Link #6
sunset
Twilight Impersonator

- Wonder Woman
- Valerian
sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-14, 23:41   Link #7
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Wonder Woman
JL
GotG v.2
Marvel Spidey
Episode VIII
Thor Ragnarok (God help me, I actually like the Thor movies)
Kingsman II
Blade Runner 2049

Other movies I'll probably see, but am not necessarily anticipating include XXX3, John Wick 2, Logan, GitS, Fast 8, Guy Ritchie's King Arthur, Alien Covenant, Pirates, The Mummy, Transformers, and Valerian. I figure at least one of those will be better than several of the others... ^_^

Though right now, Zelda: Breath of the Wild has my full, undivided anticipation, though that's not really a movie per se...
Old 2017-05-06, 16:39   Link #8
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
I'm really curious to see what they do with this... and, as always, how accurate it is. I'm especially curious to see if they pull a Black Hawk Down and change the story dramatically to give the heart-throb actor they cast substantially more screen time than the character he's portraying realistically should have given his role in the historical event.
Since it's next to impossible to put names on actual people who were actually involved in the Evacuation of Dunkirk, I guess each of the main actors will embody an important faction who made the evacuation a success.

Tom Hardy looks to play the part as a Spitfire pilot from the undermanned RAF, but I also look forward to see Kenneth Branagh and Mark Rylance's performances representing the weakened Royal Navy and civilian sailors from all origins respectively. Otherwise, Nolan chose unknowns for the vast majority of the cast since accounts from soldiers who were in Dunkirk reported how young and inexperienced they were.

New trailer:

That ticking clock gets my blood pumping TBF.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote