AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-06-26, 18:56   Link #141
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Saimoe time already, huh? I wonder who else will be rushing this year. I'll make a separate post dedicated to that. Nominations aren't worth worrying about, so I'll just try to wake up again in time for the preliminaries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
I was wondering whether or not Tenshi is popular enough to attract hate votes. I was thinking that the haters would flock to more obvious targets, but maybe Tenshi will be a target as well.

She was already bullied enough in the show itself. ;_;

My favorite is Yui, though. Cute and quirky.

Yuri earned some (somewhat forced) points in the last episode, too.

No predictions; I'll just take this one round at a time.

The code generator link on the wiki is supposed to be erroring out right now.... right?
Old 2010-06-26, 22:21   Link #142
kamo

Quote:
The code generator link on the wiki is supposed to be erroring out right now.... right?
I think it's the wrong link, it should be http://ast2010.rgr.jp/code.cgi
Old 2010-06-26, 23:59   Link #143
Seishi
Kholdy's Slave

Send a message via AIM to Seishi Send a message via MSN to Seishi Send a message via Yahoo to Seishi
Okay, I had a good chuckle when I saw "rage" in the thread tags...

We've finished a draft translation of the pre-nom list which should be available soon once the final edits go through; much thanks to chaosprophet for all his hard work with the project.
Old 2010-06-27, 00:07   Link #144
chaosprophet

List of series and the nomination days for them:

Spoiler for series list:

Then the draft list of contestans (pre-nomination list + the ones that have been nominated so far): LIST HERE
It should be updated with nominated characters as nominations goes on.

Thanks for those who helped me make that list: frustra, Seishi, uis, Teiran, wontaek

Last edited by chaosprophet; 2010-06-27 at 09:45.
Old 2010-06-27, 00:28   Link #145
OverFunk
It will never be the year

Yeah, tags are accurate.

Never forget
Old 2010-06-27, 02:10   Link #146
frustra
Team M.Y.T.Hi.C.

The official site has updated their schedule page.

So we're officially back to the traditional 288 person format, but with a twist. Looks like we'll only be having three rounds en route to the quarterfinals. Also, three-way melee for the block finals will make for some interesting matches.

also, for quick reference, here's a rundown of the sched. Thanks Micchi.

06/26~07/06 – Nominations
07/07 – First preliminaries draw
07/09~07/24 – First preliminaries
07/27~07/30 – Second preliminaries
07/30 – Main round draw
08/03~08/11 – First round (Blocks A-B)
08/16~09/11 – First round (Blocks C-H)
09/13~09/18 – Second round (Blocks A-D)
09/20~09/26 – Second round (Block E-H)
09/28~10/05 – Block finals
10/08~10/11 – Quarterfinals
10/13~10/14 – Semifinals
10/16 – Final
Old 2010-06-27, 02:34   Link #147
Team Rocket Elite

I'm not a huge fan of 3-way block finals. Split votes have a smaller effect in earlier rounds since there are still weaker characters around that might take up the third/fourth spot in the match. The strongest character can just overpower them despite being held back by split votes. By the time we get to the Top 24, all the characters remaining should be fairly strong and getting into a split match situation is likely death. I'm assuming character placement in the bracket is random again this year. If the characters were placed manually (and assuming the tournament organizes don't like split votes screwing over characters), we could avoid a lot of the split vote situations even with the current format. Random means all we can do is hope we get lucky and get a good bracket.
Old 2010-06-27, 08:11   Link #148
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I guess the orginizer like what they saw with last year's G Block finals.
Sigh....
Old 2010-06-27, 09:10   Link #149
frustra
Team M.Y.T.Hi.C.

Initial Nomination Results for series beginning with G, K or Q in Japanese:

Spoiler for loooooong:

http://mig380.chez-alice.fr/up0/file/u1_003404.txt

Last edited by frustra; 2010-06-27 at 09:55.
Old 2010-06-27, 09:56   Link #150
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by frustra View Post
So we're officially back to the traditional 288 person format, but with a twist. Looks like we'll only be having three rounds en route to the quarterfinals. Also, three-way melee for the block finals will make for some interesting matches.
Boo. I'd rather have more matches and fewer three-ways. Making the tournament shorter is no fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
-Please make sure your brackets are shift_JS brackets, not ASCII brackets. <<vote>> not <<vote>> .
You sure about that? I don't remember anything like that before, and that doesn't seem to be the case in this thread outside three instances...
Old 2010-06-27, 11:02   Link #151
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by frustra View Post
The official site has updated their schedule page.

also, for quick reference, here's a rundown of the sched. Thanks Micchi.

06/26~07/06 – Nominations
07/07 – First preliminaries draw
07/09~07/24 – First preliminaries
07/27~07/30 – Second preliminaries
07/30 – Main round draw
08/03~08/11 – First round (Blocks A-B)
08/16~09/11 – First round (Blocks C-H)
09/13~09/18 – Second round (Blocks A-D)
09/20~09/26 – Second round (Block E-H)
09/28~10/05 – Block finals
10/08~10/11 – Quarterfinals
10/13~10/14 – Semifinals
10/16 – Final
Thanks. I tried translating last night, but fell asleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post
You sure about that? I don't remember anything like that before, and that doesn't seem to be the case in this thread outside three instances...
Hm, could be, but I don't remember seeing <<>> last year. I'm just saying to use <<>> to be safe.
Old 2010-06-27, 11:09   Link #152
Micchi
兄さんが望むなら...

The 4-way and 3-way set up will definitely makes things a bit different this time around. Can't wait for the main draw ><
Old 2010-06-27, 11:45   Link #153
Aya Reiko
Cutengu

It appears this'll be the main tournament format up through the final 8.

Spoiler:
Old 2010-06-27, 12:37   Link #154
Seishi
Kholdy's Slave

Send a message via AIM to Seishi Send a message via MSN to Seishi Send a message via Yahoo to Seishi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aya Reiko View Post
It appears this'll be the main tournament format up through the final 8.

Spoiler:
The groupings look so...unnatural. I guess we'll get used to it.
Old 2010-06-27, 13:13   Link #155
Eater of All
NOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Rocket Elite View Post
I'm not a huge fan of 3-way block finals. Split votes have a smaller effect in earlier rounds since there are still weaker characters around that might take up the third/fourth spot in the match. The strongest character can just overpower them despite being held back by split votes. By the time we get to the Top 24, all the characters remaining should be fairly strong and getting into a split match situation is likely death. I'm assuming character placement in the bracket is random again this year. If the characters were placed manually (and assuming the tournament organizes don't like split votes screwing over characters), we could avoid a lot of the split vote situations even with the current format. Random means all we can do is hope we get lucky and get a good bracket.
The thing I notice with Saimoe is that it's much less statistics-oriented than ISML, opting to focus on the more "emotional" (i.e. RAEG-inducing) aspects of the tournament. Introducing 3-way block finals and submitting themselves to the mercy of the Random God, I reckon, is just the organizers' way of cultivating these aspects to make Saimoe more exciting for the voters.

Either way, if I see an increased amount of indigestion and/or death due to cardboard eating this year, I can understand why.
Old 2010-06-27, 15:53   Link #156
Aya Reiko
Cutengu

The main change is that the R1 matches are a four-way and the Block Finals are three-way matches. Number of (intended) participants is unchanged from last year.
Old 2010-06-27, 16:45   Link #157
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Add me to the list of people who are not confortable with the planned layout for the tournamenet this year, specifically the "three-way dance" that makes up the finals for each block. Two reasons why I say this:

1. As Team Rocket Elite mentioned, having the tournament block finals be determined by a "three-way dance" is very risky if two of the three competitors are from the same show. After all, we all saw what happened last year when Eruruu had a huge upset victory over Haruhi and Yuki.

2. As the old saying goes, if it's not broke, dont fix it. In the case of Saimoe, making the block finals a "three-way dance" just for the sake of cutting the time it takes to run the tournament takes away a lot of the magic that I've come to experience in the tournament. After all, I grown accustomed to the tournament weeding out the field until there's 32 characters left, with the remaining girls competing in 1-on-1 matches to determine the winner (not to mention the Negima parody that accompanies this each year). Hence, I'd rather stick with a tradition that has been around with since the start of the tournament over a change made just to cut down the time it takes to run it.
Old 2010-06-27, 17:03   Link #158
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Smaller class sizes? (24 girls remains before finals...hmmm).
Old 2010-06-27, 17:06   Link #159
Psieye
Lore Hunter

Send a message via AIM to Psieye Send a message via MSN to Psieye
As much as we miss the 1v1 nature of Rounds 3+, we don't know the full circumstances behind this decision. It could be that running the tournament is such a huge drain on resources/energy that shortening it was considered important enough.

Moe Culture Essays (my archive of my long posts); J Saimoe 2008 Wiki pages (minimialistic ASuki link library for now)
Old 2010-06-27, 23:56   Link #160
Aya Reiko
Cutengu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psieye View Post
As much as we miss the 1v1 nature of Rounds 3+, we don't know the full circumstances behind this decision. It could be that running the tournament is such a huge drain on resources/energy that shortening it was considered important enough.
Don't think so. At least in terms of length.

Saimoe IX's Final is set for October 15th.
Last year's Final was October 17th.

Matches per day, otoh, will be fewer.

Tags
2010, saimoe