AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-07-20, 16:13   Link #1
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Dragon Age II

The sequel to Dragon Age: Origins

Spoiler for Dragon Age 2 info:
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-20, 18:52   Link #2
tkdtiger

personally I didn't want to start a new hero...I wanted to play "my" hero and continue his quest...oh well overall though it looks like it will be a pretty good game...
tkdtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-21, 08:22   Link #3
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I'm actually enjoying what I'm seeing and reading so far. Hopefully, it'll be a good continuation to a great game.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-21, 21:56   Link #4
Goddess_suki

Send a message via AIM to Goddess_suki Send a message via MSN to Goddess_suki Send a message via Yahoo to Goddess_suki
I loved the first one! I am really looking forward to Dragon Age 2.
Goddess_suki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-21, 22:08   Link #5
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Oh great, another sequel.

I was really happy when Bioware decided to do the first Dragon Age, bringing an excellent fantasy CRPG with a new and fresh IP, instead of Yet Another Forgotten Realms D&D Title.

Shit practically every game at E3 2010 had a number in the title.
Old 2010-07-21, 22:08   Link #6
Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdtiger View Post
personally I didn't want to start a new hero...I wanted to play "my" hero and continue his quest...oh well overall though it looks like it will be a pretty good game...
I'm in a similar position as well, although what I've heard about a portion of the game taking place concurrently alongside Origins and Awakening (which from my estimates is about 2-3 years overall... traveling back and forth across Ferelden on foot sucks) is intriguing. I'll feel some small token of condolence and amusement to hear a rumor (ingame playing as Hawke) from an NPC or something about my Warden defiling the Ashes of Andraste or something. This is where I hope the importing filesaves comes into play.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-21, 22:32   Link #7
velocd
Witcher, with tenure

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
bringing an excellent fantasy CRPG with a new and fresh IP, instead of Yet Another Forgotten Realms D&D Title.(
Yet another? You speak as if Bioware was churning Forgotten Realms games. Their last Forgotten Realms game was Neverwinter Nights in 2003. Before that was Baldur's Gate 2 in 2000.

I enjoyed Dragon Age, but honestly, and I think I speak for most classic isometric RPG fans, I would give my left arm for Baldur's Gate 3. (prefer my right arm for clicking)
velocd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-22, 01:08   Link #8
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocd View Post
I enjoyed Dragon Age, but honestly, and I think I speak for most classic isometric RPG fans, I would give my left arm for Baldur's Gate 3. (prefer my right arm for clicking)
Well, there was supposed to be a Baldur's Gate 3 by Black Isle, which was written as an indirect sequel. Baldur's Gate: The Black Hound.

It was supposed to be a more story-based, low level campaign... totally different.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-22, 09:52   Link #9
velocd
Witcher, with tenure

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Well, there was supposed to be a Baldur's Gate 3 by Black Isle, which was written as an indirect sequel. Baldur's Gate: The Black Hound.

It was supposed to be a more story-based, low level campaign... totally different.
That project has been in the works forever, tossed around like Duke Nukem Forever. If it's not by Bioware it's no sequel to me. :P

Unfortunately that may never happen because Bioware doesn't have the license to Baldur's Gate anymore. (Atari does)
velocd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-22, 10:23   Link #10
Crimrui
Hollow

Send a message via Yahoo to Crimrui
So in short we are getting a Dragon Age/Mass Effect hybrid? Sounds cool. I'm sure BioWare will deliver, but I only wish they make some better and larger variety of armor choices for both male and females. Some sexy ones you know?
Old 2010-07-22, 10:55   Link #11
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Cloud View Post
So in short we are getting a Dragon Age/Mass Effect hybrid?
Not having played Mass Effect (don't have an X-BOX and my notebook cannot handle the games), I don't see this as such a bad move, myself. All the cries of overt simplification of the game and whatnot... I'll wait for the more hands-on opinions before anything.

Oh, who am I kidding, I'll probably buy this the day it's released, like I have all of the DLC's for the first one, already...

Old 2010-07-22, 18:04   Link #12
Who

For anyone who's interested in history and setting of games, here's DA's timeline, right from the Ancient Times to the events of the games.

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archi...of-thedas.aspx

Will try and look for a Game Informer at Gamestop tomorrow.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-23, 03:09   Link #13
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
That project has been in the works forever, tossed around like Duke Nukem Forever. If it's not by Bioware it's no sequel to me. :P

Unfortunately that may never happen because Bioware doesn't have the license to Baldur's Gate anymore. (Atari does)
Too bad though. It sounds kinda Planescape-like. More on the plot or role-playing, but less on the action.

I always consider Black Isle/Obsidian to usually have more compelling ideas or stories compared to Bioware—Plansecape: Torment, Mask of the Betrayer, Fallout and so on—but Bioware puts out a more well-built product.

Anyway, with DA2 focusing on this so-called Champion of Kirkwall, it'll be interesting to play as a hero who isn't a Grey Warden. It's like breaking the current Bioware RPG pattern of eventually joining some secretive, elite group in order to save the day (Jedi/Spectre/Grey Warden).
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-23, 06:19   Link #14
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

awesome

now i get to use my old DA:O saved files
technomo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-23, 06:49   Link #15
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Anyway, with DA2 focusing on this so-called Champion of Kirkwall, it'll be interesting to play as a hero who isn't a Grey Warden. It's like breaking the current Bioware RPG pattern of eventually joining some secretive, elite group in order to save the day (Jedi/Spectre/Grey Warden).
Hmmm... if they do stick with it, that would actually be a refreshing change. There's hope for it, yet - with all the "you choose what you become" emphasis. Let's see.

Old 2010-07-23, 09:34   Link #16
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic
Oh great, another sequel.
It was always known that Bioware planned DA to be the next big franchise, no? They even called the first game "Origins."

Quote:
Didn't everyone just take Origins as the spiritual sequel anyway? It's not like they were going to continue the Bhaalspawn saga since that one's done and over with. It's the era of the Darkspawn instead, yo.

Naturally I'm totally looking forward to this game.

That said, while Origins was a magnificent RPG by any standards, I think Bioware is taking their own universe a bit too seriously. Art direction more austere than Origins? They make it sound like Ferelden was a magical fairyland of floating cities and glittering dreamscapes, and not the filthy backwater of wet dogs and grimdark men that it was! The DA universe was already a more austere version of the Forgotten Realms anyway, what's with mages being demon-bait, elves oppressed by xenophobia, and the darkspawn borrowing heavily from Tolkien's original orcs before everybody else decided to humanize the lot culminating in a certain green dude named Thrall.

Eh, I guess that's one thing JRPGs will always get one over the West. They don't feel the need to blush and act tough when they want their fantasy worlds to sparkle.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-23, 10:01   Link #17
Velsy

I still dissapointed with the ending to Dragon age, I havent really considered getting the expansion nor Dragon age 2 :/

I am amazed at the work they did in Dragon age, but the ending was just poor :/. So its not like I really encouraged to continue the story.

Donated by Om Nerabdator
Velsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-23, 10:29   Link #18
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

What was so poor about those endings, if I may ask? The conclusion itself, or the text panels?
In my own opinion, the first game had some of the most satisfying endings this side of Heavy Rain and similar story-heavy offerings.

Old 2010-07-23, 14:32   Link #19
tkdtiger

well I hope that if they make a third game you can continue using your hero and hawke (is that his name?) Will be part of your group...that way it become a trilogy...
tkdtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-23, 14:52   Link #20
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

I hope that next game, they skip 100+ years instead of just 10. I don't have a problem with it, I just think it'd make for easier story telling. (Bioware tends to carry baggage in my opinion.)

Hopefully they do add polearms. I'd really like my halberd right about now~

I wonder if the Green Blade will be seen again? (You know, just throwing that out as a possible outcome of a choice. Would be pretty cool.)
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bioware, ps3, rpg, windows, xbox360