AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-11-09, 22:40   Link #1
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Recycling and The Trail of E-Waste

This thread was made to discuss the topic of recycling and what is called the trail of E-Waste. It would be especially interesting to hear about this from those who know about this issue in Asia.

Here is a link for an introduction to the trail of E-waste is.

I am quite disgusted with this.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-09, 23:09   Link #2
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Heh, give me a day or so, and I'll dig up the articles on computer waste in other developing countries where they dump all our hardware at, also happens in African countries too.
Quote:
Executive Recycling, of Englewood, Colo., which ran the Denver event, promised the public on its Web site: "Your e-waste is recycled properly, right here in the U.S. - not simply dumped on somebody else."
Sounds about right...
Not surprising at all, if our own landfills for rubbish are getting full (speak for UK here tho), they need to shift it all somewhere....

edit:
Okay, not a day, found the article i was after
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7543489.stm
Quote:
Greenpeace is calling for an end to what it calls "poisoning the poor". It wants electronics manufacturers to stop using hazardous materials and to take responsibility for the whole lifecycle of their products.

But unless waste management policies are enforced, in our disposable age of frequent computer upgrades, this poisonous supply will not be drying up soon.
So yeah, just be mindful of how fast you all wanna upgrade your harddrives, motherboards and the rest, cause sadly the "recycling" centres aren't so eco freindly

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia

Last edited by Mystique; 2008-11-10 at 01:11.
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-10, 00:18   Link #3
brocko

The thought of where all this e-waste goes once we dispose of em locally has never really crossed my mind until now to be honest. It kinda disheartens me abit, finding out about all this toxic harm and pollution e-waste can cause and the fact that it's being dumped onto those less fortunate...

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-10, 00:35   Link #4
Cherudim Arche

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
The thought of where all this e-waste goes once we dispose of em locally has never really crossed my mind until now to be honest. It kinda disheartens me abit, finding out about all this toxic harm and pollution e-waste can cause and the fact that it's being dumped onto those less fortunate...
60 minutes was talking about it, how it causes so much trouble.
Cherudim Arche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-10, 08:10   Link #5
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Out of sight, out of mind.

But seriously, this problem needs coordination from various nations if it is to be solved. There should be a system where still-useful parts are used to build coms and given to poorer areas.
Old 2008-11-10, 15:48   Link #6
Tiberium Wolf

Being resolved? I don't think so. This problem is the same as the CFC's deal. There will be always ppl smuggling it from one place to another. Why? Coz it generates money.