AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-02-03, 19:43   Link #61
Js2756
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Erementar is a Japanese word. Elemental is just the stupid translation. Who came first, the Japanese title or the translation.
It is STANDARD! it is used EVERYWHERE! who the f*** told you it's THE F***ING LATIN alphabet?!
The letter L does not exist! That specific sound is unpronounceable...

If I told you to write German words so English speakers could read them, what would you do?
You would start converting German-specific-letters to their closest equivalent, same for Latin, French etc etc

It's wrong~ you say? Well it's a Japanese title isn't it.
Why are you not writing it in Kanji and using this meant to be comfortable to you language.
Now who's disrespecting the title? now who is writing titles people can't even memorize or recognize?
It's kinda hard to write Kanji for a word when there is no kanji that ends in r. So is erementar really a Japanese word or are you just making stuff up? Because if it is, I would be interested in what the Japanese definition of erementar is and in what context it is used.

Btw, if I was writing that manga, I would've written the title in kanji (assuming I could) because I'm writing for a Japanese audience, or at the very least, made sure that my spelling was correct. Writing it incorrectly serves no purpose because a Japanese person would still be unable to derive meaning from it, and it looks bad to people who can read english.
Old 2008-02-03, 20:06   Link #62
Supah Em
WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant0 View Post
Initial D - Ok, if D is supposed to be Drive, why initial?

its actually initial DRIFT

initial because the first stage showed how takuma started out using the AE 86 trueno.

initial = start

and to get back on the topic:

Please Teacher! - not that the anime is bad(its actually good!), its just when my friends asked what i was watching and i told them, they gave me the "err.. hentai" look.
Supah Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 21:22   Link #63
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Erementar is a Japanese word. Elemental is just the stupid translation. Who came first, the Japanese title or the translation.
It is STANDARD! it is used EVERYWHERE! who the f*** told you it's THE F***ING LATIN alphabet?!
The letter L does not exist! That specific sound is unpronounceable...
Calm down, don't have a conniption.

Actually, the "translation", as you put it, had to have come first. The japanese are using an english word, but adapating it to best fit japanese pronunciation, since it is obviously different from that of english. It depends who's saying it, but Elemental Gelade is a better romanization than is "Erementar Gerad". Your ignorance of the japanese language is astounding. If it were really japanese it would be romanized as "Erumentaru Guredo", due to how it would be pronounced and because every japanese letter must be one consonant sound coupled with a vowel sound. The only exception to this is "n". While occasionally you get bizzare romanizations such as "Tenjho Tenge" (should be "Tenjou Tenge") or "Kyo Kara Maoh" (should be "Kyou Kara Maou"), in general unless you spell out everything of the japanese name, it's just better to convert it completely to its english equivalent, or the closest thing to it.

I don't know why this is such a big deal, people. It's only a difference in spelling because in japanese there is no letter "l" so any japanese title using an english word will use the japanese katakana "ra ri ru re ro".
Old 2008-02-03, 23:55   Link #64
Nenkitsune

Send a message via AIM to Nenkitsune Send a message via Yahoo to Nenkitsune
Quote:
Originally Posted by supahem View Post
its actually initial DRIFT

initial because the first stage showed how takuma started out using the AE 86 trueno.

initial = start

and to get back on the topic:

Please Teacher! - not that the anime is bad(its actually good!), its just when my friends asked what i was watching and i told them, they gave me the "err.. hentai" look.
you can go even further and say it's an initial drift in a way, like with a feint drift (aka scandinavian flick for you rally guys) where you actually have 2 drifts for 2 turn. if you have a right hand turn, you would slide the car slightly to the left, then flick the car to the right, using the inertia to "flick" the car around the turn.

but I like your explanation more. it's simpler.

もいちど。。。
Nenkitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 01:11   Link #65
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Ever since 'Boys Be...' I have lost faith in how Japanese named their shows or manga in English. I mean, let's take that for example. It's supposed to come from the speech made by a certain professor saying 'Boys, be ambitious!'. If the mangaka just left the title to be 'Be ambitious' or left the phrase alone, it would've been fine. But the Japanese being the Japanese, they take the first two and now it hardly tells anything! XD

Titles in full Japanese are usually fine though, as the translators usually just left it romanized or translate it to proper English. But if there's any English in it, vast majority of the time it sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
Su momomomomomo? I don't know how many "mo" there are suppose to be
Lol! I had that problem, but then the song got permanently etched in my mind. I'm pretty sure it's Sumomo mo momo, going by the song in my head lol. Although another way a friend told me how to remember is that some characters are named Sumomo (think chobits), take Momo from Momoko, and join them together with another 'mo' (which translates to something like 'and also' IIRC). Forgot though what Sumomo and Momo meant, but IIRC, they were fruits. ^^;

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 01:38   Link #66
Lintendo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant0 View Post

Planetes - Not only Engrish, but doesn't really reflect much about the series.
It's actually Greek. ΠΛΑΝΗΤΕΣ . It stands for wanderers or something of the like. I'm not quite sure.
Lintendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 02:25   Link #67
Nenkitsune

Send a message via AIM to Nenkitsune Send a message via Yahoo to Nenkitsune
Sumomo is plum, Momo is peach. So i suppose it translates to "Plum and Peach"

もいちど。。。
Nenkitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 03:40   Link #68
Phantasmagoria
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta
It makes sense, considering that that is the name of the main group of people. Plus, it was explained why Alice named it that.
That's one point of view. How about the perspective of those who didn't watch that anime? They wouldn't know what sense it is.

The same thing goes for Bleach, etc, on the surface, they sound like another different world, and that is what makes it worst anime titles i.m.o.

Emphasis = Surface

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare
Not really. Just like Naruto, the title is the name of one of the protagonists. In fact, it's you who just spoiled it for others.
Guess what, I knew from the start the ending is going to be something about Suzuka, hence predictable. Spoiler? I call that common sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nenkitsune
Sumomo is plum, Momo is peach. So i suppose it translates to "Plum and Peach"
Hmm.. I see..

Quote:
Originally Posted by supahem
Tell them it's "Onegai Sensei!" , not Please Teacher!

If they are not good in Japanese, it works like a charm, lol!

Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 2008-02-04 at 04:05.
Phantasmagoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 10:28   Link #69
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Strawberry Panic! - I LOVE THIS SERIES, ALOT. BUT, WHY SUCH A TITLE?
I think it's intended to have sexual connotations rather than referring to the fruit. I'll leave it at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintendo View Post
It's actually Greek. ΠΛΑΝΗΤΕΣ . It stands for wanderers or something of the like. I'm not quite sure.
The planets were called "wanderers" by the ancient Greeks because they appeared to "wander" around the sky unlike the stars. In Planetes, it's the humans who are the wanderers are they undertake the exploration and colonization of space.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 11:13   Link #70
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Tell them it's "Onegai Sensei!" , not Please Teacher!
Except that it isn't. The original Japanese title was Onegai Teacher.

Anyway, Read or Die never really made sense to me. I guess it does fit the series, but still try actually saying that title.
Old 2008-02-04, 14:56   Link #71
Meiaminkbell
Lover of Elfen Ears

Send a message via AIM to Meiaminkbell
"Reader Die"

*is not going to watch ROD anytime soon*
Meiaminkbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 15:01   Link #72
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Azumanga Daioh - Just don't why they called it this.
Azumanga Daioh also makes sense as a mispronunciation of 「あずまんがだよ!」(AzuManga da yo!), which would mean something like "It's Azuma's manga!".

At least that's what I was originally told about it. It could be just a silly conjecture, though.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 15:51   Link #73
Pyroman
The master of fudge!

Send a message via MSN to Pyroman
Kanon, Kanon is the literal word for Canon in dutch, great anime/game bad title
Pyroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 15:58   Link #74
Phantasmagoria
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroman
Not convincing.. I don't get what you're saying.. mind re-phrasing?
Old 2008-02-04, 16:19   Link #75
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroman View Post
I wonder why you concluded that Kanon is a reference to the Dutch word though. A lot of same sounding words can be found in different languages with different meanings if you bother looking hard enough.

As far as Kanon goes, it is believed to be a reference to a term in music.
Old 2008-02-04, 16:43   Link #76
Casshern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Neon Genesis Evangelion
I tried looking it up, and "Evangelion" isn't even a damn word. I don't think it has anything to do with evangelism.
It's a greek word. The evangelions are the holy scriptures or books which comprise the bible. The word literally means "good message". Neon genesis evangelion has many greek and khabalistic references. For example, the Evangelion units are nicknamed "Eva". Eva is the greek name for "Eve", as in Adam and Eve. It's a pun. In the book of genesis god creates Eve with a rib from Adam's side. In the anime the Evas are made with dna from Adam, the first angel. I'm a massive Evangelion fan!

The only anime title that has totally weirded me out was "Bastard!". I haven't even seen the anime... AFAIK the title refers to a bastard sword or something, kinda like Claymore. I dunno, I just find that a title like Bastard! is too "in your face" so to speak...
Casshern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 18:10   Link #77
Js2756
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuromancer View Post
The only anime title that has totally weirded me out was "Bastard!". I haven't even seen the anime... AFAIK the title refers to a bastard sword or something, kinda like Claymore. I dunno, I just find that a title like Bastard! is too "in your face" so to speak...
Having watched tons of old Chinese kung fu movies dubbed over in english, I think "Bastard!" is an awesome title.
Old 2008-02-05, 04:46   Link #78
Ziv

Quote:
Neon Genesis Evangelion
I tried looking it up, and "Evangelion" isn't even a damn word. I don't think it has anything to do with evangelism.
Evangelion is an ancient greek word.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
The Japanese title for the series, Shin Seiki Evangelion, is composed of two parts: "Shin Seiki" (新世紀, ? new era/century) from Japanese and "Evangelion" (εὐαγγέλιον eüaggélion, gospel, good messenger, good news) from Ancient Greek. The decision to call the series Neon Genesis Evangelion in English was originally made by Gainax, and not by translators; the use of the word "Evangelion" in particular was chosen by Anno "because it sounds complicated"[75] It appears in the eyecatches of the original, untranslated episodes, and is used by Gainax to market the series worldwide.
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 12:41   Link #79
Major1138

Quote:
Full Metal Panic!
I don't know why it's called "Full Metal"... is it a reference to the mecha? Because it's not a very good one. And "Panic" just seems out-of-the-blue. Same goes for titles that have "burn up" in their names.
I always thought it was a reference to the movie Full Metal Jacket
Major1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 13:08   Link #80
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

Bleach
huh..? the show has nothing to do with bleach.

Bastard!
Mum: What anime are you watching now?
Me: Bastard
Mum: Excuse Me?

Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo
Wtf is a bobobobobo? ^_^''

There is some wierd anime names..

Miko Miko is offline   Reply With Quote