AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Muv-Luv Franchise

Notices

Old 2012-08-08, 09:57   Link #521
kaizerknight01
Extra Superior Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Sheba's final stretch in the Muv Luv Alternative Trauma Train

Last night, I left the game when the title drop for episode 10 appeared. I thought it could be a good point to stop before picking it up in the next day.

I woke up, at first I thought I should play Endless Space a bit. Then instead I picked from my last save. And I don't regret it.

Spoiler for You are scared of that story:

EDIT:

Muv Luv main trilogy is one of the VNs that have taken advantage of the visual novel format and tropes, and build a story with those. It have taken the bold step to take the protagonists out of their environment and put them to test in another one. This is one of the reasons why I think it is memorable.

Spoiler for major game spoilers:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-08-08 at 17:29.
kaizerknight01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-08, 10:04   Link #522
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Himmel View Post
^
You can't just... you know, reading that entering the atmosphere scenes without saluting to your monitor and shed a few tears! ;_;
Spoiler:
Alternative made her one of my favorite characters of the entire franchise. She was crazy, but the good kind of crazy. Someone you are happy to have on the good side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaizerknight01 View Post
Spoiler for major game spoilers:
Spoiler:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-08-08 at 17:30.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-08, 10:10   Link #523
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

Quote:
Sheba's final stretch in the Muv Luv Alternative Trauma Train

Last night, I left the game when the title drop for episode 10 appeared. I thought it could be a good point to stop before picking it up in the next day.

I woke up, at first I thought I should play Endless Space a bit. Then instead I picked from my last save. And I don't regret it.

Spoiler for You are scared of that story:

EDIT:

Muv Luv main trilogy is one of the VNs that have taken advantage of the visual novel format and tropes, and build a story with those. It have taken the bold step to take the protagonists out of their environment and put them to test in another one. This is one of the reasons why I think it is memorable.
Congratulations on completing Muv Luv Alternative, and be made welcome to the group as one who has completed this trial.
Not all who started this journey finished it, but those who do are changed in small but certain ways. Such is the sign of a good story, that some small wisdom is imparted to the soul.
Yes, MLA is one of the very very rare stories that combines many of the elements that made those science fiction stories so unique, adds in the Japanese element of romance, and manages to release it in a coherent and engaging storyline.
Of course, now that you have completed the main story, you must explore the expanding universe of ML. There is much more out there, each with its own goodness.

Have fun, and welcome to the brotherhood.

Quote:
Alternative made her one of my favorite characters of the entire franchise. She was crazy, but the good kind of crazy. Someone you are happy to have on the good side.
Yes, she may well be the keyhole character in the story. She did what she had to do, no matter what cost to others or herself. In the end she is still human, doing the work no one else can, and suffering for it.

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt. Run in little circles, wave your arms and shout.
grevierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-08, 10:33   Link #524
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by grevierr View Post
Yes, MLA is one of the very very rare stories that combines many of the elements that made those science fiction stories so unique, adds in the Japanese element of romance, and manages to release it in a coherent and engaging storyline.
Of course, now that you have completed the main story, you must explore the expanding universe of ML. There is much more out there, each with its own goodness.

Have fun, and welcome to the brotherhood.

I acknowledge that it is far from perfect if you look at the tiniest details and pick them apart with questions like, "Why TSFs?", "Why did not we do it against BETAs?", "Why did not BETAs do it sooner?", but in the end, the sums of all parts from the characters and their associated tropes, to the lolscience and political comment in the series made it a very engaging series should you invest time and interest in it. I mean, I have been reading the story, enjoying the narration and "Bah!!" paid no more mind to the critics. Because in the end, Muv Luv Alternative truly IS A Tale of Love and Courage. And with that tagline in mind, Kouki accomplisshed his mission, conveying it with all those moments of bravery and heartwarming.
Old 2012-08-08, 11:04   Link #525
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

Quote:
I acknowledge that it is far from perfect if you look at the tiniest details and pick them apart with questions like, "Why TSFs?", "Why did not we do it against BETAs?", "Why did not BETAs do it sooner?", but in the end, the sums of all parts from the characters and their associated tropes, to the lolscience and political comment in the series made it a very engaging series should you invest time and interest in it. I mean, I have been reading the story, enjoying the narration and "Bah!!" paid no more mind to the critics. Because in the end, Muv Luv Alternative truly IS A Tale of Love and Courage. And with that tagline in mind, Kouki accomplisshed his mission, conveying it with all those moments of bravery and heartwarming.
No fictional story is made without some pre-established assumptions. One also cannot enjoy a story if one keeps looking for holes.
Personally I accepted the explanation that giant enemies require giant weapons, and lasers rule out planes. BETAs are aliens, who knows what they are thinking.
I think enjoying the story for what it is, not just for MLA, but for everything, is the best way to go in life. Open your eyes, look up to the skies and see, to quote a song.
And yes, it is a tale of hope and determination, which shines through the darkness of despair. Well done, Lord of Despair. Like Pandora's box, a glimmer of hope lies beneath the layers of darkness.

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt. Run in little circles, wave your arms and shout.
Old 2012-08-08, 11:47   Link #526
John117xCortana

The cost of victory was high. Perhaps too high. While it was certainly better than the results of Alternative V it was still a heavy price to pay.

And Takeru's efforts won't even be remembered in Alternative. Except by Kasumi and Yuuko.
John117xCortana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-08, 12:07   Link #527
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John117xCortana View Post
The cost of victory was high. Perhaps too high. While it was certainly better than the results of Alternative V it was still a heavy price to pay.

And Takeru's efforts won't even be remembered in Alternative. Except by Kasumi and Yuuko.

Spoiler:

When I know the effect of Operation Babylon, I am more than happy about humans having two more decades.

Last edited by Sheba; 2012-08-08 at 12:27.
Old 2012-08-08, 12:27   Link #528
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

Quote:
Spoiler:

When I know the effect of Operation Babylon, I am more than happy about humans having two more decades.
Spoiler for TDA:

Old 2012-08-08, 12:29   Link #529
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Quote:
Spoiler for TDA:
Spoiler:
Old 2012-08-08, 12:33   Link #530
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

Quote:
Spoiler:
I thought something along the same as well. Then I played it through. Its more then just a side story. It has the potential to be as good as MLA... Do try it if you have the chance.

Old 2012-08-09, 01:25   Link #531
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Quote:
I thought something along the same as well. Then I played it through. Its more then just a side story. It has the potential to be as good as MLA... Do try it if you have the chance.
You ought to tell me where I can find those. I tried Amiami or other shops like hlj, but no luck.
Old 2012-08-09, 02:15   Link #532
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

Quote:
You ought to tell me where I can find those. I tried Amiami or other shops like hlj, but no luck.
Amazon does sell the newer version of Chronicles 03, not sure about 02 and 01 though. There is always Yahoo Japan Auctions though.
As there is no translated versions you will need an understanding of Japanese or use a machine translator.

Old 2012-08-09, 19:19   Link #533
Ray
Garnet

So after a year of people convincing me to play Alternative, I finally finished it today.

Spoilers
Spoiler for Muv Luv Alternative impressions (massive spoilers, ahoy!)
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Oh, I should be making animated and static avatars of CGs and movies that I like, so if anyone has a request, let me know.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 21:13   Link #534
gbatemper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
So after a year of people convincing me to play Alternative, I finally finished it today.

Spoilers

Oh, I should be making animated and static avatars of CGs and movies that I like, so if anyone has a request, let me know.
If you don't feel satisfied, see it as Altered Fable as a continuation of Alternative (Despite age clearly stating in the intro Altered Fable is not related to any other work).

Anyways, typical of Age. Bittersweet ending.
gbatemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 22:07   Link #535
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post

Spoilers

Congrats on making it through MLA! Welcome to the brotherhood, we are slowly growing!

While some feel as you do on Final Extra, I feel that as an ending that goes back to the beginning, it is as the end of the circle.
Spoiler for Post MLA:

Old 2012-08-09, 22:47   Link #536
shaga
ヒスイ刈り取り機

Spoiler for :

Last edited by shaga; 2012-08-09 at 23:28.
shaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 22:59   Link #537
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaga View Post
Spoiler for MLA:
Firstly you need to spoiler your text.
Spoiler for MLA:

Old 2012-08-10, 02:49   Link #538
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Quote:

@shega : there's a fanfic in the fanfiction thread that follows up with your post.. Though whether you'll like it or not it's up to you

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-10, 03:38   Link #539
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer

I replied in this thread just stay on the safe side.

Quote:
Its taken from the Age 10th Anniversary video.

I have put together an almost full translation of the video, combining all the sources I had and self translating the rest. I need some help with the translation of the background text if anyone can help, thanks.

Spoiler for Almost full translation of the PV:
Boy, I'm so rusty. Prepare yourselves for some rough translation. I tried to make it make sense as I can.
Spoiler for Background translations. Major spoilers for the series.:
Silvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-10, 03:46   Link #540
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvance View Post
I replied in this thread just stay on the safe side.

Boy, I'm so rusty. Prepare yourselves for some rough translation. I tried to make it make sense as I can.
Spoiler for Background translations. Major spoilers for the series.:
Thank you very much! The translations looks great! I'll just adjust the spacing a little when I get the subbing done.

Tags
eroge, military science fiction, yuimoto