AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-07-30, 01:41   Link #681
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Put me into the side that thought this episode was good. Really good.

The moment Taichi opened his mouth to mention as to whom he spanks his monkey on, I already knew that the purpose of the scene was to reinforce precisely what Taichi's opinion of the entire thing is: that Inaban's fears were partially overblown, and that the other members really wouldn't hold it that serious on her. Is it true that he beats the log off on Inaba and the other two girls? Most likely it is, and maybe he was serious in how he was thoroughly ashamed of what he does, but it comes off that the entire scene composition was designed precisely to reflect and eventually deflect Inaban's belief that her problems were really that grave.

And you know what, the group agrees. Hell they barely even dwell on it when she admits everything. The entire initial confession scenes succeeds as the ice breaker and fails at the drama, whichever it was ultimately aiming for.

If it tried for drama then it sucked, but I'm of the opinion that the entire thing was never meant to be dramatic anyway, because Taichi was ultimately aiming to convince her that the load isn't as heavy of serious as she makes it out to be.

If it was meant as a comedic ice breaker, then it was a success, because it blew away the thick overbearing mood between them, put a smile on Inaban's face on Taichi's expense, and convinced her to spill the beans. It's ironic because for someone who thinks her issues with the swapping thing are serious, she treats a the issue of a guy jacking off his tally whacker to her with hilarity.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 01:49   Link #682
Marina2

Wow, a lot comments for ep.4 ^^

Just want to ask.......

- Anyone know how is Japanese's reaction to ep.4.

and

- Does this show air next week?

Last edited by Marina2; 2012-07-30 at 02:00.
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 01:53   Link #683
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
You know, it honestly worries me a bit that so many people here seem to think that Inaba's issues are pretty much insignificant.

Really? You really think that viewing everybody else as your enemy is no big deal? You really think that feeling like you can't trust anybody is not a significant problem? There's two words for what Inaba has: Extremely. Paranoid.

It's particularly alarming for a teenager to be like this, imo. For Inaba's sake, I hope she gets over it at some point.

And if this episode was just an exercise in comedy, then that's an awfully long lead-up to one joke.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2012-07-30 at 09:37.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 03:26   Link #684
com_gwp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
You know, it honestly worries me a bit that so many people here seem to think that Inaba's issues are pretty much insignificant.

While I do agree that it isn't a issue to be taken lightly in reality, there was absolutely nothing in her history to warrent this type of behaviour, making her entire complex seem forced, trite, and insignificant in the story. It's a typical teenager's overreaction to small problems, and we've seen many times how Inaba is perhaps the one least in control of her emotions despite trying in keep with her cool persona. As Nagase puts it, she's simply just "worrying too much", convincing herself that this paranoia issue affected her more than it actually did.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 03:36   Link #685
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by com_gwp View Post
While I do agree that it isn't a issue to be taken lightly in reality, there was absolutely nothing in her history to warrent this type of behaviour, making her entire complex seem forced, trite, and insignificant in the story.
Again, that's because it's not a 'problem' cause by something. Inaba herself admits that this is her natural personality and is something that she always had, but made more harder to keep in check because of the body switch.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 03:42   Link #686
com_gwp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Again, that's because it's not a 'problem' cause by something. Inaba herself admits that this is her natural personality and is something that she always had, but made more harder to keep in check because of the body switch.
Which is why I also go on to say that it's a typical teenager's overreaction. Which IS insignificant. Even the entire resolution revolves around the premise that it is insignificant.
Old 2012-07-30, 03:47   Link #687
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Which is why I also go on to say that it's a typical teenager's overreaction. Which IS insignificant. Even the entire resolution revolves around the premise that it is insignificant.
That's like saying Anorexia is insignificant because it's an irrational fear
Old 2012-07-30, 04:11   Link #688
com_gwp

Quote:
That's like saying Anorexia is insignificant because it's an irrational fear
Can I be evil and say that it is?

No but really, what Inaba appears to be doing is merely convincing herself that she trouble has trusting other people, and believes it a part of her personality. Hence, leading to her overreaction with the bodyswap. She's building a mountain out of a molehill when she doesn't even appear to show any kind of trust issue, and most probably wouldn't have thought about it until the whole bodyswap shtcik, and convinced herself otherwise. I'm not saying trust issues are insignificant, but in her case, it is.
Old 2012-07-30, 04:39   Link #689
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Can I be evil and say that it is?

No but really, what Inaba appears to be doing is merely convincing herself that she trouble has trusting other people, and believes it a part of her personality. Hence, leading to her overreaction with the bodyswap. She's building a mountain out of a molehill when she doesn't even appear to show any kind of trust issue, and most probably wouldn't have thought about it until the whole bodyswap shtcik, and convinced herself otherwise. I'm not saying trust issues are insignificant, but in her case, it is.

Ahh I see where the problem is- You think this was all brought up because of the body switch right? But that's not it- she has always been distrusting of people, however she kept that side hidden to herself and show a smiling face to the world- Her talk about viewing the whole world as an 'enemy' was really her true feelings to an extent. What the body switch did was making it harder for her to keep up appearances.

Ah but I suppose I can't blame you- I got this from the LN which are generally more detailed.

Lets take a possible real world scenario that you may know of heh

Spoiler for For your eyes only:
Old 2012-07-30, 04:48   Link #690
com_gwp

Quote:
Ahh I see where the problem is- You think this was all brought up because of the body switch right? But that's not it- she has always been distrusting of people, however she kept that side hidden to herself and show a smiling face to the world- Her talk about viewing the whole world as an 'enemy' was really her true feelings to an extent. What the body switch did was making it harder for her to keep up appearances.

Ah but I suppose I can't blame you- I got this from the LN which are generally more detailed.
Then, should I chalk this misrepresentation up to the anime's poor execution?

Quote:
Lets take a possible real world scenario that you may know of heh

Spoiler for For your eyes only:
Oh you.
Old 2012-07-30, 04:51   Link #691
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Then, should I chalk this misrepresentation up to the anime's flaw?
Nah , your kungfu is just not as strong as mine

Quote:
Oh you.
Oh me.

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2012-07-30 at 05:51.
Old 2012-07-30, 08:33   Link #692
Arya

To be honest guys I can't see any paranoid behaviors from Inaba. So far, at least. The only episode that I remember a bit suspicious was when she mentioned (at the phone with Taichi while she was reassuring Yui from Aoki' sharp but embarrassing question) to not do anything to her bag. A bit strange, but not paranoid. If she was paranoid she would have absolutely taken her bag with her.
I'm just reacting as all her friends anyways, so probably it is what the writers wanted to convey so far. Misleading us into underestimating her issues.
But anyways on paper her problem looks less heavy that the other ones, on paper.
Surely, as I had already written, to me she looked more like a control freak. She broke down because she lost the control over the body swapping, anyways ...

In the meanwhile I renew Marina2's question
Quote:
Does this show air next week?

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 09:19   Link #693
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Inaba's problem was a bit of a let down, I expected something more interesting. At least we have the next episode with Iori. I really hope the anime won't end up as a harem, though.
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 09:33   Link #694
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
In the meanwhile I renew Marina2's question
tvk (the first airing station) lists episode 5 airing this week. There should be no change in the airing schedule for Kokoro Connect

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 09:41   Link #695
mayumi

Inaba does not really have much drama to her or trauma. It can be let down or it can be refreshing that she is just normal teenager who worries too much unlike the other 2 girls. For me it is refreshing as opposed to i had 5 dads story.
mayumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 09:52   Link #696
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
While I do agree that it isn't a issue to be taken lightly in reality, there was absolutely nothing in her history to warrent this type of behaviour,
How do we know that? I mean, I don't recall learning a whole lot about Inaba's personal history. There's been more focus on Iori and Yui in that regard, unless I'm forgetting something.

Quote:
As Nagase puts it, she's simply just "worrying too much", convincing herself that this paranoia issue affected her more than it actually did.
"Worrying too much" is paranoia. That's what paranoia is all about.

Yeah, Inaba worries too much, and that causes serious trust issues for her (or the other way around, her trust issues causes her to worry too much).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
Surely, as I had already written, to me she looked more like a control freak.
Why do you think people become control freaks? It's because they're paranoid and/or can't trust anybody. People want control the most when they trust others the least.

All of these issues ("paranoia", "worrying too much", "control freak") are very tightly related.

I really, really hope that Taichi's quick and easy solutions to Yui, Iori, and Inaba's issues don't resolve them.

I am holding out hope for something of a deconstruction here. I hope that Haak is right about that.
Old 2012-07-30, 10:04   Link #697
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
I really, really hope that Taichi's quick and easy solutions to Yui, Iori, and Inaba's issues don't resolve them.

I am holding out hope for something of a deconstruction here. I hope that Haak is right about that.
Unless suicide dives are a lasting solution (which, in a perverse way they are I suppose), I'm pretty sure somewhere along the line Taichi has failed to actually help Iori (and/or whoever is in her body).
Old 2012-07-30, 10:08   Link #698
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Quote:
How do we know that? I mean, I don't recall learning a whole lot about Inaba's personal history. There's been more focus on Iori and Yui in that regard, unless I'm forgetting something.
But Inaba said herself she didn't have any trauma. Maybe it's a bad adaption case or the way it was handled, but it felt really cheap. Inaba is my favorite character in this anime, and she has an interesting personality - which is exactly why I'm so disappointed.
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 11:21   Link #699
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:

Really? You really think that viewing everybody else as your enemy is no big deal? You really think that feeling like you can't trust anybody is not a significant problem? There's two words for what Inaba has: Extremely. Paranoid.

It's particularly alarming for a teenager to be like this, imo. For Inaba's sake, I hope she gets over it at some point.

And if this episode was just an exercise in comedy, then that's an awfully long lead-up to one joke.
"Extremely paranoid" is a bit strong. She simply has trust issues, like a lot of people. I do too, that's why I thought her issues were not a big deal, especially since she is a teenager. She was just blowing everything out of proportion, as teenagers often tend to. She's actually pretty normal imo, maybe the most normal of the cast. I find Taichi's need to white knight more worrisome.
Old 2012-07-30, 11:43   Link #700
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
"Extremely paranoid" is a bit strong. She simply has trust issues, like a lot of people. I do too, that's why I thought her issues were not a big deal, especially since she is a teenager.
Teenagers have no choice but to rely on adults in their day-to-day lives. Many adults can be entirely self-sufficient if they want to be, and not rely on anybody. Teenagers generally don't have that option, which is why I find this sort of active distrust particularly worrisome for a teenager. There really ought to be at least one adult figure in Inaba's life (be it a mother, a father, an Uncle, an Aunt, etc...) that she feels that she can trust.

The issue isn't that Inaba only trusts a few people. That would be normal. Most people are selective about who they put trust in. But to not trust anybody? To view everybody else as your enemy (and that's Inaba's own choice of words, that she keeps going back to, so it's coming off to me as more than random hyperbole)?

That's a really serious issue, in my opinion.

Taichi's desire to help his friends is what's normal, imo. It's not like he's going out of his way to help complete strangers. What's strange about a guy wanting to help out his four closest friends?

The way he's doing it is a bit odd, but the motivation itself isn't.

Tags
body swapping, comedy, drama, romance, shounen, slice of life