AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2013-09-12, 00:38   Link #1
isamu99

Anime and VLC player

I have recently started watching anime on my PC for the first time in over 5 years. I have chosen VLC as my player of choice and all I can say is

I honestly can't believe how good VLC makes anime look with just the slightest tweaks here and there under the "video and effects" settings. I have a BENQ W6000 DLP front projector and even on my 110" screen, the image is nothing short of SPECTACULAR!!! And get this....VLC makes anime DVDs that I even bought over 12 years ago look like they were released this year! Exactly what kind of magic are the VLC developers sprinkling into this software player that's making anime dvds look this good? Some anime TV series on dvd that came out back in 1998 look like they can pass for BluRay!!! Here's a shot of Bubblegum Crisis 2040(the original ADV release, not the re-release).

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Mind you, this is from a dvd that was released back in 1999!! These pics don't do what I see on my projector justice. They actually look better and more crisp while VLC is running. Unbelievable. I seriously can't understand what VLC is doing to make my anime dvds look this good! My Playstation 3, as a stand alone dvd player is a straight up JOKE in comparison to VLC.

Jaw is dropped to the floor. If Bubblegum Crisis looks this good, I can only imagine what the remastered versions of Cowboy Bebop will look like....*drools* :shock:

Last edited by NightWish; 2013-09-12 at 04:19.
Old 2013-09-12, 00:42   Link #2
monster

Is the quality as good with VLC's default setting? If not, then you probably have your answer.
Old 2013-09-12, 02:25   Link #3
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Artifacts. Artifacts everywhere!

I can also see some vertical lines on the left side of images 2 and 3 (not sure if that's aliasing). It's stuff like this that keeps me far, far away from VLC Player. Try Media Player Classic with Combined Community Codec Pack (search CCCP). I have an Optoma HD20 projector for showings. The result is flawless. I highly recommend trying CCCP out, especially with the modern anime (you can smoothly run the 1080p Humanity Has Declined OP from a USB 2.0 flash drive - the hell kind of sorcery is that!?!?). By the way, the Bebop Blu-Rays are literally to die for.

Last edited by Dante of the Inferno; 2013-09-12 at 02:28. Reason: Clarified the OP native resolution
Old 2013-09-12, 14:18   Link #4
isamu99

I already use MPC-HC regularly but it's an outdated version so I'll give this CCCCCP gimmick a gander. Also heard there's something called SVP that is a must for accompanying MPC.
Old 2013-09-14, 18:45   Link #5
Drkz
( ゚∀゚)アハハ八八ノヽノヽノヽノ \ / \/

Quote:
Originally Posted by isamu99 View Post
I already use MPC-HC regularly but it's an outdated version so I'll give this CCCCCP gimmick a gander. Also heard there's something called SVP that is a must for accompanying MPC.
Or you could use http://haruhichan.com/forum/showthre...aii-Codec-Pack KCP. KCP doesn't use haali anymore. Plus haali likes breaking stuff.
Old 2013-09-15, 14:03   Link #6
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Media Player Classic 32-bit with CCCP works wonders. If you have a good enough computer, try grabbing the madVR renderer and setting your MPC to play off of that. Fullscreen makes a world of difference.
Old 2013-09-16, 13:17   Link #7
isamu99

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Media Player Classic 32-bit with CCCP works wonders. If you have a good enough computer, try grabbing the madVR renderer and setting your MPC to play off of that. Fullscreen makes a world of difference.
Yeah, that's what I've been doing. I've been experimenting with tweaking all kinds of settings using a combination of MPC-HC, FFDShow, MadVR, LAV Decoder, and SVP. I have to say, MADVR can deliver a STUNNING picture!! I can't tell you how ridiculous Bubblegum Crisis(the *ORIGINAL* ADV release) looks! Almost BD-like in some shots. However, MVR is a serious resource hog and will bring all but the highest end PC rigs to their knees on max settings. Ditto SVP to a certain extent.

Right now I'm watching Now and Then, Here and There on dvd and boy, CPM sure did a terrible job with this transfer. Aliasing everywhere and not even MadVR can save it. Interestingly enough I went back to VLC for this show and it actually looks better than on MPC.