AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2014-10-05, 00:10   Link #1
Flame-X
Anti-fan

Animes with beautiful night landscapes

Can anyone please suggest me some animes with lots of beautiful landscape shots aside from the Shinkai movies? Preferably shown at night with the character looking up at the moon. I'm sure there's many out there but I'm drawing blanks right now.

Last edited by Flame-X; 2014-10-05 at 00:22.
Flame-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-05, 08:26   Link #2
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
I just checked your anime list so I have a suggestion for you.

Ahem:

Why don't you give Sora No Manimani, Sora no Woto, and Letter Bee shot? The reason for my selections are:

The main theme to Sora no Manimani is astronomy. So you'll most likely see really pretty night landscape shots from time to time.

Sora no Woto is about a young trumpeteer stationed at a military base. There's not many night landscape shots, but the few that were present in this series were really colorful and neat to look at.

Letter Bee's setting is in a world of perpetual night (Never ending night). There's not a moon, but there's a artificial sun. There will be plenty of landscapes and areas that will probably fit to your liking.

My choices could be off, but those are the one's that came to the top of my head when it comes to me trying to pertain to your request. So what do you think?
Old 2014-10-05, 10:47   Link #3
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I think Bungaku Shoujo has some scenes that fit what you're looking for.

So does Madoka Magica: Rebellion (though you'd want to watch the first two PMMM movies and/or the Madoka Magica TV series before going into that).

Kara no Kyoukai's main appeals are the excellent action scenes and the darker atmosphere/tone, but it also has very good scenery, IIRC.
Old 2014-10-05, 21:22   Link #4
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame-X View Post
Can anyone please suggest me some animes with lots of beautiful landscape shots aside from the Shinkai movies? Preferably shown at night with the character looking up at the moon. I'm sure there's many out there but I'm drawing blanks right now.
Hanasaku Iroha had some gorgeous landscapes. I remember being astounded by the first episode.

Aria of course. That's the old standard for beautiful landscape anime. Surprised it wasn't already mentioned. Of course, finding a HD version is a bit difficult without buying the DVDs.

Honey and Clover had that bike scene.

A Certain Scientific Railgun
has some incredible city shots.

Last Exile had some terrific landscape shots.

I seem to remember Red Data Girl having some good landscapes, so did Spice and Wolf.

Maison Ikkoku is a much older animation style, but they did some really impressive things with light and shadow. Especially in the later seasons.

Inuyasha certainly had a lot of landscapes, some of them were good.

Most Kyoto Animation shows have good background animation: Clannad, Haruhi, K-On. It's not the focus, but there should be at least one or two gorgeous shots for each of those shows.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-05, 21:24   Link #5
Amarantine

Mushishi is filled to the brim with them.
Amarantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-05, 21:38   Link #6
Flame-X
Anti-fan

Thanks yall! I've seen some of the ones mentioned but may have forgotten they had 'em. I'll check out the others. Very much appreciated!
Old 2014-10-08, 04:54   Link #7
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

I don't know about you but I absolutely loved the landscape of Sankarea, especially the shots that include the gardens. The story might have turned out less than great, visually, it was beautiful.
Old 2014-10-08, 12:53   Link #8
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Tari Tari is also beautifully rendered and might be worth your while, although I don't think there are moments under a moon's light.
Old 2014-10-12, 09:46   Link #9
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
Yeah, go watch Mushishi.... You wont find anything like it. I´ve tried.
Natsume Yuujinchou has some good scenery too. Seirei no moribito also.
CeDeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-12, 18:26   Link #10
tenkenX6
Undead Fansub TL/TLC
*Fansubber

The Studio Ghibli movies usually have breathtaking landscapes, especially in My Neighbor Totoro, Princess Mononoke, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Laputa, and Kiki's Delivery Service. Also, The Vision of Escaflowne TV series has really nice landscapes.
Old 2014-10-13, 15:41   Link #11
RichardFromMarple

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkenX6 View Post
The Studio Ghibli movies usually have breathtaking landscapes, especially in My Neighbor Totoro, Princess Mononoke, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Laputa, and Kiki's Delivery Service. Also, The Vision of Escaflowne TV series has really nice landscapes.
TV Tropes uses the term Ghibli Hills for a forested mountainous terrain, as they are common in Studio Ghibli's films.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GhibliHills
RichardFromMarple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-14, 02:56   Link #12
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
I just remembered that the anime series Gingutsune has wonderful night time scenes and moon animation as well...am remembering eps 4-6 in particular. There are plenty of good forested landscapes as well - the MC lives in a shrine on top of a forested hill, but I remember them especially in the first few eps.

Since shrines and temples feature pretty prominently there is also a lot of care into animating older style Japanese architecture and even some Shinto religious garb and festivals (not just mikos, though they are present as welll).

Not sure if the series as a whole would be your thing, but those eps mentioned above might work for you. I thought the series was absolutely stupendous as a whole....
Old 2014-10-14, 09:47   Link #13
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Anything from PA Works.

Hanasaku Iroha and Tari Tari in particular.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-05, 21:09   Link #14
blood-doll-aishiteru

ghibli movies, makoto shinkai movies, ef a tale of series (ef a tale of memories and ef a tale of melodies)
blood-doll-aishiteru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-05, 21:16   Link #15
DOmus
天国無事故
*Artist

Maybe No game No life, i liked all the mix of colors and structures of the places they went
shigatsu wa kimi no uso, really beautiful landscaoes and backgrounds