AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2010-05-24, 18:09   Link #3481
User89254
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelP View Post
I just started the first novel, after seeing all of the anime, and I'm starting to wonder if Kyon isn't as normal as he says he is. Haruhi is supposed to be omnipotent, without realizing it, but what if Kyon has power and doesn't realize it? He says he doesn't like being dragged around by Haruhi, but he was disappointed with the mundane world at the beginning of the story, and Haruhi conveniently fixed that problem and Kyon doesn't try to escape. Kyon is also coincidentally the only supposedly normal person Haruhi takes much interest in, though she doesn't know that the others aren't normal.
Congrats for coming up with the theory about a million people have already come up with.

Also, Kyon does have something that interests Haruhi – being John Smith. “Have I met you before?”
User89254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-24, 23:10   Link #3482
TheHaruhiIncarnate
Goddess

Aw man! Read that excerpt from thw 10th book. It's frikin crazy!!! I can't wait for the whole thing to be out!

F**k Moe
Embrace Tsundere
TheHaruhiIncarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-25, 02:31   Link #3483
baltakatei

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsterSelene View Post
Congrats for coming up with the theory about a million people have already come up with.

Also, Kyon does have something that interests Haruhi – being John Smith. “Have I met you before?”
To quote tvtropes' Wild Man Guessing page for Haruhi:
Spoiler for (an unforgivable dive into speculation which, I will have you know, disqualifies this post from providing solid evidence of anything):
Old 2010-05-25, 05:20   Link #3484
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltakatei View Post
Spoiler for (an unforgivable dive into speculation which, I will have you know, disqualifies this post from providing solid evidence of anything):
All this theory doesn't change one major fact; if Kyon is the real god, then he ceased to be Kyon.
He will no longer be one of US, someone we can relate to. Someone who thinks like us, talks like us, and have nothing but his wits to beat back those more powerful than he... and succeeding.

If he has god powers the story would be ruined. KYON would be ruined.

Everything he did would be a lie. All his triumphs would just be mere games. Nothing he did up to this point would have mattered. He didn't earn any of his victory's at all.

The story is more important, above all. And for the story to work, Kyon needs to be a normal human.
Old 2010-05-25, 07:24   Link #3485
TheHaruhiIncarnate
Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
All this theory doesn't change one major fact; if Kyon is the real god, then he ceased to be Kyon.
He will no longer be one of US, someone we can relate to. Someone who thinks like us, talks like us, and have nothing but his wits to beat back those more powerful than he... and succeeding.

If he has god powers the story would be ruined. KYON would be ruined.

Everything he did would be a lie. All his triumphs would just be mere games. Nothing he did up to this point would have mattered. He didn't earn any of his victory's at all.

The story is more important, above all. And for the story to work, Kyon needs to be a normal human.
Whole Heartedly Agreed. I'm don't believe Kyon's a God.

F**k Moe
Embrace Tsundere
TheHaruhiIncarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-25, 09:02   Link #3486
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHaruhiIncarnate View Post
To make my view more clear, it is certainly possible Kyon is a God. The same way it is possible for Haruhi to decapitate Mikuru and split-roast her corpse over a fire in book 10.

But in both cases, it will completely screw with the entire setup of the franchise.

You could say I believe in the author?
Old 2010-05-25, 09:08   Link #3487
s07195
However,

Does anyone else think that Kyon is the Tanigawa Nagaru? If the events, like shown in the video of the security camera (commercial for season 2) take place in 2007/7/7 and he had a three year hiatus...
Oh Haruhi, I may have just lost my music mind.
Old 2010-05-25, 09:25   Link #3488
PastPrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHaruhiIncarnate View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
To make my view more clear, it is certainly possible Kyon is a God. The same way it is possible for Haruhi to decapitate Mikuru and split-roast her corpse over a fire in book 10.

But in both cases, it will completely screw with the entire setup of the franchise.

You could say I believe in the author?
If I had to chose the most likely prospect, other than Haruhi, as God, I would pick Tsuruya. She is obviously not as normal as she claims. She sets on the sidelines, enjoying the action, and egging Haruhi on when things get too slow. She seems to know what is really happening and she is entirely to quick to claim that she, like Kyon, is a normal human.
PastPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-25, 10:17   Link #3489
Joe4evr
(Ex-)Seitenkan VN coder

Location: Slightly south-west of the exact center of this country's X and Y axes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by s07195 View Post
Does anyone else think that Kyon is the Tanigawa Nagaru? If the events, like shown in the video of the security camera (commercial for season 2) take place in 2007/7/7 and he had a three year hiatus...
Oh Haruhi, I may have just lost my music mind.
Not too long ago, this was actually suspected because of the seating arrangement when they just started their first year. Given Kyon's location at the time, his name should either start with 'Ta' or something else...
Joe4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-25, 11:29   Link #3490
Yumeka
Anime fan/Pokemon trainer

Quote:
Spoiler:

~ Yumeka ~
Mainichi Anime Yume - my blog
Yumeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-25, 13:15   Link #3491
jasper222

Well, I'm new to this part of the forums. So please have mercy on me. I've been lurking here since 2006. But whatever, here goes my first post.

In my first post, I have some things to address:
Spoiler for Haruhi:

Thanks for listening to my drivel.
jasper222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-25, 20:00   Link #3492
Idiot Bookman /SIG

I would read the novel of Suzumiya Haruhi. No doubt about it but the covers I would hide...you know why? Because I don't like it..haha..
Idiot Bookman /SIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-25, 21:39   Link #3493
keri
ねぇ、知ってる?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiot Bookman /SIG View Post
I would read the novel of Suzumiya Haruhi. No doubt about it but the covers I would hide...you know why? Because I don't like it..haha..
You don't like the Noizi Ito covers, you mean?

(I'm not entirely sure I understand what "I don't like it" is referring to, which is why I ask. I'm not a big fan of the illustrated covers myself - I like her illustrations, but the covers are kind of boring while simultaneously feeling gaudy to me.)
keri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-26, 00:27   Link #3494
Joe4evr
(Ex-)Seitenkan VN coder

Location: Slightly south-west of the exact center of this country's X and Y axes.
Personally, I love Noizi Ito's covers, but if you do't like them, you can always get the paperback instead.
Joe4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-26, 16:30   Link #3495
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper222 View Post
Well, I'm new to this part of the forums. So please have mercy on me. I've been lurking here since 2006. But whatever, here goes my first post.

In my first post, I have some things to address:
Spoiler for Haruhi:

Thanks for listening to my drivel.
Holy crap. I've never thought about the
Spoiler for :
situation like that..But now that you mention it I'm kind of in agreement with you.
Welcome, btw
AmyElizzabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-27, 01:02   Link #3496
ijuinkun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe4evr View Post
Not too long ago, this was actually suspected because of the seating arrangement when they just started their first year. Given Kyon's location at the time, his name should either start with 'Ta' or something else...
IIRC, the students were being seated in order of their names. Since Kyon was seated in front of Haruhi, that implies that his name comes before her in the alphabetical or Kana order. In Japanese, T comes right after S, which comes right after K, and the vowels are in the order A, I, U, E, O, so Kyon's surname very likely starts with a K or with Sa/Shi/Su.
ijuinkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-27, 02:19   Link #3497
FDW
Zettai Ryouiki Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
IIRC, the students were being seated in order of their names. Since Kyon was seated in front of Haruhi, that implies that his name comes before her in the alphabetical or Kana order. In Japanese, T comes right after S, which comes right after K, and the vowels are in the order A, I, U, E, O, so Kyon's surname very likely starts with a K or with Sa/Shi/Su.
I remember a line in disappearance said by Kyon when he was looking Haruhi's name in the student register (in the Baka Tsuki translation, before they took it down.) that went something along the line of "Between Senou and Suzuki". I'm not exactly sure if that was the exact wording though.
FDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-27, 04:26   Link #3498
baltakatei

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDW View Post
I remember a line in disappearance said by Kyon when he was looking Haruhi's name in the student register (in the Baka Tsuki translation, before they took it down.) that went something along the line of "Between Senou and Suzuki". I'm not exactly sure if that was the exact wording though.
Hmm... this point again.

Spoiler for Detailed explanation of Japanese alphabetical ordering:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
From the description I gave in the above spoiler tag, the surnames of the girls who sit in front of and behind Kyon do not affect Kyon's seating position. It is the boys' surnames before and after Kyon that matter (namely, Sakaki in front and Taniguchi behind him). Like I discussed in the space-saving spoiler box above, Kyon's surname can be anything like Sato, Sugiyama, Tachibana, Takahashi, Tanaka, or Tanigawa (as long as his name fits between "Sakaki" and "Taniguchi")

Last edited by baltakatei; 2010-05-27 at 04:48. Reason: addressing previous quote.
baltakatei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-27, 14:09   Link #3499
FDW
Zettai Ryouiki Lover

Quote:
Hmm... this point again.

Spoiler for Detailed explanation of Japanese alphabetical ordering:

From the description I gave in the above spoiler tag, the surnames of the girls who sit in front of and behind Kyon do not affect Kyon's seating position. It is the boys' surnames before and after Kyon that matter (namely, Sakaki in front and Taniguchi behind him). Like I discussed in the space-saving spoiler box above, Kyon's surname can be anything like Sato, Sugiyama, Tachibana, Takahashi, Tanaka, or Tanigawa (as long as his name fits between "Sakaki" and "Taniguchi")
Oh, thanks for explaining that scene, I see your point there.
FDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-28, 16:54   Link #3500
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper222 View Post
Spoiler for Haruhi:
Spoiler for teh lulz:

Tags
shounen, sneaker bunko, seinen, light novels, manga