AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-05-14, 22:22   Link #2081
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
Thanks for the ideas. I might post some replays once I figure out how to export them from the beta client ._.

It seems the key is to apply pressure from the early game and continue to harass him with whatever means possible while keeping a constant flow of units and teching your base at the same time. Easier said than done though lol. Also from what I heard (from gold/platinum players) Protoss is pretty much unrushable but personally I never really tried to rush them over. And are you serious about floating your barracks over o_o. A Stalker or two shoot it down quite quickly and wouldn't you rather use it to build units D:

Never had cannon rushes used against me, my walloff usually denies their scouts unless they send it super early and I'm fairly confident about holding off cheese. That's what I believe but I just had a talk with a toss player and he made me unsure about that argh. On the other hand I really really don't want to use cheese myself. I believe it's cheap (6 pool on Steppes of War is the lamest thing ever) to do so while it annoys me more to lose I'd rather go standard build that cheese.
Replays are auto saved in your documents folder. If you look at Documents, you'll see a folder called Starcraft II beta, then work your way into replays, and then recent.

As for the scouting barracks, you use it in place of scan. A mule gets you about 270 minerals every time you use it because of its fast mining rate. So because of the mineral boost from hammering down so many mules, you can afford to build another barracks. Also stalkers take a few years to shoot down a barracks, so it's way more longer lasting than scan.

Which is why I said extra barracks. If you normally run off 3 of them, then you'd build a 4th one when you can afford it. Meanwhile, just keep muling away.

IMO, that's just vastly superior to using scan early game-- if you don't scan the right spot for his tech you'll miss it. And the less minerals you get for not using mule means you're less likely to fight off whatever he has anyways. Later on, when he has enough antiair to easily kill your raxes, then you'll have to use scan.

Protoss is largely invulnerable to Terran rushes due to the stupidity of force field, but you can still use aggression to pin him down or punish him for being greedy. If he keeps bottling himself up, you could also expand. Reaper harass is also something that works against people, though I noticed newer players getting way too enthusiastic with it.

In any case, I think it's a bad idea to allow Protoss to do whatever he pleases, so there's gotta be some kind of pressure. So you are right.

Vs a 6 pool you're gonna have to cancel any scvs or refinery, or stop mining gas; don't build an orbital command and fill in the wall+ get marines. On a 2 player map where cheese is the worst, you should scout it in time. If for whatever reason you can't build a wall, build a bunker against your command center and use scvs to fight the zerglings til you get a marine up. Your depot will get owned, but that's not too bad.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-15, 02:00   Link #2082
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Replays are auto saved in your documents folder. If you look at Documents, you'll see a folder called Starcraft II beta, then work your way into replays, and then recent.

As for the scouting barracks, you use it in place of scan. A mule gets you about 270 minerals every time you use it because of its fast mining rate. So because of the mineral boost from hammering down so many mules, you can afford to build another barracks. Also stalkers take a few years to shoot down a barracks, so it's way more longer lasting than scan.

Which is why I said extra barracks. If you normally run off 3 of them, then you'd build a 4th one when you can afford it. Meanwhile, just keep muling away.

IMO, that's just vastly superior to using scan early game-- if you don't scan the right spot for his tech you'll miss it. And the less minerals you get for not using mule means you're less likely to fight off whatever he has anyways. Later on, when he has enough antiair to easily kill your raxes, then you'll have to use scan.

Protoss is largely invulnerable to Terran rushes due to the stupidity of force field, but you can still use aggression to pin him down or punish him for being greedy. If he keeps bottling himself up, you could also expand. Reaper harass is also something that works against people, though I noticed newer players getting way too enthusiastic with it.

In any case, I think it's a bad idea to allow Protoss to do whatever he pleases, so there's gotta be some kind of pressure. So you are right.

Vs a 6 pool you're gonna have to cancel any scvs or refinery, or stop mining gas; don't build an orbital command and fill in the wall+ get marines. On a 2 player map where cheese is the worst, you should scout it in time. If for whatever reason you can't build a wall, build a bunker against your command center and use scvs to fight the zerglings til you get a marine up. Your depot will get owned, but that's not too bad.
One thing I realise about Reapers are that they are excellent, if not imba harassment units. Fast, effective, and with the D8 charges they can be really annoying to unprotected resource gatherers who think that the terrain is their natural defence.

It is obvious that the commando team won't have a high chance of returning with at least 2 alive, that's why the Starcraft background story states that the Reaper Corps "never had one who survived more than six months".

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-15, 04:00   Link #2083
Who

Think I got the scouting down against the zerg players, especially if they try and mass zerglings ever since I took everyone's advice into account. Hellions are retardedly strong against them and it's so much fun practicing micro against the queens.

On the other hand, I hate playing against protoss. I go the bio build but although marauders/siege tanks are supposed to be decent counters against stalkers, it buys enough time for him to mass void rays. I dunno if I'm not applying enough pressure but I do scout enough with the extra Orb Command from expansions to see them coming up. I do mass marines also with the combat shields and the +1 weapons upgrade but I dunno. I'll go with what Archon said above, but are there any other tips? I'm thinking about sneaking a ghost or two in there and experiment with EMP although my micro isn't anywhere near good. Maybe practice gretorps fast ghost build against the computer until I know what I'm doing.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-15, 08:35   Link #2084
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Old 2010-05-15, 13:45   Link #2085
Aird

TvP, ghosts are a must. For the most part don't waste your time building anything from the factory against protoss. Charge, Blink, immortals just shred any units built from the factory. MMM ball plus ghosts and vikings is usually more than enough to beat a protoss player. If he goes carriers, you get battle cruisers. You can squeeze in banshees to harrass.

Vikings are more than adequate against void rays. Just need to micro. Run away the one they are focus firing on while focus firing on there void ray. They are also very good counters for Colossus.

Stimpack, then emp away at there army. If he's going heavy sentries, either do drops or cloak your ghosts in and emp before you charge in with your army.

Edit:
Factory does have a use, build add ons for your other buildings or fly it around to scout.
Aird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-15, 13:50   Link #2086
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

So... when does this come out again? 5 more years? Damn Blizzard and their 10yr development cycles D8
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-15, 16:07   Link #2087
Edgewalker
Nani ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
So... when does this come out again? 5 more years? Damn Blizzard and their 10yr development cycles D8
Current official date is july 27th

In reality the beta is still full of bugs and balance still isn't totally perfected ( but it's damn close ). Tons of people still crash all the time for no good reason.

I would bet Christmas.
Edgewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-15, 16:08   Link #2088
PhoenixG
Hi-Eternal

from starcraft official site juli 27th
PhoenixG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-15, 21:24   Link #2089
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgewalker View Post
Current official date is july 27th

In reality the beta is still full of bugs and balance still isn't totally perfected ( but it's damn close ). Tons of people still crash all the time for no good reason.

I would bet Christmas.
Original Starcraft was full of bugs and had balance issues months and years after it was released. So I don't see the problem not shipping a perfect game. As long as it is continuously patched, they can sell the game on July 27th. They just had to finalise a few things, like the Ultralisk buff.

EDIT:
Just to explain, normally it is a bad thing if a game is released with bugs, because what often happens is that the problems stop being fixed when the sequel came out. Example: Total War series, where the Napoleon sequel production means the game makers simply gave up on patching the predecessor's bugs and told everyone to buy Napoleon instead.
StarCraft 2 won't have that problem, as the plan for two expansion packs means the patches for the game will be guaranteed for the next 5 years or so.

Last edited by Vallen Chaos Valiant; 2010-05-15 at 21:50.
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-15, 21:47   Link #2090
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

I don't trust Blizzard to meet their release dates unless it actually comes out. Blizzard is notorious for constant delays and release date changes.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-15, 22:30   Link #2091
Xacual

The release date did come out, July 27th is the for sure date. I mean if you go to any of their sites you'll see the giant splash page.

Have they said yet when they think the other campaigns will come out? I know originally they hoped for not too long between the release dates. Also Blizz has always been really good about keeping their games up to date. I mean Diablo2 had a patch like last year.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-16, 00:01   Link #2092
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

The biggest problem with the game right now is the balancing : the number of tactics are too linear, and it seems to form the ABCA chains like in the AOE and Supreme Commander series.

As for crashing, the programmers need to redebug the entire game and remove all the redundant lines implemented before.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-16, 22:35   Link #2093
ZeroForever

hmm most recent patch is super buggy... I've crashed 3 games in a row now this is getting kinda inane.
Old 2010-05-16, 23:45   Link #2094
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Beta is buggy? 3 crashes isnt much considering...
Old 2010-05-17, 05:32   Link #2095
Alaya
Counter Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Beta is buggy? 3 crashes isnt much considering...
It's still buggy. Crashes 5 times in a row today (causing me to drop from 10th to 23th) and considering that I've been crashing since I joined beta, it's sure super buggy

Madoka: This was the tale of magical girls whose wishes are pure and by them are driven to despair.
Alaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-17, 09:20   Link #2096
ZeroForever

oh i've crashed other times but usually there spaced aparted... when you get several in a row usually there's a notable issue with the game.
Old 2010-05-17, 09:34   Link #2097
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

As bbeta testers you should check if there is any crash log you can send back to Blizzard.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-17, 09:53   Link #2098
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
To be honest I haven't run into many problems of crashing. There was that issue with trying to close the game from that earlier patch, but that seems resolved. The other case was when my internet had issues while in a match. I think the beta has been pretty stable personally. Though obviously different people will have different experiences.
Old 2010-05-17, 12:25   Link #2099
ZeroForever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
As bbeta testers you should check if there is any crash log you can send back to Blizzard.
the Beta automatically generates a crash log (at least mine does) which you can review/submit to blizzard.
Old 2010-05-17, 19:51   Link #2100
Lostdreams

GG to Nony in the HDH! No! Nony! No! Don't try to play a macro game with Idra... You can't win vs a macro zerg straight up
Lostdreams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blizzard, starcraft, windows