AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-01-27, 18:37   Link #81
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

That was a good series, and as i said before in other threads (for it's genre) it should probably get some considerations for best new anime series...Besides the story being very mature, having really likable characters, and good at giving the audience emotional payoffs...It simply has great production...The animation style, the CG usage, background art, the music, and quirky symbolism (like those animals that are found lurking around the city), are all exceptional...

Jumping into this series i really didn't know what to expect...Watching a series I thought would focus around the fashion world was somewhat of a leap for me...What made me want to watch this show (Besides a great write-up on it in NEWTYPE and on the creative noitamina anime block) was the animation and character designs that I thought were great...What I got was a show that hardley dives into the fashion-world like it dives into the perceptions of life and the choices that make our life what it is...The fashion aspect of this show really was a superficial blanket covering a very immersive "coming of age" love//life story...

In the end was this story rushed? Rushed yes...perhaps, but if you think about this series on whole, the one thing Paradise Kiss did (although it's very subtle) is that it transitions scenes as rapidly and deliberatly as any anime I can ever really remember...In a typical episode of Parakiss there's probably about 20 short, concise scenes...Something relevant happens then we see the cute little flowers or stuff-animals transition us to next mini-scene...So you get a feel that alot is being accomplish in the span of one episode...The final episode wasn't much different as it was jam-packed with about as much you could fit in one episode...I too admit that the benefit of perhaps one more episode may have been worth it...But I didn't feel like the final episode was really out of character for the series on whole...

As for Yukari and George they both changed each others future and proceeded with that new future...I too was dissapointed they didn't remain together and George seems to be almost "too wise" for his own good (I mean c'mon dude your 18...you can make mistakes and sacrifice for love)...But this story was always about hard choices...George went from being a total pimp to a basketcase over love and wound up giving up what he loved the most for his future...Yukari really grew on me and it was good to see that her personality really went full circle in this anime...By the final episode the personality we saw in her from episode 1 was still the same as she clutched George's arm after seeing Kaori being the typical possesive girlfriend...Eventhough she changed alot she's still a smug brat deep down and i dig it...

The only problems I had with this anime is probably the whole Isabella-George situation...Not that I have that huge of a problem with it...I respect whatever the intent of the creator is, but i just don't think seeing Isabella's scene as a child (the crucial parts) was vitally needed...Showing that back-story thru the eyes of children bothered me a little bit, but it wasn't enuff to detract any enjoyment i had for this series and it didn't detratct Isabella's future as she went after her dream ...There were also some random characters like George's Mom and Dad and the fashion school teacher and Kaori that were a bit too underdeveloped and had potential, but got axe'd in the time-crunch (Yukari's mom perhaps should have got some more scenes aswell)...

I was hoping the ending would be an open-ended type of story that gave us potential for a new series, but I guess that's it and it's over forever ...I would have loved to have seen a follow up series based on Yukari and her career and life circumstances (with ofcourse ~Kawaii Miwako~, Arashi, and Hiro-kun as main characters in her life), but we get closure (Too much closure)...I too thought perhaps her fiancee' was Hiro-kun but wasn't sure...Why in the world didn't they include that in the anime? That would have been true and symbolic closure...I'm puzzled by why they would leave that out...Anyways thanks for reading all this (hope you did ) and I know many are dissapointed or bewildered a bit by the ending, but don't let that lessen your appreciation for what was really a "different and creative" anime focusing on life and love...

Play me off-stage Arashi...

thanks inuyasha-fansubs...
Old 2006-02-02, 20:53   Link #82
Argent

Thanks for the Manga synopsis, it really fleshes out some things and confirms some things I suspected would happen. George was way too nice in the Anime compared to Manga George and it makes me think that the Anime was relying on knowledge of the Manga to fill in story details. Because without that knowledge, the final episode really makes you feel like George was her true love that she couldn't be with. The exact opposite conclusion of the Manga.

I like that ParaKiss' ending basically broke down to the two factions of old friends supporting each other for life. Isabella went with George, she being the only one who really understands him. The rest stay together as two couples, close friends making one extended family.
Argent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-03, 12:33   Link #83
koishii

Send a message via MSN to koishii
In the final episode, is it hinted at Tokumori being her fiancé? I read this, but I didn't catch anything... Is that how it ends up in the manga?
koishii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-03, 16:43   Link #84
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
Exclamation See:

Quote:
Originally Posted by koishii
In the final episode, is it hinted at Tokumori being her fiancé? I read this, but I didn't catch anything... Is that how it ends up in the manga?
See page four of this thread, Mytrivo explains what happens in the manga.
It cleared up a lot of things for me.

Spoiler:
aliensporebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-05, 22:10   Link #85
misakichii

first of all i want to thank kaoru chujo and mytrivo for replying.

although i just read it right now (since i only come here a little now and then) and already watched the anime. but still it was really nice of you two.

so then i just watched ep. 1-5 and i like it lot, not love but like. i find it somewhat devasting about how she left home and the way george act towards her. i'm debating with myself if he's actin' right or not. i hate his attitude sometimes too.

well i think the anime is good overall. i love those yukari and george love scene. it's so cute! i can't wait to watch the rest of the anime. it's really good. i'm glad i gave it a shot.

oh and how many ep there really are? i thought that there were only 12 ep but i be hearing that there are 13 ep so i'm totally lost now.
misakichii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-06, 08:43   Link #86
Rion
Ramune~

It is 12 episodes only. (Although I think it might have helped a lot if there were 13 )
Rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-06, 21:32   Link #87
misakichii

yeah i think so too. i just scanned through the last ep a while ago and i absolutey did not like the ending at all. and i especially don't like the ending even more after watching ep 6. i just can't believe that it ended like that.

was that how it ended in the manga too?
misakichii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-07, 23:53   Link #88
Isamu Daisen

I liked this anime very much eventhough it was somewhat rushed compared to Honey & Clover, Parakiss' predecessor. Only 12 episodes. sigh. Anyway, it is still definitely worth watching considering the good storyline and nice animation.

Does anyone know what new anime will replace Paradise Kiss in its time slot in Fuji TV??? I hope it will be as good and rich as the two completed series i've mentioned above.

Isamu
Isamu Daisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-08, 03:53   Link #89
wao
OK.

It's Ayakashi~Classic Japanese Horror~. Unfortunately I don't think it's anywhere as good as the last 2 shows.
Old 2006-02-08, 04:49   Link #90
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
It's Ayakashi~Classic Japanese Horror~. Unfortunately I don't think it's anywhere as good as the last 2 shows.
Unfortunately, since Ayakashi is in a slot that has been used for romance anime (Honey & Clover followed by Paradise Kiss), it just isn't hitting the right market. Personally, I like it, but as a noitamina show, it just doesn't fit. In another time-slot, it would be much more appreciated.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-13, 18:10   Link #91
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

I wonder what the ratings were for Parakiss and does this anime-block have a snowflakes chance in hell of staying around...

Anyways...NSW how do you get Japanese TV?
Old 2006-02-13, 18:33   Link #92
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness
I wonder what the ratings were for Parakiss and does this anime-block have a snowflakes chance in hell of staying around...

One obvious solution is to live in Japan. Other than that, there are a few satellite channels that can be picked up in other countries.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-02-13, 18:36   Link #93
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^And you're saying you have that? If so I might wanna get it...
Old 2006-02-13, 18:52   Link #94
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Nope. I never said that I have a means of receiving Japanese TV shows.

Old 2006-02-14, 20:22   Link #95
EricMontreal22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness

I believe they weren;'t as good as Honey and Clover but were still much higher than such a late night block usually gets--some of them are posted earlier in this thread (I think...)

Noitamina block is still around with the current horror show Akiyoshi. I believe that runs through March--I can't help wondering if the planned anime based on Nana (by Paradise Kiss' Ai Yazawa) will follow since it's planned for April and definetly is aimed at the same joesi audience as these past shows--being even more honest about sex and growing up after h school than ParaKiss I think

E
EricMontreal22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-25, 04:53   Link #96
Zappster

Just finished watching paradise kiss myself as well as a few other shows(honey and clover being one of them ). It was a great series, although if you guy's hadn't said anything I wouldn't have known it was rushed(except maybe the Arashi - Miwako thing in the last episode). Some scenes were just fantastic, such as the scene that's been mentioned a few times at the start of the fashion show and that whole fashion show was handled really well. The music, the dress, the walk, pretty much everything was spot on. Perhaps I should check out the manga as I'm interested in the whole Miwako-Arashi relationship.

Spoiler:

As a whole I enjoyed the series but I preferred Honey and Clover over this show. I think in part because I knew where Takemoto was coming from and he was very much like myself at one point in my life, with myself having much the same thoughts that he expressed in the show. His character really struck a chord with me and was perhaps my favourite character in the show. I also enjoyed the comedy a lot more in H&C and I'm a big fan of that. Plus it had Takahashi Mikako doing some fantastic VA work

One last thing, I'd like some help in identifying some songs played in the background in paradise kiss. Firstly episode1 it's pretty much quite audible at around 06:33 from A-FF&F-Bs subs version. Just after Caroline wakes up in the atelier. Also ep2 of paradise kiss at around 19:10 onwards in A-FF&F-Bs version is another song I'd like to know the name of. It's pretty audible from around 19:19 I think. I'm not sure if it's the same song as they both do sound similar. Yes I know there is a specific thread for it but I've tried and had no reply. I thought I might have more of a chance in this thread with some of the more knowledgeable ParaKiss fans.
Zappster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-26, 23:30   Link #97
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Gokinjou Monogatari 01 fansub

Inuyasha Forever Fansubs has brought out episode 1 of Gokinjou Monogatari (Neighborhood Story), the 1995 anime of an Yazawa Ai manga. It takes place about ten years before ParaKiss and gives deep background on Miwako and Arashi (actually mainly on Mikako and Tsutomu). But be warned: for better and worse, the style is totally different from ParaKiss.

Available directly from Inuyasha Forever Fansubs (thanks, guys) and at tokyotosho.com.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 02:13   Link #98
EricMontreal22

TGhanks for the heads up! I'm glad someone's finally doing Gokinjo though it's such a long series I won't hold my breath for seeing the end anytime soon
EricMontreal22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 13:16   Link #99
CasPar

Hello everyone !! I have something to ask about this animation. If I want only English subtitle of this animation where is website that I can find it.

Thank you very much.
CasPar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 18:13   Link #100
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasPar
Hello everyone !! I have something to ask about this animation. If I want only English subtitle of this animation where is website that I can find it.

Thank you very much.
Try this: http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/689.html

Tags
drama, noitamina, romance