AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2004-06-28, 19:34   Link #1
Krevnik
Kryptic Kynic

Help Design an Anime Tabletop Game

Last Status Update: July 20th, 2004

While I know the title may seem a little deceiving, I couldn't find any other short title to use.

I have a hobby of designing games (card games tend to dominate) and I am attempting to get a couple of games published. But, I can't just keep throwing games solely at the publishers. I decided to help myself by putting another game into my portfolio that is freely available.

<SNIP!>

Okay, I am going to do this differently, to make it a little more user-friendly

Here is what we are going to do, in steps...
I will keep this first post edited to reflect the current status of this experiment.

Current Status: First Rules Draft Posted

Yes, that is right, I have posted the rules. They can be found here.

You will notice the game got a little more generic, with the title 'Scum of the Galaxy' (working title, it could be better). This is because of the massive argument that grew over the legality of such a game, so I figured to help stop the flame war that started (and got a couple posts deleted), we will call it anime-inspired, but we all know where the idea came from and what it is being based on. This helps form a middle-ground somewhere, and since the rules are now available (in a very ROUGH form, omissions are pretty obvious, especially since the cards haven't entirely materialized yet), we can see the legality is much better than has been claimed so far.

No names or titles of anime shall be used in this game, although I very much want to keep it anime themed and keep the Beebop and Outlaw Star feel that I believe it should have. If we want to keep it entirely clean of copyright problems, people willing to do card art in an anime style or in 3D (for ships/vehicles/items only, these can also be hand-drawn), please post and let me know.

For now, postings on glaring omissions and confusion created in the rulebook are very welcome. I know there is a lot there, and help finding it is welcome.

Last edited by Krevnik; 2004-07-20 at 13:20. Reason: Status Update!
Krevnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-28, 19:45   Link #2
wnkryo
HainShodan

Do you have any of your work to download? A sample maby?
wnkryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-28, 19:57   Link #3
Krevnik
Kryptic Kynic

None of it is currently in a shape that I could post as a sample, unfortunately. A coupler are under review by publishers, others would take over a week of work to massage into a format I could post online, and others I simply lack the original data to massage because they were abandoned due to seriously flawed or bland game mechanics.

One of the goals of this is so that I *have* a public, free, downloadable sample that I can use to help my case with publishers, and have something the fans can have fun with.

Oh, and one of the goals of this little experiment is to see if I can throw together a prototype in 2 weeks. Considering I just successfully threw together a prototype (from concept to product to playtest and send to a publisher) in under 72 hours, and it plays well while needing some tweaks to numbers on individual cards, I am confident I can get a prototype in 2 weeks. The game will get polish after that through playtesting (where I have more time to focus on details).

Edit:

Quick update, two ideas have been brought to me (one from real life, another from another forum this is a part of)... and would like to post them here to get things started:

Idea 1: Azamanga Daioh
Play as a student attending classes with Chiyo, Tomo, and others through the 3 years of high school. The student with the best social/educational standing at the end of the 3 years wins.

Idea 2: Naruto
Play as a ninja employed by society. Compete with other players to complete missions first while various "Bad People" attempt to stop you and your friends. The first to complete a set number of missions gets promoted and wins.

Last edited by Krevnik; 2004-06-29 at 00:39.
Old 2004-07-01, 19:37   Link #4
Krevnik
Kryptic Kynic

Okay, here is the concept that was decided upon on another forum... feedback on this is appreciated.

Concept
Cowboy Beebop - Bounty Hunting Card Game (Working Title)

The players are the leaders of small bounty hunting groups. They will pay money to hire other bounty hunters and mercenaries to help catch bounties to bring in more money. Whenever a player runs out of money, they go bankrupt and are unable to continue hunting bounties. The last player left who still has money in the bank wins. Another way to win is to gain enough money to retire comfortably. The game is a card game with two decks: one deck is filled with bounty cards. These cards describe a bounty and the value, and how difficult the bounty is to capture. The other deck is used by the hunters who pay for cards to help them track down the bounties and keep their group afloat and eating ramen.
Old 2004-07-05, 06:17   Link #5
Remian

Yo, your ideas arer awesome and all, but you can't go making games out of Animes and Mangas. Why you ask....Unless you go to Japan, find the makers of the Manga/Anime, and sign a legal document with him/her, ITS ILLEGAL.

Sorry man, but stick to making original, straigt-from-da-mind ideas
Remian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-05, 08:39   Link #6
wnkryo
HainShodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remian
Yo, your ideas arer awesome and all, but you can't go making games out of Animes and Mangas. Why you ask....Unless you go to Japan, find the makers of the Manga/Anime, and sign a legal document with him/her, ITS ILLEGAL.

Sorry man, but stick to making original, straigt-from-da-mind ideas

Who cares?

Just keep doing what your doing and not listen to this legal crazyed guy because no one has stopped you yet or will stop you any time soon for making little games that probably will never even be publicly sold, and maby just make it to freeware.

I want to see a rorouni kenshin game!
Old 2004-07-05, 12:33   Link #7
Remian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnkryo
Who cares?

[/b]

Umm...He said that he was going to publish these games, well they cant BE published without a legal document saying he can. Look man, obviously you were cutting up peices of paper in shapes of cards and you realized "Hey, Im gonna make a game out of something copyrighted!!!" newsflash. YOU CANT!! you cant go making games based on Animes that are specifically copyrighted. Sheesh.
Old 2004-07-05, 12:34   Link #8
Remian

And in terms of "freeware" you cant go and give away your junk cause someones going to sell it

Giving your illegally published game out for free is illegal too. Give up. Make something new and original.
Old 2004-07-07, 18:09   Link #9
Krevnik
Kryptic Kynic

Quote:
And in terms of "freeware" you cant go and give away your junk cause someones going to sell it

Giving your illegally published game out for free is illegal too. Give up. Make something new and original.
Actually, I can give it away, as nobody can sell it. The game theme is copyrighted, and as you already said, the game cannot be sold without a license from the anime's copyright owner. The game mechanics are copyright, so the game cannot be sold without a license from the game's copyright owner. In essence, nobody can profit off of such a game without permission from two people, and good luck with that!

If I post a game for download (which can be considered publishing, more specifically, self-publishing) and specifically place it in the public domain with the proper legal disclaimers, legally, it is protected under fair use. There is enough precident to protect it, trust me. AMVs share the same sort of grey area but are not worth the time, and they would have an uphill battle.

While I have original ideas which I am also working on, they are specifically aimed at getting published, or aren't worth even showing in public (every game designer has a couple embarassing ideas, and no game designer gets everything published by a company). This idea is to put something simple and fun into the public domain for people to download/print. If anyone profits from it, it would be the company trying to sell the DVDs.
Old 2004-07-08, 05:59   Link #10
Remian

You said you were going to PUBLISH it.

Good luck on your flight to Japan

Good luck finding the Anime/Manga maker

Good luck getting him/her to sign a legal document stating you can use his/her characters and all his Anime/Manga mechanics in your little game

Good Luck finding the money to do so.

Look man, this is one of those dreams people come up with over night. They just wake up one day and say, "Hey I'm going to make a card game out of this cool show I watch on saturday!!!" Sure you can make it and show it to your little brother, but you wont make money off of it, you wont publish it, you wont advertise it!!!!

Look just give up.
Old 2004-07-08, 09:33   Link #11
wnkryo
HainShodan

Quote:
You said you were going to PUBLISH it.

Good luck on your flight to Japan

Good luck finding the Anime/Manga maker

Good luck getting him/her to sign a legal document stating you can use his/her characters and all his Anime/Manga mechanics in your little game

Good Luck finding the money to do so.

Look man, this is one of those dreams people come up with over night. They just wake up one day and say, "Hey I'm going to make a card game out of this cool show I watch on saturday!!!" Sure you can make it and show it to your little brother, but you wont make money off of it, you wont publish it, you wont advertise it!!!!

Look just give up.

Can you stop hassling the guy and just give him the reply he's looking for?
Old 2004-07-09, 02:32   Link #12
mulititard

Read this:

One of the goals of this is so that I *have* a public, free, downloadable sample that I can use to help my case with publishers, and have something the fans can have fun with.

Notice, it says FREE DOWNLOADABLE SAMPLE? He just wants something to show what he is capable of. He never said anywhere he plans on publishing any games based on the anime/manga.

Now stop being a smart ass and learn to read.
mulititard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-09, 17:25   Link #13
SPINAL-BRAIN
May be a Senior Member

Nice going smart asses...now I don't have any ideas.

P.S. can we argue more about the legal issues?...I love these sh*ts!...lol
SPINAL-BRAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-09, 21:23   Link #14
Remian

Yo guys.......

I dint mean to insult the guy, but its great that he is making these games. His rules are great and they move away from the monster vs monster vs player dueling thing (im so relieved) and one day you will make this game, but for now, its legally impossible for you to publish. maybe with some work you could post it for download, but it would be so great if you would not base your amazing rules on already made animes.

It would be great (but it would be sorta misunderstood) if you just made something completely new and original. I didnt mean to start a flame fight im sorry and i hope in the end we can work things out....
Old 2004-07-10, 03:41   Link #15
mulititard

I don't see anything wrong with making a fan game, as a sort of exercise or practice to further develop the skills he is wanting to show to publishers. Artists do fan-based work all the time, no they don't sell it(legally at least..), but do you think they get nothing out of it? They definately don't get nothing out of it, they get alot of practice to improve their skills. This practice can then be applied to original work, that they may plan on selling. From what I read here he was only doing this as a sort of practice // portfolio piece. Nowhere that I read did he say he wanted to publish the particular games based on the anime/manga. Therefore, I don't view this as anything wrong, or a waste of time but rather a learning experience. I don't really see why you view it as a problem for the guy to be doing this.
Old 2004-07-10, 09:56   Link #16
Remian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krevnik

I have a hobby of designing games (card games tend to dominate) and I am attempting to get a couple of games published.

That was a quote.
Now shut up all of you who are saying "He never said anything bout getting them published"
Old 2004-07-10, 20:51   Link #17
mulititard

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy
This is also a quote which I presented earlier. Which clearly states he wants to create a a public, FREE, downloadable sample. It sounds like he is referring to OTHER games not based on anime, which he is trying to publish, and he is doing this for extra experience. Never did he say " I want to take these games i am making based on the animes and publishing them!!!!!!".
P.S. You shut up. -__-

Edit: I wish the original creator would come back and clarify this. Although I admit there is a chance I am wrong, I doubt it. We can't know 100% what he meant unless he comes back and tells us himself.
Old 2004-07-10, 21:37   Link #18
Krevnik
Kryptic Kynic

Quote:
That was a quote.
Now shut up all of you who are saying "He never said anything bout getting them published"
*Ahem* I also didn't mention what I am attempting to get published commercially... why? Because I am not going to be flapping my mouth about what I am getting publishers interested in while it is still under review. In a sense, saying too much becomes business suicide. Suffice it to say, the ideas I am attempting to get published are in the middle of private playtesting (for obvious reasons). Also for the record, publish has two meanings:

1. To prepare and issue (printed material) for public distribution or sale.
2. To bring to the public attention; announce.

Here is the thing, posting online for free download and printing IS publishing as it is publicly distributed (using the internet, and it can also be called self-published, as I would make it publicly available myself). So please stop with the absurd nitpicking over a word I used, especially when I can use a dictionary to back up my use of the word.

The idea for this project grew something along the lines of:

- I have over a week of break before I become busy again... what can I do to fill the time?
- What could I do that would be productive, benefit myself and possibly others, and be done on the cheap?
- Aren't I trying to get games published?
- What can I do to give an idea of what I am capable of to publishers?
- A free game?
- What can I base it off of to get people interested and spending their time to help playtest?
- How about an anime, and get people interested by having them give feedback?

I apologize for not getting back to this thread earlier, I was busier than I expected this week. I am a student at a college, having to suffer with an old desktop and a recent laptop and had a hardware failure in the desktop which has to survive until March when I graduate and can work full-time. Getting the desktop machine up and in top shape was a priority this week. I am actually working on the game mechanics at the moment and outlining them in a document which I will post Monday evening (US west coast).
Old 2004-07-11, 10:03   Link #19
Remian

Since you guys are very law illeterat, let me put this in one simple sentence.

YOU CANT PUBLISH/POST FOR DOWNLOAD/ADVERTISE FAN BASED GAME

jeez close this thread NOW.
Old 2004-07-11, 10:57   Link #20
SiL Eighty
Lateral G's

Send a message via AIM to SiL Eighty
Quote:
Since you guys are very law illeterat, let me put this in one simple sentence.

YOU CANT PUBLISH/POST FOR DOWNLOAD/ADVERTISE FAN BASED GAME

jeez close this thread NOW.
Dude STFU. Has he given us a link or anything else other than a general idea about these games? No. So STFU he hasnt done anything wrong YET. When he does than throw a damn fuss. All this guy wants is ideas to help improve his skillz. Who gives a f*ck if he wants to try and sell it later. At that time I'm sure that he'll get the proper licensing and what not.

He Hasnt Done Anything Wrong Yet So STFU Idiot.
SiL Eighty is offline   Reply With Quote