Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2010-07-07, 03:33   Link #61
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Can anyone tell me how long the OVA is?
As in the episode length? Just under 30 minutes long, with three short episodes in total.
Old 2010-07-07, 03:34   Link #62
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Ah thank you.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-07, 05:49   Link #63
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Wow, I actually enjoyed this OVA. Not in the "unexpected" kind of way, but I really enjoyed it. First off, the swimsuit ep, ha, great stuff, but even more so because I just recently mentioned Kirihiko in a blog post, which was nice to finally see in color.

But my favorite part of this ep, was the Ginko story, because of how much I can relate to her (other than her being my fav). It's about my laptop, which can be seen many times in my blog, which is 5 years old (in Dec) already, and I'm still going strong. The big question always posed to me on IRC would be "why are you still using that?" or the classic "why don't you replace it already?", similar to the questions during this story. Sure, I know the advantages of multiple cores, or more than 736MB RAM, or larger HDD, but I'm still using this because it's mine, I am the only one who uses it, my OS level customizations are so extensive, of course my standard self repairs, and last but not least, I have a personal work to do on this laptop, which is why I bought it for myself on christmas eve, Dec 24, 2005, and I'm not replacing this until my goal has been reached.

Definitely my favorite story of the OVA, although the last one just gave me a laugh several times, sure I enjoyed the jigglies but I couldn't help laughing at the color drawings, my god it brings back memories, how I used to be like that as a kid, and look at me now, a full grown adult at a manga-ka level, and I always think to myself, "how did I draw like that?"

And loved the continuing war between Ginko and Yuuno-chan. Speaking of which, do they still call it racquetball these days (or is that just something I picked up from the americans in Germany)? Man, playing that against yourself is tiring
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-07, 06:38   Link #64
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The current fansub calls it "squash," but they're really playing "racquetball." The latter uses short-handled racquets and a rubber ball about six cm in diameter that has a lot of bounce. Squash uses longer-handled racquets and a smaller, "dead" ball with essentially no bounce. Having played both in my younger years, squash is by far the harder game. Because the ball doesn't come to you, you're constantly running to where you expect the ball to land.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2010-07-07 at 07:26.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-07, 06:57   Link #65
mangatron

Aha, since that was in my younger days as well what always got me was that break neck speed it was played in. Hard to say what exactly it was I experienced, I'll be damned if they pulled a fast one on me by using both styles, because I don't remember the racquets being short (maybe they were the short one, I always joked about how I was going to play tennis instead but then lose due to the short stick) and it sure as hell was a rubber ball used (although the ball was a bit on the hard side, which is why I was always afraid to get hit by it)

So maybe it was squash after all, but for some unknown apparent reason they must have liked calling it racquetball my memory says racquetball, so.... good times
Old 2010-07-07, 07:07   Link #66
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post
Wow, I actually enjoyed this OVA. Not in the "unexpected" kind of way, but I really enjoyed it. First off, the swimsuit ep, ha, great stuff, but even more so because I just recently mentioned Kirihiko in a blog post, which was nice to finally see in color.
I was waiting for you to post in this thread

I was totally reminded of your post when I saw her in the episode, especially with the picture you chose. That was quite a coincidence. Or are you a psychic? (not the first time something like that happened IIRC )
Old 2010-07-07, 07:16   Link #67
mangatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I was waiting for you to post in this thread

I was totally reminded of your post when I saw her in the episode, especially with the picture you chose. That was quite a coincidence. Or are you a psychic? (not the first time something like that happened IIRC )
I tried to stop myself from watching this, because I knew I was going to like it and I knew I'd be sad when it ends

But it is creepy, isn't? How I mentioned about "coincidences" in another thread, and how Dai Maou was so full of it. You are right, I believe I am psychic, or that's probably both that and precognition, it happens often, and it's a heck of a lot more creepier IRL. The most damning one? How I told my superior that if I left the USA for Europe, I'm as close to death than ever(because I laid it out in detail). My first lunch in Switzerland was the beginning of my 3 and a half years of food poisoning/stomach flu.

But enough about me, I really didn't know what I was going to see in this OVA, and I whole-fully enjoyed seeing Kirihiko in that swimsuit, and that's partially because you know I was going to think "that's what Lily would have looked like [in Dai Maou]... hey wait a minute, I just blogged about this"
Old 2010-07-08, 02:55   Link #68
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Wached the 1st OVA (ODA?) and well it was good, slice-of-life wise..

I love Murasaki's picture dairy and her interaction with Yuno and Ginko. One is physically weak and another just can't get away with her bust size
Old 2010-07-08, 10:12   Link #69
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

This OVA is defintely not non-manga reader freindly, but I only had a problme with the first sketch. I don't remember Lin being that obbsessive with murasaki. Wasn't she the one who wore the suit in the anime?

Anyway, I freaking loled when thos two girls went all out on those punching bags. That was epic.
Old 2010-07-08, 10:49   Link #70
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
I don't remember Lin being that obbsessive with murasaki. Wasn't she the one who wore the suit in the anime?
'Wore the suit' doesn't really help explain who you mean.
Old 2010-07-08, 10:58   Link #71
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post

Feel free to take it.
No takers yet, huh? Lucky me then. >_>

Thanks. xD
DJ Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-08, 11:15   Link #72
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
'Wore the suit' doesn't really help explain who you mean.
Ah, turns out I confused her for Yayoi Inuzuka. I actually kinda liked her. Especially in that signing episode.
Old 2010-07-08, 11:20   Link #73
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Ah, turns out I confused her for Yayoi Inuzuka. I actually kinda liked her. Especially in that signing episode.
Yeah, I wonder where Yayoi has gone to as well. In the anime she always stayed at the entrance and play cellphone games in the freezing weather. Pretty awesome.
Old 2010-07-10, 07:52   Link #74
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
If one odes not read manga then one has to be pitied because they will not get many things because anime did not follow the manga closely and the relationships as well as the artwork are different too. I prefer this over the realistic artwork crap that the TV series provided. I am hopeful that someday someone would make a remake for that isntead of leaving that shit to represent Kurenai (hate the artwork).
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-10, 10:48   Link #75
Tom Bombadil

Actually I enjoyed the slow and slice of life episodes of the anime. On the other hand, the later plot heavy episodes put me off. So had the anime followed the novel by the line, will it be as good?
I am not sure why the artwork is the primary target of criticism. The manga did not come much earlier than the anime itself, and although there should be some insert images in the novel, there shouldn't be many. So there is little to comparethe arts with to say which is better and which is worse. Well, people might dislike the art of the anime based on their own view of what's beautiful and what's not, but that's to each of his or her own.
Old 2010-07-11, 05:52   Link #76
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Actually I enjoyed the slow and slice of life episodes of the anime. On the other hand, the later plot heavy episodes put me off. So had the anime followed the novel by the line, will it be as good?
The novels are... Pretty dark There are a few comedical moments but overall... The stories are rather heavy. Personally, I don't think it would make much of a difference Though to be fair, I've only manage to complete vol 2.

In short, I'm with the manga camp They certainly manage to balance out everything nicely, plus we get more development on the other girls, something that the novel didn't quite do.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-11, 09:27   Link #77
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
The novels are... Pretty dark There are a few comedical moments but overall... The stories are rather heavy. Personally, I don't think it would make much of a difference Though to be fair, I've only manage to complete vol 2.

In short, I'm with the manga camp They certainly manage to balance out everything nicely, plus we get more development on the other girls, something that the novel didn't quite do.
I like when it's dark but I think the light hearted stuff gives good contrast and makes the dark stuff even, um, darker.
Old 2010-07-11, 10:14   Link #78
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
I enjoyed the plot heavy episodes (except the later ones), but if I had to choose, I'd take the slice of life episodes over the rest anyday. The musical was awesome

And I didn't mind the chara design/artwork of the TV anime either, although I prefer the OVA's.
Old 2010-07-12, 04:40   Link #79
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Love the OVA. Still can believe that's the same Lin from the anime. But then again the anime try to be more realistic than the manga/novels. Can't wait for the next OVA that will come out with the 6th manga.
Old 2010-07-12, 05:12   Link #80
MikaMiaka
I like guavas.

Wow, we left off on such a heavy note, and we get this? LOL

Haha, was not expecting this at all, but it was fun to watch, though the designs are different this time around. What happened to the little girl's incestuous-by- tradition brother? Will she just stay with him?
MikaMiaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, drama, romance, shounen