AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2006-02-14, 01:01   Link #1
kyee7k

h.263, x.264, .mkv subtitle not working

i've updated to the newest driver for ffdshow, 3ivd, mkv; but none of these will display english subtitles (only for the opening and end songs). what should i do to remedy this problem?
Old 2006-02-14, 01:07   Link #2
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

While I don't know what show you're watching, the reason that the subtitles aren't showing up is because they are softsubbed. The subtitled karaoke in the OP and ED are hardsubbed which is why they don't fall prey to the same malfunction. There are two basic reasons that your softsubs aren't appearing.

The first (and simplest) reason is that you need to manually turn them on. In this case, there is probably an icon in your system tray. (Either a green arrow or a white box with writing is most common.) Simply right-click on that icon and select your subtitles.

The other possible reason is that you need to install a stream splitter. We recommend the Haali splitter since it is the most compatible with current encoding technology. To fix this, I'd recommend that you do what it says in the AnimeSuki Playback Guide. Among the various components for you to install is the Haali splitter, but I'd recommend that you uninstall all your codecs and follow the complete guide in order to ensure that you are capable of playing everything we list on AnimeSuki.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-02-14, 01:09   Link #3
PurpleLightning

none of those things you listed are drivers, and maybe listing what player you use would help a bit too. but barring any really drastic failure elsewhere simply moving onto the animesuki playback type of setup is best, so drop your 3ivx and go to a ffdshow-centric style setup.
...darn
hmmmm... softsubs, i did think of that but then again how many softsubs do i know of that arent out of bounds.
Old 2006-02-14, 05:36   Link #4
knusbits

you probably just miss the directvobsub-filter for displaying softsubs. you can get it here
Old 2006-02-14, 08:42   Link #5
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by knusbits
you probably just miss the directvobsub-filter for displaying softsubs. you can get it here
The AnimeSuki Playback guide (see link in NoSanninWa's post) has a convinient installer for this package.
(called "VSFilter" btw)
Old 2006-02-14, 18:14   Link #6
BakajinSama
Patron of the Bewildered

Send a message via AIM to BakajinSama
Unhappy H.264, why doth thou not love me?!

While I hate to make an introductory post in any forum with a problem, frustration is a remarkably horrid bedfellow, and I'd like to break up with him now.

Here's the gyst of my vaguely OT problem:

I've downloaded the latest three ep's of Kamichu! from Chuchuchuu recently (namely ep's 6-8), of course discovering, among other things, this new format. I've been unable to play these files for weeks! I did some minor additions to my codecs previously, but today I decided to look up real solutions and followed the Media Configuration Guide first to step 6, then added the WMV9VCM and Haali's Matroska Splitter from the Playback Help Guide. Thus, roughly (unless I'm confused, which is very likely) my codecs should be as follows:

-ffdshow-alpha
-OggDS 0.9.9.5
-CoreVorbis 1.0
-VSFilter 2.32
-3ivx D4 4.5
-CoreAAC 1.0b9
-AC3Filter 0.70b (subsequently removed due to various reccomendations)
-Matroska Splitter 1.0.2.1
-Haali's Matroska Splitter
-WMV9VCM

I also have TCMP in addition to WMP 10. Neither works. After all those codecs, my computer recognizes the audio of the files only (which seems to sound fine) but plays no video. I'm at my wit's end, and even that looks like moldy cheese! Help!

I appreciate any and all commentary, including those that might call me an idiot for posting here, as I knew nowhere else to post this problem. I can start a new topic if necessary, but I thought I'd try it out here first and see if I catch any help. I remain your most humble and confused Patron of the Bewildered.
Old 2006-02-14, 18:48   Link #7
PurpleLightning

getting gspot would atleast tell you if youve got what you need and/or what youve yet to get. looking at .264 files i'd say get coreavc to add to that list and remove the matroska splitter and keep haali's instead. and also well your audio should work as youve got several different audio decoders listed, why you need so many i dont know as they are used to decode similarly constructed encodes. a smart choice for player would be mpc.
Old 2006-02-14, 23:11   Link #8
BakajinSama
Patron of the Bewildered

Send a message via AIM to BakajinSama
Talking Ah! Forbidden love rekindled!

Honto omoshiroi! Honto amai! Honto tanoshii! At long last, after all my trails and tribulations, all my suffering, I find sweet, sweet reunion!

PurpleLightning-san, you were my inspiration. When I thought all was lost, you came along and renewed my hope! Alas, I could not locate a suitable site from which to download coreavc, but it did lead me to find something on Download.com when I searched, and I downloaded the Cole2k codec pack. This ended up solving my problem. While I cannot say with any expertise that this pack is the best out there, it did solve my problem and I haven't found any others. I may hope that this is the end of my codec troubles, but alas, I know better. For seeking anime that is truly worthwhile is a battle, and yet one I would commit to gladly!

To all those who looked upon my plight and were moved, and indeed to kind and warm-hearted PurpleLightning-san, I thank you all from the bottom of my heart! The King of Fools is truly moved!

I swear now that I shall forthwith frequent these forums with the utmost intent to bring such joy to others as I feel right now. I remain ever yours, my kind and sweet subjects, the Patron of all Bewildered. Be well, my light-headed people!

Old 2006-02-15, 00:32   Link #9
Rasqual Twilight
~Walking on the Milkyway~

Codec packs are often a source of trouble, but if it worked for you, why not?
> Maybe you should've tried to install a newer / another version of ffdshow to fix your problem. The x264.nl version works fine here, as do the builds from Free-Codecs and CCCP-project.

You can also have a look at this utility for trouble shooting:
http://www.google.com/search?q=matroskadiag
Old 2006-02-15, 00:56   Link #10
PurpleLightning

i agree with that assessment and would rather stay away from codec packs especially if you dont know what youre doing. looking at your post though you did mention having tcmp, which should have meant you had the coreavc as well as its part of it. upgrading to the newer matroska based tcmp would help fix that problem easily. you cant get coreavc right now because its closed source for now.
Old 2006-02-15, 01:43   Link #11
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakajinSama
While I hate to make an introductory post in any forum with a problem, frustration is a remarkably horrid bedfellow, and I'd like to break up with him now.

Here's the gyst of my vaguely OT problem:

I've downloaded the latest three ep's of Kamichu! from Chuchuchuu recently (namely ep's 6-8), of course discovering, among other things, this new format. I've been unable to play these files for weeks! I did some minor additions to my codecs previously, but today I decided to look up real solutions and followed the Media Configuration Guide first to step 6, then added the WMV9VCM and Haali's Matroska Splitter from the Playback Help Guide. Thus, roughly (unless I'm confused, which is very likely) my codecs should be as follows:

-ffdshow-alpha
-OggDS 0.9.9.5
-CoreVorbis 1.0
-VSFilter 2.32
-3ivx D4 4.5
-CoreAAC 1.0b9
-AC3Filter 0.70b (subsequently removed due to various reccomendations)
-Matroska Splitter 1.0.2.1
-Haali's Matroska Splitter
-WMV9VCM

I also have TCMP in addition to WMP 10. Neither works. After all those codecs, my computer recognizes the audio of the files only (which seems to sound fine) but plays no video. I'm at my wit's end, and even that looks like moldy cheese! Help!

I appreciate any and all commentary, including those that might call me an idiot for posting here, as I knew nowhere else to post this problem. I can start a new topic if necessary, but I thought I'd try it out here first and see if I catch any help. I remain your most humble and confused Patron of the Bewildered.
More is not better.

Quite frankly, having too many codecs/splitter/filters can cause conflicts. Try uninstalling EVERYTHING that isn't in the Playback Help Guide.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-02-15, 16:59   Link #12
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I attest to what NSW said. More is not better.

Simply install CCCP. It would have everything you need in watching anime. Believe me, I've tried it.
Old 2006-02-15, 18:12   Link #13
RaistlinMajere
Now in MHD!
*Fansubber

Wow. That's a lot of conflicts and old versions.
Old 2006-02-16, 02:04   Link #14
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

BSplayer CCCP Build + CCCP newest version + A-card skin = win.

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Old 2006-02-18, 16:11   Link #15
Nicholi
King of Hosers

If the BSP dev obeys my will , the next official build might actually work.
Old 2006-02-18, 16:29   Link #16
Imazul

Softsubs depends highly on what player you are using.

As an example, MPC wont load softsubs unless the outputs is set to VMR7 or VMR9 renderless.

To get rid of must problems, do like the others said, get CCCP or VLC
Old 2006-02-19, 02:56   Link #17
kyee7k

Quote:
Originally Posted by knusbits
thanks for the assist.
Old 2009-08-22, 16:38   Link #18
aznndave

Send a message via ICQ to aznndave Send a message via AIM to aznndave Send a message via MSN to aznndave
i've been using CCCP codec pack and it's been fine, i could see all kind of subtitle, soft/hard
recently i can't anymore, namely Valkyria Chronicles. could it be because I installed VLC Player and it has conflict with CCCP?
Old 2009-08-22, 21:34   Link #19
arenine

VLC player has it's own internal codecs so it doesn't use nor conflict with CCCP's codec. It's most likely VLC player's internal codecs might be the issue.
Old 2009-08-23, 12:57   Link #20
Daiz
Pioneer in Fansub 2.0

VLC will never, ever cause a conflict with CCCP decoding/playback-wise, stop talking about stuff you have absolutely no clue about. The reason why VLC might not play something even if you have a filter for is because it will never, ever use any external filters. That's all there is to it.