Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2008-07-28, 15:31   Link #1381
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe View Post
Off the disc, no. If you buy a JP PS1 game off of the PSN, however, it will work.
i have some old jp games from ps1 and ps2, now they are wasted

By region free, it only applies to ps3 games, rite?
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-28, 15:33   Link #1382
Zoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
i have some old jp games from ps1 and ps2, now they are wasted

By region free, it only applies to ps3 games, rite?
If you have a PSP, slap some custom firmware on there and you'll have those PS1 games working in no time.

But yes, "region free" only applies to PS3 games.
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-28, 15:40   Link #1383
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Quote:
If you have a PSP, slap some custom firmware on there and you'll have those PS1 games working in no time.
i have a psp and where can i find those firmwares?
Old 2008-07-28, 16:28   Link #1384
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

@Deotox
My point isn't so much as which version I'm going to buy as it is why do I have to wait for both versions to come out; that is, make it a PS3 timed exclusive.

Personally though, I'd buy the PS3 version, because I do infinitely like the controller better than the 360 one.

Quote:
It's entirely different. Crystal Tools is an in-house engine, so the process will be much smoother than working with a licensed engine that was developed by people who don't even speak the same language.
Be that as it may, the fact that the 360 version of FF13 has not even STARTED yet, when according to sites the 'delay' for LR was due to problems that came up during concurrent development of both versions, I'd say they're about the same.

In fact, I'm more inclined to believe that starting over from scratch would take more time, money, and effort than it is trying to fix some bug tweaks, in-house engine or not. So again, why isn't S-E doing a timed exclusive for FF13 outside of Japan as well?

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-28, 16:51   Link #1385
Zoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
@Deotox
Be that as it may, the fact that the 360 version of FF13 has not even STARTED yet, when according to sites the 'delay' for LR was due to problems that came up during concurrent development of both versions, I'd say they're about the same.

In fact, I'm more inclined to believe that starting over from scratch would take more time, money, and effort than it is trying to fix some bug tweaks, in-house engine or not. So again, why isn't S-E doing a timed exclusive for FF13 outside of Japan as well?
Where does "starting over from scratch" come in to all of this?

Are you forgetting about localization? The game hasn't even been "ported" to the PS3 yet. SE appears to believe that it's in their best interest to put all of their resources towards getting just the PS3 version running and out the door in Japan and then shifting their resources towards tweaking a 360 port while concurrently working on localization. If they can get the port finished in the time it takes to localize the game (very likely given the engine), why not do a simultaneous release in the West?
Old 2008-07-28, 16:54   Link #1386
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post

If you read some developer interviews you'll notice that most of them mention it is easier to port a game from the ps3 to the 360, than the other way around, mainly due to the memory architecture. Considering that the western release will be simultaneously on both consoles, it won't make a big difference, if you take the localisation into account. So doing the localisation and the port at the same time shouldn't be a big problem for SE, since the porting team will be proabably much smaller than the initial team.
Not entirely sure but the Last Remnant was probably developed on the 360/PC first, there is not surprise for a delay. Also the UE3 engine is a questionable tool in general, besides we don't know if the Last Remnant is actually based entirely on the UE3 engine or if it is only using some toolset of the package.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-28, 18:53   Link #1387
rg4619

Quote:
Which is really what bugs me; if LR (and most probably, SO4 as well) gets timed exclusivity on the 360, then why isn't FF13 getting one as well?
I think the original goal was to release the Japanese and English versions (both PS3) simultaneously.

However, you'd have to look into what kind of agreements they have with Microsoft and Sony. Given the recent announcements, it's possible that on a worldwide scale, they're obliged to release a PS3 version first (Japanese SKU, in this case). However, if a deal with Microsoft dictates that the English version must debut on the X360 at the same time as the PS3, then Square Enix would have to delay the North American releases to fulfill all criteria.

This is just groundless speculation, of course.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-29, 01:53   Link #1388
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Man, you guys need to read more. According to http://www.gameplayer.com.au/gp_docu...spx?catid=News

Quote:
The Japanese developer won’t even begin working on the Xbox 360 version until the PS3 version is finished. The Square Enix representatives were frank on this point: porting the game will take a long time. And after it’s ported, it’ll still have to be localised.
Emphasis mine.

So one, they have not even started on the 360 port PERIOD. I don't care how easy it is to port 360 games into Ps3 or vice versa, but the fact that it hasn't even STARTED (and won't start until the PS3 is done, aka. the Japanese release) means they will be doing this port basically from scratch. Compare this to LR, where it is said that the PS3 version has been delayed because of problems with UE3, which of course basically means they're still fixing some bugs with the engine. In other words, they're practically at the end stage of that development cycle, unlike the 360 port of FF13, where they're practically still at the beginning. And again, the 360 port of FF13 won't even start until the time of what is basically the Japanese release.

And two, they are NOT going to work on the localization until AFTER its been ported to the 360. Sure they can work on the localization at the same time as the port, but since S-E reps have explicitly said they will only do so AFTER the port is finished, I'm more inclined to believe them than some wishful thinking of others.

To put a visual element to this...

A------------B--------------C

Where A is the Japanese release, the space from A to B is the time it takes to do the port to the 360, and from B to C is the localization, and C is when it gets released outside of Japan.

And contrary to what you guys might believe, the time for Point A to Point B is VERY LONG, as S-E has admitted it themselves that is the case.

As the owner of both systems, why do I have to wait for the time it takes to get Point A to Point B before I get a copy of the game at Point C? when S-E practically did Point B to C first with Last Remnant (getting the localization first and releasing the 360 version) before Point A to B (finishing the port to the PS3)?

And if anyone is going to argue that fixing essentially what are bug problems (ie. the LR port to the PS3) will take longer than a project where the port hasn't even started yet (ie. the FF13 port to the 360), then I don't know what else to say. >_>

@sides
According to 'delay' news of Last Remnant, the reason it was delayed was because 'the Unreal Engine has a slower development on the PS3 side.' Which implies that S-E has been working on both versions concurrently; it was just easier to implement the engine on the 360 than it was the PS3, and as such the 360 version gets to be released first than the PS3 versions.

Now compare this to FF13, where they haven't even begun working on the 360 port yet. So you really think that fixing some issues with the UE3 engine's optimazation in the PS3, is going to take longer than implementing the entirety of the Crystal Tools engine on the 360? Especially when the implementation process of porting the CT engine to the 360 hasn't even begun yet, nor will it even start until they finish the PS3 version first?

The obvious answer to that is of course the TOTAL implementation of the CT engine for the 360 will take longer than optimizing the UE3 engine for the PS3. Since that is the case, then why are we getting a timed exclusive on LR when FF13 gets a simultanoues release outside of Japan?

As for the localization issues, see top. S-E is not going to work on localization until after the 360 version is finished, and considering the port itself won't be starting until basically when FF13 is released in Japan, it's going to be a very long wait. I'm thinking Star Ocean 3 kind of wait here (a year and a half between JP and NA release), or even longer.

So again, I ask. As an owner of both systems, why do I have to wait for the 360 version of FF13 in order to get any version of the game, when I don't have to wait for Last Remnant's PS3 port in order to get the 360 version? Does anyone else thinks how unfair this situation is? Why do I have to wait a year and half or even longer to get my version of FF13 just because they have to finish the 360 port first, when I can get the PS3 version maybe only half a year later if they decided to release the 360 version at a later date?

Old 2008-07-29, 02:23   Link #1389
nadare

Send a message via MSN to nadare
Damn, if what you said is true then we wont get FFXIII until 2011 or 2012 the latest.

Then it also has a big chance of a new Xbox by 2010 or 2011. Then that would mean that the port of FFXIII of the x360 will be meaningless =/.

If it comes to that FFXIII versus might come first before FFXIII as it is PS3 exclusive. So by then it would probably mean that the hype sorrounding FFXIII will die down.

FFXIII doesnt even have a release date yet. If it comes out during 2010 december then english release would mean 2012.

If it took so long for SE to optimize the UE for TLR, then who knows how long it will take for the crystal tools to be optimized on the x360.

So everytime they run a problem on the x360 then the PS3 version gets delayed too?

Edit: Finally SE confirmed that FFXIII will be timed exclusive on the PS3

Link Here
nadare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-29, 04:04   Link #1390
rg4619

Quote:
And two, they are NOT going to work on the localization until AFTER its been ported to the 360. Sure they can work on the localization at the same time as the port, but since S-E reps have explicitly said they will only do so AFTER the port is finished
That conflicts with what other sites (IGN) are saying. Localization and porting should occur concurrently.

Nevertheless, it would be best if someone offered a direct quote instead of a (potential inaccurate or misinterpreted) summary.

Quote:
The obvious answer to that is of course the TOTAL implementation of the CT engine for the 360 will take longer than optimizing the UE3 engine for the PS3.
It isn't a total implementation since Crystal Tools was already developed with multi-platform capability in mind. However, Square Enix never tweaked it to be stable on X360 (hell, it's probably not fully tweaked for PS3 yet), so the process will be difficult.

And yes, I expect the port to be time-consuming. As of now, SE anticipates a quick gap, but that seems far-fetched.

Quote:
Since that is the case, then why are we getting a timed exclusive on LR when FF13 gets a simultanoues release outside of Japan?
There's no way we'd know. Maybe it's the marketing plan (to avoid any loss of momentum - bear in mind that they don't expect a long gap between releases, misguided as the estimate might be) or some contractual stipulation.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-29, 05:52   Link #1391
DeotoxSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg4619 View Post
That conflicts with what other sites (IGN) are saying. Localization and porting should occur concurrently.
Then IGN messed up beause i've seen five different translations of the interview and they all said that they wouldn't start the 360 version till the PS3 version is released in Japan.
DeotoxSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-29, 07:10   Link #1392
Zoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeotoxSlayer View Post
Then IGN messed up beause i've seen five different translations of the interview and they all said that they wouldn't start the 360 version till the PS3 version is released in Japan.
How does that mean IGN messed up? Localization isn't going to start either until the PS3 version is released in Japan.
Old 2008-07-29, 09:05   Link #1393
nadare

Quote:
How does that mean IGN messed up? Localization isn't going to start either until the PS3 version is released in Japan.
Er... He didn't say anything about localization. He said x360 development will not start until the FFXIII Japan PS3 is done.

I'm betting they would start localizing even if x360 version isn't done yet. If they only start to localize it after the x360 version is done. I expect 2012 for FFXIII release on both systems.
Old 2008-07-29, 09:22   Link #1394
Zoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadare View Post
Er... He didn't say anything about localization. He said x360 development will not start until the FFXIII Japan PS3 is done.

I'm betting they would start localizing even if x360 version isn't done yet. If they only start to localize it after the x360 version is done. I expect 2012 for FFXIII release on both systems.
Try reading all of the quotes:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 2008-07-29, 09:32   Link #1395
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Well, according to news that nadare has brought up (only three or so days ago? wow, that totally missed my radar), it does seem that a simultaneous release for 360 and PS3 is probably a big fat lie said by Microsoft.

According to http://www.gameplayer.com.au/gp_docu...catid=Features
Quote:
It was later revealed to us in an intimate hour long interview with the developer (that will appear in the next issue of Official PlayStation Magazine Australia on sale August 13th) that the game would not be ported to “other formats” until the localisation of the PS3 version was completed.
Emphasis mine. And between Microsoft and the developers themselves, I'd rather believe more S-E.

Okay, I can rest easy now; my PS3 version probably won't have to wait for the 360 version.

Then again, I might probably get the 360 version as well if I really like FF13, because we all know that's bound to have extras not found in the earlier PS3 version.

Old 2008-07-29, 09:45   Link #1396
nadare

My mistake then.

@Dragonkain

Thats probably not gonna happen since SE vowed content will be the same on both platforms.

We need the original japanese script it seems or it'll never be cleared up =/.
Old 2008-07-29, 13:02   Link #1397
Aka
Green Trees
*Artist

Hmm.... the promotion code that was in my Premium Edition of Soul Calibur IV doesn't work for now... could this be the Yoda DLC(free for LE buyers - $1-4 on PSN)? I'll have to wait and see this Thursday if any updates happen.
Aka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-29, 13:33   Link #1398
DeotoxSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadare View Post
My mistake then.

@Dragonkain

Thats probably not gonna happen since SE vowed content will be the same on both platforms.

We need the original japanese script it seems or it'll never be cleared up =/.
The thing is that what DragonKain posted was said in a interview not during the conference, I wonder if that's actually true though. I myself beleieve sE more than Microsoft but what if the Magazine guys messed up the translations.
DeotoxSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-29, 14:18   Link #1399
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aka View Post
Hmm.... the promotion code that was in my Premium Edition of Soul Calibur IV doesn't work for now... could this be the Yoda DLC(free for LE buyers - $1-4 on PSN)? I'll have to wait and see this Thursday if any updates happen.
It's modern day costumes, consist of Maid, school girl, and school boy.
Old 2008-07-29, 21:41   Link #1400
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

o sht, i just got the soul cal 4, it is wicked awesome , i just started to use darth vader and man, he is koooooooool

guys gotta check this game out

Tags
console, ps3, sony