AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-04-01, 00:40   Link #6741
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
Yes, we did. CNN just apparently had a slow news day.
Most news agencies always make these kind of announcements to generate viewership with little regard for moral panic caused by the incorrect context of words and fake facts they use.

But then, when there is a panic, it is good to sit down and laugh at how the rest of the population are so stupid enough to believe in things like these.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-04-01, 01:12   Link #6742
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
But then, when there is a panic, it is good to sit down and laugh at how the rest of the population are so stupid enough to believe in things like these.
Like the people who watch Fox News.
Old 2010-04-01, 11:08   Link #6743
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Malaysia beer drink woman's caning sentence commuted

I kinda surprise. Not about the canning but the fact her punishment wasn't carried out until it was recently commuted. The last time i heard about her was her punishment was delayed since it was Ramadan during that time so i thought they canned her after Aidilfitri (the Muslim festival after Ramadan) but then i learn they didn't and this news came about her sentence being commuted.

Last edited by MrTerrorist; 2010-04-01 at 13:42.
Old 2010-04-01, 13:16   Link #6744
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Malaysia beer drink woman's caning sentence commuted

I kinda surprise. Not about the canning but the fact her punishment wasn't carried out until it was commuted now. The last time i heard about was her punishment was delayed since it was Ramadan so i thought they canned her after Aidilfitri (the Muslim festival after Ramadan) but then i learn they didn't and this news about her sentence being commuted.
They sure had alot of time executing the syariah law but didn't bother about their own citizen being a Romanian Roadkill on the neighbouring island.

P.S You can always use EDIT POST.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-04-01, 13:54   Link #6745
mg1942

even CNN's affiliate HLN can't stop talking about that old H-game to death...
http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video...iref=allsearch
Old 2010-04-01, 15:41   Link #6746
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Somewhere along the line, some nimrods redefined what "weapons of mass destruction" means, stretching the definition to include small tactical nastiness....

Dilution of the meaning :P
Slate article on this topic: http://www.slate.com/id/2249407/

Here's a short excerpt:
Quote:
Nine members of the Hutaree militia, a Michigan-based Christian doomsday cult, have been arrested and charged with planning to use "weapons of mass destruction" against law enforcement officials. The indictment alleges that the Hutarees intended to wage a guerilla war against police officers using "trip-wired and command detonated antipersonnel improvised explosive devices (IEDs)." There is no mention of nuclear, chemical, or biological weapons. When did IEDs become WMD?
Old 2010-04-01, 18:39   Link #6747
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
[NSFW] http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/0...-old-daughter/ [NSFW]

A father who raped his 4-year-old daughter has been let off after courts accepted his excuse that he was sleepwalking.
The father, a 30-year-old resident of Belgium, returned home after drinking with friends, going to sleep in the same room as his 4-year-old daughter.
He was alleged to have raped the girl after she woke him up to go to the toilet.
The man admits raping his daughter, but says he was asleep
why is it that it seems like European courts is more concern about the criminal then the victim?

the belgium court basically gave every rapist in Europe or at least Belgium a get out the jail card.
Old 2010-04-01, 18:49   Link #6748
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Sexsomnia is legit and provable. Rare, but legit. And this has happened multiple times before, so if it gives rapists a pass, none of them have caught on.

Edit: After reading the article, though, he claims to have been aware of it and it doesn't sound if he tried to seek treatment (or is it not treatable?) for it, so I think he still could be at fault.
Old 2010-04-01, 18:55   Link #6749
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
why is it that it seems like European courts is more concern about the criminal then the victim?

the belgium court basically gave every rapist in Europe or at least Belgium a get out the jail card.
Sankakucomplex. You know your story would have more credibility if it linked to the Onion. As Dilla said, it's rare, but it does happen. Given that the guy apparently has a former history that's apparently somewhat documented, he was acquitted. It's not some excuse any random person can claim.
Old 2010-04-01, 18:59   Link #6750
mg1942

Ann Coulter's freedom of speech violated?

Old 2010-04-01, 19:30   Link #6751
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

I do wonder who are the idiots than invited her to do speach here ( I am canadian). I do realize than some parts of her ''message'' might find a receptive audience in some of the western province, but trying to hold such conference at a city as multy-cultaral as Toronto was insane t the first place.
The US conservative( especialy the ''Tea-bagger'' should keep her to themself.

( Unless there would have a second lecturer in a debat-like format. Nothing better than see such moron being put at his place with cold argument)
Old 2010-04-01, 19:40   Link #6752
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post
Sexsomnia is legit and provable. Rare, but legit. And this has happened multiple times before, so if it gives rapists a pass, none of them have caught on.

Edit: After reading the article, though, he claims to have been aware of it and it doesn't sound if he tried to seek treatment (or is it not treatable?) for it, so I think he still could be at fault.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
Sankakucomplex. You know your story would have more credibility if it linked to the Onion. As Dilla said, it's rare, but it does happen. Given that the guy apparently has a former history that's apparently somewhat documented, he was acquitted. It's not some excuse any random person can claim.
and yet he still went out and got drunk knowing he has a serious condition. showing a complete disregard to others welfare. that alone should have a gotten him a few yrs behind bars even if you buy the "rape as you sleep excuse."
Old 2010-04-01, 23:33   Link #6753
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
First Muslim Sex Shop opens

I'm all for this on account as a feminist and as someone who grew up in a multi-faith, multi-cultural city without feeling the need to rage war on each other.
Any attempts for mutual understanding between different faiths or cultures, or an attempt to promote positivity over hate, fear and blind persecution gets a thumbs up in my book.
I'm personally curious to see how the Muslim community adapt to it, but since the owner is playing by their own rules, they don't have much grounds to contest, nor do extreme right wing dutch nationalists have more 'ammo' to brand the entire concept as 'evil'.
Always need to fight against the negative minority to offer a chance of a more balanced view on the current state of things, but at least he's trying...

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Old 2010-04-02, 03:14   Link #6754
Haruka_Kitten
The AnimeSuki Pet kitten
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Haruka_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Haruka_Kitten
Why would 'Rapelay' thrive in Japan?

I just saw something on this on SBS World News Australia. This one has me intrigued slightly, and slightly annoyed. I believe that it is within the discretion of the Japanese to allow such content, and I fail to see what the big problem is.
Old 2010-04-02, 03:17   Link #6755
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harufox View Post
Why would 'Rapelay' thrive in Japan?

I just saw something on this on SBS World News Australia. This one has me intrigued slightly, and slightly annoyed. I believe that it is within the discretion of the Japanese to allow such content, and I fail to see what the big problem is.
Note : Rapelay did not thrive in Japan for a start. This is a misguided report of all sorts.

Old 2010-04-02, 04:09   Link #6756
monir
cho~ kakkoii

The article isn't bad actually. It certainly doesn't disguise the fact the views might be one sided, but it still tries to be candid in its expression. Rape Play was just more of an excuse to get into the whole topic of how Japanese culture is viewed from a Westerner's perspective.
Old 2010-04-02, 04:17   Link #6757
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

The whole article, despite all the recognition of one-sided view, still does not recognise the fact that Eastern and Western cultures do differ. It somehow tries to force a perspective where the Japanese culture is wrong in its portrayal of women, and that the Western portrayal of women is right.

TBH, there isn't a really right way of portraying in both cultures. It is just like giving the feminists a chance to keep their women's charter yet allow them to demonise the men can do and they can't. Rather than consistently screaming and complaining about legal frameworks, why not just go ahead and do it, like the Iranian women who pull back their headscarves in public in the face of the religious police?

Old 2010-04-02, 04:34   Link #6758
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
The whole article, despite all the recognition of one-sided view, still does not recognise the fact that Eastern and Western cultures do differ. It somehow tries to force a perspective where the Japanese culture is wrong in its portrayal of women, and that the Western portrayal of women is right.
It does indeed recognize the cultural differences in a very candid (aka crude) way. Also, Saintless, read the last paragraph one more time. It actually acknowledges that the Western societies aren't without problems either in its own treatment of the women. Japan's being one of the superstars in the global economy, it was just a matter of time that they started getting some attention about their standards and norms. I also feel the article's expressed views aren't entirely without merit. I, however, agree with the rest of your post.
Old 2010-04-02, 06:21   Link #6759
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
It does indeed recognize the cultural differences in a very candid (aka crude) way. Also, Saintless, read the last paragraph one more time. It actually acknowledges that the Western societies aren't without problems either in its own treatment of the women. Japan's being one of the superstars in the global economy, it was just a matter of time that they started getting some attention about their standards and norms. I also feel the article's expressed views aren't entirely without merit. I, however, agree with the rest of your post.
You mean this?

Quote:
Japan is in some ways not that different than other cultures, including the United States, which has its own gender problems that are quite apparent."
If so, then I get it. The whole paragraph seems rather confusing to me.

Old 2010-04-02, 10:38   Link #6760
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
Ann Coulter's freedom of speech violated?

When in Rome do as the Romans, that's about all I can say.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international