AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

Old 2011-05-22, 13:25   Link #121
Shikijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Subordinate is definitely not okay when it's supposed to have magical implications. Familiar works for me.
1) at this point I think it is already too late to change a term that is mentioned so much in the text but it might be useful for those who will translate the next books

2) In vampire terminology, "familiar" is a human that helps a vampire; he is not a vampire himself.

I researched it on the internet but I've yet to find a word for it. All I know is that the vampire who turns humans into other vampires is called a "sire", but there is no term for those who get "sired" (or "vamped").
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-22, 17:16   Link #122
Romanticide

How are the translations going? Two more chapters right? I really wish we'd get more info on Shinobu/Kissshot in Shinobu Time.
Romanticide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-22, 18:03   Link #123
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikijin View Post
1) at this point I think it is already too late to change a term that is mentioned so much in the text but it might be useful for those who will translate the next books

2) In vampire terminology, "familiar" is a human that helps a vampire; he is not a vampire himself.

I researched it on the internet but I've yet to find a word for it. All I know is that the vampire who turns humans into other vampires is called a "sire", but there is no term for those who get "sired" (or "vamped").
I don't think there's a specific word for a vampire serving another vampire, other than "servant". However, a servant is not necessarily a vampire.

For example, Seras Victoria calls Alucard "master" in Hellsing, but I don't think Alucard has a specific word for Seras.

Last edited by Shadow5YA; 2011-05-22 at 18:14.
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-23, 13:39   Link #124
FRS
Lurker on the threshold

You could use term like "Children", "Child" or "Thrall", they are AFIAK the most used to describe this type of relation..
FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-23, 15:04   Link #125
Shikijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanticide View Post
How are the translations going? Two more chapters right?
Yeah. Translations is going fine, but I don't know how much time it will still take
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS View Post
You could use term like "Children", "Child" or "Thrall", they are AFIAK the most used to describe this type of relation..
They way I see, there are two types of term used: synonyms of child (fledgling, spawn, childe) and synonyms of servant (minion, lackey). They still don't sound very good.
Old 2011-05-23, 17:35   Link #126
Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikijin View Post
Yeah. Translations is going fine, but I don't know how much time it will still take
If we get a good translation, there's no need to hurry up to you, but I should ask, about how much time do you take to translate a chapter? (counting that it seems that this chapters ~16 and 17~ are so long). Because, while you finish I easily could reach you ~translating it to spanish~ and wait for the end of the novel.
Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 17:43   Link #127
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Hey, back to that whole "subordinate" debate. I went to Blood+'s wiki page and they used the word "chevalier" for a being that's more or less the same as what we are trying to translate. The actual Japanese word they are using (シュヴァリエ) is different so I don't know.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 18:03   Link #128
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Hm...the main problem that I'd have with "chevalier" (which is a French word that Blood+ creators basically took just for the series, right?) is that it's akin to "knight", which implies that the values of chivalry are associated with the position. ...it fits somewhat, but at the same time, it doesn't because I'd say there's more free will associated with being a knight...

Other terms I've seen used include the ancestor/descendant and sire/offspring pairs, but nothing really captures the master/servant dynamic which Araragi and Kiss Shot have.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2011-06-18 at 17:52.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 21:10   Link #129
khamsin

Hey guys, I don't really think this fits here but I couldn't seem to find a more related thread using keywords, so...

Is there an ongoing or completed project to translate the DVD/BD commentary? If yes, just a confirmation will suffice. If not, I was thinking of attempting it if there's still a demand, seeing as how there's a long summer ahead. After all, I'm very attached to the series as a whole, so it'd be great to spread the love : )
khamsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-02, 00:15   Link #130
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by khamsin View Post
Hey guys, I don't really think this fits here but I couldn't seem to find a more related thread using keywords, so...

Is there an ongoing or completed project to translate the DVD/BD commentary? If yes, just a confirmation will suffice. If not, I was thinking of attempting it if there's still a demand, seeing as how there's a long summer ahead. After all, I'm very attached to the series as a whole, so it'd be great to spread the love : )
No, I'm pretty sure there isn't.
Old 2011-06-05, 16:29   Link #131
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

In the Boku wa Tomodachi translation in baka-tsuki the translator translated the exact word as "family". It's does indeed reference family but it doesn't really get the servant/master relationship. What do you guys think?
Old 2011-06-05, 23:57   Link #132
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
In the Boku wa Tomodachi translation in baka-tsuki the translator translated the exact word as "family". It's does indeed reference family but it doesn't really get the servant/master relationship. What do you
guys think?
still thinks "subordinate" fits best

but "family" works fine too
Old 2011-06-14, 10:27   Link #133
Shikijin

Kizumonogatari chapter 17 part 1
Spoiler for Kizumonogatari chapter 17 part 1:
Old 2011-06-14, 10:29   Link #134
Shikijin

Kizumonogatari chapter 17 part 2
Spoiler for Kizumonogatari chapter 17 part 2:
Old 2011-06-14, 10:30   Link #135
Shikijin

And... that's all, guys.
Spoiler for Kizumonogatari chapter 18 (last chapter):
Old 2011-06-14, 12:36   Link #136
patlagik

Send a message via Yahoo to patlagik
Yaaaaay! thank you so much for all your hard work ^_^

One question: are the chapters from baka-tsuki the same from here?
Old 2011-06-14, 13:27   Link #137
Shikijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by patlagik View Post
One question: are the chapters from baka-tsuki the same from here?
Yeah, after posting them here I post them on baka-tsuki. I just turn the notes into footnotes, although now I notice that in wiki the usual html tags don't work for Italic, so I'll have to correct all the chapters. Well, it can wait though
Old 2011-06-14, 13:29   Link #138
Used Can

Thanks man, this was a really good job.
Old 2011-06-15, 05:42   Link #139
K336

That was a very beautiful end to tie things together, makes me want to rewatch Bakemonogatari anime.

Thanks again for your efforts!
K336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-16, 09:21   Link #140
Otrebla

YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSS Tnx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! gonna read soooooooon!!!!!!!!!! here is my virtual hug!!!!!!!!!
Otrebla is offline   Reply With Quote