AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > GATE

Notices

Old 2015-07-11, 01:21   Link #441
Elestia

Quote:
Originally Posted by com_gwp View Post
I don't want to take the opposite side mainly because I'm not in defense of the sanitisation at all, and because this really is just two sides of the same coin; what I call shock value and what you call realism goes back to the central idea about the depiction of war in all its depraved, visceral and bloodied nature.

What I'm saying is that gore isn't necessary for that, nor is it the only way to do that. If you think what episode 2 showed wasn't visceral enough, we'll just have to agree to disagree on that point.
I'll just leave this as a response.

It's because the show is trying to take itself too seriously without being serious about the themes it's conveying. There's a weak connection with what they are saying happened and what we are seeing. All the deaths and casualties from the initial invasion by the Imperial army and the Battle of Alnus Hill feel trivialized when they shy away from it. This includes avoiding the violence and gore which serves a higher purpose than just 'shock factor'. It helps tie the audience that what is happening should be terrible, tragic, and plain ugly.

That's why I find the show doing itself a disservice when they do not show the gore or actual violence when it is necessary.
Old 2015-07-11, 02:35   Link #442
Velsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyco Diver View Post
I'm liking the MC alot, he's capable and not a moron. Its really going against the normal flow of MCs in fantasy/action animes, I hope it becomes a trend lol
I hear ya. :/

About to watch episode 2 now. So far the reactions seem good ^_~ Kinda want a better show of action than episode 1 :/

Donated by Om Nerabdator
Velsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-11, 02:42   Link #443
RDNexus

While I can't say that I'm getting tired of these apparent "gritty stuff" needers (Since it seems people have to be spoonfed on everything to get the scope of things), I'm fine with the way things are being portrayed and eager to keep watching.
LoGH had alot of that gritty stuff but I simply felt it unnecessary, I have no need for such shock value or graphic representation of the magnitude of war.
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-11, 02:47   Link #444
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
LoGH was not as graphic as people made it to be. No flying eyeballs or spilled guts, that's it. People disappointed by the portrayal of violence in Gate anime may have been just fine with random blood spilled on the floor or splattered on the walls, or silhouettes of people killing or being killed. With the right use of "creative" drawing techniques, you can convey violence and horrors of war just fine w/o going into the 18+ or even X rating, no need to go into Corpse Party level.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-11, 02:50   Link #445
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Episode 2:
I was wondering if Emperor Molt sending his allies to their eventual doom was beneficial for him, since he won't have to worry about rival factions that undermine the empire?

On the other hand, Youji Itami and Takeo Kurata singing the Meikon theme over the radio is so hilarious!
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-11, 02:57   Link #446
Botan_TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
Episode 2:
I was wondering if Emperor Molt sending his allies to their eventual doom was beneficial for him, since he won't have to worry about rival factions that undermine the empire?
Well, that's was a plan. Waste yours vassals and neighbours armies, so they have no power and leaderships to efficiently use your own weakness. That's why he was happy after hearing news about their failure.
Old 2015-07-11, 04:09   Link #447
Velsy

Episode 2 was pretty sound. I am fairly happy with it. Only really minor issue that I would mention would be when in Coda village, They weren't holding there weapons. Just kinda odd. Kinda also wanted to hear the Elfs "ouch" sound before she passed out. Just would've emphasized the funny of being hit, but meh, oh well. Missed comedic opportunity

Great that this episode was a vast improvement, I hope it continues.

Donated by Om Nerabdator
Velsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-11, 04:48   Link #448
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
LoGH was not as graphic as people made it to be. No flying eyeballs or spilled guts, that's it. People disappointed by the portrayal of violence in Gate anime may have been just fine with random blood spilled on the floor or splattered on the walls, or silhouettes of people killing or being killed. With the right use of "creative" drawing techniques, you can convey violence and horrors of war just fine w/o going into the 18+ or even X rating, no need to go into Corpse Party level.
The second episode went a mite too far though -- we're talking about a battlefield littered with thousands of corpses, and yet we see none of this just the following morning, just scattered and broken weaponry. Scavengers aren't that efficient you know, and I doubt whatever clean-up personnel the JSDF had on hand wouldn't be able to accomplish this either.
Old 2015-07-11, 04:56   Link #449
ookamigirl

Seriously, it was a dumb move to attack technologically advanced enemy.
That bloodbath was totally unnecessary.
Stupid is as stupid does.
Was about time for some in-depth recon.
Good episode.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-11, 05:48   Link #450
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Was a fun episode. We got to see a focus on the Imperial Politics and such. What a wily emperor, creating an "Allied Army" of neighboring countries to wipe them out in a single wave. Hi Princess Pinia Colada!

And so... NeoCon Amurricah shows it's head. Considering the current Neoliberal hegemony I wouldn't be so shocked if this is how things turn out. Expanding markets w00t!

Though letting Japan foot the bill on this campaign is quite interesting, might actually get the deflated Japanese economy get going again considering it's dire straights in that timeline.

Edit: I wonder if there are works that are similar to this? I mean I know that the source material had as much of a right-wing bend as some Western military novels I've read, but in terms of societal encounters I think this series reminds me of the Ring Of Fire series a bit.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL

Last edited by Netto Azure; 2015-07-11 at 06:12.
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-11, 07:09   Link #451
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
The second episode went a mite too far though -- we're talking about a battlefield littered with thousands of corpses, and yet we see none of this just the following morning, just scattered and broken weaponry. Scavengers aren't that efficient you know, and I doubt whatever clean-up personnel the JSDF had on hand wouldn't be able to accomplish this either.
I don't know much of novels yet but in manga JSDF found amount of bodies rather troublesome for hygienic reasons. And considering certain corpses will later became plot point, I am interested how will anime handle that...
Old 2015-07-11, 07:24   Link #452
RDNexus

You guys are always relying on the visuals to have a point gotten across... I think of it as a sort of wrong approach.
They may go with the story as is, simply because you don't see a certain something doesn't mean it's not there or doesn't exist.
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-11, 07:32   Link #453
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
This line of inquiry is dangerous, but what Tenzen said was true: the number of corpses left around Alnus eventually become a plot point. And yet we're shown... nothing here. No bodies. No remains. Zilch.

For more details, head to the novel thread.
Old 2015-07-11, 07:34   Link #454
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

My first thought was that they already buried all the dead (human) bodies or something like that.

I mean they wouldn't want to have over a hundred thousand corpses right at their entrance later on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
This line of inquiry is dangerous, but what Tenzen said was true: the number of corpses left around Alnus eventually become a plot point. And yet we're shown... nothing here. No bodies. No remains. Zilch.

For more details, head to the novel thread.
Not the human bodies that make up the majority though.
Old 2015-07-11, 07:47   Link #455
Top Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojay View Post
Ahem? Afghanistan is a NATO mission, nothing to do with the United Nations. .
Arg!!

You are absolutely correct!

For some stupid reason my eyes read UN but my mind was thinking "NATO". That was my dumb action for yesterday.
Old 2015-07-11, 07:49   Link #456
Top Sergeant

I do like how the villagers have no idea what to make of these funny-dressed strangers!
Old 2015-07-11, 08:17   Link #457
abc0716

Watching this show makes me want to play any game among Civilization or Age of Empires franchise.

Medieval + (some) fantasy-themed troops vs. modern weaponry, there's no way the empire could win the war aside pyrrhic victory.
abc0716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-11, 08:23   Link #458
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Episode 2. Good thing they tone down Itami's Otakuness.
And now for the Battle of Alnus Hill.
Those poor Vassal Armies. No matter what they do, in always ends with them losing and most of their soldiers dead.
Attack by flying dragons? AA guns.
Massive army charge? Hello tanks, artillery and guns!
Night Raid? Nope! Flares and Night Vision.
Cavalry attack? Sorry. We got barbed wire.
You gotta feel sorry for King Duran. He saw his allies and men die and he even couldn't get revenge for his men.
Old 2015-07-11, 08:39   Link #459
VTHokiePride

You'd think that after losing 120,000 men that the Empire would seek a peace treaty or something to halt the bloodshed. I doubt that the Self Defense Forces suffer casualties if any at all.
Old 2015-07-11, 08:46   Link #460
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc0716 View Post
Watching this show makes me want to play any game among Civilization or Age of Empires franchise.

Medieval + (some) fantasy-themed troops vs. modern weaponry, there's no way the empire could win the war aside pyrrhic victory.
Until a spearman beats RNG and somehow defeats a tank anyway

inb4 GATE scenario mod for Civilization, featuring Japan vs the Empire.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
military science fiction, seinen