AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2011-07-21, 15:26   Link #1
Tetra Vaal
Banned

Post 'Prometheus' (2012) - Ridley Scott's 'Alien' prequel.

June 8th, 2012 marks the theatrical release date for Ridley Scott's return to science fiction -- a prequel to his sci-fi classic 'Alien.'

Details are currently hard to come by, as Fox purposely keeps leaking plot info that isn't official, so it's really hard to say what 'Prometheus' will be about, other than that it focuses on the Space Jockey. For those of you unfamiliar with the Space Jokey, or have simply forgot what it is, here is a refresher:

Spoiler:

As for the cast, it includes: Noomi Rapace ('The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo'), Charlize Theron ('Monster'), Idris Elba ('28 Weeks Later'), Michael Fassbender ('A Dangerous Method'), Guy Pearce ('L.A. Confidential'), and Ben Foster ('Pandorum').

The trailer for 'Prometheus' will debut later tonight at Comic-Con International, and for now, here is the first official still from the movie:

Spoiler:

Also, H.R. Giger -- the renowned Swiss artist who is most known for the original Alien design, will be contributing heavily to this film. It's first time since the original 'Alien' that he will be working on a major motion picture. Oh, and one more note: the film will be shot in 3D, which does leave me feeling skeptical.
Tetra Vaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-21, 15:30   Link #2
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Oh dear lord... If they do this right, I have to switch pants, being the big Alien fan that I am. This surely came out of nowhere. Bit worrying about the 3D, as you say. I certainly hope Ridley won't focus too much on the visuals...

Small note though: Giger is Swiss, not Swedish.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-21, 15:32   Link #3
Tetra Vaal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicoX View Post

Small note though: Giger is Swiss, not Swedish.
Yeah, I just corrected that. I have a tendency to get ahead of myself and just post without proof-reading.

But yeah, if done right, this could be something special. I hear the official budget numbers are around $150 to $160 million, so that kinda makes me nervous. The 'Alien' "universe" can never be anything less than R rated, so hopefully Fox will let Scott do as he wants. It's bad enough that it's being filmed in 3D, but if they allow it to have a hard rating, I will forgive that aspect.
Old 2011-07-21, 20:37   Link #4
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

What is the Space Jockey? Some alien being? Does this story focus on some alien beings and their ship that became over run by the Aliens (the monsters)?
Old 2011-07-21, 20:43   Link #5
Tetra Vaal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
What is the Space Jockey? Some alien being? Does this story focus on some alien beings and their ship that became over run by the Aliens (the monsters)?
Naw... nothing like that. In fact, some 'Alien' fans speculate that the Alien itself is some sort of creature developed or controlled by the Space Jockey.

Anyway, a short montage was shown at Comic-Con today -- with Ridley Scott saying the film could potentially be PG-13.
Old 2011-07-21, 20:48   Link #6
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The Space Jockey (and his ship) are of clearly UNhuman origins.... so if this is about the experiences of that ship, it could be quite interesting.
Old 2011-07-21, 20:50   Link #7
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

PG-13 eh? I guess that means it won't be a true horror story. Bummer.
Old 2011-07-22, 00:56   Link #8
james0246

Honestly, with Ridely Scott directing, I am only partially interested. (The man hasn't made a decent film in 8 years (and Matchstick Men only had its moments, much the same as Gladiator and Black Hawk Down (and Hannibal was awful)).) Thankfully, the cast seems interesting, especially with Michael Fassbender, Ben Foster, and Sean Harris signed up. (p.s., does anyone know if Stan Winston Studios is involved?)

Additionally, a "prologue" seems a little unnecessary (especially since I suspect Fox will force Ridley to acknowledge the awful Aliens vs. Predator films as being in-universe (Cameron, who was originally working on an Alien 5, bowed out of the franchise after he learned of AvP, claiming that the horrendous prequels would devalue the franchise (and they did)), and while the mystery of the Space Jockey is interesting, I would have simply preferred a short film detailing the events of the creatures death.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-22, 01:09   Link #9
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Only way that would work is if the story followed a much earlier flight into space that found these things...maybe even the Space Jockey's ship...but either lost too much, or the Space Jockey found out what the humans were doing and escaped from them (only to die in the end). Or did the noble sacrifice thing and took all the Aliens with him so the humans might live....but the corperations wanted the aliens...maybe even send a ship purposely on routes that would take them new stars on the Space Jockey's last route, in hopes of find it again (thus the standing order to bring the alien to Earth despite that seeming like a very, very, very bad idea.)
Old 2011-07-22, 01:34   Link #10
Tetra Vaal
Banned

Ridley Scott also announced tonight that he will never shoot a film without the 3D tech ever again.

Ugh, him and Scorsese need to punch out. Their best days are behind them.
Old 2011-07-22, 01:45   Link #11
GundamFan0083

Um, I'm confused.
I thought Ridley Scott had scrapped the prequel idea and made Prometheus it's own movie now completely separate from the alien franchise?

http://www.movieline.com/2011/01/ali...y-terrible.php

Did he change his mind again?
Old 2011-07-22, 01:49   Link #12
Tetra Vaal
Banned

Yeah, about a month ago (as well as tonight) he confirmed it's a part of the 'Alien' universe. Supposedly the film focuses around the Space Jockey.
Old 2011-07-22, 02:00   Link #13
GundamFan0083

Cool.
Guess he did change his mind.
I always wondered how the Space Jockey (weren't they called "Orions" in the graphic novel?) got on LV426.
Maybe now we'll find out.
Thanks for the heads-up.

Since we're on the subject of Ridley Scott's original Alien movie.
I'd like to say that I hope he explores his original idea for how the Aliens reproduce instead of the whole "Queen" concept that Cameron added to the franchise.

I enjoyed this portion of the director's cut of the original Alien movie very much.
It was totally creepy and scary as hell.

Last edited by GundamFan0083; 2011-07-22 at 02:12.
GundamFan0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-22, 05:11   Link #14
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetra Vaal View Post
Anyway, a short montage was shown at Comic-Con today -- with Ridley Scott saying the film could potentially be PG-13.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetra Vaal View Post
Ridley Scott also announced tonight that he will never shoot a film without the 3D tech ever again.
And theeeere I lost my excitement. Unless they still manage to do things right, which I doubt. Otherwise I'll just watch it for the lore.

Unless they screw that one up too.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-22, 05:42   Link #15
Woopzilla
Desensitized

As you can tell my 'location' I'm quite an Alien fan. Even if it turns out to get bad reviews... I'll still go to see it.

But then... I sort of like the mystery surrounding the Space Jockey. It makes that scene so amazing when they first discover it. If the backstory ends up being lame, they might just ruin that scene for me as it will inevitably remind me of it from that point onwards.
Old 2011-12-21, 10:36   Link #16
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
http://www.alienprequelnews.com/2011...-but-this.html

I saw the leaked 1 minute trailer, not sure when it will come out. But I am definitely psyched to see it. A lot of signals to Alien makes it even better
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 10:46   Link #17
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Man this movie si going to be epic. My favorite Sci-fi director going back to what he does best.

Here are the two teaser trailers

GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 11:14   Link #18
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Wow, a trailer for a trailer .

That said, it does look really cool.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 20:59   Link #19
Lost Cause

I'm going to HAVE TO SEE THIS!!
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-22, 01:26   Link #20
HasuMasu
*Artist

Damn, this is going to be awesome, you know, considering good ol' Tetra actually didn't start bashing this from the beginning.

Personally I'll hold off on the trailers for now.