Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-05-01, 16:39   Link #1
KristopherZ
Car Freak

Send a message via AIM to KristopherZ Send a message via MSN to KristopherZ
What in your opinion is "good cosplay?"

I personally don't have an opnion right now because I personally haven't seen people doing good cosplay.

What would you consider good cosplay if you go to a convention or see a hardcore fan walking down the street. Do they need to be accurate in the clothing design? Do they need to be attractive to a certain degree? Does it need to be accurate of the character they are trying to portray?
Old 2004-05-01, 17:37   Link #2
Kouji
StrykerX

Well, I'd picture good cosplay as people dressing professionally (not sloppy) and that the character that they would cosplay would match the anime character exactly. And sometimes age would matter cuz you wouldn't want a young kid in an older anime character's outfit vice versa.
Old 2004-05-01, 23:32   Link #3
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Accuracy in both looks and design goes for me.

It is kind of a turn-off if you get a square jaw big-boned person trying to play a slim sized, oval faced fairy.

Likewise if your costume looks like something from a Tyco PVC toy reject, it kinds of distracts from the experience.
Old 2004-05-01, 23:54   Link #4
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
for me good cosplay is none at all. I just don't think any human can match his/her anime counterparts, no matter how hard they try. However I've seen some great pics, still not THAT great to me... anime realistic hair? only in my dreams.
Old 2004-05-02, 00:10   Link #5
Narutio

Edit by Mod (xris)
Images removed. Please keep on-topic.

Do Not post images or links to bad cosplay (American or otherwise).

This thread is about good cosplay, please keep it on topic. If you are considering replying to this thread, then please make sure you give a reason for your answer.

Please do not just give a one word or short one line reply. If this happens then chances are your reply will be deleted.

Remember (from the forum rules)
All threads must serve a purpose and
No trivial polls allowed

So please discuss the topic.

Last edited by xris; 2004-05-02 at 03:46.
Old 2004-05-02, 02:04   Link #6
rEkKaShInObI
LiFe Of ReVeNgE

Send a message via AIM to rEkKaShInObI Send a message via Yahoo to rEkKaShInObI
as usual, japanese cosplay murdered american ones. seriously if we dont fit the character at all, dont be a poser.
Old 2004-05-02, 02:20   Link #7
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

i saw an american guy do a really good Anderson from Hellsing
the sad part was ge wasn't cosplaying...
Old 2004-05-02, 21:12   Link #8
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
My idea of good cosplay?

Playing the right Gender. IE. Guys Cosplaying Guys, Girls as Girls.

I've gotten sick of seeing 250lbs guys cosplaying slim girls..
Old 2004-05-02, 21:37   Link #9
TronDD
Team the box!

Good cosplay, to me, is looking like the character. An accurate costume at the very least. Looking somewhat like your character is better. Since anime characters are fictitiously proportioned and have gravity defying hair, etc, I always thought good cosplay would be almost impossible to see.

Having been to a convention, I realized that most cosplay is good. It's just so much fun to me to see these people in bizzare costumes and not caring what anyone thinks. Even if they don't look like the character (some people simply take the opportunity to dress in a weird way and are not any character at all) it's still great to see them expressing themselves and having fun.
Old 2004-05-02, 21:56   Link #10
mah_damey

umm... honestly, i dont think there is any good cosplay at all. The characters only look good drawn..
Old 2004-05-02, 23:21   Link #11
Slade xTekno
Tekkaman Blade!

I think narutio posted Man-Faye. Darn, I was going to. Then again, that might get me another complimentary one-day vacation from xris [or maybe longer...].
There are some awesome cosplays. There is a thread featuring the good ones somewhere in General Chat... I'll go look it up.

Edit: I found it.
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...hlight=cosplay

Last edited by Slade xTekno; 2004-05-02 at 23:26. Reason: Found it.
Old 2004-05-03, 13:56   Link #12
IntrepidAKP
...Woah!

Tall, slender. Materials of the costume. The Vash in that thread that someone linked is the best example. I could totally see someone wearing that. I can't see someone wearing nothing, but cotton they got from Ben Franklin's or something.
Old 2004-05-03, 14:31   Link #13
Tzurial
in silent opposition

Send a message via AIM to Tzurial Send a message via MSN to Tzurial
tch..tall, slender. Is cosplay appreciation really that shallow? Can I be the first to say I LOVE seeing overweight sailormoons! I mean, seeing people who really look like the character is pretty amazing (ex- yuna in the thread Slade xShorts put up) and I'd consider it good cosplay but that doesnt necessarily make everything else bad.

If they look like theyre having fun and enjoying a couple of days not worrying about what anyone thinks then I'd say that's good cosplay ^^ Ive never been to an anime convention, but if theyre full of average people being crazy then I'd really like to go!
Old 2004-05-03, 16:28   Link #14
IntrepidAKP
...Woah!

I don't know. It just really bothers me when I see someone dressing up in a picture and they are really short and stubby.
Old 2004-05-03, 17:34   Link #15
LinChoiSin

i definitely think that a good cosplay is one that'll please the people wearing it. of course it would be so much better if everybody was gorgeous and had the perfect outfit that really matches the anime character or the band they're cosplaying but it's very rare so in the end i'd say that having fun is the key.Note that this is my definition of a good cosplay if it was only for me i would have said beautiful girls in well done outfit!
Old 2004-05-03, 18:30   Link #16
bluemist
i am the mist

A good cosplay really depends on how well they project the characters they portray. Doesn't even matter if the person itself looks good or bad, as long as his/her looks 'fits' the costume and the character. And most of all, they should 'stick to their gender', unless they really 'look the part'.

It also must have the WOW factor. Yea, like you did some costume design out of the ordinary. This would require 'out of the ordinary' anime characters to portray though. Well, most applause here comes from people with mecha cosplays, you don't see that too often I guess...

I think posted this somewhere already. Maybe I'm biased but our cosplay here are pretty good, even though there are less than a few thousand people doing it in total (over our population of 80 million... you can say there are only a few dedicated anime people here).
http://tsubasa.my-age.net/c3con.htm
http://www.press-esc.net/c3con.htm
Old 2004-05-03, 22:20   Link #17
Slade xTekno
Tekkaman Blade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzurial
tch..tall, slender. Is cosplay appreciation really that shallow? Can I be the first to say I LOVE seeing overweight sailormoons! I mean, seeing people who really look like the character is pretty amazing (ex- yuna in the thread Slade xShorts put up) and I'd consider it good cosplay but that doesnt necessarily make everything else bad.
It's Spand xPants...
I agree with you! I love those overweight Sailor Moons ans Man-Faye! The have what many introverted hermetic anime fans don't... self-confidence and guts [mental and physical].
I will link to the Man-Faye thread here [xris, I will use many spoiler tags].
Old 2004-05-04, 02:47   Link #18
Kouji
StrykerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemist
I think posted this somewhere already. Maybe I'm biased but our cosplay here are pretty good, even though there are less than a few thousand people doing it in total (over our population of 80 million... you can say there are only a few dedicated anime people here).
http://tsubasa.my-age.net/c3con.htm
http://www.press-esc.net/c3con.htmhttp://tsubasa.my-age.net/c3con.htm
http://www.press-esc.net/c3con.htm
Oh wow, I never knew the Philippines held an anime/game convention of their own. And from seeing the pics, they seem to dress equal to the anime or game counterparts (which's like what the japanese fans do). And they take their time making the costume, instead of having it rushed.