AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2015-06-03, 11:47   Link #1
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

E-sports?

Hello there. It's been a while since I've been meditating that e-sports have been a big enough thing that it deserves recognition in an anime or manga.

The thing is, has japan thought the same? Is there something regarding any e-sports?

Cheers.

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Arturia Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-03, 14:14   Link #2
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturia Polaris View Post
Hello there. It's been a while since I've been meditating that e-sports have been a big enough thing that it deserves recognition in an anime or manga.

The thing is, has japan thought the same? Is there something regarding any e-sports?

Cheers.
No, Japan is the one east asian country that does not take esports seriously compared to its big neighbors China and Korea or even EU or USA.
They do have an FGC scene(smash, street fighters, Tekken, etc) though but that is not esports from both the fgc and my perspective.

In fact, if you told someone in Japan that you like playing computer games, they will most likely think you are some weirdo who loves to play H-games.

Didn't notice that this was in suggestions.
There are some series that deal with VRMMO fantasy worlds like Sword Art Online, .Hack, Accel World, btoom, etc but I wouldn't consider that esports in the sense that we don't consider MMORPGs to be esports.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-03, 15:05   Link #3
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

The closest anime/ manga with E-sport that I can think of is Denpa Kyoushi. Where the main characters do compete with games several times. (Edit: read the manga, heard the anime adaptation is horrible)

They kinda draw it out through. Like if he was competing in a shooting game, the author will show him wearing gears and running around with guns
Old 2015-06-03, 21:12   Link #4
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Well, the most I can think of is Summer Wars.
And personally I don't think E-sports has any appeal to Japanesse audition compare to VRMMO or real sport.
Heck, even Karuta is more popular...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-04, 01:53   Link #5
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
CLG founder HotshotGG made a random cameo in Zettai Karen Children. That's about all the acknowledgement esports has gotten in anime.

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-04, 11:43   Link #6
Jaden

I've thought about it...how awesome would it be to have an anime like Hikaru no Go...except about Starcraft?

Basically, the ghost of a Korean pro who died from a heart attack while practicing possesses a Japanese boy, who then goes on to become a legendary player.

A more likely story would be something fighting game related, that scene is fairly large in Japan as I understand.
Old 2015-07-22, 21:17   Link #7
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
A more likely story would be something fighting game related, that scene is fairly large in Japan as I understand.
What type of fighting game character do you think would the MC of such a story prefer: rushdown, turtling, mix-up, or zoner?
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-27, 06:37   Link #8
Jaden

I don't know. I don't actually know or play fighting games.
Old 2015-08-22, 18:46   Link #9
TYxTxYT
コピーの雀士

Well there is a Chinese LN called 全职高手, tells of a former champion expelled from his club, but was able to form a team out of online gaming and reclaim his throne.
The game in the novel, 荣耀 "Glory", is very similar to(in fact can be say, based on) the Korean game "Dungeon & Fighters".

The LN is very popular in China, and have some very core female fans, some of the fans even made this video for it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVY66hhmA-Q
But I don't see it going into an anime anytime soon really.
Raws
Translation
It seems the translator decided to call it "The King’s Avatar".

Last edited by TYxTxYT; 2015-08-22 at 19:24.
TYxTxYT is offline   Reply With Quote