AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-02, 11:15   Link #1
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Character discussion - Maximilian

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Maximilian related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Valkyria Chronicles fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specific episode / chapter talk, there are other threads for that stuff.

Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whining and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favorite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter is always welcome, but harassing people won't be tolerated.

• Discuss, not Chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel (#animeuki) on ZiRC.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use spoiler tags!Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2009-06-02, 11:34   Link #2
Runty

Nice, a topic devoted to Lelou- er, I mean, Maximilian.

And so far, I like how the anime is treating him. Really badass prince. Same as our dear Zero.
Old 2009-06-02, 11:34   Link #3
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Please remember people. Just because his Japanese VA is Jun Fukuyama, it doesn't mean Maxmillian will act like that Flamboyant bastard Lelouch. He's more tough and smart Commander than a flamboyant showoff weakling. His English VA on the other hand, is very manly & fierce since, Matthew Yang King also voiced the Demon Night Elf, Illdian Stromrage of the Warcraft series.
Old 2009-06-02, 16:09   Link #4
kalbron

Truth be told I found his English VA far far more regal and intimidating than Fukuyama's. I think it suits him more.
Old 2009-06-02, 17:03   Link #5
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Checked up on Matthew. He's Asian-American, which strikes me as very interesting. He's able to do his role perfectly. XP

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2009-06-02, 19:17   Link #6
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Fukuyama is doing Max as Lelouch with practically 0 compassion. No laughs, no games. He drives hard bargains, and everyone knows it, even Gregor.

P.S. Look at where Illidan ended up. Not a good place, if you ask me.
Old 2009-06-18, 17:25   Link #7
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
He's been able to defend himself very well against the hired assassins in the 9th episode. Looks like he's gonna be awesome...

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2009-06-23, 20:44   Link #8
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
I don't have a problem with the Empire bogging down in Gallia per se. It's just that if they were fighting a successful campaign (four days ahead of schedule, etc.) and Maximillian was a militargy genius, then a small country like that should have collapsed. That it didn't means that the Empire didn't pull off a successful blitzkrieg, and that the golden boy isn't some sor of military genius. I know that the anime is trying to have its cake and eat it too, but it just doesn't work that way.
Hmm, I don't think the anime mentioned Max being anywhere close to a military genius. If it did, I think I missed it. In the game, Max was described as ambitious, but not a genius. Despite his chief of staff being composed of intelligent individuals, they were not united in thought nor action and all had their own agenda. It was also implied that the Empire initially did not pay much heed to the Gallia campaign, at all. Yeah, whatever campaign Max was trying to run, it had a low success rate from the very start.

Although it must be noted that the game's momentum did accelerate right after the Federation kidnap attempt, and prompted a new wave of offensives by the Empire.

Although it should be noted that Max did what he did mainly out of vengeance not because he cared much about his Imperial lineage or the Empire itself.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-06-23, 21:37   Link #9
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

On the contrary, I believed that he pursued the Gallian campaign to prove that he is a force to be reckoned with in the Imperial court. If he succeeds, he becomes a war hero, and his standing in the court would be greatly enhanced. That is his main goal.
Old 2009-06-23, 21:50   Link #10
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
On the contrary, I believed that he pursued the Gallian campaign to prove that he is a force to be reckoned with in the Imperial court. If he succeeds, he becomes a war hero, and his standing in the court would be greatly enhanced. That is his main goal.
Well, yes, exactly. But at the end, its all about him, isn't it? From the few flashbacks that we were able to muster about Max, its strongly implied that he perhaps even despised the current reigning dynasty. Its not as if he cared for his family at all, his siblings or the current reigning dynasty. Rather, everything that transpired in Gallia originated from his ambition.

After all, I highly doubt the proposal he offered near the end of the game was part of the Imperial agenda for Gallia.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-06-23, 21:53   Link #11
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Well, he probably wants to become Emperor himself. First step is to raise his standing. If all goes well, the end game would be him sweeping the old court out and him becoming the new status quo. It's more palatable to the people if a war hero launches a coup.

It's dangerous for a man with such ambition not to have some brains. Whether Max has enough, is another question.
Old 2009-06-23, 22:22   Link #12
Tak

Quote:
Well, he probably wants to become Emperor himself. First step is to raise his standing. If all goes well, the end game would be him sweeping the old court out and him becoming the new status quo. It's more palatable to the people if a war hero launches a coup.
Again, you are saying what I am saying. Yes, he wants to be Emperor, I think that part is more than obvious. But, once again, his ambition to become Emperor does not necessarily include the well-being of the current reigning dynasty.

Then we should look at what Max got for assistance. His general staff isn't exactly what you would call top-notch. He got a childhood housemaid, who relies on individual brute strength over actual tactical planning. He got a minority, who cares not for the Empire but the independence of his own homeland. Then he acquired an obvious outcast, who is probably the least popular individual amongst his colleagues and no wonder he was sent to Max because people just wanted to get rid of him. With those three at hand, what are the chances of success, realistically speaking? Not very much.

- Tak

Old 2009-06-23, 23:05   Link #13
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Well, I guess he might rename the era once he comes to power. As you said, the well-being of the current dynasty isn't his worry, but the conditions of the Empire itself is his worry.

1) When "individual brute strength" involves crushing companies without breaking a sweat, I go for tactics becoming secondary.

2) Having a mercenary doesn't mean failure by default. As you said, since Max isn't caring much about the dynasty, hiring a person who isn't that loyal to the Empire is logical.

3) Having a brutal commander is a double-edged sword. Terror can either break the spirit of the defenders or spur them to greater resistance.

To Max, his chance of success must be pretty high for him to even make the move. Last I heard, "making the impossible possible" wasn't his line.
Old 2009-06-24, 03:29   Link #14
kalbron

Now that you've said that yezhanquan someone needs to shop Kamina's sunglasses onto Max and Yoko's outfit onto Selvaria. XD
Old 2009-06-24, 03:31   Link #15
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

....No. Max as Kamina screams "fail", although I'm not so sure of Selvaria as Yoko.
Old 2009-09-03, 11:59   Link #16
MagicHat

Oddly, despite a whole chapter on Imperials and a few little scenes, felt the game gave more coverage to His Grace then the show has so far. His (English) voice in the game carried arrogance, could deliver both a little bit of charisma and could be chilling. Don't recall seeing him that much outside of tank or war room but he seemed to get more chance to stamp his mark, ruthless, fairly intelligent, even moment of honour
Spoiler for game ending:

Despite seeing him more outside tank/war room in the show, he seems to take a backseat to the other generals and be a little bland so far, don't think they have quite got him right so far. Getting better in last two episodes though
Old 2009-09-08, 09:22   Link #17
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

I'm surprised he's only 29 years old and that he's only 7 years older than Selvaria o.O, thought he was older.
Old 2009-09-08, 16:10   Link #18
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwei View Post
I'm surprised he's only 29 years old and that he's only 7 years older than Selvaria o.O, thought he was older.
He doesn't look that old.
Old 2009-09-08, 18:29   Link #19
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

But, if you look at it, 29 years old, and nothing impressive on record....

No wonder he's desperate.
Old 2009-09-09, 00:58   Link #20
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Quote:
Fukuyama is doing Max as Lelouch with practically 0 compassion. No laughs, no games. He drives hard bargains, and everyone knows it, even Gregor.

P.S. Look at where Illidan ended up. Not a good place, if you ask me.
and max got his taller version of CC... ah i mean selvaria to be his shield
Closed Thread