AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-01-04, 12:41   Link #41
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

What? End of Evangelion wasn't that bad. I mean it had this bit and this other cool bit.

Though this thread shouldn't be derailed into Evangelion.

As for MLP, I've heard good things about it, but I didn't believe it at the time. Though that video linked there would indicate it's not as bad as people would assume.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-04, 12:47   Link #42
Kallen4life

/brohoof plz
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Kallen4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-04, 13:19   Link #43
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Sorry guys but every single one of the series I listed were pitched as "for children". The fact the writers snuck around that for the sake of homages and inside jokes for the adults was just a bonus. And no, I wasn't comparing the series as somehow equivalent but simply alluding to this fact.

My observance of MLP puts it closer to a G-rated version of Ren & Stimpy or crazier Power Puff Girls. For kids, but not so lobotomized that the parents won't have to bite on a towel to watch it (some of the other "kid's shows" are absolutely horrible).
Old 2012-01-04, 13:24   Link #44
Kallen4life

Quote:
3) Batman: the animated series
Quote:
"for children"
srsly ?

I have no idea how that was pitched, but I would never claim B: TAS is for children (i.e. little kids)

anyway MLP is geared towards a young audience, but that doesn't really matter in regards to the show overall appeal and quality
We are Blackwatch
Old 2012-01-04, 14:20   Link #45
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Batman was in the lineup right after Animaniacs on weekday afternoons. Animaniacs was on after Tiny Toons. I don't remember what was on before that., though I think Power Rangers were on after Batman. I didn't care to watch that so my day ended with Batman. At least when they started on Fox Kids.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-01-04 at 14:31.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-04, 14:26   Link #46
solomon

Really now.

The way you can look at is it that those shows and others made cartoons respectable again. Respectable for a wide age group of people to watch and be entertained by.

Because frankly before 1988, the only cartoon that anyone over the age of 13 would probably sit down and watch was the Bugs Bunny/ Road Runner show. Other than that cartoons were laaaaaaammmmeeeee. Overzealous parents groups and squemish pencil neck TV executives made cartoons to be the most purile, bland juvenile type of entertainment ever.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-04, 15:06   Link #47
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Never going to watch the show, but I can see why it can be fun for people.

What I am bothered with is, again as always, the 4chan material. ...Brohoof? Bronies? Thousands of meme based MLP-related pics on the internet forced down a person's throat? And then all the "extremist" fans get confused as to why this show has haters? Ugh...does this have to be the only recipe for popularity these days?

Same goes for Skyrim's "arrow to the knee", or planking for example. Some things are just so extremely stupid (mildly speaking)...it's unbelievable.
Old 2012-01-04, 15:33   Link #48
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Really now.

The way you can look at is it that those shows and others made cartoons respectable again. Respectable for a wide age group of people to watch and be entertained by.

Because frankly before 1988, the only cartoon that anyone over the age of 13 would probably sit down and watch was the Bugs Bunny/ Road Runner show. Other than that cartoons were laaaaaaammmmeeeee. Overzealous parents groups and squemish pencil neck TV executives made cartoons to be the most purile, bland juvenile type of entertainment ever.
Jonny Quest and the Flintstones were initially aired on prime time evening television if I recall. The Flintstones were essentially an animated "Honeymooners" set in imaginary cave times and Quest was a science fiction adventure series. But they were unusual for the time.
Old 2012-01-04, 15:42   Link #49
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Bullwinkle tended to keep an older audiance, though maybe that was nostaligia of my parent's generation by the time I was seeing it.

It did tend to have a bit of political humor for the day.
Old 2012-01-04, 15:48   Link #50
Kallen4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larthak View Post
Never going to watch the show, but I can see why it can be fun for people.

What I am bothered with is, again as always, the 4chan material. ...Brohoof? Bronies? Thousands of meme based MLP-related pics on the internet forced down a person's throat? And then all the "extremist" fans get confused as to why this show has haters? Ugh...does this have to be the only recipe for popularity these days?

Same goes for Skyrim's "arrow to the knee", or planking for example. Some things are just so extremely stupid (mildly speaking)...it's unbelievable.
what's wrong with bronies ?

MLP fans in general are quite tolerable

a lot of fan-material just indicates popularity and a large dandom

arrow to the knee is the best meme of 2011
We are Blackwatch
Old 2012-01-04, 16:32   Link #51
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallen4life View Post

They would be if they kept to themselves. It's like how a lot of religious people are quite tolerable, and it's the ones who have to talk about their religion all the time that are a problem.

(And I AM religious, so don't think I'm singling those people out for being anything other than an easy example.)
Old 2012-01-04, 17:27   Link #52
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Quote:

a lot of fan-material just indicates popularity and a large dandom
I'm fine with there finally being a western cartoon that's actually kinda solid and watchable. Trying to understand why's there so much buzz around it though. And as it seems, I'm not the only one who's wondering this. What's wrong with bronies, you ask? I just can't imagine a man in his prime calling himself a bronie. It's creeping me out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
They would be if they kept to themselves. It's like how a lot of religious people are quite tolerable, and it's the ones who have to talk about their religion all the time that are a problem.
Exactly. While it's true that bad reputation still counts as reputation, it's never wise to go overboard. Ultimately, you'd end up with people who might have liked the show, but became haters instead. Based on prejudice alone. MLP pushes itself a little too hard, imho.

Quote:
arrow to the knee is the best meme of 2011
Really? I was beginning to see your point, but then I took an arr...no, just NO. It might have been funny the first time. It sure as hell ain't funny now. Way too overused. People abuse it too much. Comments sections of pretty much everything, everywhere are a perfect example of this.

You see it once; okay, good.
You see it twice; jumping on the bandwagon, trying to act funny. Not so much.
You see it thrice; just shut up already...

You can only repeat a joke so many times before it gets boring or downright irritating. Case in point - Chuck Norris.

Last edited by Larthak; 2012-01-04 at 17:43.
Larthak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-04, 17:50   Link #53
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larthak View Post
I'm fine with there finally being a western cartoon that's actually kinda solid and watchable. Trying to understand why's there so much buzz around it though. And as it seems, I'm not the only one who's wondering this. What's wrong with bronies, you ask? I just can't imagine a man in his prime calling himself a bronie. It's creeping me out.

Exactly. While it's true that bad reputation still counts as reputation, it's never wise to go overboard. Ultimately, you'd end up with people who might have liked the show, but became haters instead. Based on prejudice alone. MLP pushes itself a little too hard, imho.
Can't both of these complaints apply to anime (the love/hate of loli in particular) and the perception of anime fans from other people, especially on the Internet? In that regard, I don't see why you can't understand the popularity, particularly from online communities like 4Chan.

And yes, I do know that most anime with loli fansevice is targeted at adult otaku, but it's still a viable comaprison imo.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-04, 17:53   Link #54
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Good question Vexx but often times those 90s shows were very deliberate and conspicious in showing their "adult appeal". This one doesn't have that overt nature. Same with Spongebob.
Actually MLP has quite a lot of references for adults: I've spotted things from Doctor Who, GWTW, Star Trek TOS, even Apocalypse Now & so forth. Of course what I like about the series is these references are never over done and are very subtle in the background.

Anyways I am an adult female fan of the series. What do I like about the show? Well I was impressed with the fact that the series is made up of a number of well written female characters (ignoring the fact that they are ponies) with distinct personalities, strengths and flaws and to me they never feel like stereotypes. It may not be the most amazing thing ever but overall it's a fun & solid series (although so far I preferred the 1st to the 2nd season).

I guess I am surprised that some anime fans are being so judgmental. I can understand if a series is not to your taste (we can't all like the same thing) but why do people care if others enjoy the series? Would you like being judged for watching anime? There is certainly a lot of good anime out there for children too.

I don't limit myself by target demographic. If it tells a good story with good characters: then adult, kid, male, female target audience (I really don't care!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
The characters and themes and presentation are what make shows what they are, and MLP's are what define it as a decent kid's show but something that should have little to no appeal for a mature audience.
And I say MLP has appeal for people of all ages and genders. Hence why it does have such a big audience outside it's target demographic.

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2012-01-04 at 18:13.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-04, 17:57   Link #55
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Depends on the joke. or how it is presented.

I thought of two versions...depending on what one wants to imply:

I use to be an arrow like you, then I took a knee to the head.
or
I use to be an arrow like you, then I took a knee to the shaft.
Old 2012-01-04, 18:07   Link #56
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Jonny Quest and the Flintstones were initially aired on prime time evening television if I recall. The Flintstones were essentially an animated "Honeymooners" set in imaginary cave times and Quest was a science fiction adventure series. But they were unusual for the time.
And after that there was the fairly similiar Jetsons.

In fact, most of Hanna Barbera's output was, despite often poor production values, watchable by all ages. Think Top Cat, Yogi Bear or Wacky Races.

There was, however, a period in the 70s and 80s where the animation industry dived. It also coincided with gap between Disney's Golden Age, and it's Renaissance beginning with the Little Mermaid, the films that Disney produced between 1970 and 1988 have with few exceptions proved to be as iconic as the films before and after. Almost every Disney animated feature prior and after this time proved to be extremely succesful and iconic, whereas during that period only a 1/3 have had long lasting success. Since 1998 or so Disney has again had a period of poor releases.

Disney may be getting it's mojo back though, after a few recent succesful releases. Only time will tell though.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-04, 18:14   Link #57
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Disney may be getting it's mojo back though, after a few recent succesful releases. Only time will tell though.
They can still make stuff that's relevant?
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-04, 18:44   Link #58
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

There was a lot of anime that came over during the 70s and early 80s. probably for reasons to do with less American animation studios I guess. Or maybe due to the increase in the number of channels over that period of time. I caught the tale end of this with Star Blazers, Voltron, Robotech, and Battle of the Planets along with reruns of Speed Racer. Then they started getting some shows that were produced in Japan for American television (Transformers for example). Then at somepoint in the late 80s I guess there was a heavy anti-Japanese movement (likely around the time Japan's economy was booming and threatening to overshadow the United States) and cartoons shifted again. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, because I seem to recall less cartoons being on the air in the very late 1980s, but then watching stuff again by the early 1990s .

Maybe there was less on after or before school those years. I know I had stuff to do on many Saturday mornings those years. Looking at the list of cartoon as presented by Wikipedia, I remember at least one cartoon from each of those years (save 1991). Around 1990 they all seem to be Disney though, until 1992-93 when it returns to what was Fox Kids at the time.
Old 2012-01-04, 18:54   Link #59
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

yeah.. I grew up with Gigantor, Astroboy, and Speed Racer in the 60s/early70s (in addition to the pre-(THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!) Looney Toons on Saturday morning.
The anti-violence and MustHaveAMessage bubblewrap phase after that pretty much destroyed much of animation in the US.
Old 2012-01-04, 19:09   Link #60
Kirarakim

Keep in mind that originally animation in the US was not targeted at kids at all. It wasn't really targeted at any audience. In fact early animation was even subjected to the Hays Production Code just like early films.

Betty Boop even caught the wrath of the censors.

Tags
my little pony