AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series

Notices

Old 2017-02-18, 21:13   Link #21
AB079

Pretty average animation, and those designs... the creepy eyes is intended? because it looks nothing like the manga ones that are more expressive.
AB079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-18, 21:22   Link #22
moodie

Idk the PV looked very similar to the manga cover.
moodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-18, 21:45   Link #23
AB079

The thumbnail one yeah and some static shots too, the other ones... dunno. Hopefully we can see another PV with more scenes of the manga.

All what matters is the best boy getting a nice design.
Old 2017-02-19, 04:08   Link #24
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I was looking at the news, and saw that this was getting an adaptation. Wanting to know more about the characters, I just wanted to read the first dozen chapters or so.... AND now I just finished the latest English chapter (120). God dammit, I just couldn't stop.

Honestly, I actually have a soft spot for arranged marriages. Maybe because childhood friend romance has very similar aspects with arranged marriage: falling in love over time, not really a relationship of passion, sometimes even called a relationship of convenience, especially in older manga where the running gag is that the last resort for aging women who can't get a career is to go to an omiai. Or maybe even childhood friend romance evolved from arranged marriage, as goodness knows how stories there are about couples promised from when they are kids (Black Butler, Star Driver, Gankutsuou, Shaman King etc.) so who knows how much more from older stories?

In any case, sure I still prefer childhood friend romance, but arranged marriages to me is an acceptable alternative to my favourite trope (I blame 2002's Ai Yori Aoshi for intertwining them). Honestly I wish there were more stories like these that are focused on arranged marriages, but I only remember 2004's Final Approach, 2008's Akane-iro ni Somaru Saka, and 2014's Engaged to the identified. Too far and few in between IMO.

Spiel about arranged marriage animes done, I do find it ironic it's the childhood friends here are the ones portrayed as the 'Veronica' relationship. Like sure there are childhood friend heroines portrayed as Veronicas, but vast majority of the time they only exist as the Bettys. What I mean by that is if the childhood friend is the 'relationship of passion', one can't conceivably have a typical LI as 'love slowly developing over time' when the childhood friend romance is usually told over such a time period.

Enter arranged marriage. Because arranged marriage is very rarely love on first sight, and that that love on such marriages is even more dependent developing over time than childhood friends, this actually pushes the childhood friend into 'passion'.

Spoiler for it's light and honestly you could have seen this coming a mile away:

So yeah, very interesting subversion of the trope by the author. I don't think I've ever seen a story where the childhood friend LI is depicted as the more passionate route, so as someone who is obsessed with the trope, this story utterly fascinates me. For once it feels like, for a lack of a better term, I'm batting for the other team this time around. XD

As for the anime, the general trend of anime focusing on moe SOL because it's what sells is disheartening for me. It has became so bad that I was subsisting on battle action harems for my romantic fix for a good part of this decade (thanks a lot SAO), so I'm happy I get dramatic het-romance focused anime shows in back-to-back-to-back cours (Kuzu no Honkai, Fukumenkei Noise, Koi to Uso). Admittedly these mangas are not nearly as good as 'Tomo-chan wa Onna-no-ko' or 'Kaguya-sama wants to be confessed to' or 'Hi Score Girl', but I'll take what I can get.

So yeah, count me in as someone who's really looking forward to this in the summer. Am I expecting it to be a hit? No, not really, if this cour's Kuzu no Honkai or last year's Kiznaiver is of any indication. Not enough BL to keep the fujoshi's interest, not enough variation of moe to push the general otaku into buying the discs, and goodness knows having one 'winner' is sure to piss off the rest of the people not cheering for that LI. But hey, I'm not complaining if it's the one being animated.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-19, 23:04   Link #25
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Purely from a design standpoint the girl on the right is enough for me to take an interest in this show.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-20, 06:56   Link #26
bastek66

This manga is weekly but all chapters are like 7 pages long, right? Is there even material for whole cour?
Old 2017-02-20, 10:50   Link #27
AB079

^There is, probably ... but my bet goes for short episodes because 24 minutes will rush like hell this manga.
Old 2017-02-20, 12:05   Link #28
MCAL

How many chapters are there right now?
MCAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-20, 15:35   Link #29
bastek66

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAL View Post
How many chapters are there right now?
Mangabox added 120th chapter recently.
Old 2017-02-20, 16:19   Link #30
Sakura_Tsuki

My reaction when I heard this was going to get an anime:
Well, let's not be judgemental and see what it will turn out like as an anime. To be honest despite the progress I couldn't drop reading the manga.
Old 2017-02-20, 18:20   Link #31
MCAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastek66 View Post
Mangabox added 120th chapter recently.
Then I think full length is doable. Let's say three chapters equals one full length weekly chapter (It's actually like three pages more then usual, but whatever) That's 40 chapters which is usually enough for one cour of anime.
MCAL is online now   Reply With Quote