AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-12-11, 17:57   Link #32201
Bri

Wouldn't even need nukes with Colony drops.
Old 2013-12-11, 18:44   Link #32202
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Need large enough colony's first. Though if China is going for an armed Moon base approach, than steps may be required.
Old 2013-12-11, 19:09   Link #32203
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
A war will happen before that happens...
Old 2013-12-11, 21:50   Link #32204
JokerD

Hot on the heels of India's gay sex ban: India top court reinstates gay sex ban
Comes Australia: Australia high court overturns ACT gay marriage law
Old 2013-12-11, 22:22   Link #32205
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I figured if they're fighting over territory, there would be supply constraints, and thus harder to get multiple nuclear warheads there.
No, because there are sufficient resource next door. Do you think any country would gave a damn about some small island or a strip of land if they can own a planet down the street?

Of course not. Wars are not economically efficient unless you are part of the War Industry.

Assuming unlimited expansion capabilities (I.E people can self sufficiently live offworld) then the only territorial dispute exist would be religious nature (I.E fighting over who owns Jerusalem).

That is what I always found Alien invasion unrealistic, if I was Alien King X, I wouldn't bother invading earth for natural R....if I had tech capabilities to get to Earth, I could also find any natural resource anywhere else in the galaxy...without wasting energy sapping Earth's R through a gravity well.

That is why Hollywood films such as Oblivion and Armageddon are dumb as hell.
Old 2013-12-11, 22:33   Link #32206
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
Of course not. Wars are not economically efficient unless you are part of the War Industry.

Assuming unlimited expansion capabilities (I.E people can self sufficiently live offworld) then the only territorial dispute exist would be religious nature (I.E fighting over who owns Jerusalem).
Well, there's also the economics behind labour and let's not forget ideology.

I'm not sure what the economies of scale about conquering a planet and then having the entire population as a slave labour caste ..

And well, intergalactic communism, fascism, fundamentalism, etc etc.
Old 2013-12-11, 22:40   Link #32207
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

I am just waiting for a colony mission pragmatic enough to legalise child marriage with polygamy to boost population.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-12-11, 22:42   Link #32208
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I am just waiting for a colony mission pragmatic enough to legalise child marriage with polygamy to boost population.
Sorry to tell you. Impotent and sterile applicants are not allowed.
Old 2013-12-11, 22:49   Link #32209
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
You want to boost population? The only sure way is to pay for them with tax money. Make children cheaper and easier to raise, that's the only way. Sadly polygamy and underage girls do not contribute to population growth; sex does not equal children in the modern day.
Old 2013-12-11, 22:53   Link #32210
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post

I'm not sure what the economies of scale about conquering a planet and then having the entire population as a slave labour caste ..

Well, assuming they have technology that advanced, manufacturing robot that can replace labour completely wouldn't be that hard I think, and probably cheaper than maintaining human slave(and less unpredictability too) of course, ideology is a whole other matter
Old 2013-12-11, 23:50   Link #32211
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
You want to boost population? The only sure way is to pay for them with tax money. Make children cheaper and easier to raise, that's the only way.
Question is, HOW are you going to pay the colonists in space?

Quote:
Sadly polygamy and underage girls do not contribute to population growth; sex does not equal children in the modern day.
Heretic! Blasphemy! BURN THE WITCH!

You will not ruin the utopia with your backward, puritan thoughts!

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-12-12, 00:11   Link #32212
JokerD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
You want to boost population? The only sure way is to pay for them with tax money. Make children cheaper and easier to raise, that's the only way. Sadly polygamy and underage girls do not contribute to population growth; sex does not equal children in the modern day.
Err.. how about less entertainment. Where at night you have nothing else to do (no internet, TV, etc) I guessing that's why rural areas have more kids than urban areas...
Old 2013-12-12, 02:40   Link #32213
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Well, there's also the economics behind labour
Not to mention inhabitable real estate. Though I'm not sure how that would play out. Would there be a lot of aliens compatible with Earth's chemistry, or would we all be wildly poisonous to each other?
Old 2013-12-12, 03:25   Link #32214
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Cultivatable land? Could and expanding interstellar culture desire farmlands? Food? Imagine if their species industrialized to the point where their worlds couldn't provide food, but they had the technology to get to someone else's planets to make food their? They'd just need a planet with fertile lands...and perhaps farm laborers.
Old 2013-12-12, 05:45   Link #32215
Zakoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Not to mention inhabitable real estate. Though I'm not sure how that would play out. Would there be a lot of aliens compatible with Earth's chemistry, or would we all be wildly poisonous to each other?
We manage to find the exact replica of us but all their amino acid are D instead of L, try again humanity.
Old 2013-12-12, 09:11   Link #32216
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Special Report: In the land of the holy cow, fury over beef exports
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9BB02520131212

Atheists face death in 13 countries, global discrimination: study
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9B900G20131210
Old 2013-12-12, 09:27   Link #32217
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Atheists face death in 13 countries, global discrimination: study
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9B900G20131210
Here is the true god :

Old 2013-12-12, 09:40   Link #32218
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:

Well, labour via conquest wouldn't be very efficient, as history has shown. The only thing people would worry in addition would be some future "Space Hitler" who want to unite all of humanity under his banner.

Maybe we should have the mods to split the discussion so we can have a thread on space travel?
Old 2013-12-12, 09:51   Link #32219
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Here is the true god :

Now that you mention it... I never noticed the irony that is the American Dollar
Old 2013-12-12, 11:12   Link #32220
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
Now that you mention it... I never noticed the irony that is the American Dollar
Blame McCarthy era. It wasn't always that way.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international