Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-11-16, 04:42   Link #1
Trance
Translator In Despair
*Fansubber

Question About Comedy & Musical Manga

I've got a question about the comedy/musical manga, is it worth reading them or watch the anime instead? I know that most of them continue with the manga once the anime is done, but my question is from an addicted point of view , which is like, do you really get into the manga instead of the anime? Ok, romance and action might be suitable or acceptable, but I don't know about comedy/musical category, because about the musical manga, it's called musical, so there isn't much point in it if you don't listen, right? And about the comedy, I see that the Seiyu (Voice Actors) play a huge role in making the anime more interesting/funny than the manga, like Gintama. Any thoughts or comments are appreciated

1- Example of Comedy manga: School Rumble, Gintama.

2- Example of Musical manga: Nana, Nodame Cantabile.

That's what I got my mind on right now, but feel free to discuss other than these if you'd like, thanks
Old 2007-11-16, 04:47   Link #2
Tri-ring

It all depends on if you read Japanese or not I guess.
For comedy they are basically puns and what not so it loses alot of the comic through translation.
Music manga are actually slice of life manga in genre but when changed into anime it gives more depth with the music that surrounds the general story.
Old 2007-11-16, 06:07   Link #3
Kyomi
What do I know?

Though was School Rumble not out as an anime first then a manga? Then that would make the anime the original. (Can't be too sure about that one since I'm basing this upon the English release)

As Tri-ring said, stories like Nodame Cantabile are more focused on the character developments in the manga, while the anime focused more (Greatly) on the music scenes (even a bit too much IMO)
Old 2007-11-16, 06:14   Link #4
Trance
Translator In Despair
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyomi View Post
Though was School Rumble not out as an anime first then a manga? Then that would make the anime the original. (Can't be too sure about that one since I'm basing this upon the English release)

As Tri-ring said, stories like Nodame Cantabile are more focused on the character developments in the manga, while the anime focused more (Greatly) on the music scenes (even a bit too much IMO)
School Rumble Japanese manga started at 2002 while the anime aired on 2004, not sure about the US release though, and thanks for the comments and Tri-ring as well
Closed Thread