AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2013-02-18, 10:17   Link #1541
Kirayuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspirety View Post
Spoiler for Akane and Shizuru:
Spoiler for Answer:

Quote:
Also, another question.

Spoiler for Moon:
Spoiler for Answer:
Kirayuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-18, 10:28   Link #1542
Aspirety
Voyager Witch

Both of those answers to my fourth question just leave me with more questions...
I understand that he was meant to protect Kagari, but that's a bit of a non-answer. If Rewrite's precedence is anything to go by, then there has to be some kind of force or will that lead Kotarou there. Just "because he had to" isn't much of an answer here.

@Kirayuki, Kashima sent him? Where's the evidence of that? When Kashima sent a familiar to investigate the world, that familiar was surprised by Kotarou's presence. That to me is critical evidence against that theory.
Old 2013-02-18, 10:38   Link #1543
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
Well personally I just liked Kotarou's version of those routes, he was so much more mature and cooler than in any other route where he's either a standard teenager or a generic shounen action hero.
His relationship with Akane (and the fact that I love Akane) helped a lot.
There's also awesome side-characters (Esaka, Shimako, Tsukuno, Luis, etc) and intriguing plots that kept me hooked.

I see, so it sounds like the prevaiiling emotion that you felt was admiration or emphathizing with the same emotions of your favorite characters. That's interesting because I never felt that those characters were ever much of a plus or minus in their routes. That's also ironic because I felt that the scenes of violence (Instead of the characters in your case of the routes you favored less.) in these routes were much more gratuitous and therefore juvenile. I think arguably all of the fight scenes in the game were juvenile, except maybe Kotori's route which was much more suspenseful with some terror, which I really enjoyed. At least in Chihaya's route the fighting matched the tone of the rest of the route, which is probably why I enjoyed it so much, it just felt so natural there. I think I agree that outside of the fighting that the Akane and Terra routes had a more mature tone, but that really conflicted with the fighting that seemed really drawn out and chuuni-ish. Am I getting that right? Or did you guys feel amped up during the fight scenes as well? Maybe the fight scenes are a lot easier to ignore when you can fly by them, eheh.
Ceral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-18, 10:41   Link #1544
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Quote:
Akane and Terra felt so dragged out without ever getting to a point... I am really curious as to what emotions you guys felt during these routes
Spoiler:

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-18, 10:58   Link #1545
Kirayuki

Quote:
@Kirayuki, Kashima sent him? Where's the evidence of that? When Kashima sent a familiar to investigate the world, that familiar was surprised by Kotarou's presence. That to me is critical evidence against that theory.
It is not theory, It was already stated plain clear in the game by Kotarou itself, I think you are missing some lines here. You should try read again starting from the part where there was one familiar trying to attack Kagari until the part where Kotarou talk to himself in the forest.

Spoiler for Answer:
Old 2013-02-18, 10:58   Link #1546
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceral View Post
I see, so it sounds like the prevaiiling emotion that you felt was admiration or emphathizing with the same emotions of your favorite characters. That's interesting because I never felt that those characters were ever much of a plus or minus in their routes. That's also ironic because I felt that the scenes of violence (Instead of the characters in your case of the routes you favored less.) in these routes were much more gratuitous and therefore juvenile. I think arguably all of the fight scenes in the game were juvenile, except maybe Kotori's route which was much more suspenseful with some terror, which I really enjoyed. At least in Chihaya's route the fighting matched the tone of the rest of the route, which is probably why I enjoyed it so much, it just felt so natural there. I think I agree that outside of the fighting that the Akane and Terra routes had a more mature tone, but that really conflicted with the fighting that seemed really drawn out and chuuni-ish. Am I getting that right? Or did you guys feel amped up during the fight scenes as well? Maybe the fight scenes are a lot easier to ignore when you can fly by them, eheh.
Spoiler for All routes:
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-18, 11:27   Link #1547
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

I am re-reading this, when you have to look up words and have to focus on the meaning of each sentence and have time to, it really brings out the cheesiness in some of the lines. In English it's a quick glimpse and cheesy lines are easy to ignore. Just a funny observation.
Old 2013-02-18, 13:59   Link #1548
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Okay guys! Just finished Rewrite and I'm kinda struggling to come to peace with the ending.
Spoiler for Endgame spoilers:
All of these things are very true, yes. (Which is why I would prefer that an anime focus more on setting up Moon/Terra, but disagreements.)
Spoiler for Terra:

Quote:
Spoiler for More endgame spoilers~:
Why do so many people have trouble with this?
Spoiler for Moon/Terra:

This isn't hard, goddamn.
Quote:
That's also ironic because I felt that the scenes of violence in these routes were much more gratuitous and therefore juvenile.
Uh, that's. What.
That's really dumb and kind of insane, I'm sorry. Gratuitous violence is automatically juvenile? That's entirely dependent on presentation, it has nothing to do with the violence itself.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-18, 14:19   Link #1549
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
All of these things are very true, yes. (Which is why I would prefer that an anime focus more on setting up Moon/Terra, but disagreements.)
Spoiler for Terra:
Spoiler for Terra:
Old 2013-02-18, 14:27   Link #1550
Kirayuki

I had this crazy idea
Spoiler for All Rewrite:

Old 2013-02-18, 14:30   Link #1551
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirayuki View Post
I had this crazy idea
Spoiler for All Rewrite:

Spoiler for Terra:
Old 2013-02-18, 14:40   Link #1552
Kirayuki

Quote:
Spoiler for Terra:
Spoiler for Answer:
Old 2013-02-18, 19:19   Link #1553
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

Quote:
Uh, that's. What.
That's really dumb and kind of insane, I'm sorry. Gratuitous violence is automatically juvenile? That's entirely dependent on presentation, it has nothing to do with the violence itself.
Yes, by definition gratuitous means it's there for no reason or justification. Violence for no reason is insane. Note I'm not saying I think juvenile is bad, heck I said Chihaya's route was one of my favorites. I may very well enjoy gratuitous violence more than anyone in this thread, but when it becomes so obvious violence is there just for kicks and a violent scene only has whatever aura the writer could muster of enriching the plot, then it is "much more" gratuitous. And yes, I would argue that watching or reading violent acts that are done without meaning and deriving pleasure from it is something that's more associated with younger people or immaturity.

Spoiler for What routes I thought had gratuitous violence:

Gratuitous violence is insane, but what makes violence gratuitous is up to the reader and how they interpret the material. As much as I like Rewrite now, I don't think I can deny that it had a lot of gratuitous violence.

TLDR: Juveniles tend to like gratuitous things, yes.
Old 2013-02-18, 19:23   Link #1554
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Yes, by definition gratuitous means it's there for no reason or justification.
Ah, that's what you meant. People tend to use that term to mean "extreme violence", so I became confused.
In that case I don't think that any of the violence in Rewrite is gratuitous. It mostly serves the purpose of shifting or setting mood.
Quote:
Ryukishi07 had some criteria VisualArts put on him that his route needed to have an action scene!
Just checking... you have read his other works, right?
Old 2013-02-18, 19:34   Link #1555
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

Quote:
Ah, that's what you meant. People tend to use that term to mean "extreme violence", so I became confused.
In that case I don't think that any of the violence in Rewrite is gratuitous. It mostly serves the purpose of shifting or setting mood.

Just checking... you have read his other works, right?
Yea good point, I only read a little Higurashi but understand he does like to have some characters come on suddenly and violently. I dunno how violent scenes contribute in his other works toward meaning in the endings, but I guess a character turning psycho killer is sort of his MO :P.
Spoiler for Lucia's Route:

Last edited by Ceral; 2013-02-18 at 19:49.
Old 2013-02-18, 19:49   Link #1556
Magicflier

Can someone fill me in on what the difference is between Rewrite and Rewrite Harvest?
Magicflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-18, 19:50   Link #1557
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Yes, by definition gratuitous means it's there for no reason or justification. Violence for no reason is insane. Note I'm not saying I think juvenile is bad, heck I said Chihaya's route was one of my favorites. I may very well enjoy gratuitous violence more than anyone in this thread, but when it becomes so obvious violence is there just for kicks and a violent scene only has whatever aura the writer could muster of enriching the plot, then it is "much more" gratuitous. And yes, I would argue that watching or reading violent acts that are done without meaning and deriving pleasure from it is something that's more associated with younger people or immaturity.

Spoiler for What routes I thought had gratuitous violence:

Gratuitous violence is insane, but what makes violence gratuitous is up to the reader and how they interpret the material. As much as I like Rewrite now, I don't think I can deny that it had a lot of gratuitous violence.

TLDR: Juveniles tend to like gratuitous things, yes.
Spoiler for All routes:

And well...if you don't feel the same way let's agree to disagree because these things aren't something you can have explained to you and magically you feel the same way.
Old 2013-02-18, 19:54   Link #1558
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Yea good point, I only read a little Higurashi but understand he does like to have some characters come on suddenly and violently.
Er, no, that's not what I meant. Umineko is filled with fight scenes of that kind, I highly doubt that VisualArts put any sort of requirement on what he was supposed to write.
Quote:
Spoiler for Lucia's Route:
I personally thought that scene was incredibly entertaining due to Lucia's extreme angst and really a joy to read especially considering that the other fight scenes in the game don't have near that level of presentation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicflier View Post
Can someone fill me in on what the difference is between Rewrite and Rewrite Harvest?
Harvest Festa is a fandisc with short bonus scenarios for each heroine, as well as an RPG minigame called "Rewrite Quest".
Old 2013-02-18, 20:10   Link #1559
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicflier View Post
Harvest just has some side stories and ties up some loose ends in some of the epilogues in the original. Harvest Festa doesn't have any of the material in Rewrite, so you need to read Rewrite first. Harvest Festa is a fan disc, a bonus for the fans of the original, not a whole lot of new content. It has a RPG that plays like a bit like an endless dragon quest dungeon too.

Quote:
Spoiler for All routes:

And well...if you don't feel the same way let's agree to disagree because these things aren't something you can have explained to you and magically you feel the same way.
I see, that's true that the Romeo Tanakas fights felt more like descriptions of real life brawls whereas Chihaya's felt like reading a shonen manga. I really liked the flowery style of the latter though, I felt I got lost in the much more fantastic descriptions, I'd get giddy too. Also reading in Japanese makes things feel more mysterious to me though :P. Tanaka's fights I would just keep wishing for them to end so I could see some plot development though! I'd imagine that being fluent in your chosen language you could just click through those fights as soon as messages popped up without feeling like you might have missed something. It's cool I just wanted to evaluate my reading comprehension in Japanese, maybe try and understand what gets lost in translation too.

Quote:
Er, no, that's not what I meant. Umineko is filled with fight scenes of that kind, I highly doubt that VisualArts put any sort of requirement on what he was supposed to write.

I personally thought that scene was incredibly entertaining due to Lucia's extreme angst and really a joy to read especially considering that the other fight scenes in the game don't have near that level of presentation.
Lucia's route felt like the most typical of a galge character route though, if you read from the start of the common route to the end of Lucia's route, you'd get this sudden explosion of a full on action scene at the very end. Is that typical? I ask because I didn't read any Umineko and am curious.

Spoiler for Lucia's route:

Last edited by Ceral; 2013-02-18 at 20:29.
Old 2013-02-18, 20:55   Link #1560
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Lucia's route felt like the most typical of a galge character route though, if you read from the start of the common route to the end of Lucia's route, you'd get this sudden explosion of a full on action scene at the very end. Is that typical? I ask because I didn't read any Umineko and am curious.
This really isn't a good example, but here.
The fight at the end of Lucia's route reads pretty much exactly like his typical fight scenes... that said, I was expecting something like it so I wasn't that surprised by it.
No offense, but your negative impression of the fight scenes seems to be mostly be a result of your difficulty with the language...

Tags
bishoujo, hinoue itaru, key, maeda jun, romeo tanaka, ryukishi07, visual novel