G0rd0

wait so are they gonna release all the episodes like Devilman Crybaby
G0rd0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-11, 22:53   Link #62
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueknight78 View Post
wow, it's really kyoani "being kyoani and delivering another top note quality anime(ok sometimes they do some mistakes but overal they aways bring most of the times good to top shows).

Well really no words on that first episode, visual top, a good introduction, with a lot of ????, a really, really loveable;likeable character which remember another character from another serie(hello "sento"!!!).

my only question could be if violet is a "human" how the hell she survived after loosing "both arms", from a great blood loss this could do???, how she can be really a human, when she act soo much "robotic"???, if during the battle she take a lot of damage and serious wounders and even loose both arms she was supposed to be dead, specially from blood loss after loosing the arms, that part really do look crazy and don't make much sense (so far with the little hints we have).

It's really great and probably for me gonna be the "anime of the year", if keep that quality and they proper give all the needed info about her.
Maybe it was the adrenaline from the situation she was in that saved her. I think she's human. She's a child soldier who really lacks socialization and prob protected her psych by pretending to be a robot without feelings to do all the killing she had to do to survive.

They're trying to transition her back to civilian life. If the Major was still in her life, she wouldn't attempt to socialize on her own. She'd just follow him around. I hope the guy is really still alive and not dead as the 1st episode is hinting at.
Old 2018-01-12, 04:52   Link #63
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
That was beautifully animated as expected. The storytelling was pretty nice too.

I spent most of the episode wondering if Violet is a human or an android, but I'm pretty sure she looked younger in one of the flashbacks, so I'm leaning towards her being human despite her robotic behavior. I suppose her memories could be fabricated though.
Only relevant memories are ones about her superior and these seem to be real deal. I don't think she had any actual life before military service. She likely either were barely surviving in some slum or was raised as child soldier from very early age.

Of course that's too just guess.
Old 2018-01-12, 04:54   Link #64
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Have tried to stay away from background info as much as possible for this series and I'm glad I have - the first episode was intriguing on first watch.
Verso Sciolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-12, 16:35   Link #65
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Only relevant memories are ones about her superior and these seem to be real deal. I don't think she had any actual life before military service. She likely either were barely surviving in some slum or was raised as child soldier from very early age.

Of course that's too just guess.
The show outright tell us she was a child solider though:

Spoiler for scene where it happens:
Old 2018-01-13, 02:33   Link #66
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

One comment from one review of Episode 1 that I read was that the light novel was apparently heavy with prose. Sounds like it was above average difficulty to adapt.

A good starter but I hope it avoids getting too episodic with how Violet learns 'feelings'. Another underlying element would do it good.
Old 2018-01-13, 04:21   Link #67
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

I almost teared up right before the end. I was not expecting that, and it's the first episode! Damn.

I now know why everyone was shouting about this when it was shown somewhere months ago.

I know it was a kyoani work that I was watching, but I wasn't ready with what they did with this first episode.

It was good, too good that I actually came really close to experiencing Stendhal syndrome.

If I had to nitpick though, that transition from the front of the mansion to the company offices was quite jarring, but I'd attribute my confusion due to me being stunned at what I'm seeing.

My only wish is that this level of everything be consistent until the last episode.

Serious contender for anime of the year right here, even though it's the start of the year and this is the first episode!!!!
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-13, 05:02   Link #68
Roxanne
メンバー

Violet Evergarden will have 14 episodes in total.
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2018-01-16 at 21:38. Reason: Please use either thumbnails or the [images] tag when posting large images.
Roxanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-13, 08:13   Link #69
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

So I decided to rewatch the pilot on Netflix.

Good god. I almost feel like I don't want to watch anime on my PC anymore. I seriously wish we could get more proper simulcasts like this outside Japan, in 1080 of course.

I'm also already debating to buy the books it they ever get an English release.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-13, 23:04   Link #70
Sageblink
Speculation is wrong.

Hot damn, thank you ma'am !!
That was something else... The quality is top notch.
Sageblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-14, 07:55   Link #71
Irenesharda

I finally got a chance to watch this, and it was absolutely amazing.

I loved how beautifully animated it is and the story really sucks you in. All the characters are great. I love Violet, and Hodgkins, and Benedict, and Gilbert, and even that random guy who needed letter written to his sweetheart grabbed me.

The fantasy European-esque, post-WWI-ish setting is a great place for such a story and I can't wait to see the rest. I'm so happy this is on Netflix too, and that the Japan Netflix division actually put in the English subs and dub as well! (Not as common as you would think...)

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-14, 08:18   Link #72
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneMika View Post
wait so are they gonna release all the episodes like Devilman Crybaby
For the Netflix services in regions releasing it in Spring 2018, yes.
blakstealth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-14, 17:02   Link #73
Roxanne
メンバー

Violet Evergarden Official Art!
Roxanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-14, 18:04   Link #74
alex_drian

Ok is fucking beautiful, even for KyoAni standards, because you know, they make all visually beautiful even if the content is shit (I'm looking at you, Musaigen). Glad this is not the case. This kind of story is not precisely my kind but setting + animation is enough to keep me. Btw the amount of animation poured in Violet is obscene, a pair of steps above every other KyoAni heroines. I hope that they can keep with this level of quality.

Last edited by alex_drian; 2018-01-14 at 23:32.
alex_drian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-14, 19:11   Link #75
Applehell

Kyoani and I haven't been on greatest terms in last couple of years when come to their shows, but this certain one of those times going to something with low expectations can be really a good thing. Production is amazing but not like every been problem with this studio as long as I can remember. Storywise however is one few times found myself genuinely enjoying the content. The way shows communicates much what you need to understand about characters though minimal exposition (which itself is delivered through natural everyday conversations and not clearly stuff for the viewers, I'm looking at you Beatless...) while perfectly balancing that with visual direction, motion and cues getting across that things they don't say makes this one of most expressive shows I've seen in years. This easily the best premiere I've seen this season.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-14, 20:58   Link #76
AB079
Banned

Here is an interview with the director, beware of the answers and read it under your own risk.

Personally I think the director's vision about the adaptation is really good but some of his answers are mixed with some bullshit too (obviously he can't say something bad for reasons). For example when he praise the animation and their work saying what we're watching is their peak is pretty much bullshit considering that is clear the abuse of filters and the downgrade when the first episode is compared with the previews.

Another interesting detail is the fact that they are doing modifications here and there to fit his mindset about what is Violet Evergarden for him, which of course is a double-edged sword.

Spoiler for Interview:
AB079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-14, 21:44   Link #77
Kazu-kun

That was nice. Thanks for posting it.
Old 2018-01-16, 16:35   Link #78
shadow1296

this anime is beautiful, and the story seems that it will be really good, but if it is going to continue in trying to make me feel sad I am going to drop it, i don't like watching bittersweet or sad stories, I have enough stuff enough real life to cause me to feel sad I don't need it from anime
Old 2018-01-17, 10:32   Link #79
AB079
Banned

Episode 2 is just giving more confirmations about what's going to happen with the rest of the series, there is a huge amount of amazing visuals, soundtrack and backgrounds but less substance.

The episode was mainly Violet getting into the job in the Postal Company, Cattleya, Erica and Iris were introduced, showing part of the job and teaching to Violet how things are done. But suddenly out of nowhere, melodrama was added, involving characters that were introduced minutes ago with zero to none information for the viewer and just like that the drama was over, typical Kyoani development, failing at the basics.

At least we got more about Violet, who always hide her feelings but when it comes to Gilbert her facade falls off, it's pretty clear that she loves him and is desperate to find him. I'm not so sure about the information Hodgins have regarding Gilbert, something tricky is going on.

Anyways, not a good second episode to be honest, right now I'm not sure going in this direction was the right idea instead of following the LN.
AB079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-17, 10:57   Link #80
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

We knew that was coming ever since its premier.
And I still find it insulting.