Notices

Old 2014-07-11, 21:13   Link #61
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well that one way to start but got to like that snowmobile escape
Old 2014-07-11, 21:22   Link #62
Key Board
Carbon

Someone said I think these two are closer to Erric Harris and Dylan Klebold... which makes it much less appealing to me
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell

Last edited by Flower; 2014-07-12 at 15:16. Reason: Deleted portion of post that was deleted above.
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-12, 01:14   Link #63
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator

Uranium cannot be detonated by being shot with a bullet. Although I'm fairly certain several dozen blogs already pointed this out.
Haruyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-12, 01:16   Link #64
HandofFate

is eating in the bathroom really a thing for bullied kids, seems very inconvenient.
Old 2014-07-12, 01:17   Link #65
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Freaking pretty show

Also....obviously it's too much to expect, but depending on what the show is trying to portray or if the theme of terrorism is being used as an artistic tool to make a certain point, I hope this thread doesn't get hijacked by people with real life political agendas or those who see the world through black and white tinted lenses
Old 2014-07-12, 01:22   Link #66
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninryu View Post
I may be in minority, but I personally loath Light. Actually, I really didn't enjoy Death Note that much, probably because the main characters were so goddamn unlikable. So no, fantasy does not make terrorism okay.
While I liked Death Note, I'll agree with you Light is no hero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
Contrarily, killing for a reason isn't necessarily wrong. In a war, when you are fighting an opposing enemy to save many people you love, it is a choice rather than a "wrong."

Also, killing a mass murderer who could potentially kill many people at the push of a button isn't wrong either (from my POV).

It depends on why they are doing this. Their motivations seem deep and interesting. They mentioned something about protecting others... and this is what really got me interested. Protecting others, weakness, overcoming weakness, and desensitivity to death/life. It's certainly mysterious to me.

Nothing is ever black and white. The situation could be much more complex than it initially seems anyway... (e.g. if everyone was going to be killed anyway, and 9 & 12 did this to make others aware of it so they could prevent lots of future deaths somehow...)

TBH: After reading/watching To aru series, I stopped believing that any character couldn't be redeemable to me no matter what they did in the past...
While I agree wholeheartedly that morality is never absolute, I have to say, it would take a lot to make an act such as the ones committed in the first episode seem justifiable. That said, given their statement about growing up "at the institution", this, along with the fact that they have no real name, only a number, suggests they may have either been kidnapped and brainwashed, or else some created using kind of genetic engineering, and are simply pawns of a larger organization whose goals are yet unknown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haruyasha View Post
Uranium cannot be detonated by being shot with a bullet. Although I'm fairly certain several dozen blogs already pointed this out.
Could it have something to do with the container containing a highly radioactive material? That, or it could be yet another addition to the group of fictional elements known as "The Unobtanium group" (i.e. fictional elements with properties that make them either practically indestructible, extremely dangerous, or both, such as Unobtainium, Vibranium, Tiberium etc).
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-12, 02:09   Link #67
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN 119 View Post
Could it have something to do with the container containing a highly radioactive material? That, or it could be yet another addition to the group of fictional elements known as "The Unobtanium group" (i.e. fictional elements with properties that make them either practically indestructible, extremely dangerous, or both, such as Unobtainium, Vibranium, Tiberium etc).
Well, one would hope this anime should not use such vague plot devices. But the "dirty bomb" fear is definitely something. Plus the container looked like a high pressure tank to me - why else would it be spherical? So whatever's inside, there's probably at least some liquid/gas in high pressure, namely, something that can probably cause a mechanical explosion/rupture. With radioactivity added, of course, it could spray dangerous stuff around, which while not bad as an atomic bomb is still something you don't want to happen.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-12, 02:39   Link #68
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
is eating in the bathroom really a thing for bullied kids, seems very inconvenient.
I've seen it in other anime. But kids who are loners or bullied in school usually find a place no one goes to be alone and eat. Speaking from experience, I used to do that in elementary and early high school. Not in the bathroom persay, but somewhere where I was alone and wouldn't be bothered.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-12, 04:18   Link #69
Fevvers
a regular van veen

That was a solid episode. Direction was very crisp and fluid. Watanabe is really better at doing original pieces versus doing an adaptation (Kids on the Slope's first episode felt quite stilted to me in comparison). Although I think some of the script here could use some tweaking.

So far, I find Lisa the most intriguing (and heck, she looks like Lain!).

Hopefully the rest of the show delivers.
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-12, 05:40   Link #70
Dop
Mmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haruyasha View Post
Shooting the container of highly radioactive material (Plutonium is mentioned in a trailer) is going to end up with radioactive material scattered all over the place. Everyone in the room would get a high and very possibly fatal dose, and the whole plant would need to be shut down for cleanup.

That's also why the security guy outside was ordered not to fire. You don't need fission to kill people with nasty radioactive stuff.

That little ball of Plutonium is basically Chekov's Dirty Bomb and liable to show up in the third act. Something like that could make a city centre uninhabitable for years.

A big "Hi" to everyone at the NSA and GCHQ who are reading this thread after it triggered their monitors, by the way.
Dop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-12, 06:10   Link #71
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Watanabe has never failed me. So that’s why before I watch this anime, I was already certain that it’s gonna be a joyride, and what a joyride it is! Topnotch animation and background vistas, fitting BGM and appealing character designs. Similar to Cowboy Bebop, this first episode plunged us right into the action without much context, just character introduction and things going on. The pacing is very good. It doesn’t feel rushed nor dragging. I guess this goes without saying since Watanabe is totally behind this but I’ll say it anyway: totally hooked and definitely will follow this (even if this series’s quality went down as more episodes aired).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
A big "Hi" to everyone at the NSA and GCHQ who are reading this thread after it triggered their monitors, by the way.
They really do that?
Old 2014-07-12, 07:10   Link #72
com_gwp

^I think they have identification systems that pick up on key words/phrases?

I gotta hand it to Watanabe; Zankyou no Terror really feels like it was engineered to tick every box in its execution. From his cinematography and Mappa's incredible visuals to Yoko Kanno's haunting music, all of these elements represent some of the highest standards you'll find across the industry.

The only thing, and maybe this isn't much of a legit complain right now, is that it does feel as if it is being engineered to get its audience to like it. I don't really get the same kind of passion from Zankyou that Space Dandy seems to have in oodles, nor do I see much of Watanabe's brush strokes in this episode. Maybe (I'm hoping) we'll see more of these personal touches as the story goes on; an impressive staff like this couldn't possibly churn out something average.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-12, 10:25   Link #73
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
That little ball of Plutonium is basically Chekov's Dirty Bomb and liable to show up in the third act. Something like that could make a city centre uninhabitable for years.

Which brings up the interesting question -- why is a Japanese nuclear facility shaping plutonium into a sphere? So far as I know, the only use for a sphere of plutonium is the core of a nuclear bomb. We can guess that the facility Nine and Twelve escaped from wasn't an orphanage, so it's quite likely the Japanese government is up to something naughty in this show, but nukes?
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-12, 12:11   Link #74
cereal_killerxx

It captivated me.
cereal_killerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-12, 14:44   Link #75
AmeNoJaku
Franco's Phalanx is next!

Good start, but since the staff hasn't pulled anything close to Cowboy Bebop in the last decade, and airing in the NoitaminA slot, I wouldn't expect anything more than a watchable anime.

Also the redefined real-life terrorism comparisons are rather silly.
Old 2014-07-12, 15:35   Link #76
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
speaking from personal experience.. yes, and yes

sometimes it's better to not just eat. I found it better to just drink something with lots of calories.
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-12, 22:44   Link #77
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Weird that Kidotai officers would show up. I remember that the NPA made threat assessments with nuclear facilities as a terror target for terrorist or hostile commandos to attack that the SAT needs to be deployed. Not that they can change things.

Quote:
I dunno about eating, but I usually spent some time alone in other places of my school when I was bullied or harassed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
Someone said I think these two are closer to Erric Harris and Dylan Klebold... which makes it much less appealing to me
From the first episode in terms of the background, it doesn't seem to be the case. They seem to have qualms against those who imprisoned them.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island

Last edited by Yu Ominae; 2014-07-12 at 23:08.
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-14, 10:05   Link #78
Iron Maw
Banned

ep 1

That was pretty promising. No idea where this well go since we get much of a direction, but 12 and 9 clearly hint of some purpose for it with mention of institution and all. Whatever the case I'm on board for the time being.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-14, 16:57   Link #79
cleo

What an awesome start. It had me on the edge of my chair nearly the entire ep. I can't wait to learn more about the characters.
cleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-17, 12:39   Link #80
ookamigirl

Spoiler for plot:

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noitamina, psychological, terrorism